Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Serephina posted:

Shutup, I just replayed Cryptark the other day. It's such a good game, it's killing me that there aren't more like it.

I actually thought Gunhead had been cancelled, are they still working on it? Because yeah, "a game whose design document is literally just 'Cryptark the FPS' by the actual developers of Cryptark" is pretty appealing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The Steam forum has a dev pop by every now and then to give an update. Last one was like April, apparently art assets are basically done and they're now working on enemies/guns/stuff. They decided not to go Early Access route, which apparently if they had it woulda been available in 2020.

As a layman it's interesting to hear that - so without EA they're doing things by category rather than player-expereience chronology? Huh!

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Unrelated to anything, but I've been in a bit of a creative slump when it comes to mapping for Doom lately - so now I'm having fun just making a room and messing around with various GZDoom linedef actions in UDB. It's surprisingly cathartic. :)

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/Retro_Blazer/status/1552849401009344514

Retro Blazer re-enters the ring.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dpxLPbamnA

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kill em all. The bobs deserve it for being complete bullshit to fight in Infinity

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s60u5yGxS2g

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

they're probably handling heretic, hexen and redneck rampage. that's my guess
A Redneck Rampage remaster would actually be really interesting, I think, but it would require a lot more than just touching up the graphics and some gameplay minutiae. It's a game that could easily be rather good or at least pleasantly unique if it was made again from the ground up. I admittedly haven't actually played it, but it's kind of interesting to think about what a good RR remaster would actually require. Let's see:
- Basically a new engine
- Less janky enemy animations
- More forgiving hitscan
- Smoother weapon behaviour
- More enemy variety (adding in the Rides Again enemies, as a minimum)
- Redone key sprites
- Removing quite a lot of mandatory hidden switches

...Actually, it would probably be the best move to simply take Blood: Fresh Supply as a basis and replace all the assets, as has been discussed a while ago.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Just give it to the Elderborn folks and do a ground up remake.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, I know we where all desperately grabbing every game that came out back then, but even as a teen I could tell that Redneck Rampage didn't seem very good. Build engine or no, some things deserve to be left behind.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finished Ashes 2063 -- overall, it's really good, although the ending is abrupt and a bit ambiguous. (You kill the final boss and it literally does a suddenly, the dungeon collapses!.)

I had a theory, though, and based on playing through the Ashes Afterglow tutorial (keep a close eye on the tutorial messages, and look behind you at the end) I'm pretty sure that it's correct and I just released SHODAN into the world, as if things weren't hosed up enough already.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Another change about a potential Redneck Rampage remake is to E1L6: Sewer. After a couple steps the place starts rumbling and a wall crumbles to reveal the exit. Wow, how convenient!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I mean how you'd remake Redneck Rampage today without including a January 6th episode a la Duke It Out In DC, I don't know.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

Another change about a potential Redneck Rampage remake is to E1L6: Sewer. After a couple steps the place starts rumbling and a wall crumbles to reveal the exit. Wow, how convenient!

Ashes 2063: Dead Man Walking basically did this and I love it for it. There's a town where the NPCs tell you about the lengthy trip you'll have to make through the sewers to get to your destination, with detailed directions. The actual sewers consist of an intermission screen describing your slog through them, then two rooms of combat and an exit to the surface.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

maybe leave the absurdly bad build engine game as dead amd buried instead of dedicating a herculean amount of effort to get something else to wear it's skin

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Johnny Joestar posted:

maybe leave the absurdly bad build engine game as dead amd buried instead of dedicating a herculean amount of effort to get something else to wear it's skin

Where would be the fun in that?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the hell? what year is it lol. i feel like i heard about this game yeaaars ago

e: the gently caress it's been a full decade!!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

:chloe:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Johnny Joestar posted:

Yeah let's re-release Extreme Paintbrawl instead.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah let's re-release Extreme Paintbrawl instead.

There were many times in life I nearly bought this game, and still sometimes I wonder how it is to actually play.

Maybe todays the day, [digital storefront]

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Instead of trying to polish a turd that was never gonna shine in Redneck Rampage, people should focus their nineties 2.5D remake energy towards something worthy of the effort, something artistic and inspired, beautiful and brutal, something that was held back by the technology of the era but would flourish without its restraints

Of course, I mean ZPC :getin:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Redneck Rampage sucks poo poo. You’d pretty much have to make a new game to make it any decent.

I hope Nightdive is working on Turok 3 since that’s something that actually could be pretty decent not being constrained to 8fps. That game was way too ambitious for N64.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Barudak posted:

There were many times in life I nearly bought this game, and still sometimes I wonder how it is to actually play.

Maybe todays the day, [digital storefront]

AI that spends most of its time stuck on "geometry"; AI that stares off into space vacantly, making you wonder if it sees something you don't. NPCs that will arbitrarily shrink(?) and run around the arena as dolls for some reason. An aural soundscape that vacillates between complete and unnerving silence and this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw5Ya2IdDKU on a 120-decibel loop. NPCs that will occasionally throw up their hands and vanish, seemingly willing themselves out of existence.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Serephina posted:

Yea, I know we where all desperately grabbing every game that came out back then, but even as a teen I could tell that Redneck Rampage didn't seem very good. Build engine or no, some things deserve to be left behind.

I love Redneck Rampage, but it is not what one would call "traditionally good."

DoombatINC posted:

Instead of trying to polish a turd that was never gonna shine in Redneck Rampage, people should focus their nineties 2.5D remake energy towards something worthy of the effort, something artistic and inspired, beautiful and brutal, something that was held back by the technology of the era but would flourish without its restraints

Of course, I mean ZPC :getin:

Maybe someday it'll get an Aleph One port. Because visually that game looked awesome, I'd love to give it a shot on that alone.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The best way to experience Redneck Rampage is to just put the disc in a music player and listen to the banging soundtrack.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

catlord posted:

Maybe someday it'll get an Aleph One port. Because visually that game looked awesome, I'd love to give it a shot on that alone.

ZPC, Damage Incorporated, and Prime Target all run on (different) private forks of the Marathon engine. Modern ports would only be feasible if someone like Night Dive put the legwork into locating the IP holders, confirmed that the sources still even exist, and convinced them to license it out.

Or someone could decompile a few big hunks of 1990s PowerPC assembly, but I'd try the Night Dive way first.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Johnny Joestar posted:

I think the best option would be a fan project like Return of the Triad that uses all the assets to make something substantially better while keeping the same vibe. Just a few levels (like Return) would be fine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Redneck Rampage is “rustic”

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

haveblue posted:

ZPC, Damage Incorporated, and Prime Target all run on (different) private forks of the Marathon engine. Modern ports would only be feasible if someone like Night Dive put the legwork into locating the IP holders, confirmed that the sources still even exist, and convinced them to license it out.

Or someone could decompile a few big hunks of 1990s PowerPC assembly, but I'd try the Night Dive way first.

Yeah the Forbidden Marathon Trilogy is so obtuse that it's in that category where full-blown remakes would be less work than updated ports

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

haveblue posted:

I just always hope there's somebody out there reverse engineering old games and they'll suddenly go "hey, been working on this a while, what do you think" and suddenly we have a playable port of some weird old poo poo.

david_a posted:

I think the best option would be a fan project like Return of the Triad that uses all the assets to make something substantially better while keeping the same vibe. Just a few levels (like Return) would be fine.

I really like the idea of a Blood mod, I think that'd be great.

UnknownMercenary posted:

The best way to experience Redneck Rampage is to just put the disc in a music player and listen to the banging soundtrack.

Frankly, yeah.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

catlord posted:

Frankly, yeah.

I keep trying this and I can never get past the first track, it's just not my vibe :(

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think it's vital that everyone knows and understands that Dystopia was one of the top multiplayer mods of all time and it's criminal that so few people acknowledge the fact.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

haveblue posted:

I keep trying this and I can never get past the first track, it's just not my vibe :(

Fair. There's some other stuff on there that's less straight-rockabilly, like the Cement Pond songs, but otherwise it pretty well tells you what you're in for.

Edit:

Mordja posted:

I think it's vital that everyone knows and understands that Dystopia was one of the top multiplayer mods of all time and it's criminal that so few people acknowledge the fact.

Dystopia was really cool but I think I only ever played a little bit. That and Neotokyo had so much style that it's a shame they're dead multiplayer.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Neotokyo looked and sounded great (that soundtrack...) but I was def disappointed that it was basically just a CSlike. I could never much get into round based shooters.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Dystopia on the other hand was ambitious. Also the first time I can recall hearing audio hit markers.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Another forgotten all-timer: Eternal SIlence.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

haveblue posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhLze_ZwBIY

this song is a masterpiece how dare you

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I thought it was a "playing the data track" joke

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

LvK posted:

I thought it was a "playing the data track" joke

thankfully the best part of RR is that you'd just pop the cd in the boombox and bango good 2 go

that and my drunk dad yelling RR quotes at the top of his lungs while playing it lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mordja posted:

Dystopia on the other hand was ambitious. Also the first time I can recall hearing audio hit markers.

Dystopia was so, so good, holy poo poo. It had so much going on and mostly delivered on it, I can't think of any other mod besides Natural Selection that made complex gameplay work so well.