Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Alex Jones suing himself:

https://lawandcrime.com/lawsuit/hes...famation-trial/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Deptfordx posted:

I was only half listening but didn't the Judge basically say "Lol, I was half expecting this, and I've already decided the trial would go ahead regardless".

She might still get an order from a federal judge stripping her of jurisdiction before they finish. It's going to be a shitshow.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hollismason posted:

Yeah so what does this mean for the judgement?

Probably nothing. They already tried this and it got thrown out instantly for being obvious fuckery

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

The first juror question may not be relevant, but I really want to hear an answer from Ms Lewis.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The jury openly mocking the defense in their questions, this loving rules.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
One of the Jurors is emitting pure shitposting energy.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Hahaha "Would you count Alex Jones as part of the mainstream media given his media reach"

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Does anyone know if the defense is calling any expert witnesses once it's their turn?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Can't they just call this early so everyone can go home?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I'm 90% sure Alex hired this lawyer because he kinda looks like Saul

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

red19fire posted:

The jury openly mocking the defense in their questions, this loving rules.

I missed that. What was asked?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Devils Affricate posted:

I'm 90% sure Alex hired this lawyer because he kinda looks like Saul

he's burned through a lot of lawyers in this case and the ct case. i'm pretty sure he's paying in advance.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

‘Will you state under oath you are not one of the globalist lizard people’

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Directed towards the witness:

quote:

Will you state under oath that you are not a lizard person that works for the globalists?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I assume that was the question that went something along the lines of "Given your academic credentials, are you willing to state under oath that you are not a lizard person working for the globalists?"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Will you state that you are not a lizard person who works for globalists?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Something like "After stating all of your academic accomplishments, will you confirm that you are not a lizard person working for the globalists?"

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Alright who's the goon on the jury

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How long are these trials usually expected to go on?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

steinrokkan posted:

How long are these trials usually expected to go on?

This trial finishes next week. Because it's multi-phase probably next thurs or friday.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I would be surprised if the jury takes more than a day to come back with a verdict

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Hungry Computer posted:

In this case all the "creditors" are various other companies owned by Alex Jones and his parents.

Yep, and we know this because it was established in depositions for this court case, so the court knows it. As mentioned, oldest trick in the book.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

There need to be daily video recaps of these things.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Are chuds going to start a harassment campaign against the judge? They loooove having a woman to hate

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

The judge mentioning that she likes cold water really busts my theory that she's a Chinese Communist plant sent to ruin Alex Jones for speaking the truth, because we all know that cold water is bad for healthy.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Yeah, I'm worried about the safety of the lawyers, judge and jurors not going to lie.
Edit: Really anyone on this stream

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 29, 2022

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
So barring anything absolutely wild as hell happening, that’s it until Monday

Now, I can close the thread until then, or:

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I could easily see Alex Jones sycophants harassing that last witness. Hope it doesn't happen.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Judge busting some random guys balls for having shorts on in the courtroom lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

teen witch posted:

I've got a bankruptcy update post one moment.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

There might be just low quality shitposts until monday, and I'm an avid proud low quality shitposter most of the time. But from Alex Jones desperate antics he might do other stupid poo poo over the weekend so that's why I vote leaving the thread open.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 29, 2022

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I can see Alex announcing a run for the presidency over the weekend ngl.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mr. Nice! posted:

I saw that website yesterday, but I could not find that in the actual statute. The texas code on the matter states:

The cap is explained here:

So you get 2x economic damages and between $200k-750k in non-economic punitive damages.

Non-economic damages are defined aa

The damages sought in this case are injury to reputation and emotional anguish. Exemplar damages will be capped at $750k.

Thanks for pokin around

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I saw that website yesterday, but I could not find that in the actual statute. The texas code on the matter states:

The cap is explained here:

So you get 2x economic damages and between $200k-750k in non-economic punitive damages.

Non-economic damages are defined aa

The damages sought in this case are injury to reputation and emotional anguish. Exemplar damages will be capped at $750k.

Ngl the non-economic definition still sounds like compensation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Free Speech Systems filed bankruptcy in the SD Texas today. That creates an automatic stay by statute of any pending litigation including the current jury trial and the jury trial about to begin in CT. FSS, in good faith, filed an emergency motion to lift the stay with regard to the TX case (the trial we're watching now) but not the CT case.

This means at some point later today or over the weekend Jones will file a notice of removal to the CT court, stripping it again of jurisdiction, and sending them back to the SD of TX. That trial will be kicked down the road months because of this unless the stay is lifted.

The emergency motion should be granted, but as of right now technically Judge Gamble has been stripped of jurisdiction and the trial should not technically resume until the federal judge lifts the stay. Jones asked for it to be done by 8:30 Monday morning. I'll keep my eye on the docket and update. Here it is on courtlistener for those interested: https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/64712088/free-speech-systems-llc/

The CT attorneys, plaintiffs, and judge are gonna be pisssssssed. I think this will be the fourth bad faith removal to federal court for them.

Jones is doing this because he thinks he can shift all the blame onto FSS and indemnify himself from liability. His bankruptcy petitions are basically the same as last time except FSS is taking the place of the previous empty shells including it's massive $50m debt to Jones via PQPR. Hopefully the judge sees this as a bad faith filing, lifts the stay, dismisses the bankruptcy, and bans jones from refiling.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
personally i hope the judge bans alex from breathing

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

teen witch posted:

I would say leave it open, there may be more stuff over the weekend + general shitposting.

This should be read solely as my opinion as A Poster, I am not a GBS mod.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ILL Machina posted:

Ngl the non-economic definition still sounds like compensation.

It is compensation. That isn't the point. Compensatory damages is made of economic and non-economic damages. They're subcategories of compensatory damages.

The exemplar/punitive damages cap is based upon multipliers for economic and non-economic damages specifically not compensatory damages generally. The caps are 2x your economic damages and between $200k-750k of your non-economic damages.

I made this in excel to hopefully clarify things:

e: If this seems like a hosed up system, you're right! This is due to Greg Abbott's tort reform.

e2: Also no one is even allowed to tell the jury about these caps even during the punitive damages phase. The thought being that if the jury was aware of the caps, they would just increase compensatory damages to offset.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 29, 2022

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
alex is absolutely going to pull some poo poo over the weekend, considering he is constantly pulling poo poo while court is in session. i know normally that kinda poo poo belongs in an internet culture warriors thread but any dumb poo poo he does now is going to get brought up in the trial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Robo Reagan posted:

alex is absolutely going to pull some poo poo over the weekend, considering he is constantly pulling poo poo while court is in session. i know normally that kinda poo poo belongs in an internet culture warriors thread but any dumb poo poo he does now is going to get brought up in the trial

He just pulled some major poo poo to interrupt a second jury trial that is about to begin.