Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Floppychop posted:

Part numbers are by model instead of by how they are on the sprue. So like Marine 1 will be parts 1-6, or whatever.

Having parts be numbered by sprue location would be way better.

They've been pretty decent with keeping sections together on most marine kits I've put together. Torso+legs will be 1-6 and all situated pretty close together. But then left arm + right arm are no where near each other.

The absolute worst offender was the AOS soulblight gravelord direwolves kit because holy poo poo nothing was organized. I spent more time trying to find pieces than actually cleaning parts and gluing them together.

Cthulu Carl posted:

LOL, I mentioned this once when Cursed City came out and compared GW's mess of poo poo sprues with parts smeared randomly over multiple sprues with little logic to gunpla sprues and got yelled at by nerds.

I get that they can't be neatly arranged and spaced like gunpla parts, but come the gently caress on, make the numbering make loving sense and be easy to locate parts, that's not loving hard.

Bandai gunpla kits are magic. I wish any mini wargaming company had that level of quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Floppychop posted:

Part numbers are by model instead of by how they are on the sprue. So like Marine 1 will be parts 1-6, or whatever.

They really should be both. Parts for the same model near each other and labeled based on location. Other companies do a much better job of sprue layout TBQH.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cthulu Carl posted:

LOL, I mentioned this once when Cursed City came out and compared GW's mess of poo poo sprues with parts smeared randomly over multiple sprues with little logic to gunpla sprues and got yelled at by nerds.

I get that they can't be neatly arranged and spaced like gunpla parts, but come the gently caress on, make the numbering make loving sense and be easy to locate parts, that's not loving hard.

I can see the argument both ways. On the one hand, it would make it easier to find the individual pieces overall, but on the other hand, it's also easier to look for "pieces 1 through 6" than it is to look for what sounds like a lotto ticket without constantly doublechecking that you are looking for the right numbers.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Randalor posted:

I can see the argument both ways. On the one hand, it would make it easier to find the individual pieces overall, but on the other hand, it's also easier to look for "pieces 1 through 6" than it is to look for what sounds like a lotto ticket without constantly doublechecking that you are looking for the right numbers.

It can be both, really.

When you build a gunpla kit, parts on the same sprue are grouped together for easy finding, but the parts are numbered and the sprues are too. So if you're building part of an arm, the instructions call out sprue A1 and parts 1-6.

Cursed City was really back at this because while yes, the parts to build say, one of the heroes, would be numbered 1-6, but 6 might be next to part 30, and 1 is next is 15.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Floppychop posted:

Cthulu Carl posted:

It can be both, really.

When you build a gunpla kit, parts on the same sprue are grouped together for easy finding, but the parts are numbered and the sprues are too. So if you're building part of an arm, the instructions call out sprue A1 and parts 1-6.

Cursed City was really back at this because while yes, the parts to build say, one of the heroes, would be numbered 1-6, but 6 might be next to part 30, and 1 is next is 15.

Gunpla kits are also notorious for having tons and tons of runners with loosely spaced parts. GW really pack their runners to the brim. Even the very biggest kits have maybe 6 runners total for a few hundred parts.

In contrast the average HG gundam kit will have 4-5 for a parts count of half that. Granted Gunpla are colour separated and a lot of the parts and runner separation is from that but there are clearly different design and production goals at work.

I personally like the numbering system where closely aligned parts numbers refer to parts for the same model. Better know that 1-6 all go together than to get 1, 2, 5 and 30. It also helps if the instructions are missing. If you lose the instruction set for a Gunpla kit then you're stuck.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
The new Mk6 marines do that. The Krieg set do too if I remember right.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

To me the sprues having numbers would be way easier, even if the models are non-sequential

eg: Find numbers 26 through 32 on this

vs: find numbers 2, 33, 50, 65, 73, 78 on this

I find the latter way easier, but people's brains are different.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

This is a very silly discussion.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Floppychop posted:

To me the sprues having numbers would be way easier, even if the models are non-sequential

Except you are looking for parts so if you need a leg you're immediately going to discount all the non-leg shaped objects.

Unless your brain can't handle object recognition in which case I would be concerned since that upgrade pack should have been installed when you were like 3 months old.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Crackbone posted:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The model system today is Fine, my only trouble with it was when I hadn't appreciated how complicated the models had become and assembled my Skitarri by removing all the parts, putting them in like piles, and building the soldiers intuitively. Do not do this!!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Z the IVth posted:

Except you are looking for parts so if you need a leg you're immediately going to discount all the non-leg shaped objects.

Unless your brain can't handle object recognition in which case I would be concerned since that upgrade pack should have been installed when you were like 3 months old.

It's still harder to find all the leg-shaped objects and then check their numbers than it is just to find "27" in a numerically ordered layout.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Muir posted:

It's still harder to find all the leg-shaped objects and then check their numbers than it is just to find "27" in a numerically ordered layout.

Strangely I find the former easier since there are only 5 leg shaped objects to check but 30 objects on a sprue.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Floppychop posted:

Crackbone posted:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Z the IVth posted:

legs fine, but sometimes its like half of a dog's head and there's a lot of dog like heads on the sprue and they're all randomly placed

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jack B Nimble posted:

The model system today is Fine, my only trouble with it was when I hadn't appreciated how complicated the models had become and assembled my Skitarri by removing all the parts, putting them in like piles, and building the soldiers intuitively. Do not do this!!

I did that when Skitarii first came out in 6th, not realizing that they not like firstborn space marines and needed more specific parts for specific bodies

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Played some Kill Team tonight and absolutely destroyed Corsairs with my Phobos marines. That Guerilla Warfare action is awesome.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
The gently caress is a firstborn space marine?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Moola posted:

The old space marines, the ones that came before the Primaris marines, I think.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Moola posted:

A dark angel. They never loving shut up about being the first legion.

/\/\ is right they're the old school marines

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Moola posted:

Regular Marines are Firstborn, Primaris are either Awoken, Indoctrinated or Ascended based on if they were part of the first batch, a newly made marine or crossed the Rubicon Primaris.

Jt seems like this might thematically tie into daemons being called the Neverborn but if so I don't know how

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I just picked up the kill team octarius box and i have no idea how i should build the teams. I have no idea what im doing w/r/t kill team, so i would appreciate help.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

My Spirit Otter posted:

I just picked up the kill team octarius box and i have no idea how i should build the teams. I have no idea what im doing w/r/t kill team, so i would appreciate help.

My recommendation is to build them all as special units instead of generic warriors. Maybe that is wrong but it seems like a missed opportunity to create a model that cannot take advance of custom rules.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Bored Online posted:

My recommendation is to build them all as special units instead of generic warriors. Maybe that is wrong but it seems like a missed opportunity to create a model that cannot take advance of custom rules.

This. Basically, there are rules to use the special units in 40k as standard units, but unless you're into kitbashing, you can't make regular units into special units, if that makes sense.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Yea, thats my plan, but i was more meaning for thr death korps which have 3 choices sometimes

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I don't want to start World War Sprue again, but after building most of the sisters mutli-part box, this box is extremely high quality trash.

The weapon options are fantastic, no doubt, it is excellent to see so many options and multiple bodies can take multiple different special weapons. It's not like sister #4 is the only possible special weapon candidate. The poses are very dynamic, flowing cloth with a great sense of movement and action. But there are only ten main body/legs combos, and they key together so hard I don't know how you could make a second squad not look like the first wearing different hats. The arms are keyed to the torsos, and the weapons are designed to fit specific arms, so changing poses looks extremely hard.

It also looks like they let the computer take the wheel when deciding where to stick gates, and often the gates are on either tiny delicate shoulder pad details, or on the facing part of otherwise perfectly rounded armour, or the join between the top thigh plate and the actual leg underneath which is clearly supposed to have a small ledge separating them. They are a really cool end result but it's the worst choice between monopose and multi-part. It has taken so long build what are essentially monopose sisters with interchangeable weapons, but I still have to do a load of gap filling work to do, and want to keep them in sub assemblies because they have a lot of smooth surfaces I want to get easy access to when painting.

thank you for your time, your consideration and choice to add me to your ignore list

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Eediot Jedi posted:

But there are only ten main body/legs combos, and they key together so hard I don't know how you could make a second squad not look like the first wearing different hats. The arms are keyed to the torsos, and the weapons are designed to fit specific arms, so changing poses looks extremely hard.
Hasn't this been the case for like every kit since at least the start of 8th edition?

Eediot Jedi posted:

thank you for your time, your consideration and choice to add me to your ignore list
The ignore list is for cowards

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Having built every single kit since at least the start of 8th, I guess you're right.

Anyhow sisters are done, now to immediately forget this experience and buy another box for alternate options.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just assembled the Preators from the new 30k box and the most charitable interpretation I can make of their build choices is that the mold can only go so complex so that's why I had to assemble tiny additional folds onto the capes before then attaching the multi part cape to the body.

It looks nice when it's done but fuuuck it took forty five minutes for each.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
I do agree they're probably letting the algos determine parts breaks a bit too much. The new contemptor is hideously overcomplicated as a kit. Having more parts in it's foot compared to a gundam and not being more poseable or detailed is not a good design decision.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

This Goonhammer article has a recommended build section, note that you kinda have to fudge some arms a bit:

https://www.goonhammer.com/down-in-the-mud-and-blood-veteran-guardsmen-in-kill-team/

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I have also been shanghai'd into a kill team group, and I have chosen VG as my team. Any advice on how to play them for an absolute noob would be muchly appreciated.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Drewjitsu posted:

I have also been shanghai'd into a kill team group, and I have chosen VG as my team. Any advice on how to play them for an absolute noob would be muchly appreciated.

VG are one of, if not the hardest team to play well, as there are so many moving parts. So the crash course is:

- Plasma

- Your biggest strength is bodies: you out-activate everyone so use that to your advantage by either moving your chaff into threatening positions early to make opponents come out and shoot them, or simply hiding people then passing units who aren't going to move / do much anyway until your opponent is out of activations, then you can move where you want (avoiding overwatch, of course)

- The spotter is a sniper's good friend, but he is even better friends with your plasma gunner. Letting your plasma blast a guy who's in conceal is wonderful, and your sniper can still shoot w/ silent. If you issue the order to re-roll 1s to shoot, overcharge all day.

- The downside of that many bodies is you have to clump up. Ask if your opponent has and blast / torrent weapons and try not to get caught out.

- Plasma

- Park your medic 2.1" away from your plasma.

- Take the 4 troopers, give them a krak and frag, run them out to try to take people out or draw fire. Remember they activate in pairs!

- Keep your comms guy near your leader, and park them in the back. Relaying orders is hugely helpful. Some like to take the pistol / chains word leader, but I think keeping them back and ensuring orders for all all game is goodly.

- Giving the Demo guy +1 AP means he can move, plant the mine and detonate it on the same turn. This is absolutely devastating.

- You almost always want to use Into The Breach first turn to move almost everyone 3" before the first turn. You can deploy in "bad" spots knowing you can get into cover before anyone can activate.

- Give somebody the Rosary. Giving it to the Bruiser or Hardened Vet can make them super hard to kill.

- You absolutely want to take a grenade launcher.

- Plasma

- Against invuln save teams / super high wound teams, melta (in addition to plasma)

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I’m totally new to Kill Team, but have experience in table top war games. Of Kommandos, Veteran Guard, or Voidscarred Corsairs, what is my best first team?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Kommandos are the simplest of those three

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Lumpy posted:

VG are one of, if not the hardest team to play well, as there are so many moving parts. So the crash course is:

- Plasma

- Your biggest strength is bodies: you out-activate everyone so use that to your advantage by either moving your chaff into threatening positions early to make opponents come out and shoot them, or simply hiding people then passing units who aren't going to move / do much anyway until your opponent is out of activations, then you can move where you want (avoiding overwatch, of course)

- The spotter is a sniper's good friend, but he is even better friends with your plasma gunner. Letting your plasma blast a guy who's in conceal is wonderful, and your sniper can still shoot w/ silent. If you issue the order to re-roll 1s to shoot, overcharge all day.

- The downside of that many bodies is you have to clump up. Ask if your opponent has and blast / torrent weapons and try not to get caught out.

- Plasma

- Park your medic 2.1" away from your plasma.

- Take the 4 troopers, give them a krak and frag, run them out to try to take people out or draw fire. Remember they activate in pairs!

- Keep your comms guy near your leader, and park them in the back. Relaying orders is hugely helpful. Some like to take the pistol / chains word leader, but I think keeping them back and ensuring orders for all all game is goodly.

- Giving the Demo guy +1 AP means he can move, plant the mine and detonate it on the same turn. This is absolutely devastating.

- You almost always want to use Into The Breach first turn to move almost everyone 3" before the first turn. You can deploy in "bad" spots knowing you can get into cover before anyone can activate.

- Give somebody the Rosary. Giving it to the Bruiser or Hardened Vet can make them super hard to kill.

- You absolutely want to take a grenade launcher.

- Plasma

- Against invuln save teams / super high wound teams, melta (in addition to plasma)

Candidate for Post of the Year

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Muir posted:

I’m totally new to Kill Team, but have experience in table top war games. Of Kommandos, Veteran Guard, or Voidscarred Corsairs, what is my best first team?

kommandos. absolutely no better feeling on earth than your bomb squig detonating next to a millennium old dweeb space elf

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

FYI there are reworked stat cards and skills for forces of order for warcry https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/08/01/free-warcry-rules-for-your-grand-alliance-order-warbands/

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

For running Veteran Guardsmen, is it generally better to take 4 more bodies or use one of the air/artillery strikes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Airstrike so you don't have to buy another box of figures