Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

fadam posted:

Spike and Doomwake are good streamers, Bosh N Roll aka Brian Coval is the absolute GOAT when it comes to MTG content tho. No YouTube voice, doesn't really play Arena formats, incredibly insightful and never tilts.

:respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Friend
Dec 23, 2011

There's a kid named IslandGoSAMe that's pretty cool to watch, but streams pretty infrequently. He's a combo of good at pioneer and also seems to still genuinely enjoy playing. There's definitely been a few streamers I've had to stop watching because I've caught myself unconsciously mimicking the "high voice to bottomed out vocal fry" inflection at FNM and died a little inside.

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
Dev from StrictlyBetterMTG is my current favorite for standard content. Such a pleasant energy. Number one draft pick for my fantasy play group.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

fadam posted:

Spike and Doomwake are good streamers, Bosh N Roll aka Brian Coval is the absolute GOAT when it comes to MTG content tho. No YouTube voice, doesn't really play Arena formats, incredibly insightful and never tilts.

He seems like he really enjoys the game without it being an act

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ilmucche posted:

He seems like he really enjoys the game without it being an act

it helps that he talks like a normal person in his videos so he doesn't sound like he's faking it

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

He also doesn’t have to deal with pretending to appreciate 2-3k midwits in Twitch chat requesting the same Sabaton and Attack on Titan songs lol

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Caleb Gannons (vintage) cube drafts are great but he doesn't seem to be doing as many of them recently.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Dysgenesis posted:

Caleb Gannons (vintage) cube drafts are great but he doesn't seem to be doing as many of them recently.

That dude loves high tide

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

ilmucche posted:

That dude loves high tide

Nothing wrong with that.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

precision posted:

good lord. i'm not saying youtube invented them, i'm just saying that apparently youtube viewers love them because all the most popular youtubers spend 10 minutes per video just saying meme phrases

repeated bits in media? How could YouTube cause this?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Im choosing the good faith interpretation where precision was railing at thier tv about their news anchor saying "this is abc news" every night

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

DangerDongs posted:

I just want a MTG youtuber that speaks the truth, "I make a sweet rear end play. You could only pray to God to make a play as kick-rear end as this one. Oh look another bitchen play. TAAAAAAP lethal" *Fist bumps the camera*

I just want to finally watch someone truly cool.

This is day9 except he loses while saying that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I watched day[9] stream and I guess he's a lot different from the "be a better gamer" starcraft days lol?

He drafted 5-color piles and was cursing the whole time

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you might've just got him on a bad day, he's still super positive and upbeat and having fun whenever i watch him

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I watched day[9] stream and I guess he's a lot different from the "be a better gamer" starcraft days lol?

He drafted 5-color piles and was cursing the whole time
did you happen to catch him when he drafted Arcane Bombardment, his favorite card, and went in on making a hilariously stupid 5-color deck, or a different 5-color pile? He's extremely upbeat most of the time, one of the most intensely positive and optimistic streamers I watch.

he's not a pro mtg player but he focuses more on entertainment than optimization, and at that he excels.

if you've only checked out a little of his stuff, here's some recent recommends:

where he drafted 2 dusk manglers and went 5 colors, it's a good time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENn6ORgzJOs&hd=1

Fiddling with Arcane Bombardment when it first came out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_NuwaQ9GDk&hd=1

Self-Mill Infinite Scute Swarm jank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdyyX9X7Vvw&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 30, 2022

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

drafted zendikar rising tonight at LGS and went 3-0 with a BRG +1/+1 counters deck, it had so much gas wowza

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Have they announced more for Magic 30? They said tickets would go on sale in July along with some more details but I've not seen.

Is anyone else thinking of going? I'm happy for an excuse to go to Vegas, although I can't decide if I should stay on the strip or downtown nearer to the event.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Have they announced more for Magic 30? They said tickets would go on sale in July along with some more details but I've not seen.

Is anyone else thinking of going? I'm happy for an excuse to go to Vegas, although I can't decide if I should stay on the strip or downtown nearer to the event.

Not a lot of new news, no - there’s actually been a big commander event announced in Utah like 2 weeks after Vegas and it seems like a LOT of artists and Magic personalities are attending that. Maybe instead? Idk

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Balon posted:

Not a lot of new news, no - there’s actually been a big commander event announced in Utah like 2 weeks after Vegas and it seems like a LOT of artists and Magic personalities are attending that. Maybe instead? Idk

Ah, well I expect I can buy daiquiri by the yard there as well, right?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Has wizards abandoned all the branding they did and gone back to calling it the pro tour?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

BizarroAzrael posted:

https://twitter.com/PlayMTG/status/1552701926919348224
As with everything else, WotC didn't manage to adhere to their own schedule.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ilmucche posted:

Has wizards abandoned all the branding they did and gone back to calling it the pro tour?

Yes. But the reason they stopped in the first place was mostly to eliminate the lifetime invite benefits for hall of famers which they’ve accomplished so it served its purpose.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Didn't see it mentioned but there's a potential potato cam leak of Sheoldred from Dominaria
3BB
4/5
Ward- Discard two cards
Whenever a creature you control dies draw a card. Only once a turn

Whenever a nontoken creature your opponent dies, or is discarded from hand, gain control of it. Only once a turn

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Didn't see it mentioned but there's a potential potato cam leak of Sheoldred from Dominaria
3BB
4/5
Ward- Discard two cards

Whenever a nontoken creature your opponent dies, or is discarded from hand, gain control of it. Only once a turn

That sounds pretty good

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

3BB
4/5
Ward- Discard two cards

This seems like the kind of control finisher players get really mad about.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

whiggles posted:

Everyone watches brewers kitchen though right? Probably my favorite content creator for whacky decks and sublime editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGv_UM9bRrg&hd=1

i love that dude. i wish he would do videos about non-Magic stuff since he seems to just generally be really smart and cool and funny

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Eej posted:

To be fair most people don't either, often making it a meaningless catchphrase like the ones you're just complaining about...

you absolute loving rear end in a top hat. this is like the fourth time in a few days you've responded to me in bad faith just to be a dick

i never said that catchphrases are "meaningless". what i said, and even clarified explicitly this, is simply that content creators use them because, apparently, viewers like them. i assume viewers like them because ALL the most popular content creators do it, even Nizzahon

the only specific one i mentioned was how Seth drags "saff-ron ooooooolliiiiiiiiive" to take 10 seconds to say, which is mostly annoying because he says it in the same annoying way every time. it's not the words he says, so much as the cadence, which makes it seem like he's a robot

now, contrast that with someone like Colbert or John Oliver or other late night hosts. they often say the same thing every show, but the crucial difference is that they usually vary it up just a little bit, either in content or cadence, often in reaction to the audience. youtubers don't do that, which makes it super annoying.

i hope i have now wasted enough time on your lovely toxic rear end to ensure that you won't play a mountain and tap it to cast gently caress You targetting my face

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

born on a buy you posted:

repeated bits in media? How could YouTube cause this?

oh my actual god. can you even read. i DIDN'T say youtube invented this! the post of mine you quoted:

"i'm not saying youtube invented them, i'm just saying that apparently youtube viewers love them"

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I agree the YouTube ppl are all annoying to listen to but you make me not want to agree with you because of the way you post

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

precision posted:

you absolute loving rear end in a top hat. this is like the fourth time in a few days you've responded to me in bad faith just to be a dick

i never said that catchphrases are "meaningless". what i said, and even clarified explicitly this, is simply that content creators use them because, apparently, viewers like them. i assume viewers like them because ALL the most popular content creators do it, even Nizzahon

the only specific one i mentioned was how Seth drags "saff-ron ooooooolliiiiiiiiive" to take 10 seconds to say, which is mostly annoying because he says it in the same annoying way every time. it's not the words he says, so much as the cadence, which makes it seem like he's a robot

now, contrast that with someone like Colbert or John Oliver or other late night hosts. they often say the same thing every show, but the crucial difference is that they usually vary it up just a little bit, either in content or cadence, often in reaction to the audience. youtubers don't do that, which makes it super annoying.

i hope i have now wasted enough time on your lovely toxic rear end to ensure that you won't play a mountain and tap it to cast gently caress You targetting my face

Nice meltdown.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Let's all be like precision's avatar and hug our posting pals. No need to talk about catchphrases

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

precision posted:

Are you going to meltdown on me also if I say the deck you built is bad

edit- Oh that was in the other thread you are melting down in, sorry

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

precision posted:

Heeeere’s precision!!!!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Arivia posted:

Heeeere’s precision!!!!

:irony: :ironicat: :irony:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

thanks to denial, I've never gotten mana screwed

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Katana Gomai posted:

https://twitter.com/PlayMTG/status/1552701926919348224
As with everything else, WotC didn't manage to adhere to their own schedule.

Just in time for monkeypox to peak, gonna be lit

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

precision posted:

Lesson to be learned here: it doesn’t matter how right you think you are, if you ever find yourself posting like this you’ve already lost.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah they are melting down but tbf people were misreading their posts to the point where I thought the intentionally incorrect interpretations were a thread in-joke I wasn't part of

Going back and reading them now, it just looks like people constantly scouting for their next slam dunk post that will land them a screenshot in the SA quotes thread or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I thought the quotes thread was killed in 2015 bc it was complete poo poo lol