Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

At this point, it really does seem like Deku is going to punch AFO reaaaally hard and that will solve, like, 95% of the issues in the series.

Welcome to Shonen; we have punching, fisting, blasting, punching harder, and punch really really really hard as our go-to problem solvers

(Sometimes we try talking, but that usually leads to more punching and sometimes handholding)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I usually enjoy the earlier parts of a shonen more, where the MC usually uses his brains/is more of a trickster before it becomes all about power levels

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

hiddenriverninja posted:

I usually enjoy the earlier parts of a shonen more, where the MC usually uses his brains/is more of a trickster before it becomes all about power levels

:yeah:

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

really do not understand the inevitable pull towards power creep and higher stakes. the earlier fights in the manga are better because they're easier to follow for the reader and I think were almost clearly easier for Horikoshi to compellingly convey. is it a SJ editing thing or is the siren song of "just give everyone so many powers that you never have to really actually plot out a fight" just that strong?

Valentin fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 29, 2022

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

TheHan posted:

Super cheap to sidestep the shigaraki problem by removing shigaraki from the equation entirely and making his childhood self a literal entity inside him

they've already set a precedent for this bullshit with the whole Stars & Stripes fight so expect to see this pop up a lot more

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Valentin posted:

really do not understand the inevitable pull towards power creep and higher stakes. the earlier fights in the manga are better because they're easier to follow for the reader and I think were almost clearly easier for Horikoshi to compellingly convey. is it a SJ editing thing or is the siren song of "just give everyone so many powers that you never have to really actually plot out a fight" just that strong?

Not really a siren song, just the consequence of this type of writing where you're only allowed to escalate threats cause no one wants to read about the good guy stopping a petty thief trying to ruin a school festival after they just took down a deadly crime lord. :smith:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not really a siren song, just the consequence of this type of writing where you're only allowed to escalate threats cause no one wants to read about the good guy stopping a petty thief trying to ruin a school festival after they just took down a deadly crime lord. :smith:

I did and that arc was way better than anything after.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

i don't know if that holds, though. i feel like you hear all the time that the real problem with the manga is that it can never focus any time on the villains because fans hated it whenever the story went "main plot" and just wanted more slice of life hero academia. it can't be simultaneously true that people only wanted overarching huge threats that demanded power creep and people only wanted cute boys doing cute things. especially when the manga got popular in the first place because it handled smaller scale stuff well (among other things, a lot of early word of mouth for the series at least that I saw was about how well cool it was for taking seemingly useless powers and extending them, which is probably why a lot of people seem happier with vigilantes even if it ran too long or put the only woman in a hospital bed for the last half or whatever (i didn't read vigilantes)).

i think you're right that it's not a siren song, but that's because horikoshi didn't actually change. whatever ending we're coming to, power creep and all, is the story horikoshi wanted to tell from the start, at least in its broad strokes, and it's simply that he's better at the small-scale stuff.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Vinylshadow posted:

Welcome to Shonen; we have punching, fisting, blasting, punching harder, and punch really really really hard as our go-to problem solvers

(Sometimes we try talking, but that usually leads to more punching and sometimes handholding)

I really wouldn't mind it as much here if the manga didn't tell us that this is a problem Deku can't and won't punch to death. Why even bring it up if you couldn't deliver?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TheHan posted:

I really wouldn't mind it as much here if the manga didn't tell us that this is a problem Deku can't and won't punch to death. Why even bring it up if you couldn't deliver?

He's only going to punch AFO, leaving Tenko Shimura intact

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Deku then punches the apparition of Tenko's father to cure his distrust in society. :v:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Deku then punches his own quirk ghost of All Might's mentor before she abandoned him to cure Shigakari's father of his district for heroes

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Deku and Eri punch together to send one through time to punch Tenko's dad into the hospital so he can't beat his kid.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Valentin posted:

i don't know if that holds, though. i feel like you hear all the time that the real problem with the manga is that it can never focus any time on the villains because fans hated it whenever the story went "main plot" and just wanted more slice of life hero academia. it can't be simultaneously true that people only wanted overarching huge threats that demanded power creep and people only wanted cute boys doing cute things. especially when the manga got popular in the first place because it handled smaller scale stuff well (among other things, a lot of early word of mouth for the series at least that I saw was about how well cool it was for taking seemingly useless powers and extending them, which is probably why a lot of people seem happier with vigilantes even if it ran too long or put the only woman in a hospital bed for the last half or whatever (i didn't read vigilantes)).

i think you're right that it's not a siren song, but that's because horikoshi didn't actually change. whatever ending we're coming to, power creep and all, is the story horikoshi wanted to tell from the start, at least in its broad strokes, and it's simply that he's better at the small-scale stuff.

No the issue people had (as far as I read) was that the villains were "people". Not that they were on-screen but that their screen-time was dedicated to humanising them, instead of just defeating them.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I don't think that's the case; the place it came up was Horikoshi revealing that sales plummeted during the forest training arc when the villains showed up, which is why the traitor reveal got skipped there. I don't recall any real depth or anything being added there, the villains just showed up and his editors apparently panicked and advised him to skip. At least that was the conclusion when this last came up in thread like three months ago.

e: here, from the playbill for the spring 2022 stage show, ig
https://www.twitter.com/AsarathaHS/status/1510738586362003457

my understanding is that while western fandom has generally liked the villains and was very into MVA, Japan has not been very similar at all.

I think also, to your point, there was some discussion around the theory that MVA got seriously scaled back in the anime adaptation because it sympathized too much with the villains, but iirc that was muddled because it was also clearly censored due to time slot issues? I don't watch the anime so could be very offbase.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 30, 2022

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Eggplant Squire posted:

I did and that arc was way better than anything after.

It was also better than anything before, and the stuff before was pretty good.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I wonder if Deku's gonna stop All For One by using the One For All power and giving his powers to Shigaraki, and then you get the whole quirk ghost predecessors thing stripping away the All For One consciousness once and for all.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So is it the villains the Japanese audience didn't like or specifically the focus away from school stuff because the focus moving away from that is largely when it's been poor

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I wonder if Deku's gonna stop All For One by using the One For All power and giving his powers to Shigaraki, and then you get the whole quirk ghost predecessors thing stripping away the All For One consciousness once and for all.

Any ending where Deku gives up One For All to stop All For One would be pretty neat, ending on quirkless Deku being a hero even without the flashy powers. That kinda feels like table stakes, though - Deku was the sort of person willing to sacrifice himself from day one, so it's not like it'd be a hard choice.

Sacrificing his power in order to save the day would be more of a move for Bakugo, moreso than him sacrificing his life - the idea of no longer being the best would fit his arc a little better. Not really a clear way for that to happen, though.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I would not be surprised if there's a moment where Bakugo saves Deku in a mirror of that first sludge villain and maybe gets his quirk yanked during it by OFA or something. That event has been stressed the entire comic.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-361/chapter/25049?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013466

Next thing you know Tomura will be saying he actually has a super hot girlfriend, but you've never met her because she goes to a different school.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Staltran posted:

Mirio's apology is 100% instinctual while he's busy thinking wtf to himself, not a genuine apology. It's actually hilarious imo

He mentions he feels bad, so I think it's at least partially genuine and partially :dogstare:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s Mirio, of course he feels slightly bad that he actually hurt someone’s feelings

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Can some people in the thread not conceptualize the idea of feeling bad for hurting someone's feelings even if it's a bad person lol

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Last Celebration posted:

It’s Mirio, of course he feels slightly bad that he actually hurt someone’s feelings

plus the reaction he got is like it's coming from a seriously traumatized and hurt child, which would absolutely hit Mirio, even so out of place

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ButterSkeleton posted:

Can some people in the thread not conceptualize the idea of feeling bad for hurting someone's feelings even if it's a bad person lol

A lot of the discourse on that came from before the speedscan even, but from somebody summarizing another summary.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

ButterSkeleton posted:

I think my empathy would be out to lunch if they were trying to murder me, yeah.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

When a server tells him to enjoy the meal, Mirio always replies "you too."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
from mirio's perspective, this zombie-looking supervillain switched from grandiose speeches about how he was going to kill everyone to tearfully screaming like a five-year old after one innocuous insult. makes sense he'd be a little taken aback

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I still can't really tell what's going on with Suneater's super meal but alright, let's see what it does.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oh jay posted:

hell,

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

oh jay posted:

:same:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CuwiKhons posted:

I still can't really tell what's going on with Suneater's super meal but alright, let's see what it does.

A: Nothing of plot relevance.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

CuwiKhons posted:

I'm going to take a long shot bet and say that it'll do absolutely nothing besides distract Shigaraki for a chapter before being effortlessly defeated, like every other thing the heroes have done here while waiting for Deku.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kanos posted:

I'm going to take a long shot bet and say that it'll do absolutely nothing besides distract Shigaraki for a chapter before being effortlessly defeated, like every other thing the heroes have done here while waiting for Deku.

There's a chance it will do some serious damage and force Shigaraki to pull something new out of his rear end at the last second to totally undo it all and reset the fight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sun eater's meat cannon is his answer to the question of the worth of guns in a super powered society

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Here I am wondering what that quirk could do in a cannibalistic villain. Probably something like Sylar from Heroes. There's already enough quirk stealers in this series.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Mirio says "I feel bad! But" so even in the official translation I don't think he really cares.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mirio is a good boy even to those he probably shouldn't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Lamebot posted:

Here I am wondering what that quirk could do in a cannibalistic villain. Probably something like Sylar from Heroes. There's already enough quirk stealers in this series.

Stain was pretty close.