Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
https://twitter.com/SuperButterBuns/status/1552886450944868359?t=b_gcmbvpB8kVrKFyAF-DSA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Props to Yoko Taro and Yosuke Saito for playing along and not spillin a drat thing through all this. Even if it isn't some weird rear end viral campaign hinting at a sequel or a remake, I imagine some cool model tools is gonna lead to so neat NieR content in the future.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Not the announcement I was hoping for, but that's cool that it's just some people who did something rad and not an official marketing thing

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HJE-Cobra posted:

Team of three modders worked in secret, and will be releasing their mod tools open-source or whatever. Sadly no ghosts.

I had a feeling that the stuff in the church was too on-the-nose lore-heavy fanservicey to be real cut content.

that owns lol

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wonder if people had to have meetings with YT like "you're SURE this wasn't you? You have to tell us if it was"

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
This was truly the perfect game to do this for because the Drakengard/Nier community's brains have been destroyed by Yoko Taro abuse and they will believe absolutely anything if it means there's a chance they'll get more.

I enjoyed it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Indeed, though I still hope we get a new game in the franchise eventually though (that said, I’m curious if a potential Drakengard 4 would take place after 3 or 2)

On that note, how’s the mobile game Nier Resurrection out of curiosity?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Larryb posted:

Indeed, though I still hope we get a new game in the franchise eventually though (that said, I’m curious if a potential Drakengard 4 would take place after 3 or 2)

On that note, how’s the mobile game Nier Resurrection out of curiosity?

eh. it's an autobattler, if you've played one, you've played this. The story of the main campaign is kinda cool, and the music is on par with what you'd expect from something with Nier in the name. worth checking out for free, but you're safe to put it away as soon as you start getting sick of it, it doesn't do anything particularly different from the rest of the genre apart from look and sound great and have some good writing now and then.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I feel like they'd want to include the Nier name on any future project, but there's no reason it couldn't include Drakengard elements.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

eh. it's an autobattler, if you've played one, you've played this. The story of the main campaign is kinda cool, and the music is on par with what you'd expect from something with Nier in the name. worth checking out for free, but you're safe to put it away as soon as you start getting sick of it, it doesn't do anything particularly different from the rest of the genre apart from look and sound great and have some good writing now and then.

Is it canon to the main series out of curiosity? And if so, when does it take place?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Also the gacha is incredibly rear end where you need dupes of characters to increase their level cap, and when I played they were stupidly stingy with the generic SSR level cap items.

Like, I got in at launch and had 2B, 9S, and A2. None of them were close to max level by the time I quit several months later.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Larryb posted:

Is it canon to the main series out of curiosity? And if so, when does it take place?

I don't think so, but I did quit before actually finishing the main campaign, it could tie in later somehow, maybe.

It's f2p, so no harm in checking it out and playing until you get bored.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

BisbyWorl posted:

Also the gacha

Instant complete turn-off.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bleck posted:

Instant complete turn-off.

oh yes, the gacha is a big part of it. as well as like a million different currencies and daily login rewards and all the other annoying things that typify the f2p autobattler genre. If you don't like that kind of thing, this game definitely won't change your mind about it

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I played the Rein beta and liked it enough but when the main game launched I lost all the progress I made. Didn't really care about the character pulls but I didn't really want to start over from the beginning. A lot of the bits of lore and story seem pretty neat but with it being a gacha game I'm a little reluctant to try and get back in to it despite kind of wanting to

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Happy Landfill posted:

I played the Rein beta and liked it enough but when the main game launched I lost all the progress I made. Didn't really care about the character pulls but I didn't really want to start over from the beginning. A lot of the bits of lore and story seem pretty neat but with it being a gacha game I'm a little reluctant to try and get back in to it despite kind of wanting to

Yeah I liked the story of the main campaign well enough, but I hit a point where I needed to grind to go further and I just...didn't feel like it, it's not fun to do that. Didn't spend any money on it though so yolo

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Larryb posted:

Definitely not 2, Yoko Taro didn't have creative control on that one and it's since been shuffled off into its own little side-canon

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sit on my Jace posted:

Definitely not 2, Yoko Taro didn't have creative control on that one and it's since been shuffled off into its own little side-canon

Huh didn’t know that, though thinking about it I’m not sure what you could do to follow up on 3 either (it doesn’t even fully connect back to 1 for that matter, that was handled in a separate side story from what I understand)

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Larryb posted:

Huh didn’t know that, though thinking about it I’m not sure what you could do to follow up on 3 either (it doesn’t even fully connect back to 1 for that matter, that was handled in a separate side story from what I understand)

Yeah, none of the endings in 3 quite match up to 1, so the actual direct prequel is the novelization of Drakengard 3. The Drakengard 3 guide/artbook has some short stories set in an alternate timeline that goes off of Ending A, known as Drakengard 1.3.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
obviously drakengard 4 will be a recettear-clone starring accord selling the weapons she's looted across various timelines

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What's the consensus on the Voice of Card games? Someone said they're basically VNs with a card aesthetic that gives it a slight amount of game characteristics.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I thought the first one was fine, interesting writing and characters, but the combat is so braindead easy that it seriously brought the experience down for me.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

DanielCross posted:

I thought the first one was fine, interesting writing and characters, but the combat is so braindead easy that it seriously brought the experience down for me.

Honestly that's about what I'd say about Nier Reincarnation and SinoAlice, too.

A bit concerning to learn it's not just a mobile game thing. I've never played Drakengard, is it incredibly boring to play too? D:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

For a card game the demo didn't feel like there were any deckbuilding aspects at all, the cards were just a way of presenting menu options. From what I hear that didn't get any better in the full version.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Captain France posted:

Honestly that's about what I'd say about Nier Reincarnation and SinoAlice, too.

A bit concerning to learn it's not just a mobile game thing. I've never played Drakengard, is it incredibly boring to play too? D:

Drakengard 1 is mind numbing as gently caress to play, but makes up for it with it's batshit soundtrack and story.

D2 I have no idea but it's supposedly just boring in every way.

D3 could be fun to play on a PS3 if it ran higher than 15ish fps. I played it on RPCS3 with the 60fps patch and it was ok. Story/characters in that are pretty funny but YMMV on how much you like just constant sex jokes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/nitroid/status/1553080851151392769?s=21&t=pMh1_wNgb0ckeQ9AhIBsZg

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that’s just normal mgs3

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

For a card game the demo didn't feel like there were any deckbuilding aspects at all, the cards were just a way of presenting menu options. From what I hear that didn't get any better in the full version.

Yeah it isn't a deckbuilder, it's a turn-based jrpg that simply presents everything as cards. The first one was pretty cute and I think some parts would have been :aaaaa: if I'd never played a Yoko Taro game before, but as it was none of it was very surprising. I didn't bother with the second one.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Organza Quiz posted:

Yeah it isn't a deckbuilder, it's a turn-based jrpg that simply presents everything as cards. The first one was pretty cute and I think some parts would have been :aaaaa: if I'd never played a Yoko Taro game before, but as it was none of it was very surprising. I didn't bother with the second one.

I kind of prefer that. I hate deckbuilding, it's way too stressful and complicated in most games.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I also prefer normal turn-based RPGs to deckbuilders but there is literally no reason for it to be cards then. Pretty sure it's just so they don't need to do any animations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s exactly what it is.

It’s just a novel way to produce a JRPG on a shoestring budget with a very quick turnaround.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SE released that dungeon game that's one step removed from using ASCII characters around the same time so they needed a different low budget aesthetic I guess.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Augus posted:

that’s just normal mgs3

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Drakengard 1 is a satire on Dynasty Warriors. It's probably not supposed to be fun to play, unless you find the horrifying amounts of mass murder Caim engages in fun for its own sake. But maybe they just made it badly too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gameplay wise I’d say 3 is probably the best in that particular series (I believe they implemented a few of Nier’s mechanics into it as well)

Speaking of, the Drakengard series never got any sort of rerelease for modern consoles did it (or even a PSNow addition for that matter)?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope all of the Drakengard games only exist on PS2/3 and emulation I guess

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I actually got my hands on and played through Drakengard 3 a few years ago, and yeah, it definitely has some influence from Nier in terms of mechanics. There's a lot more to the gameplay than Drakengard 1, which I believe had a whopping 4 hit combo for most weapons, and most of that combo was locked behind upgrading the weapon.

Not that Drakengard 3 doesn't get repetitive, because it absolutely does, especially if you're trying to unlock the route for the final ending.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Was Drakengard 2’s combat any better than 1’s for that matter? I only ever experienced the game personally via The Dark Id’s LP of it a while back?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Drakengard 2 is probably the worst game I've ever played through. The combat is apparently "better" than the first game, but masking X and occasionally using a special move against thousands of enemies with no other gimmick was total garbage.

Drakengard 3 was a game that's hard to really describe. In some ways I actually prefer it to Automata in both combat and story, but it is definitely a much shakier game as an entire package. Also playing it at any FPS higher than like 20 is just not Drakengard 3, so I don't think it should be ported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The story for Drakengard 3 looked great, would genuinely really like to see a remake.