Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I mean, I know a lot of Indigenous people who think land acknowledgments are important and good, so maybe don’t tell them that they’re wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheCenturion posted:

I mean, I know a lot of Indigenous people who think land acknowledgments are important and good, so maybe don’t tell them that they’re wrong?

This is where I’m at. I think they’re a lot more meaningful if paired with $ or other types of material support but I think they’ve also moved the needle a lot in the last 5 or 6 years in terms of awareness of treaty issues.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
poo poo, twenty-some-odd years ago, I worked for INAC, and we barely acknowledged land claims. There’s been tremendous progress, and there’s a hell of a lot more to go.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
AB Gov burying under 5 vaccine rollouts on the Friday before a long weekend with no press conference.

https://twitter.com/Jantafrench/status/1553131732244877313?s=20&t=_QAcUD6d6iydrGeb_YH4VQ

What a lovely province.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
It is quite beautiful, yes.

Shame about all the right-wing morons stinking up the place for the rest of us.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

TheCenturion posted:

I'll piggyback on this to say maybe also don't tell trans/nb/2s/gnc people that normalizing stating pronouns is nothing but woke virtue signaling. Most queer organizations advocate for it, and my friends and I feel better when we see it. Maybe not everyone feels that way but a whole lot of people do. I'd rather live in a world where people feel the need to be more inclusive to fit in than the opposite.

Calling out those who exploit land acknowledgements and stated pronouns is good. Dismissing these measures as worthless altogether discounts the people who work toward and benefit from them.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

On the pronoun topic, it really helps me not feel like an awkward idiot when I work with someone I've never worked with before, and am unable to pick up on gender signifiers, due to cultural or various other ignorance I possess. If pronouns are stated, and put in email signature, it removes a lot of uncertainty for anyone.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Just default to they until you learn what they want to be called then use that unless you forget, then go back to they until they remind you.

If they lose their poo poo about you doing it that way they're a shithead you probably don't want to talk to anyway, regardless of whatever pronouns they want you to use.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Some of my clients have requested we put their pronouns in their display name so it shows up automatically in Teams as well as Outlook.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Some people make fun of other cultures for having ridiculously "standardized"/formal introduction rituals, but it really does serve a purpose.

In addition to pronouns, it would be nice if people -- in all contexts -- would introduce themselves by saying their preferred name, in full. You might say "well, that's silly." Okay, how many times have you heard someone completely mispronounce a name (first and or last) or convey a lack of cross-cultural understanding of what part of a name is a given name, and what is a family name? Sometimes it's not a problem. Other times, it gets really awkward and complicated.

Some aspects of formality do serve a legitimate purpose, and I think it's a bit silly to write them off as stupid or not necessary just because they aren't always necessary.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

From a lifetime in hospitality industry I've learned to basically never refer to someone's gender unless it's needed for a specific reason in which case they would have identified it to you. It's either their name, or "this guest" or "my colleague", etc. People are so diverse that you will absolutely gently caress up and make someone feel bad if you are constantly gendering people however woke you are. Moreover many, many service workers come from language backgrounds that don't even have gendered pronouns and wouldn't even realize they are misgendering someone.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I don't use pronouns because after 40+ years I'm still an amateur noun at best.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

flakeloaf posted:

"Promoted by governments" was the one that set me off.

I'm already primed to make a declaration like yours in response to just about everything he says, short of a direct reckoning of their genocides, a renunciation of their white supremacist "doctrine of discovery" and the forfeiture of whatever assets are needed to pay restitution, none of which he will ever do. Maybe the fault is mine for having unreasonable expectations?

For a faith that hinges on confession and penitence, he seems to do a lot of dancing around the truth of his church's sins. The GG says it sounds like he's trying, and it's not like I've met him personally. :confused:

The restitution thing reminds me of how my mind was blown about the Catholic church pledged or promised 25 million dollars or something but only ended up giving 4 million dollars because it was on the basis of fundraising from the community???
The Pope controls billions of dollars, why is any restitution based on fundraising yet more money from church members?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Same reason you can't sue apple for the slavery

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/jamespmcleod/status/1553036331583930369?s=20&t=K6G6hoMRfh2J36Cl_lnMdw
gotta love a class action settlement that drives business (not to mention the real cost of the drink/food)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I would accept the free beverage and free baked good if I am allowed to throw the free hot beverage on the CEO.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Having met both men and women named Manpreet and Chandra, I'll take any pronoun hints you can offer please and thanks, keep 'em coming. Signature blocks, AD objects, sticker on your nameplate in your cube, whatever.

PT6A posted:

Some people make fun of other cultures for having ridiculously "standardized"/formal introduction rituals, but it really does serve a purpose.

In addition to pronouns, it would be nice if people -- in all contexts -- would introduce themselves by saying their preferred name, in full. You might say "well, that's silly." Okay, how many times have you heard someone completely mispronounce a name (first and or last) or convey a lack of cross-cultural understanding of what part of a name is a given name, and what is a family name? Sometimes it's not a problem. Other times, it gets really awkward and complicated.

Some aspects of formality do serve a legitimate purpose, and I think it's a bit silly to write them off as stupid or not necessary just because they aren't always necessary.

I've seen this go the other way too. When someone with a thick Korean accent introduces himself as "Benny", just fuckin call him Benny even if it means you have to cut across that one omnipresent nobhead who just has to ask "bUT wHaT'S YoUR rEaL nAMe". There's no good answer to this question, probably because the poor bugger knows English speakers are going to need seven whacks at 병재 before they land on "Byung-Chae" (which is wrong), and then at some point someone's gonna try shortening it to "Byung", which you can't really do, so rather than go through that they've chosen an anglicized nickname please I implore you just call him Benny unless you can say what you want to say in Korean.

Fidelitious posted:

The restitution thing reminds me of how my mind was blown about the Catholic church pledged or promised 25 million dollars or something but only ended up giving 4 million dollars because it was on the basis of fundraising from the community???
The Pope controls billions of dollars, why is any restitution based on fundraising yet more money from church members?

"Their love of money exceeds their love of Christ" is a handful of mud someone else more qualified than I am can sling.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Oxyclean posted:

https://twitter.com/jamespmcleod/status/1553036331583930369?s=20&t=K6G6hoMRfh2J36Cl_lnMdw
gotta love a class action settlement that drives business (not to mention the real cost of the drink/food)

Rogers CEO wondering "can we off our customers one free phone call and one free sms?"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

Having met both men and women named Manpreet and Chandra, I'll take any pronoun hints you can offer please and thanks, keep 'em coming. Signature blocks, AD objects, sticker on your nameplate in your cube, whatever.

I've seen this go the other way too. When someone with a thick Korean accent introduces himself as "Benny", just fuckin call him Benny even if it means you have to cut across that one omnipresent nobhead who just has to ask "bUT wHaT'S YoUR rEaL nAMe". There's no good answer to this question, probably because the poor bugger knows English speakers are going to need seven whacks at 병재 before they land on "Byung-Chae" (which is wrong), and then at some point someone's gonna try shortening it to "Byung", which you can't really do, so rather than go through that they've chosen an anglicized nickname please I implore you just call him Benny unless you can say what you want to say in Korean.

"Their love of money exceeds their love of Christ" is a handful of mud someone else more qualified than I am can sling.

Yeah, that’s why I said “preferred name” specifically. Someone might prefer something other than their legal name for any number of reasons and there’s no good reason not to use their preferred name. And there’s definitely an element of hubris with English-speakers assuming they can pronounce words and names in other languages without significant practice, especially when it comes to distinctions that English doesn’t make in terms of phonemes.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My dumb rear end mispronounced an Indian woman's name in a trivia game the other day and I was so loving embarrassed because normally I ask for the pronunciation to be sure before the game, but it was my first time reading and with my nerves and trying to get the game set up right I totally forgot, and she corrected me after the first round and I felt terrible because I hadn't asked beforehand.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

No names, only increasingly awkward attempts to pretend I don't know their name

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

PT6A posted:

Fair point.

Mainly I'm shocked how low the uptake rate is on 1st boosters. Was there really a significant portion of people who were eager for the first two shots, but are now thinking: "two shots to be protected from a deadly disease? fully reasonable! Three or more? gently caress OFF!"

I just don't know what's going on in the heads of those people.

I think a lot of it is that in 2021 there was the idea that if everyone got their two shots we would actually have some sort of immunity and things could get back to normal. The thing that changed between then and boosters being widely available was the proliferation of new variants that are so good at infecting that you can still easily get them even if you’re vaccinated. You can try explaining to people that keeping up with boosters means you’re reducing your risk of serious complications or hospitalization if you do get it, but that’s not as snappy a selling point. “With Omicron you can still get it even if you’re fully vaccinated” was the point where a lot of people just went “gently caress it, I give up”.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Entropic posted:

I think a lot of it is that in 2021 there was the idea that if everyone got their two shots we would actually have some sort of immunity and things could get back to normal. The thing that changed between then and boosters being widely available was the proliferation of new variants that are so good at infecting that you can still easily get them even if you’re vaccinated. You can try explaining to people that keeping up with boosters means you’re reducing your risk of serious complications or hospitalization if you do get it, but that’s not as snappy a selling point. “With Omicron you can still get it even if you’re fully vaccinated” was the point where a lot of people just went “gently caress it, I give up”.

Things are basically back to normal, whether they should be or not. There is, in essence, nothing you cannot choose to do at this point. Why do these folks need bribing like toddlers to act in their own self-interest?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Because they're idiots.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

run on sentience posted:

I'll piggyback on this to say maybe also don't tell trans/nb/2s/gnc people that normalizing stating pronouns is nothing but woke virtue signaling. Most queer organizations advocate for it, and my friends and I feel better when we see it. Maybe not everyone feels that way but a whole lot of people do. I'd rather live in a world where people feel the need to be more inclusive to fit in than the opposite.

Calling out those who exploit land acknowledgements and stated pronouns is good. Dismissing these measures as worthless altogether discounts the people who work toward and benefit from them.

It’s this.

The problem isn’t land acknowledgments, it’s the liberal and capitalist co-opting of them, as capitalists use them to white wash their exploitation and liberals see verbally expressing virtue as the only thing that needs to be done to do politics right.

In my political spaces, they are often done alongside an educational piece where we learn of a TRC call of action, discuss current landback struggles, share good resources or opportunities to support materially through donations or volunteer time.

We also usually pair it with a discussion of how land acknowledgements mean nothing if we don’t use them to guide our work and actively try to decolonize our structures and workplaces (teacher’s union).

If you’re not pairing a land acknowledgment with tangible allyship of indigenous peoples, then maybe don’t do it until that’s the case!

A cool challenge for people in this thread who think they are performative would be after a land acknowledgment to literally stop whatever meeting you’re in and ask questions about what whatever org/business etc is actively doing to support indigenous communities. Have some suggestions ready for what that tangible support could be so that you’re not just being a critical/unhelpful rear end in a top hat!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheCenturion posted:

poo poo, twenty-some-odd years ago, I worked for INAC, and we barely acknowledged land claims. There’s been tremendous progress, and there’s a hell of a lot more to go.
Yeah these days INAC's role is to say a land acknowledgement a billion times and hobnob with whichever chiefs will play ball while quietly giving a shitload of cash to a bunch of white consultants to say "actually we can't give you the Crown land we said we would decades ago"

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

There are currently about a half dozen different places that the RCMP is enforcing the further theft and destruction of FN land, but like at least we acknowledge it

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Man this poo poo is depressing if accurate. This country continues to dismantle all the good parts of our healthcare system and the CPC isn’t even in power yet.

https://breachmedia.ca/canadas-blood-plasma-collection-to-be-sold-off-to-foreign-pharma-giant/

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dismantling public healthcare does seem to be the fad of the day, and it's not even taking any particular great effort.

Addressing a worsening staffing shortage, for nurses in particular:

quote:

Ontario's health minister says the province is looking at how to get internationally trained nurses working here as quickly as possible, as a way to address staffing shortages that have led to emergency room closures for hours or even days at a time.

Sylvia Jones spoke to the Canadian Press amid a growing chorus of opposition MPPs calling for her to provide tangible solutions to what they say is a crisis facing the province's health-care system.

CBC Toronto had repeatedly reached out to Jones for an interview regarding the staff shortages at Ontario hospitals. The requests were all denied.

Jones told The Canadian Press her role in the last number of weeks has been to meet with organizations and individuals in the sector who have solutions, and listening to their feedback.

Jones says the work involves what the government has already been doing for the past four years, which includes increasing the number of workers in the system — she touts more than 10,000 added since the start of the pandemic.

She says the government will introduce "additional measures" to boost capacity, and specifically mentioned a backlog of internationally trained health workers waiting for certifications.
Repeal of Bill 124 'a conversation for another day': health minister

Nursing groups, hospital executives and other health-care professionals and advocates have said that burnout after being on the COVID-19 front lines for more than two years and not being properly compensated have caused people to leave the profession in droves, leading to some hospitals being unable to properly staff emergency departments.

Nurses have called for wage restraint legislation known as Bill 124 to be repealed, but Jones says, "that is a conversation for another day."

The OPC have become experts at doing and saying nothing, then popping out to tell actual essential/frontline workers to gently caress off. It got them re-elected, so why not?

Meanwhile, the Star decided to troll everyone by writing about top executives and senior leaders experienced more burnout than regular workers throughout the pandemic, with about one in two managers saying they’ve contemplated leaving their role due to the stress, according to a recent report from Deloitte Canada. :rolleye: not going to touch that bait, but that was followed with an interview with one manager in particular, the CEO of Ontario Health (an agency I did not know existed, and whose nominal purpose seems unclear). He acknowledged the problems with healthcare worker burnout, staffing shortages (due to COVID and workers leaving/quitting), growing ER wait times, uncleared surgery backlogs, etc. etc., but presented no solutions beyond the aforementioned "hire more foreign nurses". I'm sure they'll all be thrilled to learn how much overtime they'll need to work and that their pay increases are capped at approximately a quarter to a third of current inflation rates.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
My sister-in-law is a nurse in BC. She's pretty resilient--she lives a very regimented life and has worked in a number of different wards over the last decade, with experience in everything from emergency to oncology to cardiology to neonatal--but for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago she was put on mental health leave for a month because the burnout got to be unbearable and has started talking about leaving her hospital job for a position in a care home or something similar.

Everybody thinks that the pressure on the health care system has passed, but it's in some ways even worse now because hospitalizations are ramping up again but no one has really noticed.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

MeinPanzer posted:

My sister-in-law is a nurse in BC. She's pretty resilient--she lives a very regimented life and has worked in a number of different wards over the last decade, with experience in everything from emergency to oncology to cardiology to neonatal--but for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago she was put on mental health leave for a month because the burnout got to be unbearable and has started talking about leaving her hospital job for a position in a care home or something similar.

Everybody thinks that the pressure on the health care system has passed, but it's in some ways even worse now because hospitalizations are ramping up again but no one has really noticed.

I did just this.

Not a nurse, but a frontline worker. I'm working in a group home now for half the pay and I don't regret it. Our health care system is collapsing and it was entirely preventable. When covid hit, a lot of the knowledgeable people either retired or died and have been replaced with morons and nepotism hires who are both unethical and extremely poorly trained. I had at least 7 deaths happen in my unit that were entirely preventable and detected early, but the nurses and doctors ignored it. We had next to no resources or staff left and the amount of belligerence and violence I had to deal with on the job, with no end in sight, was one of the most demoralizing things I've ever had to experience at a job. I went from working 40 hours a week to over 100. When monkeypox finally entered our system, I noped out and took a safer position for a lower wage. If our leaders were competent in any way, shape or form, they would double the wages of the nurses (or more) and have given the monkeypox vaccine to everyone the moment it became endemic.

I have to ignore the rest of the news, especially C-SPAM, over the acquired depression and anxiety I've already accumulated from what I've witnessed.

Don't. Get. Sick.

edit: I guess this is too doomer and I should give some advice: Watch over yourself and your family members if they go into the hospital. There are so many careless mistakes going on that are easily spotted and can be corrected. If you are in a hospital bed and you feel that something isn't right with the care that you are getting, trust your gut.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 3, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Worked until midnight last night, back in at 7am because there was literally no other housekeeper available to work in emerge. All the while, the provincial government is fighting tooth and nail to ensure I don't see a pay raise in the collective agreement that should have been signed two years ago

My back hurts

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Danaru posted:

My back hurts

Have you considered seeing a doctor

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mental health webinar?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
calling the bell let's talk helpline?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

All this healthcare chat is making me wonder if it’s time to consider leaving Canada. Having a functional healthcare system is pretty important to me and will only get more important as I age, and if ours is getting this bad maybe it’s time to reconsider.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

there's nowhere on earth that'll be safe

whether bigotry or climate apocalypse

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
If you are going to be moving every time a conservative gets in and starts slashing public health care you are going to be moving a lot.

Edit - assuming you are going to a place with public health care.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I’m in BC so we have the furthest left party possible here and things are no better than Ontario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

apatheticman posted:

If you are going to be moving every time a conservative gets in and starts slashing public health care you are going to be moving a lot.

Ditto for all (well like 3) the people I know thinking of selling their houses because there's a recession. Recessions, like Conservative governments, come and go.