Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Russian National Charged With Spreading Propaganda Through U.S. Groups
Federal authorities say the man recruited several American political groups and used them to sow discord and interfere with elections.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/29/us/russian-indictment-florida.html

Here's the DoJ announcement:
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/russian-national-charged-conspiring-have-us-citizens-act-illegal-agents-russian-government

Here's the indictment:
https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/1523096/download

This isn't like most Russian influence operations because it's really obvious; dude ran a publicly visible entity, "The Anti-globalization Movement of Russia", that was pretty directly funded. This particular proxy was apparently channeling funds and other support to at least three groups in the US. The only one named in the article is the International People's Democratic Uhuru Movement, a minor independent party active in St. Petersberg, FL...

But it's not hard to find at least one part of his network of entities, because he used to run a website that displayed the activities of the Movement, and would announce doing things like bringing proxy organization leaders to meetings in Russia. http://anti-global.ru/?lang=en

One of the other orgs mentioned in the article can thus be identified as the Yes California secession campaign(whose site has now gone down):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_California

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I mean cool, but the fundamental problem is many many stupid americans want to buy dumb messages and ideas.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

PhazonLink posted:

I mean cool, but the fundamental problem is many many stupid americans want to buy dumb messages and ideas.

Reading through the indictment a second time, looks like the main pattern for this program was separatist movement groups; he also recruited and/or set up groups in Ukraine, Spain, the UK, and Ireland.

edit: It also appears at least all of the unindicted coconspirators (the heads of the US proxy organizations) knew exactly what they were doing. lol the FSB straight up wrote some of their messaging and brought them to Russia to do things like meet with DPR leaders and coordinate strategy. They even had the proxy groups record propaganda to be shown in the DPR!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 30, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Velocity Raptor posted:

I'm legit interested in what made Manchin turn around on the bill and have him come out and ask for more of the things that will actually help people. This is incredibly out of the character he's portrayed for the past two years.

Maybe Schumer finally got sick of his bullshit and threatened his chairs, or decided to put the screws into his daughters company. Or maybe Manchin finally saw what people were saying about him being the sole person blocking the climate provisions. Maybe his covid diagnosis scared him regarding his own mortality and he didn't want to be remembered as a giant piece of poo poo that hosed over the world.

Or maybe this is all a game to him so he can get more news time and have everyone fawning over what he's gonna say next.

I'm pleasantly surprised that he now claims to support it, but I'll only believe it will pass once Biden signs the drat thing.
He’s gonna run.

Manchin 2024.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-admin-quietly-approves-construction-090950910.html

AP posted:

"Not another foot."

Those were the words Joe Biden used as a mantra throughout his 2020 presidential campaign regarding the construction of the U.S.-Mexico border wall. But on Thursday, the Biden administration approved a plan to complete a section of the border wall near Yuma, Arizona.

The plan includes filling four major gaps in the wall that continue to allow the Yuma area to be one of the busiest corridors for illegal immigration crossings.

Department of Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas authorized the new plan, which was started by the Trump administration, in an effort to "deploy modern, effective border measures" and improve "safety and security along the Southwest Border," the agency said.

The project will be funded under Homeland Security’s 2021 budget, though it was initially planned to be funded by the Defense Department.

Yuma’s border sector remains an unsolved issue for the Biden administration as border patrol agents have already stopped migrants more than 160,000 times from January through June in the sector this year.

The figure is nearly quadruple the number of migrant stops from last year and the Yuma sector remains the busiest migrant sector in the state of Arizona.

Del Rio and Rio Grande Valley in South Texas were the only other sectors with more traffic along the entire U.S.-Mexico border.

The Yuma sector was notably busy under former President Trump, who had portions of the border wall constructed or reinforced. There was also a plaque installed along the Yuma border in 2020, affirming Trump’s role in securing the wall.

Biden’s decision to secure the border wall comes after Sen. Mark Kelly, D-AZ, has called on the president to secure the border. Republican lawmakers have made similar calls.

the Biden administration’s quiet approval of the wall’s construction also comes after Biden often used it as a means of contrasting his policies with those of the Trump administration.

In the past, Biden was repeatedly critical of Trump, his border wall, and his immigration policies — which he referred to as "xenophobic" and "racist."

In an op-ed published in the Miami Herald, Biden specifically wrote that the slogan "build the wall" was "divorced from reality" and a wall "won’t stop the flow of illegal narcotics or human trafficking, both of which come primarily through legal ports of entry."

"Nor will it stem the numbers of undocumented, most of whom over-stay legal visas," he added.

During an interview in August 2020, Biden told NPR's Lulu Garcia-Navarro: "There will not be another foot of wall constructed on my administration, No. 1."

"I'm going to make sure that we have border protection, but it's going to be based on making sure that we use high-tech capacity to deal with it. And at the ports of entry — that's where all the bad stuff is happening," he added.

Biden also ceased all new border wall construction after he took office and has told Congress to cancel funding for border wall construction.

He has since ramped up border security measures. Biden also continues to use billions of dollars Congress appropriated for the wall’s construction. He cannot legally refuse to do so — he is only permitted to pause border construction projects.

Republicans have repeatedly sued Biden for pausing the border wall construction.

"The Biden administration’s flat refusal to use funds that have already been set aside by Congress to build the border wall is not only illegal and unconstitutional. It’s also wrong," Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said in a lawsuit filed October 2021.

In January, Biden announced a pause on constructing approximately 86 miles of a border wall along the Rio Grande citing an environmental review.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

GoutPatrol posted:

Reading this gave me a big hearty :lol:

edit: a quarterly feedback thread is now open for the weekend: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008656

it reads more like a shitpost than any shitpost I've ever made

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Twincityhacker posted:

Since I watch a ton of Emergency! my mind actually went more towards "why do they have a bill specfically for California Highway Patrol ( CHiPs)?"

Having just woken up may have something to do with it.

Though as a factory worker, when anything is brought back to manufacture in the US I tend to be pleased. Though I'm sure these chips will be scooped up by the military industrial complex because they saw what happened to Russia's supply of smarter bombs after they were hit with all the sanctions.

My man...

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

Intelligence is real, it's just not an easily quantified D&D stat.

In the sense that it describes many barely related or totally unrelated skills, sure.

Like diction and subject knowledge are part of a layman's idea of intelligence. Spacial reasoning, inference, perceptiveness, critical thinking, and more.

The fact that a person who can eloquently debate on the fly and someone who can crunch numbers in their head both conform to somebody's idea of intelligence tells me all I need to know about the concept. Intelligence is just an impression of competence. And whether or not we value the field of competence determines whether or not we call it intelligence. I'm not a scientist or a doctor so I can't speak to more clinical definitions but I would still be very skeptical.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
intelligence aint real cause everyones dumb as hell, me included

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

World Famous W posted:

intelligence aint real cause everyones dumb as hell, me included

Intelligence is real and easily quantifiable. It raises your spell slot caps and increases your critical hit chance with non-physical abilities.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

For some reason this morning I was thinking about who would play Trump in a movie and settled on Jon Voight

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
So this gets a probe:

A big flaming stink posted:

Do not in any way, shape, or form, say that two children got the infection from MSM. Do not say it on live television, do not say it off the cuff. There is no world in which saying "MSM gave kids this infection" will do anything but inspire frothing hatred against queer people in general.

Leon, I am telling you this with sincerely good intentions: You are out of pocket on talking about this stuff. You are clearly not a queer person and your privilege is blinding you to extremely dangerous consequences that queer people are likely to face due to egregiously negligent messaging. Please take a step back and leave the conversation to those who will bear the brunt of those consequences.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

But this doesn't:

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, the so-called experts at the CDC and the WHO need to take a few lessons in statistics. Confirmation bias much??? smh

Stay classy, D&D mods.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

And now for something extremely surprising.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1553384932533231618

Driving the news: Sinema has given no assurances to colleagues that she’ll vote along party lines in the so-called “vote-a-rama” for the $740 billion bill next week, according to people familiar with the matter.

The vote-a-rama process allows lawmakers to offer an unlimited number of amendments, as long as they are ruled germane by the Senate parliamentarian. Senators — and reporters — expect a late night.
Republicans, steaming mad that Democrats have a chance to send a $280 billion China competition package and a massive climate and health care bill to President Biden, will use the vote-a-rama to force vulnerable Democrats to take politically difficult votes.
They'll also attempt to kill the reconciliation package with poison pills — amendments that make it impossible for Schumer to find 50 votes for final passage.

The intrigue: Not only is Sinema indicating that she's open to letting Republicans modify the bill, she has given no guarantees she’ll support a final “wrap-around” amendment, which would restore the original Schumer-Manchin deal.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
much like how it was probatable to call the concentration camps for immigrants concentration camps just after Biden was elected, pushing back against characterization of monkeypox as a disease exclusive to gay people is currently considered Stifling Debate.

incidentally, Biden just authorized building a big, beautiful wall at the Mexican border, to keep those gosh-darned illegals from bringing their drugs into our country.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1552896211937632256?s=20

really curious who they think they're appealing to with this, tbh

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mendrian posted:

In the sense that it describes many barely related or totally unrelated skills, sure.
Intelligence exists in your ability to acquire and apply knowledge. It's important to recognize intelligence as an actual thing because how we actually do this varies from person to person. For us to have fair and equitable education, we actually do have to recognize that there is a quality to how people take in information that varies from person to person. So, yeah, I think intelligence matters and is real.

What intelligence isn't though, but it gets used as, is some broad quantification of net intellectual skills and knowledge. That's what I mean when I call it a D&D stat. And that is pretty useless as are things like IQ tests.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

much like how it was probatable to call the concentration camps for immigrants concentration camps just after Biden was elected, pushing back against characterization of monkeypox as a disease exclusive to gay people is currently considered Stifling Debate.

incidentally, Biden just authorized building a big, beautiful wall at the Mexican border, to keep those gosh-darned illegals from bringing their drugs into our country.

Why should Republicans hog all the refugee carcasses?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I honestly think that they believe Republicans will support Biden for things like this

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Even though it only specifically mentions Mark Kelly in the article, I half wonder if part of the timing/reason for this is to help convince Sinema to vote yes on the IRA

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Donors, possibly. Also they probably genuinely believe that regulation of immigration is desirable and requires action like this.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Same as always. All those mythical hardcore independent MAGA voters that will magically shift over to vote for democrats if we just behave more like them and continue to allow them to frame issues. I keep saying, man, if we're gonna go down in flames with a 33% approval rating while the country burns and still get called far left liberal leftist radical commies, let's at least die on our sword and live or die with that actual agenda.

Instead, the democratic party seems to be consistently mired in this idiotic "I love cops, worship job creators and hate immigrants too! Vote for US!" thinking for one second that your average FOX News talk radio listening FB uncle is going to notice or sway themselves out of the idea that we drink the blood of unborn children under the orders of Lord Soros.

EDIT:

And, yeah, FWIW, I don't understand the arbitrary application of probes in this thread either and feel like I'm rolling the dice pretty much any time I write anything here and with no real clarity offered when I read the reason for it. We'll see how this one goes

USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 30, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
There's a stickied feedback thread where commentary on probations and moderation is welcome and appreciated.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

They are attempting to appeal to suburban independents, republicans and Democrats that think the border and the immigrants crossing it are a problem.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Intelligence exists in your ability to acquire and apply knowledge. It's important to recognize intelligence as an actual thing because how we actually do this varies from person to person. For us to have fair and equitable education, we actually do have to recognize that there is a quality to how people take in information that varies from person to person. So, yeah, I think intelligence matters and is real.

What intelligence isn't though, but it gets used as, is some broad quantification of net intellectual skills and knowledge. That's what I mean when I call it a D&D stat. And that is pretty useless as are things like IQ tests.

What is measured as IQ may not be a general measure of the ability to apply knowledge but specific knowledge like obedience or what is taught in certain homes (these are just examples)

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 30, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Cranappleberry posted:

They are attempting to appeal to suburban independents, republicans and Democrats that think the border and the immigrants crossing it are a problem.

Yeah the mainstream response you're going to get from most people if you ask them "do you think illegal immigration is a serious problem" is going to be "absolutely, we should do something about it". If you ask them why they'll talk about increased crime, or a drain on public resources, or how it's unfair that some people are entering illegally instead of going through proper channels(despite how risky that is and how long and hard it is to go through proper channels).

Low to normal information voters basically go with the gut feeling of "open borders are bad and the border should be secured because if you can't come in legally than you must be coming for shifty reasons".

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Biden is positive for COVID again. Hopefully it does its job this time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dante80 posted:

And now for something extremely surprising.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1553384932533231618

Driving the news: Sinema has given no assurances to colleagues that she’ll vote along party lines in the so-called “vote-a-rama” for the $740 billion bill next week, according to people familiar with the matter.

The vote-a-rama process allows lawmakers to offer an unlimited number of amendments, as long as they are ruled germane by the Senate parliamentarian. Senators — and reporters — expect a late night.
Republicans, steaming mad that Democrats have a chance to send a $280 billion China competition package and a massive climate and health care bill to President Biden, will use the vote-a-rama to force vulnerable Democrats to take politically difficult votes.
They'll also attempt to kill the reconciliation package with poison pills — amendments that make it impossible for Schumer to find 50 votes for final passage.

The intrigue: Not only is Sinema indicating that she's open to letting Republicans modify the bill, she has given no guarantees she’ll support a final “wrap-around” amendment, which would restore the original Schumer-Manchin deal.

It is nothing short of ironic that the one thing Joe Manchin actually wants to get past the senate is now going to be destroyed by some weird selfish contrarian dipshit who for once somehow isn't actually Joe Manchin himself. If the guy had a shred of self awareness he'd be like "Oh poo poo, this is how it feels when I do it people, isn't it? This sucks."

Joe Manchin lives in hell. And it's kinda sweet... except for that part where we all die thanks to climate change because Kyrsten Sinema was distracted by an Oreo and hip wiggled a cutesy No vote on the future of human civilization.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

nine-gear crow posted:

It is nothing short of ironic that the one thing Joe Manchin actually wants to get past the senate is now going to be destroyed by some weird selfish contrarian dipshit who for once somehow isn't actually Joe Manchin himself. If the guy had a shred of self awareness he'd be like "Oh poo poo, this is how it feels when I do it people, isn't it? This sucks."

Joe Manchin lives in hell. And it's kinda sweet... except for that part where we all die thanks to climate change because Kyrsten Sinema was distracted by an Oreo and hip wiggled a cutesy No vote on the future of human civilization.

"Distracted by an Oreo?" What is that supposed to mean? :whitewater:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

"Distracted by an Oreo?" What is that supposed to mean? :whitewater:

The woman literally once answered a question from a journalist about her policy positions and legislative strategy with, I'm not making this up, "I'm going to go get a cookie." She's either a shitpost in human form, or isn't exactly playing with a full deck of cards and probably should not be a United States Senator either way.

https://twitter.com/pabloreports/status/1529631169834360832

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

nine-gear crow posted:

The woman literally once answered a question from a journalist about her policy positions and legislative strategy with, I'm not making this up, "I'm going to go get a cookie." She's either a shitpost in human form, or isn't exactly playing with a full deck of cards and probably should not be a United States Senator either way.

As a type 1 diabetic that's the most relatable thing I've ever heard an elected official say.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

cat botherer posted:

So this gets a probe:

But this doesn't:

Stay classy, D&D mods.

Cat botherer raises a good point. The CDC is wrong to call this a gay disease. That’s actually a really important point to make, and people who say otherwise are wrong. We shouldn’t invite people to continue wrong and offensive things. Some discussion should be stifled.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 30, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cranappleberry posted:

What is measured as IQ may not be a general measure of the ability to apply knowledge but specific knowledge like obedience or what is taught in certain homes (these are just examples)

It’s not this simple and you should read this:

Ungifted https://a.co/d/15qvA0U

Edit For the lazy an interview with the author

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/why-youre-smarter-than-you-think/id1028908750?i=1000566299176

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Cat botherer raises a good point. The CDC is wrong to call this a gay disease. That’s actually a really important point to make, and people who say otherwise are wrong. We shouldn’t invite people to continue wrong and offensive things. Some discussion should be stifled.

It’s good for gay men to know monkey pox is spreading in ways similar to sexual transmission in their community.

Stifling some discussions is harmful.

Expect it to spread in larger society the same way soon enough.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Gripweed posted:

We shouldn’t invite people to continue wrong and offensive things.

No we should not tolerate the exaggeration of technical statements into moral statements as a rhetorical tool.

It’s sophistry.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Speaking of wrong, when did the CDC call it a gay disease?

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 30, 2022

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

She's big-leaguing the journalist, OP

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Speaking of wrong, when did the CDC call it a gay disease?

They didn't explicitly, they simply messaged in such a way that it can be easily inferred. I've posted earlier in the thread the AP specifically identifying it as a gay male STD.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I honestly think that they believe Republicans will support Biden for things like this

I don't think the Dems are that stupid. They're doing it for the same reason the Rs are doing it - more money for construction and security companies.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

they simply messaged in such a way that it can be easily inferred.

Walenski is very bad at understanding how regular people talk and are incentivized to act and demonstrated that through the phrasing she used yet again. Her incautious phrasing can be misrepresented to cause harm. And that originates from a bubbled life of privilege.

Gripweed, see how easy a much more solid point can be made.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

They didn't

Yeah, that's my point.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Yeah, that's my point.

They're describing it in a way that will absolutely be inferred to mean it is a gay disease and the fact they did not literally say this means nothing. Pay of their role of messaging, and if their messaging leads to the incredibly obvious result of further stigmatization of queer people then they have absolutely failed in their role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Walenski is very bad at understanding how regular people talk and are incentivized to act and demonstrated that through the phrasing she used yet again. Her incautious phrasing can be misrepresented to cause harm. And that originates from a bubbled life of privilege.

Gripweed, see how easy a much more solid point can be made.

No. When she said that the children got the disease from men who have sex with men, that's not incautious phrasing that can be misrepresented, that's a bad sentence when represented by her own words in the form of the sentence she herself said.

And you are being very charitable when you say that she said that because she's rich. I think a more reasonable explanation would be that she is trying to prevent people from panicking by emphasizing that the disease primarily effects an othered population. That's also being a little charitable, she might've just said the homophobic thing because she herself is homophobic and believes gay people spread disease to children. Either way, trying to read into Walensky's heart and soul is pointless. She said a bad homophobic thing and should've resigned or been fired.