Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Wow, those Batgirls pages are all gorgeous, plus it’s lovely seeing Cass and Steph having fun being besties. Love that Azrael cover too, so vibrant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I will say I appreciate the Cowboy Bebop reference.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Opening pages of Sensation She-Hulk #43, before the editor shows up and yells at Byrne for using another artist's style.

My question is, whose art style is being imitated? First thought is Art Adams, but something tells me I'm off-base there.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The fan wiki says it's Rob Liefeld, but to me it looks more like Jim Lee.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Can't be Liefeld, you can see her feet.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

No that's Liefeld all the way. The tiny poorly drawn feet give it away.

Plus I'm pretty sure that panel of Xenmu punching She-Hulk is a copy of Juggernaut punching someone from X-Force.

EDIT:

All the pages are direct copies of Liefeld lol

I'm disappointed someone would say Jim Lee. Jim Lee actually has a lot of talent.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 26, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
My first guess was Liefeld

I can't even believe Byrne drew that poo poo. I think a lot if reputation and success can be attributed to Terry Austin because I've seen from him since that x-men run looks as good. FF art he did was great but still not on that level

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I wish there was a way to segue into "did ya know Terry Austin was a prominent inker on Archie Sonic during the later years" without turning into a parody of myself

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Ah, yeah, that's Liefeld, all right. I stand corrected.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I wish there was a way to segue into "did ya know Terry Austin was a prominent inker on Archie Sonic during the later years" without turning into a parody of myself

This is what we need. :tipshat:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Liefeld has that very distinct “modular anatomy” style. Like he draws the head first, then the torso/arms behind it, then the legs behind those. Great care is taken to avoid showing how those elements connect to each other.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Roger Leloup, who apparently only got into comics to have an excuse to draw architecture.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Antigravitas posted:

Roger Leloup, who apparently only got into comics to have an excuse to draw architecture.

It feels weird, seeing the dome without renovation structures. But yeah, the color is a bit off, but other than that it's a really close match.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Probably not as uncommon as one might think. Daisuke Igarashi (Children of the Sea) has said outright he pretty much does comics as an excuse to draw landscapes.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Shoutouts to Salvador Larroca for tracing the very first image that comes up when you google "Resident Evil 4 screenshot" for this week's issue of Alien.

He even forgot to account for Leon's harness, which gives the silhouetted character a weird, diamond-shaped upper body.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 29, 2022

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mystery Men Comics #22 (1941)
Pencils/Inks: Dick Briefer

Weird Wonder Tales #6 (1974)
Pencils/Inks: Bill Everett

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't even believe Byrne drew that poo poo. I think a lot if reputation and success can be attributed to Terry Austin because I've seen from him since that x-men run looks as good. FF art he did was great but still not on that level

Back in the day I was a huge Byrne fan, so I had comics of his art with several different inkers, including himself. Austin brought the best out of him, but others (Ex: Dan Green) also produced good results. Like most artists his work becomes over the top when he does it all.

Inkers that looked like they were working quickly made his stuff look sketchy and unfinished. Austin types who got down into the fine details made his art look clean, saturated and more dynamic.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

JordanKai posted:

Shoutouts to Salvador Larroca for tracing the very first image that comes up when you google "Resident Evil 4 screenshot" for this week's issue of Alien.

He even forgot to account for Leon's harness, which gives the silhouetted character a weird, diamond-shaped upper body.

He's so loving bad. This is from the annual.

Next issue has a new artist and I'll kind of miss the terrible art!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Next issue has a new artist and I'll kind of miss the terrible art!

Permanently? I want to read cool Alien stories but I don't buy Larroca or Land books.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Dick Briefer is a real good name.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Have the dicks been briefed?"

"Yes, Mister President."

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Joe Fisto posted:

Permanently? I want to read cool Alien stories but I don't buy Larroca or Land books.

Sounds like it! It's this guy, who's mostly done Dynamite books thus far. Can't really be a downgrade, though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Animal-Mother posted:

"Have the dicks been briefed?"

"Yes, Mister President."

"How long did it take?"

"..."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

"How long did it take?"

"..."

Better a Dick Briefer than a brief dicker.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Selachian posted:

Better a Dick Briefer than a brief dicker.

:hmmyes:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Darthemed posted:

Mystery Men Comics #22 (1941)
Pencils/Inks: Dick Briefer

Seeing stuff like this just emphasizes how good Kirby was at mad science

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Posted this in the Marvel thread too. Art by Stephen Segovia. Moon Knight #14

Joe Fisto posted:

I scribbled out the text box in case its a spoiler, but I ask you, If you aren't reading Moon Knight what the hell is your problem?

LOOK AT THAT

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

The artist on Iron Man Angel Unzeuta uses a War Machine Hot Toys figure for reference. It's not exactly bad, but I personally can't look at it without seeing the toy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I really don't like a lot of the super greebled MCU designs and I don't like that they're bleeding back into the print comics. What is the artist really supposed to do with that loving design.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

I really don't like a lot of the super greebled MCU designs and I don't like that they're bleeding back into the print comics. What is the artist really supposed to do with that loving design.

It’s weird, Tony’s armor is normal comic styled armor but Rhodey is literally copy-pasted from the MCU. I don’t know why they’ve made that choice. The art is good, I just don’t understand why he’s MCU War Machine.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ghost Rider #62 (1981)
Pencils: Jack Sparling (breakdowns); Mike Esposito (finished art)
Inks: Mike Esposito

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Joe Fisto posted:

l The art is good, I just don’t understand why he’s MCU War Machine.

I think you answered your own question:

Joe Fisto posted:

MCU War Machine.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

An elephant farted.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's that time again

(Don Rosa Time)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

This is fine.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Don Rosa Time is always acceptable.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

It's Don Rosa's time and we're all just living through it.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Just don't mention DuckTales.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Just don't mention DuckTales.

Are pony tales and cotton tales okay though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Joe Fisto posted:

Are pony tales and cotton tales okay though?

:stare:

I, a 43 year old man, today learned that it's "cotton tales" and not "goblin tales"