Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm also seeing mention that there's been a monkeypox death in Spain (wikipedia mention it in the sidebar of their monkeypox 2022 article) but I can't find any articles confirming it yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

crepeface posted:

lol cmon, that was obviously a shitpost. maybe it's worth a probe, but surely not a ban

it's the kind of shitpost that sometimes costs you a $10 troll tax. our forum rules very clearly say that ironic bigotry is not allowed, and I (and other mods I asked to double check my work in case I was missing something) honestly couldn't find a way to read that post other than "being gay is unhealthy"

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i am
making a
post in
the cspam
covid thread

hello, friend

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

vyelkin posted:

it's the kind of shitpost that sometimes costs you a $10 troll tax. our forum rules very clearly say that ironic bigotry is not allowed, and I (and other mods I asked to double check my work in case I was missing something) honestly couldn't find a way to read that post other than "being gay is unhealthy"

acab but yeah good ban

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Dysthymia posted:

Walgreens map got cleaned up for 07/21-07/27. Looks like positivity rate is going down slightly nationally.

Weird, this was the graph yesterday:

e: guess that was before they added more test results.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I think it's reasonable to believe a population wearing 100% surgicals is better protected than an equivalent population where 5% wear n95s or better (with varying degrees of mask discipline).

100% use of n95s might enable offices and schools to stay open with minimal disruption, in a culture that encourages ppe use on all the right ways (e.g., don't work hard to keep masks off of screens, and don't tell cops to arrest people not wearing masks). Even then, a community trained and practiced in transitioning to a zero-contact local economy have a powerful tool for minimizing disruption and loss of life. Such a hypothetical community would fare better through the coming years.

But it's becoming difficult to find equivalent communities now. Like, we were afraid zika was going to cause hydroencepholy or whatever in unborn children 'round the world, but conditions varied enough between the equator and North Texas (in some undefined way) that zika got north and petered out.

Anyhow, a year ago a wave went around Turtle Island, but it largely missed Michigan. The narrative at the time was that the lower peninsula has a wave of ... beta, was it? ... that ended more recently than the wild type wave that got everyone else, so either immunity was still up (relative to the broader continents population), or that Beta wave conferred more immunity to Delta than wild type did

This is all from memory and I'm not a researcher or journalist, so I expect I have some details off here...

But the waves that have got the US are not exactly the same as the waves that get Japan. And so if you take the set of humans on Turtle Island who have has 3 infection, and you plot which strains in what order, you get a particular signature. If you do the same in Asia (for example), you get a different, equally distinctive signature. And if you zoom more local or more global, the signature changes. The global is a function of the local in aggregate, but may not resemble any given local signature.

Anyhow, how well a new strain spreads in a given population - and what kind of damage it does to infected persons - may depend as much on that population signature as it does on aggregate mask use or variant mutations.

E: I think of it like starting a fire. You have a pile of good dry wood, some tinder, some kindling, some sticks and broke down limbs and maybe 3 rounds.

The air-to-fuel ratio determines whether the fire grows. Too much wood, you smother it. Too much space between fuel, the fire goes out. If dry kindling is carefully placed (in the sacred geometry of any ancient culture; tipi, right angles, 5 pointed star, 6 pointed star, 7 pointed star, etc), and tinder is placed beneath and a spark introduced...
You get 'complete combustion' with the sacred blue flame that illuminates and without black smoke and carbon dioxide filling your tipi or yurt or cabin.

Superspreaders are people who share air with hundreds of people within some period of time. People who make a habit of not sharing air, will not serve as superspreaders. The equivalent is tinder. If a spark hits tinder, you get combustion. World travel ensures a constant presence of sparks on all communities globally. If it hits a piece of tinder, that tinder goes up. If it's surrounded by a bunch of tinder, that tinder also goes up - catching any sticks interwoven.

If the tinder all burns out before the sticks catch, the fire goes out and most of your fuel remains unturned.

Kindling can be an intermediate. Basically, this is non-superspreading. Pods that relax, get got, and pass it to another pod. Teenagers bringing it home from school, it passing to the parents, who pass it off at work.

The tinder catches the kindling, the kindling coals up the sticks, and then you have to move everything around again to keep the blue flame. It starts to smoke and go out. And you have to repeat the same air-to-fuel ratio, but it's larger in scale, fractal.

Nobody is rearranging the fire as it burns. The tinder (people who share air with hundreds in a given week) catches, and it hits a bunch of sticks, but eventually the fire burns out without 100% of people getting got. And what remains isn't arranged with the air-to-fuel ratio necessary for a spark to hit.

Capitalism reassembles the remaining fuel (humans) back into something that will ignite if hit with a spark. The process can take weeks or months.

Uglycat has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Jul 29, 2022

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lol i mean in tokyo the only way to get anywhere is to be like 2 feet from hundreds of people. in north Texas you just get in your personal metal box and hurtle your body across the earth

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

North Dakota, Maine and Mississippi finally fell to the 'pox:

It's already everywhere but now there's only fours states which haven't officially identified it

Alaska just got got

down to 3

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Definitely going to stock up on vinegar, oxyclean, and bleach for produce / clothes, but does anyone have any insights on how people can disinfect their pets after vet appointments? And I guess themselves too if they ever have to go indoors?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
I keep trying to get work done, and then I remember that any day I could catch covid and/or monkey pox and it feels futile.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Malgrin posted:

I keep trying to get work done, and then I remember that any day I could catch covid and/or monkey pox and it feels futile.

you've got the wrong attitude. well idk if you're American or whatever. but i just remind myself i was going to work myself to death anyways and at least this way i get die with my rear end in a top hat exploding in disease

heroically

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

what’s this

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Definitely going to stock up on vinegar, oxyclean, and bleach for produce / clothes, but does anyone have any insights on how people can disinfect their pets after vet appointments? And I guess themselves too if they ever have to go indoors?

use a blow dryer on ur parakeet to gently blast off the monkeys pox

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Steve Yun posted:

what’s this

% in each state up to date on covid vaccination

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Spanish Ministry of Health has confirmed one monkeypox death, but no further details so far:

quote:

A total of 135 patients of the 2,353 (7%) presented complications throughout their clinical process. The most frequent were secondary bacterial infections and mouth ulcers.

Of the 3,750 patients with available information, one hundred and twenty cases were hospitalized (3.2%) and one of cases has died.
https://www.sanidad.gob.es/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/alertaMonkeypox/docs/Informe_de_situacion_MPX_20220729.pdf

https://twitter.com/Monkeypoxtally/status/1553061442076680192

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rpshahmemorial1/status/1553075920000679938

That seems to be quite the outlier. I'm presuming she's still infectious

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

NeonPunk posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rpshahmemorial1/status/1553075920000679938

That seems to be quite the outlier. I'm presuming she's still infectious

I think if you’ve got pustules they’ve got live virus in there like a gusher

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
How up-to-date is the thread guide for getting pax? The front page of findcovidcare.com has changed and the very first instruction (click "Request Treatment") is no longer there. It's been replaced, I'm guessing, by "Online consultation & prescription". But I'm not 100% sure.
https://twitter.com/ToonyGoons/status/1524538401839628289

I ask mostly because I want to send this to an older relative who may not be awesome at figuring things out if the site has modestly changed.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

virus is stored in the puss

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Malgrin posted:

recovery begins when the amount of pain we get from an negative set of behaviors outweighs whatever benefits we get from it

just survive long enough for a large enough proportion of the shitheads to die which will in turn flip the pleasure/pain ratio for the rest of the population to make a change

all of our current problems don’t actually take a lot of time to stop their exacerbation, just political will

anyway this is how I hope

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

virus is stored in the puss

puss and pussy just a letter away, one can mean the other but not the other way around, makes u think

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

mfw people forget about Marburg

Nancy Pelosi gonna meet Steven Heck in Taiwan

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Captain Magic posted:

puss and pussy just a letter away, one can mean the other but not the other way around, makes u think

women CANNOT get monkeypox. this is MISINFORMATION and HOMOPHOBIA

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Cool we are really doing this lol

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Strep Vote posted:

very very mild

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
how long does monkeypox take to kill you? wondering if rumors of mildness were exaggerated

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ahh yes but what about the comorbidities?! :agesilaus:

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

how long does monkeypox take to kill you? wondering if rumors of mildness were exaggerated

yeah like if takes months after symptoms start to die or if the 3-6% mortality for this strain is more like 0% in 20-50 year old men and 10% mortality in the very old and very young, then we may have been lured into a false sense of security by the low death rates over these last few months

too bad it wasnt endemic for decades and no data exists on this mystery virus that came out of nowhere

gotta just wait for it to start killing westerners before we can determine that it can kill westerners

speng31b
May 8, 2010

i think we're gonna have to face the fact that statistically we probably won't die of exploding puss butt disease

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

you have 13 months left

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

hekaton posted:

yeah like if takes months after symptoms start to die or if the 3-6% mortality for this strain is more like 0% in 20-50 year old men and 10% mortality in the very old and very young, then we may have been lured into a false sense of security by the low death rates over these last few months

too bad it wasnt endemic for decades and no data exists on this mystery virus that came out of nowhere

gotta just wait for it to start killing westerners before we can determine that it can kill westerners
This has been a major concern of mine. Almost all official cases outside of Africa have been in non-elderly adults. We haven't yet seen what this new strain is going to do to old folks or kids. At least old folks might have protection from the smallpox vaccine. Little kids have zero protection there though.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

speng31b posted:

i think we're gonna have to face the fact that statistically we probably won't die of exploding puss butt disease

I think you're counting Marburg out a little early there buddy

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Strep Vote posted:

good news, most of the hospitalizations aren't because the patient's life is threatened, but because of continuous, horrendous pain

https://twitter.com/basophil_brett/status/1553040209507385346?t=uqFQTh9tP86na3HluTmQOA&s=19

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
*counting up where I’m experiencing symptoms for my doctor*

hmm, let’s see, my neck, my back (BA5), my pus(sy) and my crack (monkeypox)

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Jigsaw posted:

*counting up where I’m experiencing symptoms for my doctor*

hmm, let’s see, my neck, my back (BA5), my pus(sy) and my crack (monkeypox)

lmfao

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
i notice that the goalpost has moved from "september" to "this winter" already

https://twitter.com/drogon_dracarys/status/1553091479530340352

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

U-DO Burger posted:

good news, most of the hospitalizations aren't because the patient's life is threatened, but because of continuous, horrendous pain

https://twitter.com/basophil_brett/status/1553040209507385346?t=uqFQTh9tP86na3HluTmQOA&s=19

taking opiods for pain which makes you constipated which will cause more pain is some 🤣

hospitals got enough of the good stuff or find a fentanyl hookup

we’re doomed

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERYkWkbhetA&t=11s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
What's the best diet for zero poops and gas (farts)?