Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

The Question IRL posted:

The tweets stop an hour ago and one of the comments was that she was asked to stop tweeting.

I would point out that the people giving evidence almost certainly recieved legal advice before doing so. I have to imagine that the person saying "I had to joke about raping that officer as I was worried that she might falsely accuse me of raping her" is not following any professional legal advice.

"Underhand" here is definitely code for "I think she reported for me something bad enough there was some followup"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

Is there some sort of Star Trek style colour coding on the trouser choices of toffs? Like mustard means farmer, red means banker etc.

I choose to believe they are the Ceremonial Trousers Of The Feudal Lords of Brecqhou

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

ijyt posted:

RE: earlier vote starmer chat, lol just lol if you're not spoiling your ballot.

:agreed:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1552991350160871425

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Is there some sort of Star Trek style colour coding on the trouser choices of toffs? Like mustard means farmer, red means banker etc.

Close, red typically means wanker.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Virtue signalling for racists.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

lol Lib Dems gonna Lib Dem:

https://twitter.com/DannyVet/status/1552967093674512385

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Well let's hope his red trousers means he'll die after he beams down to the planet

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If Lib dems want to clean up politics then they should all *gets tackled by the mod pre-cogs*

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MarinaPurkiss/status/1553005832207474688

https://twitter.com/bainard/status/1552688299717918720

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 29, 2022

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

big scary monsters posted:

Close, red typically means wanker.
Laddy, don't ye think ye should... rephrase that?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

The tweets stop an hour ago and one of the comments was that she was asked to stop tweeting.

I would point out that the people giving evidence almost certainly recieved legal advice before doing so. I have to imagine that the person saying "I had to joke about raping that officer as I was worried that she might falsely accuse me of raping her" is not following any professional legal advice.

That was a great one. as if the man went in thinking "What really stupid poo poo can I say."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

bessantj posted:

"What really stupid poo poo can I say."

ah yes my posting strategy

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Clive Lewis sticking his oar in (mildly with a share not his own words)

https://twitter.com/labourlewis/status/1552695987889733632

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
keith wants to be cameron in 2010 lol

the pathetic oval office

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

I'm guessing it would be Rich Guy Prison where there aren't any cells you just get second-rate caviar.

It could also be the one where you trip over and accidentally hang yourself from the rafters whilst unconscious while the cameras in your cell mysteriously fail while the guards are on break.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

crispix posted:

keith wants to be cameron in 2010 lol

the pathetic oval office

Genuinely Keith might be worse than Cameron. I think their ideologies are about the same, but the status quo has moved way to the right since 2010 and Keith will build on that as opposed to the status quo Cameron inherited.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
My grandad is Irish and was born there, and I believe this makes me eligible to apply for an Irish passport. Has anyone ITT successfully gone through the process?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Miftan posted:

Genuinely Keith might be worse than Cameron. I think their ideologies are about the same, but the status quo has moved way to the right since 2010 and Keith will build on that as opposed to the status quo Cameron inherited.

Cameron was willing to spend political capital pushing for gay marriage. Keith, a human rights lawyer, isn't willing to go to bat for trans people.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Regarding my previous post, you do not, under any circumstances, have to hand it pigfucker.

It's not about him raising a bar it's Keith failing to clear it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
wuruwrugh cumpulsury singing of our patriotic brutush nationul unthum in patriotic brutush schools :bahgawd:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
who even is advising keith lol

i could do it

like just with these stupid posts

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Lamont posted:

My grandad is Irish and was born there, and I believe this makes me eligible to apply for an Irish passport. Has anyone ITT successfully gone through the process?

Might require Irish Citizenship (Citizenship By Descent) to get one if you are a grandchild: https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/

If you are born in Ireland (North or South) then there is no barrier to getting one.

I'm born & bred in N.I. but haven't bothered getting one yet. :rolleyes:

edit to give more info

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lamont posted:

I keep meaning to start the ball rolling on that as my grandfather was from Belfast. I have heard the current time to getting it is like 2 years though.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

The_Doctor posted:

I keep meaning to start the ball rolling on that as my grandfather was from Belfast. I have heard the current time to getting it is like 2 years though.

yeah I really should have done it when Brexit was first announced, but I didn't have the money back then!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lamont posted:

Everyone is trying to get one since Brexit started, so the queue is long but its not as bad as it used to be. And will be longer the more distant you are from being from God's own people.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Might require Irish Citizenship (Citizenship By Descent) to get one if you are a grandchild: https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/

If you are born in Ireland (North or South) then there is no barrier to getting one.

I'm born & bred in N.I. but haven't bothered getting one yet. :rolleyes:

Same, but going to do so soon.
It's weird, my father and everyone his age all got British passports, just to save time and hassle at border check points.
If you had an Irish passport, chances were that you were stopped and searched. And if the bastards wanted to ruin your day, they would make sure you missed your flight or such.
So I got the same.
Nowadays its the opposite, searching the brits for food and contraband.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

crispix posted:

who even is advising keith lol

i could do it

like just with these stupid posts

i sort of thought you were

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Everyone is trying to get one since Brexit started, so the queue is long but its not as bad as it used to be. And will be longer the more distant you are from being from God's own people.

As in distance, or lineage? My great-(x)-nan left Cork during the Great Famine but I doubt I'd be eligible. Also would feel cheeky when I have other nationalities I can more easily obtain by family.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The furthest out is grandparent, I believe. Any great-s in front and you're not eligible.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, that's what I thought.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The_Doctor posted:

The furthest out is grandparent, I believe. Any great-s in front and you're not eligible.

Yeah, this.
Basically it depends on what documents you can send them showing you are related to your grandparents and they were irish. Just like every other country really.

I think as Im from NI, I can walk into any police station with my British passport (that says Im NI) and rent agreement here, and have any random garda 'witness' that my details are true, and thats enough for the irish passport application form.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 29, 2022

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
There's a lot in this: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/29/boris-johnson-lords-cronies-legitimising-bribery

quote:

This draft plan to add 39 to 50 new Tory peers includes an extraordinary requirement that each new peer sign away their right to make their own judgment on legislation that comes before them. They have to give, the paper says, a written undertaking to attend and vote with the government. [...]The media, according to the Crosby firm’s paper, can be easily blindsided by the appointment of a few controversial figures or well-known celebrities, which will distract journalists away from the real issue, which is the sheer scale of the gerrymandering.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I’m probably not going to vote labour, given that the party is now anti-union and still institutionally racist.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
irish citizenship test includes demonstrating that you can call a person a oval office in a friendly way

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

happyhippy posted:

I think as Im from NI, I can walk into any police station

As a (probably slightly older) fellow Norn Ironer, you just gave me a sharp pang of unexplained anxiety.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
My Irish grandad (so Irish he could actually speak Irish) was born in London because of the whole trying to escape the civil war thing so I'm SoL

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
yeah polis stations here have never really been normalised, they're still sort of fortresses

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

a pipe smoking dog posted:

My Irish grandad (so Irish he could actually speak Irish) was born in London because of the whole trying to escape the civil war thing so I'm SoL

If he was that culturally Irish, did he not ever get a passport?

Not having a go or anything. If he got a passport, even if he never set foot in Ireland, you can get one too

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Try to get his birth certificate then, that would prove it.

My mum is so irish, she was born on 22nd Sept, but not registered on the birth cert until 24th Sept because they were drinking so much in celebration.
So her official birthday is the 24th, shes 2 days younger than she should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Is there some sort of Star Trek style colour coding on the trouser choices of toffs?

yeah, any colour means "oval office"