Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Awesome, thanks! Are you running those in Lambdas or Fargate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

StumblyWumbly posted:

Awesome, thanks! Are you running those in Lambdas or Fargate?

Lambdas

And in the case of the web scrapers I have a step function that does some business logic along the way calling different functions in the same lambda. This helps me do all my ETL which can easily exceed 15 minutes on a heavy day. Also handles failure notifications and what not. It also allows me to limit concurrency of scrapers though this has a double edged sword when it comes to unhandled errors.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I know we have some Goons here working at AWS. Any advice on applying for an AWS job?

They have a Healthcare Solutions Architect opening that I think I'd be perfect for (I'm an RN that just picked up my AWS SAA cert).

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Hughmoris posted:

I know we have some Goons here working at AWS. Any advice on applying for an AWS job?

They have a Healthcare Solutions Architect opening that I think I'd be perfect for (I'm an RN that just picked up my AWS SAA cert).

1. Apply to the job you want. If you get rejected, apply again. And again. Tenacity and drive are rewarded here.

2. Learn the leadership principles. While plenty of companies have stuff like this, Amazon lives by them and the LPs govern everything we do. Think about how your previous job skills map to the LPs and be prepared with tons of examples for your interviews.

3. Be good at tech. Any tech. It doesn’t matter as long as you can go deep somewhere.

4. Be able to speak about many different topics at a 100-level. We look for breadth as well as depth.

5. Look for my post in one of the IT threads about building your own architecture and be able to describe it, its flaws and benefits.

6. Be able to say “I don’t know but I’d love to take a guess if you don’t mind” to an interviewer. Shucking and jiving and trying to weasel through an answer wastes time and pisses interviewers off. We can tell if you are faking.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 30, 2022

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Agrikk posted:

1. Apply to the job you want. If you get rejected, apply again. And again. Tenacity and drive are rewarded here.

2. Learn the leadership principles. While plenty of companies have stuff like this, Amazon lives by them and the LPs govern everything we do. Think about how your previous job skills map to the LPs and be prepared with tons of examples for your interviews.

3. Be good at tech. Any tech. It doesn’t matter as long as you can go deep somewhere.

4. Be able to speak about many different topics at a 100-level. We look for breadth as well as depth.

5. Look for my post in one of the IT threads about building your own architecture and be able to describe it, it’s flaws and benefits.

6. Be able to say “I don’t know but I’d love to take a guess if you don’t mind” to an interviewer. Shucking and jiving and trying to weasel through an answer wastes time and pisses interviewers off. We can tell if you are faking.

These are great, thanks!

I was curious about point #1 and whether AWS frowned at applying for roles multiple times, or multiple roles. I'm likely going to be hitting the AWS job board hard towards the end of the year, either for these healthcare gigs or DoD Cleared work. I like to think I could do well at AWS if I got my foot in the door.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Agrikk posted:

I googled that and they're quite insane and a shitload of them (16 or whatever). To hear that they're not just pr bullshit :dogstare: .

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

They are pr bullshit. It's just that the call is coming from inside the house

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Hughmoris posted:

These are great, thanks!

I was curious about point #1 and whether AWS frowned at applying for roles multiple times, or multiple roles. I'm likely going to be hitting the AWS job board hard towards the end of the year, either for these healthcare gigs or DoD Cleared work. I like to think I could do well at AWS if I got my foot in the door.

Recruiters only care about closing reqs they aren't incentivized to care about how your resume got into their bucket. Apply to literally every Solution Architect post you see if you'd like. Have you done any hands-on architecture/development work in a corporate setting yet? If not, Tech U is the program you want as it is essentially a paid solutions architecture internship/residency program with the intent to hire full time. SAA gives you a leg up when interviewing for that role for certain. I don't see a cohort listed in the US coming up but if this is the situation let me know and I can ask when/where the next is, my org is always recruiting from there.

Happiness Commando posted:

oh no my life is a lie

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Happiness Commando posted:

Nope. Nopenopenope.

I can ping a general manager of EC2 directly and say, "Fix your broken poo poo yo. My customer is in pain". And they will rally the troops because Customer Obsession is a Thing. Bias for Action is a Thing. Ownership is a Thing.

..and the other ones, yeah. Those too.

I have literally paged all of Beanstalk to a call because my continuing efforts at escalation had been ignored or left unanswered: When I finally pinged $BeanstalkBigBoss and showed them all of my efforts to engage, within 45 minutes I had a small army of beanstalk folks jumping to help. You can get away with anything if you can couch it in terms of customer pain at AWS.

Arzakon posted:

Apply to literally every Solution Architect post you see if you'd like.

When I applied to AWS I applied nineteen different times to nineteen different jobs, and maybe fifteen of them I had no idea what they were nor had any relevant experience. The message you want to be sending is that YOU REALLY WANT TO WORK THERE AND YOU'LL DO ANYTHING TO GET IN THE DOOR. Then you let the hiring team figure out what to do with you.

Volguus posted:

I googled that and they're quite insane and a shitload of them (16 or whatever). To hear that they're not just pr bullshit :dogstare: .

The big ones to remember are (ranked IMO):
Customer Obsession
Earn Trust
Bias for Action
Ownership
Learn and Be Curious
Think Big
Dive Deep

Arzakon posted:

oh no my life is a lie

It's going to be okay. Just ignore the scary person and we will get through this together.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 30, 2022

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
In a stunning display of Bias for Action and Insists on the Highest Standards, I quit my job at AWS last week.

But yes, having a solid story for each leadership principle will help enormously in getting the job because every candidate is directly scored on how they performed on each one during interviews.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Adhemar posted:

In a stunning display of Bias for Action and Insists on the Highest Standards, I quit my job at AWS last week.

Congratulations! And you left as the stock lost a third its value so double well done!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

AWS job chat - actually practice the STAR response for Leadership Principle questions. It’s a pain, I know, but interviewers are quite literally looking for answers in this format. I’m not kidding at all - use the actual words. “The situation is that our team was working on…”, “My task was to…”, etc.

By doing so, you’ll be able your interviewer to easily relate your answers to the interview panel.

Also, practice writing some code/doing some problem solving in a non-IDE environment where you can’t actually run it. If you’re reliant on console logs and testing things as you go, you’ll have a tough time because you can’t run code during the interview.

Yes, all of this sucks, but it’s the nature of the beast. Happy to answer any other questions about the interview or life at AWS.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Harriet Carker posted:

AWS job chat - actually practice the STAR response for Leadership Principle questions. It’s a pain, I know, but interviewers are quite literally looking for answers in this format. I’m not kidding at all - use the actual words. “The situation is that our team was working on…”, “My task was to…”, etc.

By doing so, you’ll be able your interviewer to easily relate your answers to the interview panel.

Also, practice writing some code/doing some problem solving in a non-IDE environment where you can’t actually run it. If you’re reliant on console logs and testing things as you go, you’ll have a tough time because you can’t run code during the interview.

Yes, all of this sucks, but it’s the nature of the beast. Happy to answer any other questions about the interview or life at AWS.

I actually don’t recommend explicitly saying “my task was” and other callouts to the format unless it’s an entry level position. It is off putting to the interviewers that aren’t robots. The inability to tell a naturally flowing story while still getting those points across smells like inexperience especially in customer facing roles like SA. Also an important part of getting higher seniority at Amazon is showing you can operate independently, finding and solving problems on your own for increasingly complex scenarios. Make sure the “task” is something that you initiated, “my boss told me to do x, and I did it good” is only good if you are looking at entry level positions.

Don’t focus much on code for SA interviews. White boarding and presentation skills are the more likely things you’ll be given. Or a writing exercise.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Arzakon posted:

the interviewers that aren’t robots.

This implies that there are interviewers that aren't robots. I find this very hard to believe.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tell all your stories like you're a detective in a film noir

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

quote:

It was a dark and stormy night ...

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Volguus posted:

This implies that there are interviewers that aren't robots. I find this very hard to believe.

Ahem. I am an interviewer. I get bored easily and while I have a pretty rigorous process I must follow, I dislike talking with automatons.

:colbert:

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I think it's probably more important to make sure you hit the parts of STAR instead of forcing yourself into a routine/form letter style thing. Just make sure you don't rat-hole too hard on any one thing and you get all the bits in there and you should be fine.

Like, just make it clear what the task was, you don't have to say 'my situation was THIS, my task was THIS' - just make sure you don't skip over any of the things while telling your awesome story about the time you did a thing.

FWIW - Nthing the LPs stuff. It's pretty interesting coming from another big tech company how important the leadership principles are at AWS, and how...internalized they are? It actually gives me some minor hope that AWS might fix some of the weird rear end Bezos stuff once they start internalizing the newer LPs around not being terrible.

But I do work around outages, so the adherence to customer obsession/etc lets my team get poo poo done that's important, because the main part of our work is all around having less, better run outages. At other companies it's been much harder to get them to give a poo poo about outages and proper operational excellence stuff, and I'm really impressed by AWS at least.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

Agrikk posted:

Congratulations! And you left as the stock lost a third its value so double well done!

Double thanks!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Speaking of whiteboards... does AWS require you to fly in for in-person interviews, or is everything over Zoom these days?

Arzakon posted:

Recruiters only care about closing reqs they aren't incentivized to care about how your resume got into their bucket. Apply to literally every Solution Architect post you see if you'd like. Have you done any hands-on architecture/development work in a corporate setting yet? If not, Tech U is the program you want as it is essentially a paid solutions architecture internship/residency program with the intent to hire full time. SAA gives you a leg up when interviewing for that role for certain. I don't see a cohort listed in the US coming up but if this is the situation let me know and I can ask when/where the next is, my org is always recruiting from there.

I'm still looking for my first cloud gig but I've been working with tech for the past 10 years, mainly as a clinical informaticist in healthcare systems and EHRs.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Hughmoris posted:

Speaking of whiteboards... does AWS require you to fly in for in-person interviews, or is everything over Zoom these days?

I'm still looking for my first cloud gig but I've been working with tech for the past 10 years, mainly as a clinical informaticist in healthcare systems and EHRs.

Everything is video chat, none of the big tech companies legal teams would be dumb enough to restart in-person yet.

Feel free to PM me your resume I have some teams in an adjacent org who regularly hire HCLS SAs.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Arzakon posted:

Everything is video chat, none of the big tech companies legal teams would be dumb enough to restart in-person yet.

Feel free to PM me your resume I have some teams in an adjacent org who regularly hire HCLS SAs.

Thanks!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Does anyone here have extensive operational experience with Lambda and want to pick up a short consulting gig? $Oldjob is starting to look at it and they want to compare notes with someone with practical experience. As far as I can tell, the scope is advisory only, not building a solution. Language is C# / Powershell, FWIW

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Docjowles posted:

The siren song of s3fs is loving irresistible to people working with AWS early on. Especially ops people. It’s like the first stop on the “No seriously the cloud is not the place to just rebuild all your lovely patterns from the data center” journey. I’ve had to push back on that a lot as a component of a design.

If you’re looking for a quick replacement would AWS Transfer Families work for you? It’s basically a managed service with SFTP on the front end and S3 on the backend. It’s kind of expensive but you also aren’t supporting an abandoned rube goldberg machine anymore which has value.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/transfer/latest/userguide/create-server-sftp.html

I looked into this finally, and after about 3 hours of fiddling I can say we can't use it. We can't use marketplace AMIs due to security and a .metal instance that supports libvirt costs 1500 per month. Our total spend on this account is 7500 so that's probably not going to fly. Looks like we are going to have to it the old fashioned way and refactor everything (I was going to do that anyways).

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I need a little guidance on good practice for building an overly complicated simple project.

Version 1 is working as so:
  1. Upload text file to S3
  2. A trigger fires for a python Lambda execution
  3. The Lambda reads the file, pulls out some relevant contents, and currently just prints out to log

What should I look into if I want to add on a second stage that is notified when the processing is finished, and triggers another Lambda to move the file to a "post-process" bucket? Is that where SQS/SNS would come in?

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Sure, you could also just lambda:InvokeFunction from your first lambda function for a slightly simpler option, and then for a more complex option you could create and and use an "AWS Step Functions State Machine".

Something else to familiarize yourself with as you explore this type of tooling, if you want to do it for work, is a metadata catalogue and lineage tool like apache atlas. I've worked a lot of "data ops" jobs where I'll show up after like 3 or 4 years of people creating this sort of multi stage pipeline in s3 but never bothering to write down where the data comes from, or where it goes, or who uses it, or what's in it, and (usually most importantly) if we're legally allowed to use it because it isn't derived from PII or HIPAA, or maybe if we use it we're supposed to pay Nielsen or some other company an activation fee, and stuff like that.

It's really easy to create a bullshit mess when you start reacting to s3 objects by creating more objects or moving them around.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 6, 2022

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

12 rats tied together posted:

Sure, you could also just lambda:InvokeFunction from your first lambda function for a slightly simpler option, and then for a more complex option you could create and and use an "AWS Step Functions State Machine".

Something else to familiarize yourself with as you explore this type of tooling, if you want to do it for work, is a metadata catalogue and lineage tool like apache atlas. I've worked a lot of "data ops" jobs where I'll show up after like 3 or 4 years of people creating this sort of multi stage pipeline in s3 but never bothering to write down where the data comes from, or where it goes, or who uses it, or what's in it, and (usually most importantly) if we're legally allowed to use it because it isn't derived from PII or HIPAA, or maybe if we use it we're supposed to pay Nielsen or some other company an activation fee, and stuff like that.

It's really easy to create a bullshit mess when you start reacting to s3 objects by creating more objects or moving them around.

Building a small Step Function State Machine sounds fun, I'll have to look into that. And yes, I can see how data lineage could turn into an absolute nightmare at business scale when you start having functions moving files around the environment.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Hughmoris posted:

Building a small Step Function State Machine sounds fun, I'll have to look into that. And yes, I can see how data lineage could turn into an absolute nightmare at business scale when you start having functions moving files around the environment.

I use step functions. Building them is meh but they are quite useful

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Hopefully this is the right place to ask:

I have an AWS recruiter reaching out about a Principal Customer Solutions Manager (strategic accounts) role. Obviously I’ve gone nowhere with this really so who knows, but what does someone in this position actually do? Sounds like a client-facing role where you get them all excited about AWS and pull in other teams to make their fantasies a reality.

I’m also trying to suss out whether the recruiters knows what they’re doing. Can they really pay me what I asked for cash wise (300k), and also isn’t it weird they’re asking a career Azure person to talk about a Principal role? The job posting does say experience with ‘AWS or cloud provider’ but idk.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think you should interview. :)

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

I don’t know what the gently caress a CSM does that an AM doesn’t but yeah it isn’t a super hands on technical role so if you have cloud sales experience that is more important than AWS specific knowledge. They might have it listed at the principal level but could be interested at Senior level if you don’t do well enough in the interview to hit that principal bar (it is hard). I suspect $300k is doable at both levels, but it won’t be base pay, it will be stock+base.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I don’t do sales strictly speaking, but I participate in various parts of sales cycles and pulling through additional work into accounts as a consultant is probably my biggest strength.

I was just pulling numbers out of my rear end comp wise cause that’s what I do when recruiters hit me up, my base right now is 200ish so I told the recruiter I’d just have to hear more info about it. Not sure about the FAANG life personally but my friend at GCP insists I’d be dumb for not at least seeing if I’d make the cut.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Your friend is right. I know a few folks who have come over from consultancy into CSM roles. The AWS Sales org is a good place to be in general, but you have a lot of places you can transfer over to with a consulting background and it is super easy to do once you are in the door.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Pretty sure the west coast people I know with principal in the title at AWS are making significantly more than $300k total comp, but they're also mostly SDEs and idk what this job family is.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
From a leveling standpoint a principal at AWS is much higher than a senior at a no name mid tier company given Amazon can hire uh literally world class experts in their respective fields. But yeah if I was going for any L7+ job at one of the big ones and they had approached me I’d be looking at starting conversations north of $400k total comp at least. Maybe something fits accordingly for the job at levels.fyi?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I looked at Levels and Glassdoor and it didn’t seem like it paid that much tbh. But I might not be looking at the right stuff. The recruiter sent me a news story about AWS doubling salary limits.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

i am a moron posted:

I looked at Levels and Glassdoor and it didn’t seem like it paid that much tbh. But I might not be looking at the right stuff. The recruiter sent me a news story about AWS doubling salary limits.

So basically Amazon used to have a salary cap of $160k for literally everyone. Everyone who made more than that made it in stock, which is pretty similar to a lot of tech companies (MSFT had a similar system but no set cap that I was aware of). Obviously stock keeps you invested because you're leaving cash on the table if you leave the company.

But on the other hand, it's just delayed pay(handwaving stock volatility/etc), and a starting bonus can make up significantly for the delay.

But definitely make sure you're looking at total comp instead of just base salary, because a lot of folks at tech companies make way more than their base salary in stock awards.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

i am a moron posted:

Looking some of the amazon.jobs public CSM listings and seeing the base pay salary disclosures for Colorado then $300K should be easy as a Senior, and you could probably negotiate very close to if not over $400K as a Principal, more if you are in the Bay Area or New York.

Senior: "The pay range for this position in Colorado is $152,000 - 205,800/yr; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience"
Principal: "The pay range for this position in Colorado is $164,500 - $222,600/yr; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience"

The listing is just base, and you'll get 2 years of signing bonuses and 4 years of stock to consistently get to the numbers I pulled out of my butt.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Really appreciate the info y’all. I thought since this wasn’t like, a developer position maybe it doesn’t have all the same perks you see when you’re looking at levels.fyi and all that. I have some ‘equity’ with my current company but it’s made up private equity poop. I’m gonna pursue this, already looking at some of the info for interviewing with AWS cause I hear it’s intense (assuming I can get an interview).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

i am a moron posted:

Really appreciate the info y’all. I thought since this wasn’t like, a developer position maybe it doesn’t have all the same perks you see when you’re looking at levels.fyi and all that. I have some ‘equity’ with my current company but it’s made up private equity poop. I’m gonna pursue this, already looking at some of the info for interviewing with AWS cause I hear it’s intense (assuming I can get an interview).

CSM is definitely not on SDE/SDM level that is a whole other world of compensation but anything even sort of technical in sales still makes stupid money for half the stress.