Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Brut posted:

Meet Hakuho's newest recruit, entering the banzuke at Ms15:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2021/11/24/sumo/amateur-sumo-all-japan/

an absolute hoss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Wowie

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Goddrat that's a big lad. Looking forward to seeing him debut in makuuchi in under a year with that physique and with Hakuho as mentor.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1552109529986646016Juryo promotions for September: Kanno (who'll take the pretty metal new shikona TOCHIMUSASHI), Kinbozan, Takakento. Fairly sure this means RIP for Kaisei :smith:.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Hell yeah Kinbozan!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
That means Kasugano-beya has both Tochimaru and Tochimusashi in juryo, and Tochinoshin and Aoiyama in makuuchi. Nice!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I am very pleased with my final position in my first basho and I will continue with my brand of sumo to the best of my ability.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
https://twitter.com/SarahLovesSumo/status/1552877672358768642?s=20&t=eIS4q450LT4ZiVIGPaXLYg

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Expelled sumotori Takanofuji (brother or the similarly expelled Takagenji) is fighting in RIZIN on Sunday. Just wanted to quote this excellent writeup from the MMA thread

Boco_T posted:

Hideki “Shrek” Sekine (12-5) vs. Tsuyoshi Sudario (4-1) (Heavy)

Hideki “Shrek” Sekine is a former cop that started doing pro MMA seriously in his 40s. He turns 49 next month. He lost to Brandon Vera in ONE and he went 3-1 on the Ganryujima Moat. He’s riding a four fight win streak. In April he defeated Takagenji Satoshi, the disgraced former sumo wrestler making his MMA debut. His opponent this time? Takagenji’s twin brother.

Tsuyoshi Sudario is also a disgraced former sumo wrestler, but his disgrace was… less so than his brother’s. He was ejected for assaulting his junior attendant twice, while his brother was dismissed for hazing, participating while having the flu, and SMOKING WEED. Sudario is 4-1 in MMA, including a win over Ikuhisa Minowa and, most recently, an October win over Lawdlain Saint Ilme.

We shall once again be cheering for the SUMO BAD BOY to get revenge on THE COPS.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

More content for the content gods! It’s all English sumo coverage!

https://twitter.com/insidesportjp/status/1553039865448923138?s=21&t=jD2lLixziPpp21TPBJ73oQ

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hell yeah I love content. I hope this doesn't mean that the JSA starts messing with Kinta etc. on YouTube.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Kenning posted:

Hell yeah I love content. I hope this doesn't mean that the JSA starts messing with Kinta etc. on YouTube.

Agreed. Without Kinta, I'm not sure how realistic it would be to would watch.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Kenning posted:

Huh? Kintamayama uses NHK's footage, I don't see how this would have any impact on it.

Despite the name, I suspect this channel will do anything but displaying the actual sumo, in prime time.

Edit: If anything this might end up being Hiro Morita being naive about how youtube works, and getting his stuff hit by NHK if he uses some of their footage thinking it's fine. We'll see.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Is there a history of official English language coverage of sumo? Maybe it's just because i talk about sumo here but it's popularity growth in the last couple of years for a forum as irrelevant as this has been staggering. I wonder if its growth wasn't just local to here. Additionally, I wonder if English coverage will cease when the inevitable fallout happens as uppity westerners get mad at something like insane racism.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I've heard that there was coverage by Eurosport in the 90s and early 2000s, with commentary in various languages. If I just type "sumo eurosport" in to youtube the first result is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkxE1cpyIDo

Which seems to be 2 hours of coverage from day 15 of the 2004 May basho, in...Swedish?

English commentary was typically provided by Syd Hoare, a Judoka who passed away a few years ago.

This page sure is something:
https://www.eurosport.com/sumo/

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Good. Get the gently caress off my TV, Hiro Morita. These last couple basho without NHK English commentary have been some of the best I've experienced.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

Good. Get the gently caress off my TV, Hiro Morita. These last couple basho without NHK English commentary have been some of the best I've experienced.

The English commentary was reasonable like 13 out of 15 days until they made them start working solo, then it became awful most of the time. I like Abema's coverage, I wish I could just pay for their product and use it normally instead of having to go through a VPN to watch.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
NHK should just have Murray Johnson every day

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just buy out Natto and make him official.

But get him to stop joke editorializing at the start of each day.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Brut posted:

Huh? Kintamayama uses NHK's footage, I don't see how this would have any impact on it.

Despite the name, I suspect this channel will do anything but displaying the actual sumo, in prime time.

Edit: If anything this might end up being Hiro Morita being naive about how youtube works, and getting his stuff hit by NHK if he uses some of their footage thinking it's fine. We'll see.

I suppose that makes sense.

Brut posted:

The English commentary was reasonable like 13 out of 15 days until they made them start working solo, then it became awful most of the time. I like Abema's coverage, I wish I could just pay for their product and use it normally instead of having to go through a VPN to watch.

Shiroc posted:

NHK should just have Murray Johnson every day

Obviously Murray is the best, he's an S-tier sports commentator, but I think Ross Mihara is quite good as well. I don't hate Hiro as much as some people do, but he definitely talks too much, and occasionally says the dumbest thing in the world. Raja Pradhan is right down the middle.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brut posted:

MidnightSumo on Twitch uses the Abema feed. It's been great (if tedious with all the, uh, ceremonial pageantry). We either watch that or NHK's Japanese highlights show.

Kenning posted:

Obviously Murray is the best, he's an S-tier sports commentator, but I think Ross Mihara is quite good as well. I don't hate Hiro as much as some people do, but he definitely talks too much, and occasionally says the dumbest thing in the world. Raja Pradhan is right down the middle.
I'd agree with this ranking. It's extremely interesting to see absolutely no Japanese commentator say boo poo poo about anyone's nationality--quite a change from Hiro and his constant "Mongoliannnuh" horseshit.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 30, 2022

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
not impressed i cant find any vids of sumo set to dubstep

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
but this tho is perf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrTZV1oyUMM

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hirayuki posted:

MidnightSumo on Twitch uses the Abema feed. It's been great (if tedious with all the, uh, ceremonial pageantry). We either watch that or NHK's Japanese highlights show.

I'd agree with this ranking. It's extremely interesting to see absolutely no Japanese commentator say boo poo poo about anyone's nationality--quite a change from Hiro and his constant "Mongoliannnuh" horseshit.

I don't think Hiro fixates on nationality per se, I think he just talks too much so he's always casting about for synonyms. As a result he's always saying things like, "the pusher-thruster" or "the man from Fukuoka" or "the smaller man" or "the Mongolian" or "the maegashira 12" when really he could just cut his total commentary down by 30 percent and just use their shikona.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Brut posted:

What provider do you use? I tried Nord but hit a geoblock.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
i do nattosumo because i love his unhinged infocards

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

You spoke it into existence. I hope you're happy.

https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1553169713441968128?s=20&t=WVrktMzkdjsxc1pb4rMDVQ

In a follow up he also adds that Hiro is now a freelancer, so in addition to the JSA and NHK he's a sumo gun for hire.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

some kinda jackal posted:

Just buy out Natto and make him official.

But get him to stop joke editorializing at the start of each day.

How dare you. I will hear nothing bad about carrot chat and an undying love for Golden Boy Hoshoryu.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Bentai posted:

What provider do you use? I tried Nord but hit a geoblock.

vpngate. sometimes you still have to jump around, some are blocked.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hirayuki posted:

MidnightSumo will also put in highlights, sumo-adjacent content or wacky Japanese commercial medleys between matches to fill up the dead air.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

anakha posted:

MidnightSumo will also put in highlights, sumo-adjacent content or wacky Japanese commercial medleys between matches to fill up the dead air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-1Ue0FFrHY

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The plot twist at the end made it worth watching that entire video

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kenning posted:

I don't think Hiro fixates on nationality per se, I think he just talks too much so he's always casting about for synonyms. As a result he's always saying things like, "the pusher-thruster" or "the man from Fukuoka" or "the smaller man" or "the Mongolian" or "the maegashira 12" when really he could just cut his total commentary down by 30 percent and just use their shikona.

Yeah, that's pretty much my entire annoyance with Hiro. He can't handle quiet so rambles to fill the air and it's distracting from the bouts.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Marching Powder posted:

Is there a history of official English language coverage of sumo? Maybe it's just because i talk about sumo here but it's popularity growth in the last couple of years for a forum as irrelevant as this has been staggering. I wonder if its growth wasn't just local to here. Additionally, I wonder if English coverage will cease when the inevitable fallout happens as uppity westerners get mad at something like insane racism.
For a substantial period I don't think there actually was any official overseas English coverage, once Eurosport stopped broadcasting it in the early 2000s (NHK broadcasts in Japan had an English audio track you could access, but I don't think it was available non-domestically except maybe as a premium-cable NHK World package(?).

The kyoukai for many years offered a free feed of the whole basho on their website - it was often a bit too zoomed out and had no commentary, but was still perfectly watchable for the most part. That's where most of the English-language youtube sumo channels got their content, I think. Then in 2014 they decided to monetize the foreign audience and make the stream a paid service, but being the kyoukai they offered very little in the way of upgrades and set prices at $10 per day, or a discount bundle (lol) of $150 for the basho. That got as many takers as you'd expect and the whole stream got discontinued within a year or so. (Again, being the kyoukai, they announced this with a single-line update on the website that was just 'thank you for your support the streaming service has now ended').

Things got very dicey for a while after that until the Abema broadcasts started up, I think most of us were reliant on whack-a-mole feeds of Mongolian TV on dubious services to even see makuuchi. No idea where the channels that have footage of the lower divisions in that period got it from.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

I feel like the YouTube algorithm had a big part in helping sumo popularity. When I was last caught up with sumo (Oosunarashi days) it didn't feel as popular.

I wonder if Chris Sumo really has been boots on the ground reporting and talking to people and let it out that the international fan base is growing for the sport.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

net work error posted:

I feel like the YouTube algorithm had a big part in helping sumo popularity.

literally what got me to search for sumo stuff in sas. it was a highlight reel of a basho where tochi needed 10 wins to regain ozeki. good call.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I got into sumo during summer 2020 when the corners of the sports internet I follow were starved for content and sumo was one of the first live sports to start back up again after covid lockdowns and seeing 350-pound men slam into each other appealed to me.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I got into sumo because of this thread(well, technically the previous thread). I was bored at work and browsing through the forums I never read, and I came across it in PSP. Watched a few videos somebody had linked and was like "well I guess I'm a sumo fan now".

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I like to watch big meaty men slappin meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
I read all of Hinomaru Zumo as it was ending and then found out I could watch illegal streams on twitch