Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That'll do, piggus. That'll do.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

You keep blaming the game when many of your issues come down to your refusal to use a different weapon. The threaded cane has comparatively little reach when untransformed, and does next to no hitstun, and here you are, whiffing tons of attacks because you overestimate the length of the weapon, and getting hit back because enemies aren't taking enough hitstun. Seems like there might be a connection, there. The threaded cane's intended playstyle is "whack, sidestep, repeat" because it does nothing to prevent foes from smacking you around. If "aggressive" to you means "murder them before they get a hit in by mashing the attack button a bunch", you're going to want a heavier weapon, period.

Don't teach him the from secret so early! The from secret is that most of the time a jumping R2 with a heavy strength based weapon held with both your hands is easy and powerful and pretty often makes short work out of everything since it generally solves things with only one opportunity to make a mistake.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

AtomikKrab posted:

Well that fight ended far differently then I expected
My first fight against Djura ended the same way, except he fell down the other side of the tower. I happened to capture what happens then

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/789214877520912388?s=20&t=L5tAdP5ruRcclBa6IJxN-w

(reloading the area, as is tradition in From games, fixed the issue by putting the item drop at his spawn point)

I really don't know why Tea is so insistent on calling Old Yharnam optional. Yes, it is, but like 50% of the game is. There's good poo poo everywhere and it's well worth exploring everything. Like, if you had checked out said parts of Old Yharnam that Tea mentioned exist and that you just dismissed, you could have gotten the armor set with the best fire resistance in the game. That would have made Hot Dog a little easier!

In the same vein, I've written that on YT, but it's baffling to me how allergic Nat is to optional content just being there. If you grind for a new armor in Monster Hunter, do you feel unaccomplished after you finally got all the parts because they game doesn't tell you "good job you did it you got the armor, now you can fight [x] because it has better [y] defense"? Or do you just kill things because...it's fun?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The actual, no joke, critical you have to kill these bosses path for Bloodborne is 7, in a game that has nearly 25. Nearly 2/3rds of the base game is entirely "optional" because a big point of the game is that you can approach it as a Hunter, here to kill a few beasts on the critical path to the ending. But what about the mystery and exploration of a city collapsing in a werewolf apocalypse.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
If I'm honest, in Monhun I cheat engine items I need if I want to use a weapon I don't have yet because grinding is dumb. (As long as I've killed the prerequisite monster)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Nat is someone who will end themselves up doing end game content with terrible builds and a weapon that doesn't fit their style, and still win.

Also you missed some important admittedly optional content and interactions there. Since he is dead now, I will also say the way to pacify Djura can be found in there as well

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Try a different weapon Nat, seriously you might enjoy some of them

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
It's good to experiment with different weapons in From games, particularly Bloodborne because they're largely all so distinct in it. I just think it's fun to try out different stuff as a change of pace. I'm one of those people who makes weapons of every single type in monster hunter and rotates between them.

Edit: Also, I forget, but was it brought up that fire adds arcane scaling? At least, that's what I remember.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 30, 2022

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Obligatum VII posted:

It's good to experiment with different weapons in From games, particularly Bloodborne because they're largely all so distinct in it. I just think it's fun to try out different stuff as a change of pace. I'm one of those people who makes weapons of every single type in monster hunter and rotates between them.

Edit: Also, I forget, but was it brought up that fire adds arcane scaling? At least, that's what I remember.

I would actually say that Bloodborne and Monster Hunter have something in common, as far as weapons go, in that in both, your choice of weapon is the primary thing that defines your playstyle. The Threaded Cane plays completely differently from the Kirkhammer, which plays completely differently from the Tonitrus, etc. Very few weapons play even close to similarly to others.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I really think he'd like the Tonitrus. It's fast enough to hit and dodge, but does more then the cane's chip damage. Whip for groups, tonitrus for one on one. Plus different damage types.

Of course, kirkhammer is still the best out of everything :gibs:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

On weapons and playstyle:
It's ironic, really - what's winding some people up is that you are intentionally missing out on a lot of the breadth of the game, but is precisely because of the game design allowing the player to succeed with any one of a variety of weapons and playstyles that you are able to do it. And it's fine.
It's the same as Pokemon. Want to solo the game with your best buddy starter, who's monstrously overlevelled due to being a party of one? Sure you can. Accumulate a balanced team as you go to deal with any type of threat? Also works fine. Meticulously plan your roster, swapping mons in and out until you have an unstoppable team of legendaries? Hell yes. Just roll with whichever mons you think look the classiest? Yup, you can also beat the game like this.

On agression:
I think that the "be aggressive" thing is only true if you are looking at it as a specific comparison to dark souls. Compared to a lot of other games, then it's just "play normally, I guess", and compared to something like bayonetta it's "be extremely conservative". Dark souls combat is really slow and tactical since most enemies will kill you in a few hits, and attacking & dodging uses up a lot of your stamina. Patience and timing is everything - and you're probably also carrying a shield.

Shields in DS were so drat good that you can deal with most enemies by waiting until they bonk an attack off your shield, which puts them into a recoil/stun animation allowing you ample time to murder them. The wooden shield that we just picked up is a direct nod and wink to this - it's a useless gimmick item that is there to tell you, "hey Dark Souls fan, don't bother trying to hide behind a shield, you have to actually dodge and kill stuff fast before you make a mistake and die".

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
The naked rolling fat man with the huge club from the chalice dungeon is also a nod and wink to dark souls players

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Crazy Achmed posted:

On agression:
I think that the "be aggressive" thing is only true if you are looking at it as a specific comparison to dark souls. Compared to a lot of other games, then it's just "play normally, I guess", and compared to something like bayonetta it's "be extremely conservative". Dark souls combat is really slow and tactical since most enemies will kill you in a few hits, and attacking & dodging uses up a lot of your stamina. Patience and timing is everything - and you're probably also carrying a shield.

When Nat was talking about the rally mechanic while fighting giants it looked like he was just standing in front of them trading blows trying to make a point about the futility of aggression, but that is not the kind of aggression anyone is advocating for.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Crazy Achmed posted:

On weapons and playstyle:
It's ironic, really - what's winding some people up is that you are intentionally missing out on a lot of the breadth of the game, but is precisely because of the game design allowing the player to succeed with any one of a variety of weapons and playstyles that you are able to do it. And it's fine.
It's the same as Pokemon. Want to solo the game with your best buddy starter, who's monstrously overlevelled due to being a party of one? Sure you can. Accumulate a balanced team as you go to deal with any type of threat? Also works fine. Meticulously plan your roster, swapping mons in and out until you have an unstoppable team of legendaries? Hell yes. Just roll with whichever mons you think look the classiest? Yup, you can also beat the game like this.

On agression:

Shields in DS were so drat good that you can deal with most enemies by waiting until they bonk an attack off your shield, which puts them into a recoil/stun animation allowing you ample time to murder them. The wooden shield that we just picked up is a direct nod and wink to this - it's a useless gimmick item that is there to tell you, "hey Dark Souls fan, don't bother trying to hide behind a shield, you have to actually dodge and kill stuff fast before you make a mistake and die".

It does allow to you succeed with really your pick of the builds, but Nat is not even trying out things and then complains. Nat is even doing farming runs which are a perfect place to try out some different toys for beast killin.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm not really sure how I can try out new weapons when they all have stat floors I don't meet?

Also when most of them scale off stats I've not spent anything in so they'd be very significant downgrades unless I then spent 10+ level ups on strength?

And also when most would also require blood stone shards to upgrade to a similar level to the threaded cane, which I would also need to farm.

If respeccing was trivial I would have probably tried everything out ages ago.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jul 30, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

If you don't feel like leveling up to go stronger, you could also level up to try out new weapons. Especially on a first blind playthrough, just knowing what's on the menu is quite useful. I personally don't think the Tonitrus is fun at all, however it's insanely effective, and you could probably see that immediately by taking an unupgraded one for a spin through the first area, netting you some Vials at the same time.

Speaking of level ups, you claim you're doing a "visceral-focused build", which is fine and fun, just two comments which are not new information itt:
- don't forget about blood bullets if you keep parrying
- visceral attacks scale with skill
- incidentally, at +6, the cane also starts to massively scale with skill. just saaaaaaaaaayin

Obligatum VII posted:

Making weapon elemental is weird in BB. As we could see in the video, when Nat slotted the gem, it didn't add extra fire damage, it replaced all the physical damage with fire; and thus, him adding the +x% physical damage gem afterwards did absolutely nothing. There's also no "added" arcane scaling; the cane scales low with str, extremely well with skl, and middling with arcane. The latter is entirely pointless as long as you keep it physical. The spear scales okay with both str and skl (latter slightly favored) and also fine with arc - which, again, is pointless unless you make it into an elemental weapon. Now that Nat did that, the spear no longer scales with str and skl at all, it purely scales with the arc scaling it already had but that was unused. You're switching the main damage type completely.

There are weapons that natively have some arcane damage component to them, and for those, that part of their damage does in fact scale with your arc stat in the weapon's basic form while the physical component scales with str and skl. Said basic form is the only form; you cannot make those weapons elemental.

EDIT: I was writing while Nat wrote his post, so it wasn't intended as an answer, but here's a concrete one: you're missing three levels in Str to try the Tonitrus. That's nothing. There's 4 Skill-focused weapons that require at least 10 Str, so you're only "wasting" two points, and one more weapon that requires 11 that you could then try out. Three more weapons require 14 str, so if you find one of them and go "man this looks sweet as poo poo", you don't have to spend much to go for those as well. Nobody is asking you to immediately go 18 Str to check out the Stake Driver.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 30, 2022

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

White Coke posted:

When Nat was talking about the rally mechanic while fighting giants it looked like he was just standing in front of them trading blows trying to make a point about the futility of aggression, but that is not the kind of aggression anyone is advocating for.

Yeah, I agree, just trying to find a good way to define what everyone means when they say "be aggressive". Less "go berserker" and more "just keep fighting and dodging normally and the game will forgive you some of your lost HP, you can wait until the next hit before you really have to heal".

AtomikKrab posted:

It does allow to you succeed with really your pick of the builds, but Nat is not even trying out things and then complains. Nat is even doing farming runs which are a perfect place to try out some different toys for beast killin.

Exactly, despite being famed for being difficult, the From games are kinda forgiving in that you can still do just fine without min/maxing your stats. Putting a few points into a non-core stat to experiment with different gear might seem like a permanent mistake, but in the end player skill trumps all - which is, I think, why a lot of the combat is so satisfying.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Btw if you don't roll through all those pots in that room, you're a psycho imo

Should have switched this comment and my "this is not what aggro means" on YT oh well

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh yeah, rolling through pots and barrels is the true thread that holds the soulsborne series together.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I have never played one of these games before but stubbornly optimizing for one thing (a skill cane build) instead of keeping your options open during a semi-blind first playthrough isn't the prudent thing to do. You lack the necessary information to know what is or isn't worth fully committing your resources to, after all.

Like, If I want to make an optimized character on my own, I'm going to throughly research the character options and game mechanics first. Otherwise, I'm going to either play a balanced character that can be taken in any direction in the late game or (yuck) straight up copypaste someone else's build.

This especially holds if you don't trust the designers to have balanced all the options. Just because a build seems viable in the early game doesn't mean it'll be viable to beat the endboss with. Given your experience so far, Nat, do you trust the From Soft team to make the skill cane build worth it in the end?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

I have never played one of these games before but stubbornly optimizing for one thing (a skill cane build) instead of keeping your options open during a semi-blind first playthrough isn't the prudent thing to do. You lack the necessary information to know what is or isn't worth fully committing your resources to, after all.

Like, If I want to make an optimized character on my own, I'm going to throughly research the character options and game mechanics first. Otherwise, I'm going to either play a balanced character that can be taken in any direction in the late game or (yuck) straight up copypaste someone else's build.

This especially holds if you don't trust the designers to have balanced all the options. Just because a build seems viable in the early game doesn't mean it'll be viable to beat the endboss with. Given your experience so far, Nat, do you trust the From Soft team to make the skill cane build worth it in the end?

One thing about Fromsoft games in general is that you don't NEED to upgrade any weapons, you can generally beat the game using starting gear if you have the skill

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Exactly, despite being famed for being difficult, the From games are kinda forgiving in that you can still do just fine without min/maxing your stats. Putting a few points into a non-core stat to experiment with different gear might seem like a permanent mistake, but in the end player skill trumps all - which is, I think, why a lot of the combat is so satisfying.

As with all From games, soft caps and the fact most weapons have at least some scaling off both strength and in this case skill (usually dexterity in other From games) means that a "quality" (eg. you keep up both strength and skill, focused on one a bit more over the other until you hit the soft cap for it) build is perfectly acceptable and where you inevitably end up anyways by the level you're generally at by the end of the game as long as you notice that the soft cap where the benefits from each added point to a stat drop off a cliff exists.

I would agree that the lack of easy respeccing is frustrating and, like the blood vial farming, a deeply questionable decision that they should have known better by now since they had already done the estus system to good effect in two other games. Heck, DS2 had estus *and* the farmable healing items in the form of life gems. They had also realized respecs should be accessible in DS2 but backpedaled in Bloodborne (my memory is admittedly vague here. I'm not sure bloodborne even had a respec at all) and then made them accessible again in DS3 and Elden Ring. From is really weird about what lessons they actually seem to learn from previous games (probably due to their issues with high levels of employee churn, resulting in less retained knowledge).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bloodborne and DS2 were developed concurrently by separate teams. They took what worked from both and made their most accessible game to that point with DS3, then made it even more accessible with Elden Ring. They are absolutely learning lessons, their development process just wasn't as linear as release order suggests.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Ds3 had a Respec system?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

hazardousmouse posted:

Ds3 had a Respec system?

Sure did. Five times per playthrough but they never patched a bug that allows you to do it infinitely often

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

Sure did. Five times per playthrough but they never patched a bug that allows you to do it infinitely often

What bug is that? Not that I really respecced a character more than twice but I'd love to know it

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Guillermus posted:

What bug is that? Not that I really respecced a character more than twice but I'd love to know it
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2174940134

I've never performed it myself, but it seems to be as easy as Alt+F4 before the final confirmation

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2174940134

I've never performed it myself, but it seems to be as easy as Alt+F4 before the final confirmation

Cheers ty! (gonna check if it works force closing on PS4 too)

Edit: yes it does, as the video says, just home button, close and respecs are still at 5.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 30, 2022

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Obligatum VII posted:

I would agree that the lack of easy respeccing is frustrating and, like the blood vial farming, a deeply questionable decision that they should have known better by now since they had already done the estus system to good effect in two other games. Heck, DS2 had estus *and* the farmable healing items in the form of life gems. They had also realized respecs should be accessible in DS2 but backpedaled in Bloodborne (my memory is admittedly vague here. I'm not sure bloodborne even had a respec at all) and then made them accessible again in DS3 and Elden Ring. From is really weird about what lessons they actually seem to learn from previous games (probably due to their issues with high levels of employee churn, resulting in less retained knowledge).

Huh, I was wondering about what other people thought about DS2's system. For all the game's flaws I think it's okay: most of the time you can rely on estus and the delay on lifegem healing stops them from being too overpowered. The reduced HP on hollowing and enemy extinction stuff can gently caress right off though, those were awful decisions.

Maybe they thought an estus equivalent would be too much given the rally system is a thing, but there's definitely a skill barrier before anyone hits that point, I think. And definitely agree that farming sucks, farming anything in any game is crap.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
The Rifle Spear scales primarily with Skill, but the gunshot scales with Bloodtinge; in other words it's basically both a melee weapon and a gun. Its best quality is that it can serve as a replacement for firearms, allowing you to either conserve upgrade materials, or use alternate, more gimmicky lefthand weapons such as the Flamesprayer, Hunter's Torch, etc. As most skill-only weapons are found in the Hunter's Nightmare (Fromsoft clearly realized how few skill-only weapons were in the base game when they made the DLC), it's probably your best alternate option if you don't plan on playing the DLC anytime soon, and want to try literally anything aside from the threaded cane. The one thing to be careful of is that the range on the rifle spear's shot is shorter than many other firearms, comparable to the Hunter's Blunderbuss, so you won't be able to parry from outside the enemy's range as often (though, you almost never do that anyway, so it won't change much for you).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I will say that it has been excruciating to watch switching weapon discussion knowing that I did switch weapon immediately after this recording.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I think that will have you appreciate that both the numbers and the animation sets are pretty important. Also the stagger you can inflict, but that's a straight up number so it's defeating my point.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Natural 20 posted:

I will say that it has been excruciating to watch switching weapon discussion knowing that I did switch weapon immediately after this recording.

Sure, you did NOW. Pay no attention to file timestamps...

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Look, at least Nat has a spear now... I mean one Nat will actually use.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab posted:

Look, at least Nat has a spear now... I mean one Nat will actually use.

I'm going to spoil something.

There's going to be another weapon.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm thinking of other skill weapons and I think I'll be happy, also the screaming and pain to get them will be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Rifle Spear is one of the few BB weapons where I'd say it's just fine. I know it has some fans, but I personally never found it very exciting. The biggest thing it has going for it, aside from the "has gun" part (you know what else has a gun? Your left hand), is the R2 charge, which covers a lot of distance, deals a fuckload of damage, and has good stagger. And to confirm, it's a physical damage only weapon, and that part scales only with the physical stats, as is true for every weapon. ONLY the gun part scales with BT. iirc it used to actually be bugged in that it would apply damage from your gems and/or weapon buffs incorrectly to the bullets, so you could go into PvP and just shotgun people dead from full health, but they patched it at some point, now if you want extra shotgun damage, you're going to have to slot Bloodtinge gems, and it's never going to be good, while also leaving your physical damage in the dust. Eh!

As for the good Vicar, excellent job. I had a lot more trouble with her the first time around for sure!

Like every big beast boss, you can't parry her. You can break her limbs, which you did, again making you do extra damage on that spot. If you break the head - which is especially easy with a weapon that hits high up, like the whip - it staggers her, opening her up for a visceral. That ended the fight, basically, especially because the broken head then took more damage. Her big trick except for a lot of varied combos and the prayer-shockwave is her healing; you can just outdamage her (particularly with a +6 weapon, which is slightly overtuned at this point but your reward for exploring, eh, eh?), or throw the conveniently placed NO HEALING item.

Speedrunners do her with a specific rhythm of just going from limb to limb, letting stamina regenerate as they stroll from fore- to backleg, breaking each in turn so that she literally doesn't get to do anything. It's a sight to behold.