Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
drat, I'm in Q4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Wow that rules, I bet I'm coming up soon then!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Wow, I have changed my reservation twice now (256>512>64, lol) since my launch day preorder. Valve is going to make me commit eventually this year.

Which version do you guys have and any regrets? I currently have a 64gb on order but would upgrade the SSD and/or do a micro sd most likely. Looks like you can get an SSD for ~$100 and I could install or just grab a big rear end sd card. Are the other upgrades worth it in your opinions? I doubt many have seen say the 64gb and 512gb side by side to see the screen comparisons but just wanting some opinions of folks who already have theirs. Money isn't a huge issue for which version and I will probably tinker with it either way.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Wow, I have changed my reservation twice now (256>512>64, lol) since my launch day preorder. Valve is going to make me commit eventually this year.

Which version do you guys have and any regrets? I currently have a 64gb on order but would upgrade the SSD and/or do a micro sd most likely. Looks like you can get an SSD for ~$100 and I could install or just grab a big rear end sd card. Are the other upgrades worth it in your opinions? I doubt many have seen say the 64gb and 512gb side by side to see the screen comparisons but just wanting some opinions of folks who already have theirs. Money isn't a huge issue for which version and I will probably tinker with it either way.

I think you are overthinking it. If you can afford the 512GB get it. If you don’t want anti-glare and are planning to swap out the SSD anyways, get the 64GB.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
i got the 256gb and honestly the 64 wouldve been great but now I got it relatively early because it's the least ordered version

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I filled up all 256gb + 512gb on my Deck and all I play is Vampire Survivors

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Animal posted:

I think you are overthinking it.

Yeah that's me

Protocol7 posted:

I filled up all 256gb + 512gb on my Deck and all I play is Vampire Survivors

But also this

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I halfway filled up my SSD card and I don't play Vampire Survivors.

Because I'm busy trying to make a clone of it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I bought the 512 assuming that it would be complete overkill and that my relatively small Steam library would easily fit on it, then bought a 512 uSD card that I planned to use entirely for emulation. Turns out it doesn't, and I filled up the internal SSD pretty quickly.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
The old school steam-green keyboard is essential and anyone who saves money by denying themselves access to it is a fool.

Most of my AAA gaming is done on console, so my steam library is almost entirely visual novels and indies and old rear end stuff (excluding all the vr-only stuff that wouldn't ever run on deck anyway)

I've installed 80+ games and still not gone past half the storage of the 512 (and most of that is DIrt Rally 2)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lord Bob posted:

The old school steam-green keyboard is essential and anyone who saves money by denying themselves access to it is a fool.

This x100. I really wish the Keyboards would change the whole colorscheme of SteamOS itself and I wish that they would work offline.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have both the 64 and the 512. I need to RMA the 64 because of the left touchpad haptics not working.

It was an extra couple hundred Canadian, but if you can afford it I think the 512 is just nicer. I tossed a 512gb sd card in there and am intending to never worry about storage space.

Technically the 64 was for my son and the 512 for me, but it does account swapping really well so we’ll just share the 512 and my brother is taking the 64.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

sigher posted:

This x100. I really wish the Keyboards would change the whole colorscheme of SteamOS itself and I wish that they would work offline.

The keyboard skins are freaking great!

I forgot how much I like typing with the two touchpads, although I feel like it’s trying to merge the two hemispheres of my brain and I might end up paralyzed somehow…or a super genius :downs:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Suburban Dad posted:

Which version do you guys have and any regrets?
I have the 256 GB model and I think that's the right one for most people. The 512 GB model is also totally fine, but personally the etched screen wasn't worth the price premium especially since I have a screen protector on it. I think the 64 GB model is problematic unless you plan to crack it open right away and replace the SSD. While I'm comfortable replacing the SSD, it's not something I want to do immediately and would prefer to stick with the stock one through the warranty period.

The reason the 64 GB model is problematic is that even if you install games to the SD card (which is default with a card inserted) games still require space on the internal storage for the shader cache and compat data. For example, I have 15 games installed right now and they use 207 GB of the SD card, but also 16 GB of the internal storage. If I had the 64 GB model that would severely limit the number of games I could have installed simultaneously--probably the 512 GB SD card itself wouldn't be the limiting factor. This is especially so since 32 GB of the internal storage is not user accessible (this is going off the amount reserved on my 256 GB unit, but I assume the 64 GB ones are partitioned similarly). Anecdotally there's a bunch of Reddit posts of folks complaining about how the shader cache has already filled up their 64 GB eMMC.

It's kind of like Apple devices, unless you're buying one to run a single application you're probably best hedging on the storage upgrade.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Protocol7 posted:

I filled up all 256gb + 512gb on my Deck and all I play is Vampire Survivors and Inscryption

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm coralling retro games that have widescreen patches / codes. Re-Volt for N64 is on this list. BUT it just came out on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/287310/ReVolt/

BUT it already has a native cross-platform OpenGL port.

https://rvgl.org/

Like with Jak & Daxter's native port, I'll have to try this eventually.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

for the record, Digimon Survive super works on Steam Deck, but there's no native way of solving the video codec problem people are having where the game crashes after the two anime cutscenes. play through til past the anime introduction cutscene that showcases all the characters and their Digimon on PC, where you have a chance that your setup either has no problem or you can at least fix it before switching back to your Deck

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I have the 256 GB model and I think that's the right one for most people. The 512 GB model is also totally fine, but personally the etched screen wasn't worth the price premium especially since I have a screen protector on it. I think the 64 GB model is problematic unless you plan to crack it open right away and replace the SSD. While I'm comfortable replacing the SSD, it's not something I want to do immediately and would prefer to stick with the stock one through the warranty period.

The reason the 64 GB model is problematic is that even if you install games to the SD card (which is default with a card inserted) games still require space on the internal storage for the shader cache and compat data. For example, I have 15 games installed right now and they use 207 GB of the SD card, but also 16 GB of the internal storage. If I had the 64 GB model that would severely limit the number of games I could have installed simultaneously--probably the 512 GB SD card itself wouldn't be the limiting factor. This is especially so since 32 GB of the internal storage is not user accessible (this is going off the amount reserved on my 256 GB unit, but I assume the 64 GB ones are partitioned similarly). Anecdotally there's a bunch of Reddit posts of folks complaining about how the shader cache has already filled up their 64 GB eMMC.

It's kind of like Apple devices, unless you're buying one to run a single application you're probably best hedging on the storage upgrade.

Thanks for the post. Everybody else too. I saw the same 512gb Kingston ssd (same as the oem one in the 512 models apparently) on ebay for cheapish today so I just picked that up for whenever the 64 gets here. I'll make sure it works out of the box and then swap it pretty quick I think.

While I can afford the other one, I can't fight the urge to do the thrifty thing since it doesn't look hard to swap it. Growing up poor permanently damages you, lol

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 30, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've got the 64 and it's fine for me but I could see the storage being a real problem for folk who play a lot of AAA games, as game sizes get sillier.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I've always been the sort of person who only plays one game at a time, with maybe one or two other titles installed so I can jump into something different for a quick palette cleanser or a few rounds of multiplayer. This is one of the few situations in which one of my compulsions pays off.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
For the record, if the 64 GB model fits your usage patterns that's fantastic. I just don't think Valve provided enough helpful guidance for people to make an informed decision when the reservations went live.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

For the record, if the 64 GB model fits your usage patterns that's fantastic. I just don't think Valve provided enough helpful guidance for people to make an informed decision when the reservations went live.

I totally agree to be honest. I couldn't have afforded the big boys anyway but I think if a potential buyer can afford any of them, and it's more a 'which is best to get' issue, then the 256 is going to be the best balance of value. But the 64 is still just a really nice little machine. I've been so impressed with the Deck overall. It feels so good in the hands. If my Switch didn't hold my Animal Crossing save I'd probably be thinking of selling it.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Just got my 256 way ahead of schedule. Storage wise this feels pretty good, but things like Shadow of Mordor wanting 100gb means I'll probably never install it.

Tried some FPS but can't say I liked the controls too much so I pivoted to other genres. Action RPGs felt pretty good and with the Bandai Namco sale going on my deck has gone totally weeb with Ni No Kuni 2,Tales of ____ games and Persona 4.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Isn’t it supposed to be fairly straightforward to install an SSD into the 64gb?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Isn’t it supposed to be fairly straightforward to install an SSD into the 64gb?

It's piss easy and what I did, but as someone posted upthread, it doesn't *completely* stop games taking up space on the main SSD.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I got a 256 coming. My only worry is it seems most of my games I want to play on it are either 1.5 gigs or less or 60 gigs lol

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

I got a 256 coming. My only worry is it seems most of my games I want to play on it are either 1.5 gigs or less or 60 gigs lol

Do what I did, install 80 games and then spend all your time playing Siralim Ultimate, a game that literally works on phones

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I just installed all the little ones and then I'm trying to keep myself to one big giant one at a time.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i went back to the switch OLED to play Xenoblade 3 after having spent the past couple months purely on the Deck
man, hoping that the next Deck revision comes with an OLED screen because while the switch is outclassed on every other front, the pow factor of the screen is still hard to match

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Opopanax posted:

Inscryption.

Oh great, am I gonna have to clone another game?

It's on my to-play list. But not yet in my library because I haven't gone full Steam Sale.

Dicey Dungeons is meeting my expected interest level as a 3-dollar (on-sale) game and case study in dice games, by the by.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my 256GB deck has about 40-50 games installed and 35GB free. if i want to play death stranding or not for broadcast, i'll have to make.... sacrifices.....

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

shrike82 posted:

i went back to the switch OLED to play Xenoblade 3 after having spent the past couple months purely on the Deck
man, hoping that the next Deck revision comes with an OLED screen because while the switch is outclassed on every other front, the pow factor of the screen is still hard to match

Yep, Deck 2 better have a larger (smaller bezels) OLED screen with at least 90hz and hopefully VRR.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

lmao at the comments to this post. there seem to be a lot of steam users who are mad that their "after Q3" position was "pushed back" to Q4. i'm not sure they understand how quarters work, or the word "after," for that matter.

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
Getting my 512 sent to me soon, got the notification on steam today when I was checking out that new train game. Cant wait to finally get my hands on it. Any idea on how long shipping takes?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I got my email and responded on a Monday. It shipped out that Thursday and I received it on Saturday.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

One thing that I think has sort of fallen to the background with all of the storage chat is how well everything runs from microSD. I've generally been running everything from card, and I haven't run into a situation yet where I've felt like I've needed to move a game to internal storage. There could definitely be some selection bias in there, but I don't think the average 64 GB user needs to look at SSD upgrades even if their internal capacity isn't gonna cut it.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
How y’all feel about screen protectors? Have most people been putting one on?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I've been putting amFilm protectors on everything I own since my kids might take their trains to them. Put one in my Deck as soon as I opened the box.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Thinking of buying an ayaneo next because they're available in australia from the end of next month - anyone got one and able to talk about if they're any good or not? watched a few performance videos on youtube and it looks like the ayaneo has a better cpu, but the deck's got a better gpu and performs better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

tithin posted:

Thinking of buying an ayaneo next because they're available in australia from the end of next month - anyone got one and able to talk about if they're any good or not? watched a few performance videos on youtube and it looks like the ayaneo has a better cpu, but the deck's got a better gpu and performs better?

that's way more expensive than the deck, right? or does it work out differently down under?