Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Digital Jedi posted:

Alex is live on his show now instead of being at court

lol the judge chewed him out yesterday for that she's going to throw her gavel at him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Digital Jedi posted:

Contempt of court charge? Please? Throw his rear end in an Austin jail.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He can't be in court because his verbal diarrhoea and narcissistic personality disorder require him to regularly spout poo poo in front of a camera.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Robo Reagan posted:

lol the judge chewed him out yesterday for that she's going to throw her gavel at him

is this the same judge who was in the video discovering he was on the air when his defense lawyer said he was sick? if so she is gonna be super pissed

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

is this the same judge who was in the video discovering he was on the air when his defense lawyer said he was sick? if so she is gonna be super pissed

That was in CT.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I just found this thread on the Knowledge Fight subreddit. They were putting together some questions to ask the legal team after the trial should they be on the podcast but Ogden just started answering the questions this morning before the trial.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just tuned in, who the gently caress is this guy?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Grand Fromage posted:

An actual journalist as an expert witness.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Grand Fromage posted:

Retired journalist doing the whistle-stop version of the concept of journalistic ethics.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Grand Fromage posted:

The guy on the stand is an actual journalist sitting as expert witness on what this whole "responsible journalism" thing is, and the lawyer currently up is very bad at this whole "defense" thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Oh. Well that's no fun, bring back the clown car.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
My twin sister is an attorney. One thing I have noticed about her (especially since going to law school) is that a lot of times when I talk to her, or when she asks me questions, I feel like the question she is asking me is not really the question she is asking me and it's really to get to some other information (not that she cross examines me or anything). Watching the attorney yesterday talk to Owen, it instantly made me think of my sister.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

"But like, is harm even real? What even is defamation?"

bone napoleon
May 9, 2012

there is nothing
Hah, in this case it really *is* about ethics in journalism!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh. Well that's no fun, bring back the clown car.

The defense lawyer is a big enough clown all on his own.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tree Dude posted:

The defense lawyer is a big enough clown all on his own.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

He's currently trying to get the guy to say that journalistic ethics don't exist if there's no script, as in a call-in show, or a man on the street interview. The thing being, Alex Jones often uses the information he gets from random callers as established fact in subsequent episodes.

El Fideo fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 29, 2022

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Yeah he's trying to get the expert to say that all of the broad categories of things Alex does are ethically ok (i.e. ad hoc interviews), but the answer to all of these are "depends on the context." Like, its ethical to do "person on the street" interviews if you're trying to establish some sort of pulse of common opinion, but not if you're trying to establish facts about an event (unless those people were 1st party witnesses to the event in question). I actually think the witness isn't doing a great job of explaining why context matters but I'm also not sure if he's allowed to.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Defense seems to have slipped into defending Alex’s War from criticism hammering this idea that a documentarian just handing a freak a free platform is good journalism.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
"Did Infowars physically force people to take in their exact point of view, the point of view they claim to be the One Truth against the Devil and the Globalists? No? Aquit!"

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
this motherfucking defense lawyer says "rother" like will menaker and now I really hate him

red19fire
May 26, 2010

It feels like he’s really trying to get this witness to say that Alex is a journalist so he’s protected by free speech but not the kind that is bound by professional ethics or integrity.

Or even the absolute bare minimum citations you’d expect from a grade schooler’s first book report.

E: also lol at it being up to the viewers to do the editors’ job of separating fact from fiction.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 29, 2022

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Stefan Prodan posted:

this motherfucking defense lawyer says "rother" like will menaker and now I really hate him

Random af but Seth McFarlane does this with every character he voices and it makes me seethe for no reason

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Lots of sidebar this morning.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

lmao he really tried to call it a mistrial

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
"A second phase for evidence regarding net worth"

Can't wait to find out just how much money Alex/Infowars/FSS are really raking in.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Don't really understand the details, but the defense moved for a mistrial because they claimed the prosecution was arguing during the wrong phase of the trial and the Judge was like "Dude, the phase that you think is there doesn't exist. Its one phase."

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

That last objection was a chef's kiss moment.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
He has called for a mistrial for some out-of-his-rear end reason after every single witness and will continue to do so as this progresses.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Do they even know what sort of court they're in?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Trillhouse posted:

lmao he really tried to call it a mistrial

Motherfucker has done that every 2-3 hours since Tuesday.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ryde posted:

Don't really understand the details, but the defense moved for a mistrial because they claimed the prosecution was arguing during the wrong phase of the trial and the Judge was like "Dude, the phase that you think is there doesn't exist. Its one phase."

In a standard bifurcated trial, they determine liability and damages for such in the first phase then move to the second phase for punitive damages. This trial, on the other hand, is bifurcated only insomuch that there is no discussion of Jones’ net worth in the first phase as that relates exclusively to the punitive damages. They also cannot discuss punitive damages in front of the jury or tell the jury there is a cap on punitive damages.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Still doing the ‘Alex is just a humble radio call-in show host, he has no control over what callers say’ routine. But as anyone who has tried to prank call a radio station would know, they have screeners who are supposed to keep the riff raff out.

$100k a year to let any psycho call in seems like a great gig.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

This time he did it because the plaintiff's attorneys brought forth evidence towards the compensatory damages, when this is the punitive damages phase, you honor! and the judge had to tell him that there are no separate phases for different kinds of damages.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Mr. Nice! posted:

In a standard bifurcated trial, they determine liability and damages for such in the first phase then move to the second phase for punitive damages. This trial, on the other hand, is bifurcated only insomuch that there is no discussion of Jones’ net worth in the first phase as that relates exclusively to the punitive damages. They also cannot discuss punitive damages in front of the jury or tell the jury there is a cap on punitive damages.

But basically the defense didn't understand the format of the trial, which is just a facepalm moment.

The prosecution must be beside themselves with glee that they're working against such clowns.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Isn't that like basic prep for any witness ever?

Answer only the question you are asked in as few words as possible is preparing for trial 101. Answering a question that is bad for you with Yes/No or a very simple sentence is almost always better than rambling about it trying to justify it.

This is another area where the defense is really, really bad because even their rehearsed answers are too drat long. If Daria was a competent corporate representative almost all her answers would have been Yes/No/I do not know/I do not recall/Yes and (10 words or less).

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Lawlicaust posted:

Answer only the question you are asked in as few words as possible is preparing for trial 101. Answering a question that is bad for you with Yes/No or a very simple sentence is almost always better than rambling about it trying to justify it.

This is another area where the defense is really, really bad because even their rehearsed answers are too drat long. If Daria was a competent corporate representative almost all her answers would have been Yes/No/I do not know/I do not recall/Yes and (10 words or less).

"Anything you say can and will be used against you" isn't just for the cops.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
came for the jury asking Owen if he thinks they, the jury, are lizard people

stayed for the everything else

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Digital Jedi posted:

lololol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Please tell me he's complaining/discussing the trial.