Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Duckman2008 posted:

Sorry man, that sucks. I assume you ordered before 4-5ish local time ?

Verizon level 2 care is 800-392-0717 , they should credit you the shipping fee. Maybe you can get the upgrade fee waived ? No guarantees there.

Yeah, I think I ordered it around 2:30-3pm local time. And Verizon got the shipment notification out that evening, so I'm just chalking it up to FedEx again being crap. Part of the anger is that last week, they delivered a new mattress that my wife and I had been looking forward to it for a long time, and it was one of those ones that are all rolled up and vacsealed. When they arrived, I went out to help and could hear the FedEx person cursing and pounding stuff, etc. When they opened the door, they told me that the mattress had "broken free" from its "crummy shipping box", nevermind that it looked like whoever loaded it had wedged it between the truck's spare tires and another big box on the truck.

I don't care about the delivery fee or anything, I just want to give feedback on FedEx's horrible shipping practices. Not that it probably makes a difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, I think I ordered it around 2:30-3pm local time. And Verizon got the shipment notification out that evening, so I'm just chalking it up to FedEx again being crap. Part of the anger is that last week, they delivered a new mattress that my wife and I had been looking forward to it for a long time, and it was one of those ones that are all rolled up and vacsealed. When they arrived, I went out to help and could hear the FedEx person cursing and pounding stuff, etc. When they opened the door, they told me that the mattress had "broken free" from its "crummy shipping box", nevermind that it looked like whoever loaded it had wedged it between the truck's spare tires and another big box on the truck.

I don't care about the delivery fee or anything, I just want to give feedback on FedEx's horrible shipping practices. Not that it probably makes a difference?

I mean yeah, I appreciate the sentiment but verizon care doesn’t have a ticket to file a complaint to fedex or anything like that, they would just be like “I am sorry to hear that, he’s a credit for the shipping .”

Sucks, but it’s hard to give feedback on poo poo like that, which , you know, is why companies like fedex don’t fix poo poo like that.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Is there any bizarre catch to the free s22/iPhone 13 upgrade? I'd be trading in a note 10 5g and two iPhone 11s and it looks like all three lines are eligible. Assuming that there's something I'm overlooking.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PneumonicBook posted:

Is there any bizarre catch to the free s22/iPhone 13 upgrade? I'd be trading in a note 10 5g and two iPhone 11s and it looks like all three lines are eligible. Assuming that there's something I'm overlooking.

You need to be on a “premium” data plan, which is usually the play more or do more. Also, you will pay a $35 upgrade fee per phone and (in most states) the sales tax based on the retail cost of the phone. Finally, it’s a discount over 36 months , not an upfront discount.

That said, if you’re planning on staying on Verizon for 3 years, take the $800, not a bad offer

Some customers have retention offers where any unlimited plans qualify. Mileage varies.

Fyi I work Monday, Tuesday and Friday. Don’t feel like, obligated, but Feel free to PM, I work in the sales center and can call you and help process it all so it’s easier. I help goons here all the time and don’t mind helping.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Duckman2008 posted:

You need to be on a “premium” data plan, which is usually the play more or do more. Also, you will pay a $35 upgrade fee per phone and (in most states) the sales tax based on the retail cost of the phone. Finally, it’s a discount over 36 months , not an upfront discount.

That said, if you’re planning on staying on Verizon for 3 years, take the $800, not a bad offer

Some customers have retention offers where any unlimited plans qualify. Mileage varies.

Fyi I work Monday, Tuesday and Friday. Don’t feel like, obligated, but Feel free to PM, I work in the sales center and can call you and help process it all so it’s easier. I help goons here all the time and don’t mind helping.

I just checked and we're all on the do more plan. I'll talk with the wife and kiddo and see if they want new phones and pm you some time this week, thanks!

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 9, 2022

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I have a question for you Duckman and hoping you could steer me with what to do.

So FedEx still hasn't delivered the phone I had ordered, and now does not give any updates as to delivery. I went ahead and just went to the Apple Store nearby and bought an unlocked version for my wife. It went through the entire normal iPhone setup properly, including transferring all of her existing apps, data, etc., but it didn't show as activated on Verizon.

I know it has an eSIM and doesn't have the Verizon 5G physical SIM; while trying to activate it online, I would never receive the online verification code, and now it simply tells me to contact Customer Service.

Strangely though, under "Cellular Data", it now shows the normal settings/info I'd expect to see, and seems to be recognizing her # and such, but it just won't connect to Verizon's network, and has thrown the occasional message saying it couldn't activate.

It seems like maybe this is because the original phone I ordered through Verizon, is still "pending", and so I have to get it returned/canceled before the system will let the new phone activate?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

I have a question for you Duckman and hoping you could steer me with what to do.

So FedEx still hasn't delivered the phone I had ordered, and now does not give any updates as to delivery. I went ahead and just went to the Apple Store nearby and bought an unlocked version for my wife. It went through the entire normal iPhone setup properly, including transferring all of her existing apps, data, etc., but it didn't show as activated on Verizon.

I know it has an eSIM and doesn't have the Verizon 5G physical SIM; while trying to activate it online, I would never receive the online verification code, and now it simply tells me to contact Customer Service.

Strangely though, under "Cellular Data", it now shows the normal settings/info I'd expect to see, and seems to be recognizing her # and such, but it just won't connect to Verizon's network, and has thrown the occasional message saying it couldn't activate.

It seems like maybe this is because the original phone I ordered through Verizon, is still "pending", and so I have to get it returned/canceled before the system will let the new phone activate?

They don’t do verification codes for eSIM now, it just auto programs.

I would call care at (800) 392-0717 , it’s almost for sure that they just have to change the IMEI to the eSIM in the system.

Fun, very weird thing: with the new process, apparently eSIM can’t provision over wifi , you have to turn off Wi-Fi so it goes through the call network. I don’t do setups anymore, so I just know this in general, mileage can vary.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

They don’t do verification codes for eSIM now, it just auto programs.

I would call care at (800) 392-0717 , it’s almost for sure that they just have to change the IMEI to the eSIM in the system.

Fun, very weird thing: with the new process, apparently eSIM can’t provision over wifi , you have to turn off Wi-Fi so it goes through the call network. I don’t do setups anymore, so I just know this in general, mileage can vary.

Thank you for the info/number! I called and was able to give the info they needed and got it activated. It was great timing too, since her old phone had more issues today.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Trying to figure out the best way ahead on this.

Verizon currently has an $800 trade in offer.

I’ve got a paid off iPhone 12 mini and $150 device dollars. I’m in the 5g unlimited plan so I qualify for the offer I think.

However, since my last phone poo poo the bed, I’d rather pay for it in full since my credit card will extend the warranty by a year.

I tried upgrading to an iPhone 13 and the only option it gave me was to upgrade for $2.33 a month OR to pay $900 up front.

Is there any way to receive the $800 credit up front or will always be applied over 24 months? Asking because I’m also thinking of switching to xfinity mobile when I move next month so I’m wondering what would happen if I transfer service-do I just lose out on the 24 months of credit?

Maybe I just bite the bullet and buy AppleCare for $149 even though I’ve only needed it once in the past 10 years?

nwin fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 14, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

nwin posted:

I’ve got a paid off iPhone 12 mini and $150 device dollars. I’m in the 5g unlimited plan so I qualify for the offer I think.

However, since my last phone poo poo the bed, I’d rather pay for it in full since my credit card will extend the warranty by a year.

I tried upgrading to an iPhone 13 and the only option it gave me was to upgrade for $2.33 a month OR to pay $900 up front.

Is there any way to receive the $800 credit up front or will always be applied over 24 months? Asking because I’m also thinking of switching to xfinity mobile when I move next month so I’m wondering what would happen if I transfer service-do I just lose out on the 24 months of credit?

Maybe I just bite the bullet and buy AppleCare for $149 even though I’ve only needed it once in the past 10 years?
AFAIK the trade in credit is only available in monthly installments. That’s how carriers can afford to offer such generous deals, by “locking you” into paying for their service in order to get the credit.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Well, first of all, it’s now only over 36 months. 2 year contracts are dead, only 3 years (because we need more profits).

Trade in credit is only over 3 years, must keep service, etc. that’s what subsidizes the discount for better or worse. So if you leave say, at the halfway point , you only get $400 of the $800.

So basically, you really only want to do the promo if you’re staying on Verizon. It is a good promo IF you are staying, might as well take an extra discount, but yeah, over 3 years.

Given your most recent luck, I would recommend Apple care.

If you do need to order feel free to PM me and I can help get it set.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Sent ya a PM, Duckman. Thanks for all ya do here!

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Duckman

So, I have a Galaxy S8 (a little screen cracking, estimated value $7.50) and the Play More plan.

I would like to

1) Switch to an iphone 13 or 13 Pro

2) Switch to the Start plan

I intend to stick with Verzion.

I thought I was going to need the hot spot feature, turns out I don't, so I might as well save $10/m. Would switching plans effect things in any meaningful way?

Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dukket posted:

Duckman

So, I have a Galaxy S8 (a little screen cracking, estimated value $7.50) and the Play More plan.

I would like to

1) Switch to an iphone 13 or 13 Pro

2) Switch to the Start plan

I intend to stick with Verzion.

I thought I was going to need the hot spot feature, turns out I don't, so I might as well save $10/m. Would switching plans effect things in any meaningful way?

Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks!

If you want the $400 trade in promo you have to stay in the Play More. They will give you a $400 trade in even though it’s cracked, it’s just over 36 months.

Also. Start unlimited is cheaper because if it’s a busy tower, you get slowed down first (well, still ahead of prepaid, etc). Mileage varies on whether you would notice or not, although in general someone posting on SA is techn focused enough where you may notice.

If you need help ordering either way, feel free to PM.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Duckman2008 posted:

If you want the $400 trade in promo you have to stay in the Play More. They will give you a $400 trade in even though it’s cracked, it’s just over 36 months.

Also. Start unlimited is cheaper because if it’s a busy tower, you get slowed down first (well, still ahead of prepaid, etc). Mileage varies on whether you would notice or not, although in general someone posting on SA is techn focused enough where you may notice.

If you need help ordering either way, feel free to PM.

I figured as much

Thank you for the response. I'll think on it.

You get credit for placing orders, correct?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dukket posted:

I figured as much

Thank you for the response. I'll think on it.

You get credit for placing orders, correct?

Word up, and yes credit for orders . Don’t feel obligated of course, one order is never make or break, but I don’t mind helping.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Is there a better way to get onto vzw with two existing phones and two apple watches than byod credit and do more? 1 year commitment with that, I think?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

in a well actually posted:

Is there a better way to get onto vzw with two existing phones and two apple watches than byod credit and do more? 1 year commitment with that, I think?

Yes, That’s the best way to do it. 2 $500 credits for the phones, 2 $100 credits for the watches (if they already have service currently).

Feel free to PM me, I can help you order and get it set , don’t feel obligated but not a problem on my end.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Hey Duckman2008 is the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 LTE compatible or do you need the phone to answer texts and calls? I see conflicting reviews on the Verizon website. I am interested in getting one with the trade in that is happening right now, how much does the watch add to the monthly plan?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

Hey Duckman2008 is the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 LTE compatible or do you need the phone to answer texts and calls? I see conflicting reviews on the Verizon website. I am interested in getting one with the trade in that is happening right now, how much does the watch add to the monthly plan?

The watch is compatible with Verizon if that’s what you mean? Works best on android, not sure if it works with an iPhone.

What watch do you have as a trade in.

Service is $5-10 a month depending on your plan.

Promo is with trading in an older watch you get $180 off. Sometimes there is an extra account level discount , but that varies.

If you need help feel free to PM and I can help you get it set.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Gonna switch over to unlimited from a 3 line older XL plan with the 999GB deal added on. Was super sweet, but the extra $12/mo is gonna kill it.

I have a $25 loyalty offer on the account. I am also going to move one of the lines to a MVNO (hardly used) - if I do this after - will the discount disappear/reduce? Or should I wait until I port out to make the switch?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cozmosis posted:

Gonna switch over to unlimited from a 3 line older XL plan with the 999GB deal added on. Was super sweet, but the extra $12/mo is gonna kill it.

I have a $25 loyalty offer on the account. I am also going to move one of the lines to a MVNO (hardly used) - if I do this after - will the discount disappear/reduce? Or should I wait until I port out to make the switch?

the loyalty offer scales so it won’t matter whether it’s before or after. In general I guess do the plan change and loyalty offer first , although far as I know cancelling a line won’t remove you being eligible for a loyalty offer. Unless uhhh, you cancel entirely of course lol.

Loyalty offer / military type discounts work the same way now:

1 line: $10 off
2-3 lines: $25 off
4+ lines: $20 off

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Duckman2008 posted:

the loyalty offer scales so it won’t matter whether it’s before or after. In general I guess do the plan change and loyalty offer first , although far as I know cancelling a line won’t remove you being eligible for a loyalty offer. Unless uhhh, you cancel entirely of course lol.

Loyalty offer / military type discounts work the same way now:

1 line: $10 off
2-3 lines: $25 off
4+ lines: $20 off

Cool - I just know some offers drop off once there's a plan change, and I didn't know if dropping a line would qualify as that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I can't find the 999GB promo as an add-on, I'm not eligible, right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I can't find the 999GB promo as an add-on, I'm not eligible, right?

Correct. It was a loyalty offer that I last saw like, 6-10 months ago, it def is not a current offer and I doubt it will come back.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Looking at the add-ons I almost got suckered into taking the Google Play Pass until I read the fine print and realized it's a six month trial, not a permanent thing like Disney+ or Apple Music is/was.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

How long should it take to apply a work discount? I verified it on May 20 and I haven’t seen it kick in yet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Buff Hardback posted:

How long should it take to apply a work discount? I verified it on May 20 and I haven’t seen it kick in yet.

Work discounts are discontinued , the only work discounts are military, first responder , teacher or nurse.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Duckman2008 posted:

Work discounts are discontinued , the only work discounts are military, first responder , teacher or nurse.

perkspot lied to me? That sucks

e: based on the corporate discount program it doesn’t even apply to do/play/get more anyway?

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 30, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Buff Hardback posted:

perkspot lied to me? That sucks

e: based on the corporate discount program it doesn’t even apply to do/play/get more anyway?

Correct, employee discounts do not apply to any current / unlimited plan. Rip.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
My wife got a new job and they will pay for her phone but she has to port it to their account. They wont do a stipend unfortunately.

She has a device payment plan with about 15 months left. What will happen to that? Will it stay on our family account, port over, or will it wipe the discount and we are stuck paying for the phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Keystoned posted:

My wife got a new job and they will pay for her phone but she has to port it to their account. They wont do a stipend unfortunately.

She has a device payment plan with about 15 months left. What will happen to that? Will it stay on our family account, port over, or will it wipe the discount and we are stuck paying for the phone?

Do you two have Verizon currently or another carrier ?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Also personally I’d say “stipend or give me another line”

like hell I’d ever let my job have control of my personal phone number with the ability to see who I’m calling

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

“Noticed you called the hiring director at a competing company, what gives”

“Hm, this person is calling a union rep. Let’s find some other reason to get rid of them”

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Do you two have Verizon currently or another carrier ?

We both have verizon already.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Keystoned posted:

We both have verizon already.

Word. Sorry it’s been a busy day.

So, if the company has Verizon, it’s a transfer your service. The company , by doing the transfer, is accepting billing responsibility for both the number and any payment plan attached. So it does not charge you.

If they have another company, it’s a port out and it’ll charge you.

Reminder that doing a transfer of liability means you do not own the number. *most* companies tend to release numbers to their employees if they leave at whatever point, but it is fully at their discretion.

If it’s Verizon to Verizon: the business calls Verizon to do the transfer , they call you / her to verify you authorize it, they move the number over.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Hey, goons. This may not be the right place for this question, in which case let me know if there's a better thread for it!

I've got a Verizon plan and I'm dealing with some seriously dogshit reception, at my house. There's a 4G tower, up the hill from me, probably 2 or 3 miles away, at most; the problem is that either the tower is completely occluded by terrain, or I'm in the shadow of a big gently caress-off stone church, just up the road.

In most places in my house I have one bar of 4G and depend entirely on wifi calling; sending pictures on SMS is a fool's errand, with upload speeds rivaling that of a 64k modem.

I've been looking into installing a signal-boosting antenna on the outside of my house and running a coax cable inside to the interior repeaters (probably not the right term, but oh well); I'd probably need two separate repeaters, one on each floor. This feels like a pretty big task for someone not particularly handy, and there are a lot of options to choose from.

Has anyone had any experience dealing with very poor signal and installing some sort of device to rectify it? If so, what product did you use, how gnarly was the install, and what were the results?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

null_pointer posted:

Hey, goons. This may not be the right place for this question, in which case let me know if there's a better thread for it!

I've got a Verizon plan and I'm dealing with some seriously dogshit reception, at my house. There's a 4G tower, up the hill from me, probably 2 or 3 miles away, at most; the problem is that either the tower is completely occluded by terrain, or I'm in the shadow of a big gently caress-off stone church, just up the road.

In most places in my house I have one bar of 4G and depend entirely on wifi calling; sending pictures on SMS is a fool's errand, with upload speeds rivaling that of a 64k modem.

I've been looking into installing a signal-boosting antenna on the outside of my house and running a coax cable inside to the interior repeaters (probably not the right term, but oh well); I'd probably need two separate repeaters, one on each floor. This feels like a pretty big task for someone not particularly handy, and there are a lot of options to choose from.

Has anyone had any experience dealing with very poor signal and installing some sort of device to rectify it? If so, what product did you use, how gnarly was the install, and what were the results?

3 things:

1. Do you have home internet? 2 and 3 hinge on that.

2. Does Wi-Fi calling help? I’ve had houses with horrid coverage and Wi-Fi calling mostly fixed it.

3. If you want to really fix it, and have some internet , Verizon sells a “network extender.” It’s really a micro cell. You plug it into your home internet , and it creates a micro tower in your house. Should work through most or all the house to fix it. Main downside: it costs $250. If you need me to help I can help you order it at that price. People will ask if Verizon will discount it. Valid question, doesn’t hurt to ask, but I cannot discount one. So feel free to call care at (800) 392-0717 , and they will say yes they can discount , or no they cannot. If you need help ordering at full price feel free to PM me.

If you do not have home internet (needs 20mb or higher download speeds) that’s a much tougher question. Verizon doesn’t endorse actual “signal boosters” and I don’t have experience with them so I really can’t say much. So I am hoping you have home internet lol.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Does the micro tower produce a 4g signal? I would assume so since 3g is basically gone at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alarbus posted:

Does the micro tower produce a 4g signal? I would assume so since 3g is basically gone at this point

Yes. The older ones did 3G, the current one is a 4G LTE signal.