Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

In the US, any talk about making access to driving more difficult is regressive because we absolutely do not have any legitimate sort of transportation alternatives in most places.

Toe Rag posted:

Have actual licensing and examination on a regular interval. I haven’t had to take a driving test since I was 15 (including getting my motorcycle license).

Haha you think people have a license??? Or insurance??? In this economy???

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol fake temp plates rule

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

right arm posted:

Lol fake temp plates rule

There was a brand new T700 parked next to me at work with a piece of cardboard with numbers drawn on for 2 weeks. It might have been the state's fault since an envelope shortage kept them from mailing relief checks.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Neighborhood group guy says he has to speed on a 2 mile stretch of road because going 25 miles an hour for less than 5 minutes will make his bike overheat.

We should “get a real bike” because our air cooled motorcycles do just fine. But also sure a Street Glide is a real bike uh BUT THEY’RE BROKE DOWN ALL THE TIME.

also: he’s apparently a motorcycle mechanic and he instantly quit the group when pushed back on even the slightest little bit

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geekboy posted:

Neighborhood group guy says he has to speed on a 2 mile stretch of road because going 25 miles an hour for less than 5 minutes will make his bike overheat.

Lmao

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

epswing posted:

Ehhh… some people have interest in cars, but buy a rubbish car because that’s what their budget allows. The quote is close to saying “poor people are bad drivers and shouldn’t have a license” which is obviously wrong and bad.

A cheap car is not inherently bad. Teslas are extremely expensive and the people who own them couldn't give less of a poo poo about driving. I'm talking more about 4-wheeled appliances than budget-conscious automobiles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Where does my $800 Odyssey land

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Where does my $800 Odyssey land

Hopefully right side up, because I assume you've removed the seats and put a motorcycle in it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nah it's for trucking my kid around, it handles like a car though which is pretty cool

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Nah it's for trucking my kid around, it handles like a car though which is pretty cool

Hopefully it handles better than a Dodge Grand Caravan. That's the scariest loving vehicle I've ever driven in my life and I daily a car with 700 horsepower.

Honestly shitboxes don't even register as an "avoid this vehicle." Minivans, yeah, because sometimes the driver is turned a full 180 degrees to hit their children while driving, but my point with the Top Gear quote about rubbish cars was like.. The Pontiac Aztec. Chevy Avalanche. Chevy Cobalt. Dodge Avenger. Ford Escape (this is what my wife drives). Every single thing made by Tesla. Maserati Quattroporte.

Those people couldn't give a gently caress about driving, because those cars are just set up to go A to B before they completely disintegrate after 5 years. If there was a button they could push that would make the car just take them to work, they would push it. They don't need to be cheap to be terrible.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Idk for me the most dangerous people on the road are Ford ranger drivers because they have the belligerence and insecurity of a chimpanzee with a tiny penis.

Second worst are Lexus SUV drivers because they are unaware of the existence of other road users or the concept of road rules.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Idk for me the most dangerous people on the road are Ford ranger drivers because they have the belligerence and insecurity of a chimpanzee with a tiny penis.

Second worst are Lexus SUV drivers because they are unaware of the existence of other road users or the concept of road rules.

Agreed. In Massachusetts I avoid anyone in a pickup truck because they generally have ego issues (esp small pickups that aren’t fleet vehicles), anyone in a luxury car/SUV because they’re probably distracted, and anyone with a green license plate because that means they’ve had a registration for like 50 years and they’re probably too old to be driving. Nobody can get a green plate as of 1987.

Also any of the aforementioned “these people don’t care about driving so they’re probably bad at it” cars. Minis and VW Bugs also make that list. It’s a long list.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Audis are driven by total bellends in the UK.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
In Toronto it's a big dog's game. Giant crew-cab trucks that have never seen a worksite or dirt road are the worst to be around because they have zero chill, zero patience, are you making a left turn? Well I gotta swing aggressively around you and floor it through the intersection RIGHT NOW. In terms of 'just dumb,' in my experience it's anyone driving a Porsche SUV. BMW and Lexus SUVs are up there too.

Teslas are fast catching up though. I had a guy in a Tesla pass me (he must have been doing 110) on Queen Street, on the right, then aggressively get on the brakes down to like 20, all because I dared to get ahead of him at an intersection. Only time I've considered knocking a mirror off, but I was close to home and didn't want the trouble. Also had someone literally tell me "it's on auto-pilot" when I asked her to put her phone down on a highway offramp.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 30, 2022

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
First time going shopping anywhere for more than like 15 minutes for the first time in like 2 years. No D rings on the helmet (GT Air 2) means no locking it to the hook on the bike! Oops lol.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

LodeRunner posted:

Local town of Hollister decides to fix the road to stop those pesky motorcyclists who like to drag race on it: https://www.ksbw.com/article/incorrectly-painted-lanes-hollister/40694719

Update on this: City of Hollister CA has a sense of humor. They're acknowledging their ridiculous screwup of trying to stop motorcyclists drag racing on their road with a horrible paint job by letting people race Go Karts on it tomorrow.

https://kion546.com/news/2022/07/27/hollister-to-use-crooked-street-mistake-to-host-kart-race-event/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Steakandchips posted:

They also have a pretty high market share, 7% apparently.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Steakandchips posted:

In Sweden too, esp. if audi is black. Same with black BMWs. Mercedes not so glaringly overrepresented in the bellend category according to my anecdotally formed prejudice, though dark german sedans surely seems to either create or attract bellends.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

I rented a black Audi when I went to Germany so I can confirm, because I probably drove it like a total bellend.

Man I really wish that word was used here in the states, it's great. Also calling people "spanner." You guys have the best slang.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol and now there's a nice sand & gravel patch right where I turn onto my street from the main road. Felt the front slip a tad on the way in. I wish this drat city would just run the street sweepers a couple of times a year to clean that poo poo up. Time to go find a broom.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
When I was eight I had an Odyssey that I liked very much:

Unfortunately more than $800

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I"m kind of amazed you can get an Odyssey for 800 NZD. The cheapest non-crashed one for sale within 150mi of me is 6500NZD (the crashed one is 5600).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I mean, it's a 1996 and I got it with a cambelt that was out by a tooth and a balance shaft belt that had fled the scene years ago, the third row seats are totally defunct because the boot was full of water, and the suspension creaks at every corner over the slightest of bumps because all the bushes are destroyed. But it's a practical car and it's not too thirsty.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I wonder if both of you are talking about the minivan or the off-road vehicle or both?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

I wonder if both of you are talking about the minivan or the off-road vehicle or both?

My Odyssey IS both

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Schrodinger’s Odyssey

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The odyssey buggy is one of my bucket list vehicles but they are always either wildly expensive, completely destroyed, or sometimes both.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Someone new is parking a Ruckus in one of the motorcycle lots at work. I know they're new because they're perpendicular to the direction every other bike parks :argh:

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Deeters posted:

Someone new is parking a Ruckus in one of the motorcycle lots at work. I know they're new because they're perpendicular to the direction every other bike parks :argh:

Causing a ruckus parking their Ruckus?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

When I parked today, there were 3 more scooters parked alongside the Ruckus, and a Kawasaki Voyager parked 180 degree to those (so still perpendicular to everyone else) in the middle of the entrance to the lot. I think it's time for someone to actually paint lines here.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those people can't colour inside the lines typically, maybe a friendly nore might work though

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey, you know what sucks? Long-COVID after-effects keeping a dude off his bikes :mad:

gently caress, it's been so nice out this past week too. I'm going bananas.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Passed the MSF course and got my permit, started the search for a first bike this weekend. Dealer quoted me $7500 for an MT-03, then the Ninja I was going to check out sold while I was driving to it. Started to look at the used bikes on Offerup but these are all cash deals and I don't keep that kind of money on hand. I just want a small bike to keep learning on!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

CongoJack posted:

Passed the MSF course and got my permit, started the search for a first bike this weekend. Dealer quoted me $7500 for an MT-03, then the Ninja I was going to check out sold while I was driving to it. Started to look at the used bikes on Offerup but these are all cash deals and I don't keep that kind of money on hand. I just want a small bike to keep learning on!

Where are you?

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

CongoJack posted:

I've been frustrated by this lately. I'm don't think I'm even being super picky, but am frustrated by everything I look for:

CBR650R: none in stock, used they're asking the same price as new
XRS700: none in stock
CRF300L Rally: none in stock
R3: found one in stock used, dealer asking $7400 plus TTL

At this point I'm tempted to buy Italian just because 660 Tuono's and Monsters are actually in stock, at least in southern California

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It was impossible to find something in my area new and the used market was awful as well. No one had any Z400s or even ninjas, there were a few Duke 390s but with all the added costs they add, it was 8k out the door. Kind of glad now though that I ended up with a larger cc engine. I looked at an SV650 and was stickered at just over $7100 but was 10k out the door.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 7, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

chupacabron posted:

At this point I'm tempted to buy Italian just because 660 Tuono's and Monsters are actually in stock, at least in southern California

Yamaha Berkeley quoted me ~7k out the door on a new R3 towards the beginning of 2022. Wonder what it’s like now.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

builds character posted:

Where are you?

Outside Seattle, on the eastside

Rusty posted:

It was impossible to find something in my area new and the used market was awful as well. No one had any Z400s or even ninjas, there were a few Duke 390s but with all the added costs they add, it was 8k out the door. Kind of glad now though that I ended up with a larger cc engine. I looked at an SV650 and was stickered at just over $7100 but was 10k out the door.

I have been thinking along similar lines, I am going to get some quotes for a CBR500R.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

“I need to outrun tornadoes” is the best justification I’ve ever heard for wanting a liter bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

CongoJack posted:

Outside Seattle, on the eastside

CongoJack posted:

I just want a small bike to keep learning on!

Go buy this on Tuesday.