Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

ninjahedgehog posted:

It's a really cool bit of animation storytelling how the Purge Troopers counter your force powers -- the staff-armed ones dig their weapon into the ground to avoid being knocked around, and the rifle-wielding ones snapshot you with their blaster to knock you off balance. Really sells the fact that even though they're Muggles, they've spent their entire career learning how to kill Jedi and know every trick in the book to even the odds

That's cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

painedforever posted:

It seemed as though doing Push and Pull have a bit of a "wind-up", so I couldn't tell if it was feasible to use those during a close melee. Like, would you get wailed on if you tried to do a quick Push. Because I saw Lazyfire Push the Purge Trooper and the Stormtrooper as soon as they landed, but there was a bit of distance between him and the baddies.

That is pretty good, I did notice that.

Push and Pull don't have a "wind-up" but instead a "build-up". Cal will fire off a Force Push as soon you release the button. A quick tap and he'll do it fast enough to give you room in a close range melee fight. If you hold it down he'll build Force energy so the Push/Pull is stronger and hit multiple enemies.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

At the time I recorded this my ceiling was leaking from a burst pipe I couldn't locate and I was already angry at water falling from the sky. This game hurt me in ways I may never recover from psychologically and now it lives on the internet forever or at least until YouTube shuts down.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's an interesting choice to have simple push and pull so far into the game considering how primary they were in Jedi Outcast and Academy. I really loved how you got basic powers from those games at once, even the Lightsaber throw.

Has anyone tried playing these games with Mouse + Keyboard? I'm not sure how well some of those combination moves would play. Then again, the last time I played Outcast and Academy was so long ago that I don't use the same control scheme that I used to use.

Anyway, after Pull, the death counter looks like:

Scrapper - Falls: 1 // Total: 1
Droid - Enemies: 2 Falls: 7 // Total: 9 (10)
Village - Enemies: 2 Falls: 3 Hazards: 1 // Total: 6 (16)
Ruins - Falls: 5 Hazards: 1 // Total: 6 (22)
Walker – Falls: 1 // Total 1 (23)
Return None // Total: 0 (23)
Camp – Falls: 3 Hazards 1 // Total 4: (27)
Zeffo: – Falls: 2 // Total 2: (29)
Sister: – Enemies: 1 // Total: 1 (30)
Pull: – Falls: 2 // Total 2 (32)

My own count is based on yours and I very clearly missed a couple falls or double numbered them. I'll add up the new deaths for next time and hopefully we're in sync after that. I remember there being only one in this video and another in the next, but there are three in 13. It was almost four because I tried to mark down one of them not realizing the game was going to place me back on the thing that killed me a second before.

I think the game even recommends playing this on a controller, and I haven't even attempted it with a M/KB setup. I have a weird aversion to playing a lot of non-shooters with the mouse and keyboard, though. The exception being RPGs and other isometric games. There's something about the economy of space and function from a controller for games like this that make me feel like it's the "right" way to play.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The way you're *supposed* to do that is to grab a torch from right next to them and go around to the left (facing the orb from the torches). Throw a torch, hit it with slow, jump the gap and grab it before slow expires.

Then you don't notice how thoroughly the water wraps around the roots and have to do it again because you weren't a foot closer.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
If it makes you feel any better, I solved your lantern issue in the video the exact same "game not intended" way.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Did you get around to burning the vines where you Push the Stormtrooper into the bottomless abyss? Think there was a BD box there.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Just FYI, the video ain't showing on your youtube page

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Bruceski posted:

The way you're *supposed* to do that is to grab a torch from right next to them and go around to the left (facing the orb from the torches). Throw a torch, hit it with slow, jump the gap and grab it before slow expires.

Then you don't notice how thoroughly the water wraps around the roots and have to do it again because you weren't a foot closer.

I like my way of loving around for 20 minutes vs. actually thinking about solutions. It seems cathartic when I finally succeed.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just FYI, the video ain't showing on your youtube page
I'll fix that tomorrow. I usually post here and then set the video to go live at around the same time. I'm somewhat interested in seeing how many people from just the thread are watching as things are posted. It better be a lot or I am going to be a complete diva about all future updates.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

I like my way of loving around for 20 minutes vs. actually thinking about solutions. It seems cathartic when I finally succeed.

Yeah, any solution that works. It took me like an hour to figure that out my first time, another 15 minutes to pull it off, and I thought it was a glitch until I looked it up. They never ask you to combo powers like that again.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That seems like a really badly designed puzzle.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That seems like a really badly designed puzzle.

I should add that when grabbing the midair-frozen torch the slow is cancelled before the pull kicks in so it drops 3 or 4 feet before grabbing and can hit the ground if you didn't plan for that.

Yeah it's an interesting idea but bad execution.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Bruceski posted:

I should add that when grabbing the midair-frozen torch the slow is cancelled before the pull kicks in so it drops 3 or 4 feet before grabbing and can hit the ground if you didn't plan for that.

Yeah it's an interesting idea but bad execution.

I'm supposed to slow a torch there? BD's hints are straight on "burn the roots" not "how about you combine all three of your powers?" in nature. So far as I recall this is the only really terrible puzzle in the entire game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

I'm supposed to slow a torch there? BD's hints are straight on "burn the roots" not "how about you combine all three of your powers?" in nature. So far as I recall this is the only really terrible puzzle in the entire game.

I agree, I can't think of any others like this. Even a couple I did by accident I could see afterwards what I was supposed to notice.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
I realized the game was on Origin Plus so I decided to start playing along and got to this part yesterday. I didn't realize you were supposed to slow it in mid air, I just turned on the magnets opposite the torch and just tossed it so that it got stuck to the wall and then went and grabbed it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sir Potato posted:

I realized the game was on Origin Plus so I decided to start playing along and got to this part yesterday. I didn't realize you were supposed to slow it in mid air, I just turned on the magnets opposite the torch and just tossed it so that it got stuck to the wall and then went and grabbed it.

...SON OF A!

I suspect that's the actual way you're supposed to do it, it makes so much sense.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Looked up the solution on youtube and they used the magnets as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWaEP1Um590&t=52s

edit: that's probably why there's that room off the main hall which has a random magnet pull some torches out of a wall to burn some vines. To make you realise what the magnets are for.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Well, that was not the best designed puzzle...

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

It was mentioned in the thread that the game was supposed to run at 30FPS and that a lot of my issues with freezing and hitching and missing audio may be due to me having it at 60FPS. So, in an effort to make everything better I changed the FPS before I started playing and it seemed to have helped slightly. Until it didn't. This is, undoubtedly the worst video I've ever put out from a technical standpoint. Changing the FPS without restarting the game somehow broke it so hard that it effected the voice recorder software I use. I lost two segments of audio and could only pinpoint the time of the first segment and how long was lost and I did what I could to get that back to the right point. The second break I had less success with, it's somewhere near the end and is about ten seconds. The one I found and corrected was two minutes. The game audio was totally fine, this was just on the voice recording side. After the video ends I switch it back to 30 FPS and the next recording was totally fine, same with the one after that. This is really perplexing and drives me crazy that it happened and I'm pushing this out to people because it's just so low quality.

The reason I didn't re-record this, which I would have normally done, is because the game doesn't have multiple save files and it would have required that I completely restart the campaign. If the next videos were broken to this level I would have taken the loss and just redone it all, but this is a blip, not a trend.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I was contemplating getting this game on PC. I think after what you describe I will wait for more patches.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's a three year old game so it's about as patched as it'll ever be.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

achtungnight posted:

I was contemplating getting this game on PC. I think after what you describe I will wait for more patches.

I wouldn't hold my breath. It came out in 2019, and somehow I doubt EA's post-launch support on single player games is anything special.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I played it on PS4 and aside from some loading hitches, it ran fine.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
...Huh. Was that on the only path back to the ship? Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me - for instance I think I forgot that we were on Zeppo and no longer on Kashyyyk - but I thought that there would have been a more direct path back to the Mantis. I thought going into that old wreck and such was just optional stuff, but you ran into what seemed like Plot on the way back.

Is this plot, or is this some DLC content?

Orb: – Falls: 1 // Total: 1 (33)
Broke: – Falls: 1 // Total: 1 (34)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Bounty Hunter capture is plot. Apparently someone decided we needed their scum in the game.

PC- guess I'll be content with PS4 and 5 then. Oh well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

They're hanging out on every way back.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

There's three possible paths back to the Mantis, each of which has a different bounty hunter waiting. You can't win the fight, it's a scripted (and unblockable, but fortunately one-time) capture.

Remalle fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 29, 2022

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I never had any problems with PC so ymmv

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i appreciate that Cal's priorities after being captured are:
1. oh no where is my friend, where is my robot buddy, i am very worried about bd-1
2. hmm, no lightsaber, should probably do something about that too i guess

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

biosterous posted:

i appreciate that Cal's priorities after being captured are:
1. oh no where is my friend, where is my robot buddy, i am very worried about bd-1
2. hmm, no lightsaber, should probably do something about that too i guess

You're right. Man has his priorities in order and I can't disagree. He has joined the Kyle Katarn school of Jedi. A Lightsaber is a tool and nothing more. It's the person that matters.

I hope your technical issues work out for you, Lazyfire. Bad stuttering like that can be a huge issue, especially in action games like this.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Mr. Baps posted:

I wouldn't hold my breath. It came out in 2019, and somehow I doubt EA's post-launch support on single player games is anything special.

And they've already announced the sequel, so why bother with the old game?

But you'd think Disney would have forced EA to make the game perfect, and it's weird that they didn't.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

painedforever posted:

But you'd think Disney would have forced EA to make the game perfect, and it's weird that they didn't.
Considering the last three main Star Wars movies? No, it's not that weird.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Gotta say, watching this LP is making me want to reinstall this game and give it another go, I always get bored or brunt out halfway through these types of games.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

As promised, the technical issues magically cleaned up once I restarted the game without changing the FPS. It runs noticeably better. That's great news because I wouldn't want this fight or the exploration to fall victim to those freezes or the bad frames/skipped frames from the last few episodes. The fight here is against some of my least favorite enemies, creatures, but it's a great skill check for where we are in the game as the difficulty is going to ramp up from here on out. We're going to say goodbye to the Wookies relatively soon and hello to a new planet that hates you and everything you stand for. It's also where the plot really starts to pick up again after sort of stagnating a bit since our fight with the Second Sister. Unfortunately, we still have something close to an hour and a half AFTER this video before we get there because things ended up taking longer than I remember. We do end up with some nice new abilities that make life easier/better.

Note on the release schedule: I have the worst sense of timing. I was really hoping to be way past this point in both the game and in posting videos, but the stuff with the previous episode was a bit demoralizing to say the least. This video has been uploaded and set to private for over a week now and was going to post it multiple times, but the week was a little insane with work and I finally got the last bits of fixing my ceiling done over the course of a couple days, which I ended up getting involved in maybe a bit more than was expected.

That all led to me forgetting to post this, but what's the real problem for the next few weeks is that I'm headed for a long weekend in NYC so probably won't record or edit this week at all AND my wife got offered a new job in a different state and so we're on a pretty aggressive schedule to fix up and sell the house while also finding a new place in the destination city. That's pulling a good deal of my time right now and could delay at least a few more updates. I'm hoping once I get back I'll be able to put some time on the weekdays into recording and editing to help things along, but we'll see.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
The rolly bugs were on the first planet you go to, they were right in the first area.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The delays are understandable, thanks for letting us know.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I love Lightsaber throw. Jedi Outcast/Academy wisely put that as the right-click attack.

Arena: -- Falls: 3 // Total: 3 (37)

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Argh! Oh nooo! How dare you have a life beyond my entertainment needs outside of the internet? Nooo, this is unacceptable, etc., etc., would you like some cheese to go with that whine...

Take care man. We'll try to keep things hopping while you're gone.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So did Greez sell Cal's location to the mob to settle his debts? That doesn't seem like something you just get over.

I'm inclined to forgive Cere because of the whole 'tortured by sith' thing she had going on at the time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So did Greez sell Cal's location to the mob to settle his debts? That doesn't seem like something you just get over.

I'm inclined to forgive Cere because of the whole 'tortured by sith' thing she had going on at the time.

They never spell things out, but -- if I remember right -- if you fly around more before it happens you get a bit more dialogue about Greez and his gambling problem, notably that he's still doing it during offscreen downtime as the game's going on and how pumped he gets when he wins. Given the characters my take on it is that when talking trash at a table he let enough slip that Sorc Tormo put the pieces together, and then "made him an offer" in every euphemistic sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

DreadUnknown posted:

The rolly bugs were on the first planet you go to, they were right in the first area.

You have to remember that I recorded those first few videos between November and January. I just forgot they were a thing.

painedforever posted:

Argh! Oh nooo! How dare you have a life beyond my entertainment needs outside of the internet? Nooo, this is unacceptable, etc., etc., would you like some cheese to go with that whine...

Take care man. We'll try to keep things hopping while you're gone.

I know it's a weird thing to think people are going to be upset by a slow roll of updates because I've seen LPs here that go over a year between updates and people are understanding. It's just been a really weird set of circumstances at play here. It looks like the heatwave we're getting will have broken by the time I get back, so it won't be near impossible to not die sweating while recording and that should speed things up.