Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

MeinPanzer posted:

Thought this might be of interest. Any time there are discussions of ancient maps, the medieval reproductions of Ptolemy's 2nd c. AD map of the oikoumene, or inhabited world, often get posted:

neat as hell, thanks! that map is shockingly good too, for the time (at least to my unknowledgeable eyes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

redleader posted:

neat as hell, thanks! that map is shockingly good too, for the time (at least to my unknowledgeable eyes)

It's pretty solid, all things considered. The Greeks and Romans did a ton of trade in the Indian Ocean so they had pretty good knowledge out to western India (other than the one obvious mistake) and down to Zanzibar, and it wasn't that unusual for traders to continue further east. There are multiple descriptions showing they knew the general layout of the Malay Peninsula and South China Sea. There are lots of Roman finds all along that route, and the furthest east Roman town was a trade outpost in southwestern India.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 29, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Ancient Greece was essentially a paradise that Greeks ruined with greed and murder

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Ancient Greece was essentially a paradise that Greeks ruined with greed and murder

:agesilaus: but also:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

GoutPatrol posted:

I'm sure if you asked people to draw where they think the equator is on a blank Mercator map they would get it pretty wrong.
I feel like it's somewhere near Ecuador for some reason.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What is the deal with how the greeks depict the source of the Nile? I've noticed that in a few maps. Ptolemy's map shows the part that goes off into Ethiopia, but he still shows the bit that apparently splits into two lakes feeding the same river, but they're connected by either a waterfall or big river delta to...something. Maybe a bigger lake? I can't see anything on modern maps that evokes that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SlothfulCobra posted:

What is the deal with how the greeks depict the source of the Nile? I've noticed that in a few maps. Ptolemy's map shows the part that goes off into Ethiopia, but he still shows the bit that apparently splits into two lakes feeding the same river, but they're connected by either a waterfall or big river delta to...something. Maybe a bigger lake? I can't see anything on modern maps that evokes that.

There's a bunch of stuff on ancient maps that is just Making poo poo Up but it became accepted fact. Like California being an island on early maps of the Americas. Nobody knew where the Nile originated, though they had explored far enough up it to know it split.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SlothfulCobra posted:

Why, those are of course the lakes Zaire and Zaftlan, fed by streams flowing from the Mountains of the Moon.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Most via this page

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

GoutPatrol posted:

I'm sure if you asked people to draw where they think the equator is on a blank Mercator map they would get it pretty wrong.
The Equator lies at the Pyrenees.

I'm not sure slavery fits into my idea of paradise.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

redleader posted:

Important to note that that's a medieval reproduction of Ptolemy's original map produced using his latitudinal and longitudinal coordinates for sites; he was an astronomer and geographer and notably developed what was I believe the first comprehensive system for projecting cartography onto the globe in a mathematical fashion.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The source of the Nile was something of an obsession for Greek geographers. Ptolemy was much more scientific than many, who basically speculated based on the nature of the Nile's flood and their general knowledge of geography and physics to posit some theoretical source in "Aithiopia:" he drew on information from two Greek merchants, Diogenes and Theophilos, who plied the Indian Ocean trade winds and were familiar with the east coast of Africa. Diogenes and Theophilos both claimed to have been blown off course and sailed until they eventually reached "“the lakes from which the Nile flowed." Considering how long it took Europeans to actually discover Lakes Victoria and Albert, it's a remarkably accurate guess.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm not sure slavery fits into my idea of paradise.
I meant physically, like it was very easy to raise crops, feed yourself in general, very beautiful, the climate was wonderful, but the ancient Greek's lust for violence and wealth destroyed all that

Except for the sunshine, obviously

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

I meant physically, like it was very easy to raise crops, feed yourself in general, very beautiful, the climate was wonderful, but the ancient Greek's lust for violence and wealth destroyed all that

If you're just referring to the region that now comprises the country of modern Greece, and not the broader Greek world (including e.g. southern Italy, parts of the Black Sea region, etc.) then this isn't really true. Greece is for the most part a fairly dry country with mediocre soils; historically about one year in ten has been a famine year, and major city-states such as Athens had to rely heavily on grain imports from the Black Sea, Sicily, and Egypt to ensure an adequate food supply.

Also every society's lust for violence and wealth destroys everything. Not sure how the Greeks are unusual here.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Its in the center isnt it...

Nope :)

You can put the poles for a Mercator projection wherever you like.

https://mrgris.com/projects/merc-extreme/#a473b325@48.85837,2.29448
Here's one with the Eifel tower as the pole.

If you switch to map view you can see the equator is a wavy line in this projection.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MeinPanzer posted:

If you're just referring to the region that now comprises the country of modern Greece, and not the broader Greek world (including e.g. southern Italy, parts of the Black Sea region, etc.) then this isn't really true. Greece is for the most part a fairly dry country with mediocre soils; historically about one year in ten has been a famine year, and major city-states such as Athens had to rely heavily on grain imports from the Black Sea, Sicily, and Egypt to ensure an adequate food supply.
Based on the deforestation on Crete, I kinda have to wonder if this is not partly because they hosed up a perfectly good ecosystem.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Based on the deforestation on Crete, I kinda have to wonder if this is not partly because they hosed up a perfectly good ecosystem.

There's no good evidence of major deforestation anywhere in Greece outside of Attica prior to the medieval period.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Nope :)

You can put the poles for a Mercator projection wherever you like.

https://mrgris.com/projects/merc-extreme/#a473b325@48.85837,2.29448
Here's one with the Eifel tower as the pole.

If you switch to map view you can see the equator is a wavy line in this projection.

If you give a random person a purposefully distorted map, that quite obviously is gonna be hard to find the equator on, which i dont think the post i was responding to was meaning

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
you don't need to mess with the poles, it's fairly easy to obscure where the centre is just by leaving out antarctica or chopping a random amount off the top and bottom, given the "full" mercator projection extends infinitely

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just like the real Antarctic :tinfoil: :mason:

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Just like the real Antarctic :tinfoil: :mason:

drat that’s a good map. Delicious. Mwah

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

reminds me of that stross(?) short story where earth suddenly becomes flat, and they discover that other planets have also become archipelagos on the new ocean

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's a big ocean

how long does it take to get to Mars at 20 knots

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

543 years and 262 days

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anyone read William H. Hodgson's Sargasso Sea stories?

Boats of the Glen Carrig, The Ghost Pirates, and etc.

Basically Weird Fiction about encountering various alien lifeforms and biomes in uncharted seas but written by an actual experienced sailor so there's a lot of verisimilitude from the mix of these fine details of actual sailing terminology and 19th century sailor life with fantastical elements.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Carthag Tuek posted:

reminds me of that stross(?) short story where earth suddenly becomes flat, and they discover that other planets have also become archipelagos on the new ocean

That's Missile Gap.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Speaking of Charlie, I feel sorry for the bloke for writing in Nyarlahotep taking over the UK and bringing back hanging for petty crimes in his book series as an over-the-top parody of the Tories… just months before Priti Patel took command as Home Secretary.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Romans and Greeks are natural enemies. Like Turks and Greeks. Or Persians and Greeks! Or Greeks and other Greeks!

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

TinTower posted:

Speaking of Charlie, I feel sorry for the bloke for writing in Nyarlahotep taking over the UK and bringing back hanging for petty crimes in his book series as an over-the-top parody of the Tories… just months before Priti Patel took command as Home Secretary.

It's not really the first time that sort of thing has happened.

He never released the third book of the Halting State trilogy because it was a near-future story and most of what was in it had already happened, aside from Scottish independence, and that wasn't too far off.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Romans and Greeks are natural enemies. Like Turks and Greeks. Or Persians and Greeks! Or Greeks and other Greeks!

Ugh, it's true.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

One of Niven's books also had a gigantic sea with faux 2D planets painted on it. The worlds were populated with their respective intelligent natives, with the idea being to keep them as a sort of zoo to study them in case there was trouble.

This all took place on the "Ringwood" so there was plenty of space. There were some neat tricks. Mars for example was at a super high elevation so the rarefied air would be of similar pressure to the of the real Mars.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Count Roland posted:

One of Niven's books also had a gigantic sea with faux 2D planets painted on it. The worlds were populated with their respective intelligent natives, with the idea being to keep them as a sort of zoo to study them in case there was trouble.

This all took place on the "Ringwood" so there was plenty of space. There were some neat tricks. Mars for example was at a super high elevation so the rarefied air would be of similar pressure to the of the real Mars.

Gravity is still way wrong unless the plateau’s height is two-thirds the radius of the ring.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm fine with being rebordered in Wales, but I don't see why it has to be a kingdom again. Make it a republic based on the constitutional values of Dic Penderyn and Lewsyn yr Heliwr.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This reads like a troll. And judging by the Balkans it definitely is.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This reads like a troll. And judging by the Balkans it definitely is.

it was the Balkans that gave it away and not Russia?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Or the various islamic emirates in the UK/Sweden?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

ChaseSP posted:

Or the various islamic emirates in the UK/Sweden?

Yeah this reads like a /pol/ troll map

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Thanks for this! Fun read.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Arglebargle III posted:

"You Greeks sure are a contentious people!"

"Yes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alaois posted:

it was the Balkans that gave it away and not Russia?

Well, I looked at the Balkans first.