Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Huh thats weird, every hotel Ive worked at in 4 states over about 12 years accepted p much every credit card including Diners Club. I almost never saw DC but it was like a rare bigfoot sighting when I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I was in charge of hiring a new team member. I guess I did too good of a job because a year later they made her my boss :lol:
Now I get to teach her how to do complicated things on Excel, like how to use the "sort" feature. How to divide one thing by another to get a percentage.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Quick update about the lovely poop from someone's rear end. She kept disappearing yesterday, but she's such a lovely boss (pun) we didn't really mind it. Turns out she has a massive stomach virus and has been puking and making GBS threads uncontrollably in secret and was just banking on no one noticing or catching it.

I'm away for a little bit this weekend, not back til some time next week. I'll uh... give some thought to my future while I'm away. If I puke at all while I'm away I'm gonna call from the hotel and tell her to die in a fire

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

Freaquency posted:

:confused: I’ve never had my corporate or personal Amex cards denied anywhere. I hear that outside of the US they’re much less common but here they’re pretty much accepted everywhere now.

Yeah, we use our Amex as our major, go-to card. Off the top of my head the only place it isn't accepted is Costco. We put almost all of our spending on it (paid off every Friday), so it gets a lot of use.

The other thing Amex has going for it is pretty good customer protections.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Meme Poker Party posted:

Amex isn’t intended for use by consumers. It’s for small business owners and Nepotism Positions to charge (legitimate) business expenses to for which they personally will redeem the rewards points and poo poo.

My understanding (from a small business owner who used Amex for business cards) is that they use Amex because Amex will basically always side with the card holder if they contest a charge, which is apparently also why lots of places don't want to accept Amex.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Shoehead posted:

I'm gonna call from the hotel and tell her to die in a fire

Please do this regardless and find any other job, you absolutely don't deserve the poo poo you've been dealing with!

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Johnny Truant posted:

Please do this regardless and find any other job, you absolutely don't deserve the poo poo you've been dealing with!

This includes both the physical and metaphorical poo poo. Get out, NOW. While there is still some semblance of mental health for you. Toxic jobs will absolutely destroy you. And you know, FOR A FACT, that your boss would not give a flying gently caress about firing you if you became incapacitated.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Shoehead posted:

Quick update about the lovely poop from someone's rear end. She kept disappearing yesterday, but she's such a lovely boss (pun) we didn't really mind it. Turns out she has a massive stomach virus and has been puking and making GBS threads uncontrollably in secret and was just banking on no one noticing or catching it.

I'm away for a little bit this weekend, not back til some time next week. I'll uh... give some thought to my future while I'm away. If I puke at all while I'm away I'm gonna call from the hotel and tell her to die in a fire

If she has Noro, just know it is highly infectious and you may get it as well if you were in close proximity to her.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Zil posted:

If she has Noro, just know it is highly infectious and you may get it as well if you were in close proximity to her.

Or her poops.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If you've got more than a month of emergency savings just quit now and start looking for the worst job you can find. It'll still be better than that.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

Yeah, we use our Amex as our major, go-to card. Off the top of my head the only place it isn't accepted is Costco. We put almost all of our spending on it (paid off every Friday), so it gets a lot of use.

The other thing Amex has going for it is pretty good customer protections.

Same. Mine's a Hilton branded one I've used exclusively for all purchases (except as you say Costco) for 10 years. Complimentary Diamond status and I haven't paid for a hotel room in almost 10 years. I also charge all of my corporate travel to it and get reimbursed by my company. It rules.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

McGavin posted:

That's some horseshit right there.

I'm assuming you found out about that policy after you returned? Because that's squarely within the realm where malicious compliance is warranted. It's worth an angry call to accounting demanding an exception otherwise you take a taxi to a hotel and stay there until they have an appropriate car available.

Yeah, it was one of those "you got a Forrester from the wrong rental agency. If it was with the right one you would have been fine" things. There was some extreme rules lawyering in what they would and wouldn't cover at that company.

The "funny" part was that when I got back I complained to one of the field service reps who way more travel than me about what had happened. He said that he often ended up paying more for rentals because he refused to drive anything that wasn't a pickup truck, so if Hertz didn't have any available he would just go to whoever at that airport had one. Apparently cars and SUVs were for "women and gays" and real men drove trucks. That place was toxic as gently caress.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
A colleague had a fun experience with a hire car: she was told our company insurance covered us so she didn't need to take out the optional added insurance... got a crack in the windshield and a £600 bill.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Marmaduke! posted:

a £600 bill.

drat, how was she supposed to carry such a heavy bill?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Marmaduke! posted:

A colleague had a fun experience with a hire car: she was told our company insurance covered us so she didn't need to take out the optional added insurance... got a crack in the windshield and a £600 bill.

She forwarded that on to your accounting department right?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Also people who work in toxic workplaces for a long time can become broke brained to the point that they interview really poorly, it's almost always to get out ASAP unless it's literally the only way to pay rent.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

evilpicard posted:

Also people who work in toxic workplaces for a long time can become broke brained to the point that they interview really poorly, it's almost always to get out ASAP unless it's literally the only way to pay rent.

Yeah it fucks with you and can stay past interviews into your next job

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I left a boring but relatively well paid and stupidly easy job for a 20% pay bump because a guy I used to work with said “come work with me at this new place they’re desperate for anyone who can manage a team and there’s a 20% pay bump” and hooooly shiiiiiit it’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever done in my entire life.

I’ve finally got my oversized team of computer touchers to touch the computers in a way that meets and/or exceeds the targets upper management have set and I’m still getting poo poo because they aren’t exceeding the targets by enough.

What the gently caress is the target even for if doing better than the target still isn’t good enough?

As of next month anyone who isn’t achieving the minimum possible to get paid the bottom level of their bonus structure is in the firing line and I’m expected to start managing them out of the business.

1) it’s a bonus structure, if you expect it as a minimum make it part of the base salary and then maybe we can have a reasonable conversation about why it’s an expected level of performance
2) lol that’s 70% of the floor good loving luck keeping the company afloat once you make us fire them all you loving morons

I hate this loving job so bad that I have an interview next week going hat in hand back to my old company. I hope I get it and then when I tell my boss I quit he throws a big baby tantrum and they just send me home for my paid week’s notice instead of dragging this poo poo out.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I left a boring but relatively well paid and stupidly easy job for a 20% pay bump because a guy I used to work with said “come work with me at this new place they’re desperate for anyone who can manage a team and there’s a 20% pay bump” and hooooly shiiiiiit it’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever done in my entire life.

I’ve finally got my oversized team of computer touchers to touch the computers in a way that meets and/or exceeds the targets upper management have set and I’m still getting poo poo because they aren’t exceeding the targets by enough.

What the gently caress is the target even for if doing better than the target still isn’t good enough?

As of next month anyone who isn’t achieving the minimum possible to get paid the bottom level of their bonus structure is in the firing line and I’m expected to start managing them out of the business.

1) it’s a bonus structure, if you expect it as a minimum make it part of the base salary and then maybe we can have a reasonable conversation about why it’s an expected level of performance
2) lol that’s 70% of the floor good loving luck keeping the company afloat once you make us fire them all you loving morons

I hate this loving job so bad that I have an interview next week going hat in hand back to my old company. I hope I get it and then when I tell my boss I quit he throws a big baby tantrum and they just send me home for my paid week’s notice instead of dragging this poo poo out.

The minimum is 15 pieces of flair and you have only 17.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Machai posted:

Was this in the 70s?

2009. I'd have the paralegals yelling at me for not getting their databases updated promptly, the IT department yelling at me over requesting more resources, my boss yelling at me about not growing the department enough, and the attorneys yelling at me over... whatever their coked-out brains needed to take out on somebody that day. I was in a completely impossible position and I hope my boss figured that out after he fired me and took my place.

Brewing is a motherfucker sometimes but I would never go back to working with lawyers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Did he show how Word will put a red squiggly line under any pic of a forged credit card? :allears:

Knowing this misogynistic piece of poo poo, the red squiggle likely confused him already.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
One of my coworkers, the other cleaner who works almost exclusively nights, keeps calling out sick. Which, okay, take the time you need to get better. Cleaning a restaurant is hard work.

But she keeps calling out, being gone for about five days, and then coming back for a couple of days and saying she's recovered enough to work...and then, as best I can tell, relapsing and having to call out for another five days.

My manager is currently trying to crowbar permission to hire more cleaners out of her bosses, because the whole point of me being hired was supposed to be that there'd be enough overlap that we'd have coverage even if someone had to call out sick...except that right now, there's only three cleaners including me. So we really don't have enough coverage, if someone keeps calling out sick; we're right back to the situation I was hired to try and fix.

Ideally, we need enough that there are three full shifts each day, with coverage for days off and if anyone needs to call out sick or take time off. Because it's a lot easier to get all the cleaning done that's needed to prepare the restaurants for dinner, if there's two people working instead of just one. And the closing shift sucks enough that unless you've deliberately chosen to work it, you shouldn't have to be stuck with it for long because it never ends on time.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

The minimum is 15 pieces of flair and you have only 17.

Let me ask you a question: What do you think of a person who only does the bare minimum?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Takes No Damage posted:

Let me ask you a question: What do you think of a person who only does the bare minimum?

I *dream* of working somewhere that my co-workers can reliably achieve the bare minimum.

Edit: Seriously though, there has been a distinct pattern across my workplaces this last decade, of me joining, quasi-competent management disappearing, and then me being left to pick up the pieces as one of the few genuine adults in the room.

It's not a reliable cause, though. In order, it was Sudden Embezzlement Revelation, Covid, and Adultery Bonanza. Result was the same though.

Atopian fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 30, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Takes No Damage posted:

Efficient

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

They are good at following directions and hitting their targets.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Takes No Damage posted:

I think that having a couple of them at a company is good because they serve as a good baseline to make other people look good and keep expectations from wheeling out of control. Get too many of them or make their performance the norm and the organization is in serious trouble.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm thinking that, based on the other replies to this question, too many people haven't seen Office Space. Mmmkay?

I mean, the nazis wore flair, for gods sake.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You are hired to do the bare minimum. If they want more they need to have an incentive structure based around that. I would never work for a company where the bonus is an expectation of your work, its a bonus because neither you nor the company have that as a baseline expectation.

Edit: I guess I am a self liar, sort of, because my company gives you 100% of your bonus assuming you aren't cruising for a dissmisal, but, uh, your bonus is your baseline expectations and doing better lets you earn multipliers to that money (possible to get to 200%)

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Imagine working in a society were they give you a bonus.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Thinking about it, the term 'bare minimum' means different things to different people. It can range from working hard but maintaining a base level of performance providing an actual service to vanishing into the murky mire of bureaucracy, doing nothing of value.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm thinking that, based on the other replies to this question, too many people haven't seen Office Space. Mmmkay?

Ooohhhhhhhhhhhh, yeah, I'm gonna need for them to go on ahead and come in to the office tomorrow for a special catch-up screening...

Seriously though, every single person reading this thread needs to have seen that movie at least, let's say 5 times. Not all at once, space it out a bit. But do get started. Faster is better!

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Escape From Noise posted:

Caught up with an acquaintance at a former shitshow I used to work at with a nightmare owner who tried to blackball me on Facebook when I quit 3 years ago. They expanded from 500 to 2k liters and looks like they can't retain staff. I'm finally doing good so I can finally say lol. I hope it's a death spiral for that lovely company and the rear end in a top hat who owns it.

Found out last week that the only person left out of 8 employees at my former work from when I was there was my former AB. I’ve only been gone a year, lol. I think they have replaced some of them, but not all. And they just lost their biggest (maybe only?) contract customer.

Feels good, man

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Shithouse Dave posted:

Found out last week that the only person left out of 8 employees at my former work from when I was there was my former AB. I’ve only been gone a year, lol. I think they have replaced some of them, but not all. And they just lost their biggest (maybe only?) contract customer.

Feels good, man

Hell yeah. I think that place will limp along for a while but it seems like turnover is increasing. After I left they never hired anyone with any real experience. The few beers people have given me (I refuse to support them in any way) have been sink pours. I also think the owner keeps pissing off customers and losing sales. They also are expanding into cider. Before that they started importing some other beers. It's just a shitshow. The owner is always going in several directions at once without laying any kind of groundwork and could never stick to a basic production schedule. It was annoying at 500 liters. At 2k liters you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 30, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

Ooohhhhhhhhhhhh, yeah, I'm gonna need for them to go on ahead and come in to the office tomorrow for a special catch-up screening...

Seriously though, every single person reading this thread needs to have seen that movie at least, let's say 5 times. Not all at once, space it out a bit. But do get started. Faster is better!

Now I THOUGHT I remember you saying that you wanted to express yourself...

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Takes No Damage posted:

A co-worker had a good argument for this situation.
First, working bare minimum gets you your basic agreed to wage, correct.
Ok, if I then work say 5% or 10% more, will I get 5% or 10% more wages in return?
If you are working for $30k a year, and work 10% more are you going to get $3k bonus?
If you do, then gratz. If not, then gently caress them only work bare minimum.

Our bonuses at the time were only $500, but only if you were a high performer, doing 20%+.
gently caress working for 1/5th of a person extra and getting 1/12th of what that worker would have been paid.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

I have the Bob’s running through my head entirely way too often at work. “What would you say you do here?” And I am pretty sure most of management here wouldn’t have the bullshit “I’m a people person answer”, as most of them are clueless about their employees.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

I took a COBOL class in college and part of it was weekly quizzes on the material covered except for the week before the final. That week the quiz was about Office Space because the professor felt is was "The most accurate representation of corporate America".

He wasn't wrong.

happyhippy posted:

A co-worker had a good argument for this situation.
First, working bare minimum gets you your basic agreed to wage, correct.
Ok, if I then work say 5% or 10% more, will I get 5% or 10% more wages in return?
If you are working for $30k a year, and work 10% more are you going to get $3k bonus?
If you do, then gratz. If not, then gently caress them only work bare minimum.

Our bonuses at the time were only $500, but only if you were a high performer, doing 20%+.
gently caress working for 1/5th of a person extra and getting 1/12th of what that worker would have been paid.

I haven't had a chance or the spine to use it, but after the last round of 1% "raises", I'm still looking forward to the day when I can tell someone "You get what [COMPANY] pays for" if anyone complains about me work quality.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

My philosophy is do the bare minimum for about 3 days a week and then next to nothing for 2 days. gently caress working it’s a bad thing to do with your time. Funny enough, at least where I work if you know your poo poo you can do that and still be considered a commiserate worker cause there’s so many more stupid as poo poo people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've been doing basically a single thing per day at my current job, waiting for my new job's background check to go through, and I still had some random person be like "you still doing great at your job like so and so says you were?"

I was just like uh yeah, totally