Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I suspect the ricer let's the potato retain more moisture but I defer to the professionals in the thread. I wouldn't really want to fuss about with the small volume mills personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Ricer is just one of those things that doesn’t store anywhere neatly. It’s too big for a drawer but feels like a waste of space when on a cabinet shelf.

That's what holsters are for!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Ricer is just one of those things that doesn’t store anywhere neatly. It’s too big for a drawer but feels like a waste of space when on a cabinet shelf.

needs to be on a hanger

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Does anyone have experience filling in a juice gutter? My partner got me a nice cutting board as a surprise gift a while ago and it's been great except the juice gutter drives me crazy and accumulates all sorts of random scraps that are a pain to get out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
can you flip it over and use the other side? there's no reasonable way to fill it

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The other side has these cute little peg feet that elevate it from the kitchen counter but absolutely prevent it from being used as a cutting board

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I think the only "remove trough" solution that will look good would be to plane the whole surface down 1/4 inch or however deep, then oil / wax it to look new. Maybe you could do epoxy like those "river tables" but that can be really finicky to get out bubbles and get a nice looking end result, and you only have one shot at it.

What I would do is just practice using a plastic bench / bowl scraper to get scraps out of the trough.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have several boards with troughs and never have issue. Is this super narrow or really deep or something? I use can’t picture one that would be tough to clean.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’ve got a carving board that has Y shaped troughs through the middle to collect the juices and they’re pretty deep and square so I could see those being a pain to clean congealed fat out of but yeah I’ve never really seen a regular cutting board perimeter indentation that didn’t just easily wipe off. Sounds like kind of an odd design.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hell yeah, Vitamix is sending me a free blender pitcher because mine started leaking bearing grease at just over 7 years.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Post the cutting board so we can debate whether your complaint is legitimate or not, OP ;)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You could router out the runnels to make them wider and easier to clean, I imagine. (I’m assuming that it’s wood, I guess.)

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I suspect the ricer let's the potato retain more moisture but I defer to the professionals in the thread. I wouldn't really want to fuss about with the small volume mills personally.

If texture is in consideration, ricer is the best for smooth lump-free mash. Some people like/expect lumps.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

parthenocarpy posted:

If texture is in consideration, ricer is the best for smooth lump-free mash. Some people like/expect lumps.

My wife loves mashed potatoes that are gluey from overmixing but still contain lumps. The best of both worlds!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I have a dishwasher question:

I have a dishwasher that always smells kinda moldy. And it never quite fully cleans my dishes. I've pulled everything out of it, taken out the bottom part where the chopper is, I've replaced the chopper blade and cleaned every single part of the dishwasher. I've run dishwasher specific cleaning products through it, I've run vinegar and diluted bleach through it but it still smells and doesn't clean well. Any advice?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you dissembled the sprayer arm? If not, pop it off and take it apart and probably be disgusted. Those can get mold slime in them which will cause both the problems you’re reporting.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Door seal mold

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Speak of the devil, I need a recommendation for a ricer.

I finally hit upon using one as a press to extract every last bit of liquid out of Thai tea dregs, only for the cheapo ikea one I bought for experimentation to literally fold like a chair because the plunger rod bit is two pieces of stamped sheet metal.

The usual method involves a "tea sock" for scraping the dregs into and then twisting to wring dry, but that leaves my hands stained with Yellow #6, and a sock I have to launder afterwards, hence my hitting on the method with the potato ricer.

My next step will be to shape a cup out of fine food-grade mesh that I can fit down into the cup so I can just rinse that out, instead of using cheesecloth as I am doing now, but first I need to find a ricer that will accomplish the task without crumpling on the third time I use it.

edit: note: cup drawing will be a massive pain in the rear end, so preference will be given to examples that do not have holes going up the sides as in the given example, so I can just drop a round piece of mesh in the bottom, or other, easy-to-line shapes.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 29, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
This one is pretty awesome

https://www.amazon.com/Chefn-FreshF...s%2C137&sr=8-14

Chef’N has a really powerful lever mechanism, have not broken it in 10 years of use

Their juicers use the same lever and are great too, exactly what you want if you are a squeeze every drop kind of person

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Have you dissembled the sprayer arm? If not, pop it off and take it apart and probably be disgusted. Those can get mold slime in them which will cause both the problems you’re reporting.

any solution if it won't disassemble? my old dishwasher had food particles and worse things clogging the spray holes, but I couldn't figure out way to backwash it (and it didn't come apart).

current dishwasher is having mild issues but I think I can disassemble more pieces.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s really manufacturer dependent. Some snap together, but I think some are plastic welded and don’t come apart. Only option there may be replacing it. I suppose you could try soaking the whole thing (good luck) in drano to try to dissolve what’s within but that doesn’t seem very feasible.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Can you post the manufacturer and model? If the arms really cannot come apart, you can rent a pressure washer and spray inside the holes. Wrap everything in a 55 gallon garbage bag to collect the drainage that will otherwise shoot out the unit and don't use more water than you can lift and dump into the sink

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Do not use a pressure washer indoors and apply pressure to a plastic component that was not designed for that.

Post the model number. Sight unseen I'd check the seals and run vinegar through it - a half gallon of vinegar in the basin should do it. Almost all dishwashers recirculate the water, so that vinegar should get dispersed through the sprayer arms.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

BrianBoitano posted:

Do not use a pressure washer indoors and apply pressure to a plastic component that was not designed for that.

Post the model number. Sight unseen I'd check the seals and run vinegar through it - a half gallon of vinegar in the basin should do it. Almost all dishwashers recirculate the water, so that vinegar should get dispersed through the sprayer arms.

You're no fun.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

You're never going to go viral on tiktok with an attitude like that

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m just surprised that there isn’t a pressure washing disaster subreddit yet.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
What is a waterpik if not an indoors pressure washer

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I've used one to clean shower grout before, works quite well tbh

E: I should say I used a $20 knockoff, likely much weaker than the real deal

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 30, 2022

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

5000 psi and an oscillating nozzle is my preferred way to clean tile floors and grout tbh.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I just moved to a new apartment, and I love everything about it.....except for the electric stove. I've used gas all my life and this electric stovetop is just not cutting it.

Am I crazy to be considering getting a portable induction burner to use on top of my electric stove? I've never used induction before, but most of my cookware is compatible (based on the magnet test) and the precise temperature control and speed of temperature changes sound enticing. Am I gonna notice a big difference compared to the electric?

Side question - the one bit of cookware I use that's not compatible is my trusty Tramontina non-stick frying pan. Anyone have any suggestions for an induction-compatible alternative? Are the HexClad pans any good, or are they just expensive crap?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What are you cooking that’s not working out on an electric cooker?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

Side question - the one bit of cookware I use that's not compatible is my trusty Tramontina non-stick frying pan. Anyone have any suggestions for an induction-compatible alternative? Are the HexClad pans any good, or are they just expensive crap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rkw0adIAFc

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Induction is worlds better than coil or flat top electric. The instant heat control is very nice. Just be sure you don't get one that needs more power than you have available.

mystes
May 31, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

I just moved to a new apartment, and I love everything about it.....except for the electric stove. I've used gas all my life and this electric stovetop is just not cutting it.

Am I crazy to be considering getting a portable induction burner to use on top of my electric stove? I've never used induction before, but most of my cookware is compatible (based on the magnet test) and the precise temperature control and speed of temperature changes sound enticing. Am I gonna notice a big difference compared to the electric?

IMO unless you own your own place and are going to fully replace the stove with induction you probably should just get used to cooking on electric. Using a portable induction cooker all the time sounds more annoying than just dealing with electric.

You just need to get used to electric being slow to respond (e.g. you need to physically move stuff off the burner if its too hot) but it's not the end of the world.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

mystes posted:

IMO unless you own your own place and are going to fully replace the stove with induction you probably should just get used to cooking on electric. Using a portable induction cooker all the time sounds more annoying than just dealing with electric.

You just need to get used to electric being slow to respond (e.g. you need to physically move stuff off the burner if its too hot) but it's not the end of the world.

In a rental situation with no outdoor ventilation I ditched using the gas stove for a portable induction burner. It’s not that bad.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah my dad cooks nearly everything on a portable induction rather than the stove now, but he's only cooking for one

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I borrowed an induction burner when my stove was busted for a week and it worked surprisingly well. My biggest annoyance was that my moka pot was too small for the induction element to detect which led to hilarity when I tried to bring the fucker to a boil - I think I ended up setting it in a cast iron skillet, with a bit of water in it to keep it from triggering the overheat safety shutoff. In hindsight I should've probably just given up

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

I borrowed an induction burner when my stove was busted for a week and it worked surprisingly well. My biggest annoyance was that my moka pot was too small for the induction element to detect which led to hilarity when I tried to bring the fucker to a boil - I think I ended up setting it in a cast iron skillet, with a bit of water in it to keep it from triggering the overheat safety shutoff. In hindsight I should've probably just given up

Sounds like you have a stainless steel moka pot, I stopped using my aluminum one after reading about how much aluminum you actually ingest (I'm always a skeptic but it's actually a worrisome amount), I've heard the SS ones don't work as well, is that true? Is it basically the same?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Vegetable posted:

What are you cooking that’s not working out on an electric cooker?

There's nothing really that I would say isn't working out, it's just annoying in several ways. It feels very binary (it's either "too hot" or "not hot enough") and I feel like i don't really have the level of control that I'm used to. It feels not hot enough, so I turn it up and then it gets too hot and stays that way too long and i end up burning whatever I'm making. Part of that can be fixed by me figuring out how to use it better (the aforementioned "take it off the burner" method), but....I don't wanna.

Also, whenever I put oil in a pan, i feel like it just...sits there. On my gas stove, it would spread out and coat the pan as it heated up, but with electric it just sits where I globbed it and gets hot in place. I don't know enough about cooking to know what the difference is here, but i definitely feel it.

I'm only cooking for two, and I'll admit that part of it probably just because I want a new kitchen gadget to play with. I'm also planning/hoping to buy a place in the next year or two, and while I've been adamant that we find a place with a gas stove, my wife doesn't really want gas (though she doesn't really cook, she just wants to ditch gas for environmental/health reasons). So if I find induction cooking to be significantly better than electric, that could be a good compromise for the future.

Also, thanks for the info about the HexClad pans being crap. Any recommendations on a good non-stick pan for an induction burner? I see a lot of pans for sale that I would not think are induction-friendly (ceramic), but they say they ARE induction compatible because they have a stainless steel plate on the underside. Am I correct to think that this is kind of a janky work-around and probably would not give me great results?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Sounds like you have a stainless steel moka pot, I stopped using my aluminum one after reading about how much aluminum you actually ingest (I'm always a skeptic but it's actually a worrisome amount), I've heard the SS ones don't work as well, is that true? Is it basically the same?

I've only ever owned this steel one. I get better coffee out of it than my friends with aluminum moka pots, though that is probably down to me being much more fussy about beans and grind settings