Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Please, please, please, please let this be leading into Mary saying "You're dating one of your patients? That's unbelievably unethical and inappropriate!"

Like Mary Worth cares about ethics. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Murdstone posted:

The Terrible Tempered Mr Bang is a dick who terrorizes his family and everyone around him. Why do they put up with it? Why does he have such power over the people of Toonerville?
He snapped all their legs years ago so they couldn't run from him, thereby causing the famous 'toonerville squat' posture problem endemic to the region.
He snapped his own legs after he'd snapped everyone else's, just so he could get angrier than ever when it was still hard to catch them.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Facts and Logic Online Animals

Shut Up About Buying A New Car

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Sep 6, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Currently on Hiatus) (May 8-9, 1991)

Big Nate

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True July 4, 1919

And He Did! July 18, 1919

Cat Tales June 18, 1925

Oaky Doaks December 12, 1936

Mopsy February 22, 1938

Sweatin’ It Out July 3, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems September 2, 1952

“Steve” lol

Those Were the Days August 17, 1961

Wee Pals September 5, 1966

Dogbert June 29, 1967

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Currently on Hiatus) (May 8-9, 1991)

I was ten years old when the sabbatical took place. Each morning, my father would open the paper and read the first line of the strip and 99% of the time I could give the rest of the lines.

I'm not sure what this says about me. But the comic strip threads are why I paid :10bux: so...

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

She just has everyone's poo poo jumbled all together in a big pile? That's going to be interesting when it's time to give it back.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

She just has everyone's poo poo jumbled all together in a big pile? That's going to be interesting when it's time to give it back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0gb9v4LI4o

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

As much poo poo as Rex Morgan rightfully gets, it's great at accurately portraying weirdo patients.

2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/28/02

Brenda Starr 3/3-5/49

Smokey Stover 3/27/49

Everyday Movies 5/27/35

"I wish that Relief check would come this morning -- I got a sure thing in the fourth race." -

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 29, 1952)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Here's the cover for next Monday's new Lottie story, Solver: Green Door

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Here’s a cover to conjure with. Good luck interpreting this one. I’m sure you’ll have worked it out by Monday – see you then.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons
]

Lowest score means he won, and either shouldn't be on the hook for drinks or wouldn't need to have cheated. If you can't even get a golf joke right, how can you call yourself a newspaper cartoonist?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ukonvasara posted:

Lowest score means he won, and either shouldn't be on the hook for drinks or wouldn't need to have cheated. If you can't even get a golf joke right, how can you call yourself a newspaper cartoonist?

Honestly, it makes me respect him more.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm assuming this story ends when her dad comes home early to a house full of other people's poo poo

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

THAT'S A NICE FISH

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

That side-eye Leopold's mug is giving him in the 3rd panel. :allears:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

You know, most of the bridges I can think of are flat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Having never worked American retail I'm nonetheless positive that
- they will be the exact same videos
- reviewing the "new" videos will be mandatory

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not only is this exactly true but when I worked at my retail job they made me watch the DVDs to make sure they worked all the way through then a week later watch them for training since the first time didn't count since it wasn't for training. Stewart in retail is very real to me.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (October 13, 1934)

Peanuts (August 1, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Thimble Theater (February 28, 1939)

Out Our Way (June 15-17, 1939)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

You missed the third bullet point, which is that the video review will be scheduled at either 5AM before the store opens, or 1AM after they close. But hey, you should be happy about the extra paid hour! :haw:

(I worked at Sears during college summers a million years ago. "Retail" screams absolutely true to me, every time I read the series.)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Head Girls

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slammy posted:

And He Did! July 18, 1919

... MOUTH???

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Calaveron posted:

Nu Mary Worth gives out unbelievably bad advice though so she would probably recommend to Jared to invite her and a beau to a double date as soon as possible

God, please let this happen. It would be so good to see Dawn take a page from Wilbur's book and get absolutely plastered and horrible at a restaurant.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
So I figure I'd try posting this strip. I posted it years ago but it was haphazard because I only had scattered random strips, but I was able to obtain most of the strips (how I did it I won't go into it, but still).

So Arnold was a strip by Kevin McCormick that ran 1982 to 1988. I don't know how to describe the strip other than that it's about a middle-school boy who is, to put it mildly, not right in the head. A notable aspect of the strip is that very few characters appeared on-panel. The only other recurrers were Tommy, Arnold's best friend, and their teacher, Mr. Lester. Early in the run there was a girl named Heather in the class (she's in the last strip), but she disappeared after a while because Tommy filled the "straight man" role better for Arnold.

The strip would get more and more unhinged as time goes on. It came out during the early days of strips like "The Far Side" and "Bloom County", when comics with edgier themes were gaining momentum. However, "Arnold" never caught on. The strip was rather controversial because of the gross-out themes (which is tame by today's standards, but very different in the 1980s mainstream newspapers), so a lot of papers cancelled it over time. However, the strip gained a cult following in places that kept it going, especially in Detroit, which ran the strip until the bitter end. When "Arnold" ended the Detroit paper devoted a full-page article announcing its retirement, even running a special drawing by Kevin thanking the fans weeks after the final strip ran.

I'm gonna go chronological (to the best of my ability. While I have most of the strips in varying quality, there are still a bunch I'm missing) from the beginning. The strip is tame early on, but overtime it becomes more and more unhinged.

One last note: After the strip ended Kevin McCormick became a gag writer for "Garfield" from the late 1980s to early 1990s. I have a theory that Kevin was the person who wrote the infamous "litter of puppies" strip with Jon; the strip came out when Kevin was still involved in the strip, and the type of humor is something you'd see in "Arnold" (in fact, there's a strip that has a similar set up, although that came out later in the strip's run). Eventually Kevin McCormick gave up on comic strips and became a church pastor. No, I'm not making that up; in fact, for all the bizarre themes in "Arnold" the strip would occasionally feature religious references. You'll see them pop-up, especially during Christmas and Easter.

Arnold (December 13-18, 1982)

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 29, 2022

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

TyrsHTML posted:

Not only is this exactly true but when I worked at my retail job they made me watch the DVDs to make sure they worked all the way through then a week later watch them for training since the first time didn't count since it wasn't for training. Stewart in retail is very real to me.
When I was in retail the most recent video we had for quarterly meetings/staff training/fire safety/etc. was the Department of Homeland Security DVD on surviving an active shooter. Ha ha. Ha.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Head Girls

One of the things I love about this strip is how the cheesecake is balanced by the tension and Modesty’s competence. Something about it totally undermines what might be a…prurient interest in the art.

Mister Beeg posted:

Arnold (December 13-18, 1982)

Thanks for posting this! I always love seeing a new strip coming in (except for Big Nate, which is mostly meh but sometimes just awful).

Anyway, sorry I forgot to post yesterday! Here’s a double dose to make up for it, including the Aragoneses I finally scanned and edited.

¡Aragones!, new chapter!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

No idea where the second one went, my Imgur albums are a bit of a mess rn :shrug:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

:siren:New comic:siren:
Storefri, which roughly translates into Lunch break, is a comic set in the norewegian equivalent to the US junior high created by a teacher. The characters are an incompetent teacher, a competent teacher who hates working as a teacher, the stereotypical sensible female teacher and a competent but naive arts and crafts teacher.

L-Innsikt

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I think L-Innsikt really came into its own with the format change. The art is still distinct but a four panel set-up forces more thought be put into it than the stuff I'd nearly glossed over before. And of course that's a pretty good strip today!

Jucika "366 - Jucika And The Asphalt Outlaw"

A reminder that asphalt outlaw is an awesome cultural translation of catcaller. "könyv = book, cselgáncs = judo"

"367 - Jucika Starts The Heating Season"

Always love the cute cooperation ones so much. :3:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I'm assuming this story ends when her dad comes home early to a house full of other people's poo poo

I'm thinking the house gets burgled thanks to Tiff's "Here's how rich I am and my exact address" TikTok and she'll have to deal with the theft of not only her own stuff, but all the stuff she was storing for other people as well. It's the worst possible outcome, therefore the "good" characters will fall all over themselves to tell Tiff all the ways she deserves it.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm thinking the house gets burgled thanks to Tiff's "Here's how rich I am and my exact address" TikTok and she'll have to deal with the theft of not only her own stuff, but all the stuff she was storing for other people as well. It's the worst possible outcome, therefore the "good" characters will fall all over themselves to tell Tiff all the ways she deserves it.

Sort of an updated version of Out Our Way's Moonfixer / Goldie pawn arc.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ukonvasara posted:

I have a feeling the joke is that the boss got the highest score and he's now claiming lowest score buys beer so he doesn't have to buy it. In which case Ted would have cheated to give himself a higher score (which also wouldn't have worked, because then the boss would just say highest score buys beer).

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

On the topic of ancient one panel comics with weird phrasing I like whistle the patter,.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Doomykins posted:

I think L-Innsikt really came into its own with the format change. The art is still distinct but a four panel set-up forces more thought be put into it than the stuff I'd nearly glossed over before. And of course that's a pretty good strip today!

Agreed, it initially seemed like someone’s college art final. Watching it evolve into a real strip has been really fun!