Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Thing is, you shouldn't compare normal tires with studded snow tires. You should compare specialized snow tires to each other, studded vs. studless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Too bad there's no such thing as studless snowtires.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, I know of the schwalbe marathon gt 365 tire with siping and no studs, and I can't really think of others?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Cyclocross tires, but you're hosed it there's ice.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'm pretty sure continental has something studless too.

Edit: indeed there's the "Top CONTACT Winter II Premium" that looks the ticket with "Full control on slippery, snowy roads and dank surfaces thanks to its grippy lamellar tread pattern"

Invalido fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 28, 2022

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Invalido posted:

I'm pretty sure continental has something studless too.

Edit: indeed there's the "Top CONTACT Winter II Premium" that looks the ticket with "Full control on slippery, snowy roads and dank surfaces thanks to its grippy lamellar tread pattern"

Yeah, a buddy had them and went "gently caress no" after hitting the first patch of ice. I'm not sure what loving kind of snow the Germans have but it doesn't work on city streets in a real winter.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'm all about studded tires for bikes in the winter but i live in loving Stockholm. If I could get away with studless I would because studs suck in all kinds of ways. Except on ice.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Studless winter tires are for overenthusiastic miljöpartister

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Groda posted:

Studless winter tires are for overenthusiastic miljöpartister

Even if you disregard the road particle problem there's the tearing up the roads problem. If you only think about yourself there's the rolling resistance, the noise, the harsh ride and whatever else. Studless definitely have their place for purely egoistical reasons even for borgare and sverigedemokrater who aren't dogmatic and obsolete in their thinking about these things. At least on cars, unless you live in the interior of Norrland or something.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Idk what those words mean, but I suddenly have the urge to look up if Volvo makes any good bikes.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Invalido posted:

Even if you disregard the road particle problem there's the tearing up the roads problem. If you only think about yourself there's the rolling resistance, the noise, the harsh ride and whatever else. Studless definitely have their place for purely egoistical reasons even for borgare and sverigedemokrater who aren't dogmatic and obsolete in their thinking about these things. At least on cars, unless you live in the interior of Norrland or something.

What

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I commuted in year round in Wisconsin, upstate NY, and Indiana for 10+ years. I started with a MTB with pretty aggressive 2.5" tires and moved on to a hybrid with 35mm schwalbe studded winters. You should absolutely ride studded snow tires in the winter if you're dealing with near freezing temps + precipitation. Morning commutes especially after a day of above freezing temps with a below freezing night are just not happening safely without them. And while the points about studs and car tires are interesting, it's a whole different thing on bikes. There's a lot more contact area for the rubber to matter on a car, while the much lower amount of inertia on a bike lets even a few studs make a huge difference. And unlike a car, any ice at all is a huge threat to your balance on 2 wheels, especially when you're going slowly enough to lose out on a lot of your usual gyroscopic stability. Studs keep you going straight and allow you to speed up or slow down. They keep you from eating poo poo on the tiny slippery spots hiding under snow or slush as well as the black ice and obvious glare ice that's sometimes unavoidable without putting yourself into a more dangerous place on the road.

You are also not heavy enough or spinning your wheels enough to be doing any appreciable damage to an asphalt or concrete road surface on a bike with studded tires. You are going to maybe scrape some paint off the road markers, but otherwise the biggest downside is how much more effort studs are to pedal. It's good winter training though - you feel like a god in spring when you get to take them off!

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

When the temperature gets above 5c and the rubber really gets grippy.... Mmmmmm!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ok, so what brand of studded tires? Probably can't fit more than 28mm.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

Whenever there's a serious test of winter car tires, this turns out not to be the case. It's all about the rubber on anything other than hard ice, where studless snow tires do fine as long as it's been roughed up. On anything that isn't slick ice they actually outperform the studded tires by a (very) little - the studs take up space in the tread that could otherwise be used for the snow gripping lamellar rubber.

My car sits on studless snow tires during season cause that's good enough where I mostly drive and I can't justify the drawbacks of studs. My bikes have studs because ice is a thing and a little slide that's no big deal in a car can be devastating on a bike. Studs are also more predictable since you always have at least some grip no matter what.
I don't drive and IDGAF how studded car tires behave. I don't think anyone even makes studless winter bike tires. If you ride on snow, you want studs.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Ok, so what brand of studded tires? Probably can't fit more than 28mm.
I ride Schwalbes but mostly because they're pretty low profile. They're not actually that durable (Studs will usually blow through after a few winters for me).

CopperHound posted:

Okay, I know of the schwalbe marathon gt 365 tire with siping and no studs, and I can't really think of others?
That's an explicitely all seasons tire tho?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 28, 2022

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I don't think studded tires are available much smaller than 35c.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
45nrth makes 30mm

And ya get studs even a fat bike with 5 inch wide tires sucks on ice without studs.

On snow it's fine without studs but studs are still better in those conditions.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sweat poteto posted:

I don't think studded tires are available much smaller than 35c.
Marathon winters come in 30mm, if you want pluses that's 35 yeah.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Oh that's not bad. Probably no point in the 4-row on a tire that narrow anyway.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sweat poteto posted:

Oh that's not bad. Probably no point in the 4-row on a tire that narrow anyway.
I've run 35mm of both versions and I could tell the difference right away. You take curves at 9kph instead of 7 lmao.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

evil_bunnY posted:

I don't drive and IDGAF how studded car tires behave. I don't think anyone even makes studless winter bike tires. If you ride on snow, you want studs.

This is a common misconception. Short studs like the ones the ones in schwalbe winter marathons don't actually do much for you on snow, which is too soft a material thats shears and scratches too easily for meaningful grip to occur this way. Even hard packed snow. It's just how tire physics works, and it's fundamentally the same regardless of what vehicle they're mounted on. I brought car tires up because there's regularly ambitious tests carried out and published comparing how those perform which shows this very clearly- that what you want on snow is certain rubber compounds shaped in a certain lamellar pattern. This type of rubber is found wherever the studs aren't on schwalbe winter tires for this reason, so they'll be good for riding on snow. What you really want on ice on the other hand is long studs and lots of them but nobody wants to deal with those for street riding so we all end up with the short stud compromise which is tolerably good on all surfaces when it's cold.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Invalido posted:

It's just how tire physics works, and it's fundamentally the same regardless of what vehicle they're mounted on.

what you want on snow is certain rubber compounds shaped in a certain lamellar pattern

Sure, you can optimize for rubber gripping the snow. But handling on 2 wheels is more than just that. Even the sidewalls of the tire+rim play into how you steer in a few inches of snow. You have to be pretty much doing a scandinavian flick to have the sides of the tires make any appreciable impact on the maneuvering of a car.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

This is a common misconception. Short studs like the ones the ones in schwalbe winter marathons don't actually do much for you on snow, which is too soft a material thats shears and scratches too easily for meaningful grip to occur this way
The difference between new, sharp thread blocks and the tiny studs in my marathon winters is night and day, the studs work *much* better on compacted snow. Again, there's just no studless winter bike tires, so the whole thing is moot anyway.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone know what kind of netting this is? Would be nice for a dog trailer frame that I’m using for cargo, but the only thing I can find online is custom netting which would be quite expensive. I guess it could be made by hand but drat that’s some effort.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Anyone know what kind of netting this is? Would be nice for a dog trailer frame that I’m using for cargo, but the only thing I can find online is custom netting which would be quite expensive. I guess it could be made by hand but drat that’s some effort.

That looks like golf netting because of the small openings.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/293811764639?hash=item44688bbd9f:g:seUAAOSwFwhfn8bE

edit: you don't mean the edge hemming when you say custom, right?

osker fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 29, 2022

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I bought something like this once to make a custom pet net for my jeep: https://www.mcmaster.com/9314T36/

It helps if you also buy a zip tie tool and a billion zip ties

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
checking in after my month of biking since my previous post, have a few thoughts and questions

fun thing: i got one of these today: https://handlestash.com/

first impressions: it's fine! my bars are kinda weird shaped and it's nice that you can rotate the cupholder as needed so if you mount it on your bars at a 45 degree angle it'll still point up. i have it facing inwards and it have plenty of clearance between my legs and the holder.

that said: the antishock stuff seems pretty overblown; i wouldn't take a plastic cup with a straw unless you drink down the top 20% of the cup first. i suspect that a normal $10 holder probably has about the same degree of suspension

now i'm trying to figure out what kinda rear rack to get, since i'm sick of carrying takeout home by swinging a plastic bag off the handlebars. yall have good experiences with the wirecutter pick? i need something that can do disc brakes, and ideally is easy enough for me to install myself

also trying to figure out what i should do in terms of carrying stuff for bike repairs with me. i have no equipment currently; do yall just carry repair stuff in a backpack/messenger bag or do you use one of the little bags you can strap to a bike? and what all do you carry?

also not really sure what i should have at home. just a tire pump and lube for the chain?

i know these are all local bike shop type questions but my local shop closes at like 7pm and i haven't had time after work to go ask them lately :(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Topeak is a fine brand. This is a bit cheaper on sale:
https://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Streamliner-Disc-Cycle-Black/dp/B004094HY2

And it’s been a long time since I’ve looked at prices, so these feel steep, but are still gonna deliver.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

now i'm trying to figure out what kinda rear rack to get, since i'm sick of carrying takeout home by swinging a plastic bag off the handlebars. yall have good experiences with the wirecutter pick? i need something that can do disc brakes, and ideally is easy enough for me to install myself

I have exactly this rack, I think, or something extremely similar. I've used it for several years now without issue, and the QuickTrack feature is awesome when paired with one of the matching Topeak trunk bags. The slide-in/slide-out mechanism is super slick, secure, and convenient. I'm really surprised that similar trunk bag systems are not more popular, I love it personally.

I have one of these https://www.topeak.com/global/en/product/859-MTX-TRUNKBAG-EX that I use for all-day adventures to stash food, extra layers, a u-lock, etc. in and it's fantastic. There's also some larger sizes with folding/soft panniers, but I find the small trunk bag perfect for single day use. Also useful for carrying things like takeout or a six pack to a park.

I also have a pair of Ortlieb panniers for carrying bigger loads. Back when I was commuting I used a single pannier to carry my laptop, change of clothes, etc.

The only caveat I'll throw out is that if you are using panniers they obstruct the QuickTrack so you can't also use a trunk bag at the same time, but it's a pretty minor caveat.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 29, 2022

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
A basket or a porter style front rack with the little rail around the sides is great for food and whatever because you can just throw it in there and use a bungee net if it needs help staying in place.
You can find Wald 137 and 139 baskets without any hardware that you can mount onto any rack front or back with just a bunch of zip ties.

For tools and stuff i carry a spare tube, patch kit, two tire levers, mini pump, Crank Brothers multi tool, a couple of quick links, some misc M4 and M5 bolts, and a pair of nitrile gloves. Everything but the tube is in a little pouch that i can swap between the smaller saddle bag on my mountain bike or the huge bag on my gravel bike. This is probably overkill for rides near home but i like to get out into the mountains 20 miles from cell reception

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Guinness posted:

I have exactly this rack, I think, or something extremely similar. I've used it for several years now without issue, and the QuickTrack feature is awesome when paired with one of the matching Topeak trunk bags. The slide-in/slide-out mechanism is super slick, secure, and convenient. I'm really surprised that similar trunk bag systems are not more popular, I love it personally.

I have one of these https://www.topeak.com/global/en/product/859-MTX-TRUNKBAG-EX that I use for all-day adventures to stash food, extra layers, a u-lock, etc. in and it's fantastic. There's also some larger sizes with folding/soft panniers, but I find the small trunk bag perfect for single day use. Also useful for carrying things like takeout or a six pack to a park.

I also have a pair of Ortlieb panniers for carrying bigger loads. Back when I was commuting I used a single pannier to carry my laptop, change of clothes, etc.

The only caveat I'll throw out is that if you are using panniers they obstruct the QuickTrack so you can't also use a trunk bag at the same time, but it's a pretty minor caveat.

I was going to say I had the same rack but now looking at it I have one less of the supporting tubes. Still sturdy AF though

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I've spent the last few days touristing around in Copenhagen with my wife on rented bikes. It's been absolutely lovely. There's no better way to see a city than on a bike provided the city is bike friendly. Perhaps it's not quite the greatest biking city in the world but really really good compared to what I'm used to.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ok, I got a rack installed! it's a slightly cheaper Topeak one since that's what they had in stock, but it uses the same bag system.

here's another pretty dumb question: I went ahead and got a water bottle cage too, and got it home, and it... doesn't fit my water bottle. I have one of these, which I feel is a pretty normal water bottle, but I had to really force it into the cage to get it to fit, and then realized later it actually scratched the aluminum on the bottle.

are water bottle cages intended to just be used for like plastic bottles? It seemed like they're all meant to be one-size-fits-all (I think I saw one cage that was adjustable but intended for, like, coffee tumblers), so I really didn't bother thinking too much about this, but really didn't expect my bottle to just straight up not fit (hell, most of the online listings for cages don't even list dimensions or diameter or anything)

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

ok, I got a rack installed! it's a slightly cheaper Topeak one since that's what they had in stock, but it uses the same bag system.

here's another pretty dumb question: I went ahead and got a water bottle cage too, and got it home, and it... doesn't fit my water bottle. I have one of these, which I feel is a pretty normal water bottle, but I had to really force it into the cage to get it to fit, and then realized later it actually scratched the aluminum on the bottle.

are water bottle cages intended to just be used for like plastic bottles? It seemed like they're all meant to be one-size-fits-all (I think I saw one cage that was adjustable but intended for, like, coffee tumblers), so I really didn't bother thinking too much about this, but really didn't expect my bottle to just straight up not fit (hell, most of the online listings for cages don't even list dimensions or diameter or anything)

The most basic bent wire cages are designed specifically to work with the generic bike water bottle shape that has that necked down section that gets locked into place by the shape of the cage. There are different cages that are meant to be more universal and things meant specifically for the big fat nalgene bottles and etc

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

You use squeezy sports bottles on a bike, sorry. Bottle cages on bikes became standard way before the 2010s when everyone started carrying around water all day.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Height: 5'10"
Inseam: 31"
Budget: $750
Length of commute: 5 miles each way
Terrain: Mostly flat, a few small hills
Link to local Craigslist or equivalent (if looking for second hand): https://austin.craigslist.org/

TIA :)

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Slow News Day posted:

Height: 5'10"
Inseam: 31"
Budget: $750
Length of commute: 5 miles each way
Terrain: Mostly flat, a few small hills
Link to local Craigslist or equivalent (if looking for second hand): https://austin.craigslist.org/

TIA :)

Don't buy a helmet before you buy lights.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

What is up with the guy selling like 20+ bikes that all start off "I am selling my..." but they're all different sizes and overpriced for craigslist. Scam/bikeshop avoiding fees/stolen?

Edit: This would be a great commuter, and it's cheap enough if you couldn't adjust the shifting or whatever "needs a tune up" means yourself you could pay to have a bike shop go over it.

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/kyle-giant-bike/7515606716.html

More Edit: This is also cool and looks relatively clean https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/leander-vintage-1987-mongoose-atb-pro/7515283685.html

Gonna get every goon on a sweet vintage mountain bike

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 2, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

Your new favorite brand makes an adjusting cage (two models, in fact):
https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product/206-MODULA-CAGE-EX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Your new favorite brand makes an adjusting cage (two models, in fact):
https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product/206-MODULA-CAGE-EX

bought! thank you, don't know how I missed that when poking around their site (I noticed the one for coffee and stuff, but not this one for some reason). wasted a few bucks on the aluminum cage, but at least now I already have the right screws for when this one arrives. amazon reviews show some people with hydro flasks and stuff that are similar to my bottle so should be okay

in addition to accessorizing, I'm also starting to get tools for maintenance and repairs. ran into a weird thing assembling a flat fix kit, though.

my Specialized Crossroads 2.0 came with 700x45mm tires. I can't figure out the right mini pump for this size. I don't have a floor pump/gauge yet so I can't actually check what my current tire pressure is, but seems like 35-45 psi is the general recommendation. This puts me in a weird spot where I think that's higher than what the you can easily get from high volume pumps for mountain bikes, but I'm worried it's enough volume using a high pressure pump would be a bad time. Since I'd only have to get home like 4 or 5 miles after a fix, should I just not worry too much about it and get a HP pump?