Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rinkles posted:

that's way more expensive than the deck, right? or does it work out differently down under?

2k aud - still significantly less than you'd pay for a "good" gaming PC (3070 down here is like $900 if you can get one).

idk, I just don't see a steam deck being available for a few years at least.

e: or maybe I should go for the OneXplayer - it's also available now, anyone tried this?

tithin fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

tithin posted:

Thinking of buying an ayaneo next because they're available in australia from the end of next month - anyone got one and able to talk about if they're any good or not? watched a few performance videos on youtube and it looks like the ayaneo has a better cpu, but the deck's got a better gpu and performs better?

Wait for the Ayaneo 2. It should perform a little better than the deck.

tithin posted:

2k aud - still significantly less than you'd pay for a "good" gaming PC (3070 down here is like $900 if you can get one).

idk, I just don't see a steam deck being available for a few years at least.

e: or maybe I should go for the OneXplayer - it's also available now, anyone tried this?

If the choice is between one of these handhelds and a gaming PC, then look at the last page of the PC Building Megathread in which an aussie decides not to build a PC and asks for advice on buying a prebuilt. We found some good prebuilts for around $1500 - $1900 AUD (the $1900 one had a 3080).

Also GPUs are available there now and the 3070 costs less than that. You can just go to any online retailer and buy one for like $750 AUD. Which isn't an amazing price, but still. You can in fact put together a very good gaming PC for less than $2k AUD. And a good gaming PC will be an order of magnitude more performant than a steam deck.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Protocol7 posted:

I filled up all 256gb + 512gb on my Deck and all I play is Vampire Survivors

Same, it’s really good

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Wait for the Ayaneo 2. It should perform a little better than the deck.

If the choice is between one of these handhelds and a gaming PC, then look at the last page of the PC Building Megathread in which an aussie decides not to build a PC and asks for advice on buying a prebuilt. We found some good prebuilts for around $1500 - $1900 AUD (the $1900 one had a 3080).

Also GPUs are available there now and the 3070 costs less than that. You can just go to any online retailer and buy one for like $750 AUD. Which isn't an amazing price, but still. You can in fact put together a very good gaming PC for less than $2k AUD. And a good gaming PC will be an order of magnitude more performant than a steam deck.

Nah - got a gaming PC already but use it less than I'd like between work and travel and I reflected in the past that portables are generally where I game when I've got the opportunity - it's why I'm so interested in the steam deck - I just do not see it hitting our shores any time soon unfortunately.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

tithin posted:

Thinking of buying an ayaneo next because they're available in australia from the end of next month - anyone got one and able to talk about if they're any good or not? watched a few performance videos on youtube and it looks like the ayaneo has a better cpu, but the deck's got a better gpu and performs better?
My only complaint about the neo is the sticks kinda suck bad, if that’s not something that would bother you, it performs about as well as the deck.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

tithin posted:

Nah - got a gaming PC already but use it less than I'd like between work and travel and I reflected in the past that portables are generally where I game when I've got the opportunity - it's why I'm so interested in the steam deck - I just do not see it hitting our shores any time soon unfortunately.

I think it'll probably happen sooner than you think (end of the year or sometime next year maybe), but yeah, I still say wait for the Ayaneo 2 in that case. It will have a 6800U processor, which should outdo the steam deck in every way.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

XIV Launcher requires the game on the internal memory. This is the only edge case I can imagine where 64 GB doesn't cut it.

Freddles
Feb 5, 2009
Is anyone else having connection problems with controllers? I set up a Nintendo Switch controller, but it regularly drops connection. Worse, every once in a while when it reconnects the button layout is (as far as I can tell) completely randomised, and certain functions (like bringing up the steam menu) just stop working.

Is this a problem with the Switch controller specifically? Should I get an Xbox controller instead?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I thought the ifixit teardowns showed that battery replacement is a pita

Tiny Timbs posted:

"This doesn't seem so bad, what's the big pro-"

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Steam+Deck+Battery+Replacement/149070

wtf Valve

*Ahem*:

Atomizer posted:

Ursine pretty much covered it, but yes, basically any Li-chemistry secondary cells have those charge characteristics. It's not great to have the Switch plugged in 24/7, but if you only use it in console mode then it's not a big deal in terms of battery life. It'd be nice if you could set a max charge point in software (which is possible but maddeningly, few devices implement it) but the consolation is that, it isn't too difficult to replace the battery when you decide you need to do so. (If anything the battery swelling up is more of an issue.)

Switch != Dreck, friends.

I'm not sure if reading comprehension is the issue or if you guys all think the Switch is as difficult to service as the Dreck, but it's not; the Switch requires a bunch of screws to get in there (referring to the original Switch) but it's more tedious than difficult. Obviously this is the Dreck thread, but I was replying to a comment specifically asking about the Switch, and the rest of you make a lot of references to the Switch in this thread anyway.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

How does the emu thing work if playing switch games that utilize joycon features?

Like having to find a hidden moon in mario odyssey when the controller vibrates more the closer you get, or aiming weapons with motion control, or doing the labyrinth board game style puzzle in botw that uses the gyro?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

The steam deck has a gyro sensor that can be used for motion controls. Haven't verified myself, but an emudeck installation of Yuzu includes support for it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

in either case with the batteries, we better find a better method than lithium ion instead, both because computer power usage is easily outscaling viability of battery storage to size ratios and we're going to start to feel the belt tightening on available lithium by as soon as 2026 or 2027

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yep well, thats just illustrative of why its known as "steam dreck" in many corners of the interwebs. the redditors are having a feild day with this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Stux posted:

yep well, thats just illustrative of why its known as "steam dreck" in many corners of the interwebs. the redditors are having a feild day with this.

Are the typos fundamental to the joke, I wonder? Like does typing 'feild' and not bothering with capitals make it more hilarious? Ruddha used to do that, I recall, they were funny.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m pretty sure every gimmick left on SA is just copying an older more successful bit.

Like a ghost from the past

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Disappointing Pie posted:

How y’all feel about screen protectors? Have most people been putting one on?

Just put on an AmFilm last night. It obviously does add some reflection to the 512gb screen but I’m hoping it’s still less than usual.

Atomizer posted:

*Ahem*:

Switch != Dreck, friends.

I'm not sure if reading comprehension is the issue or if you guys all think the Switch is as difficult to service as the Dreck, but it's not; the Switch requires a bunch of screws to get in there (referring to the original Switch) but it's more tedious than difficult. Obviously this is the Dreck thread, but I was replying to a comment specifically asking about the Switch, and the rest of you make a lot of references to the Switch in this thread anyway.

I don’t care. I just saw someone saying the Deck battery was a pain to service so I looked it up and shared.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

What would the symptoms of a fake SD card be? Whenever I download something to it my downloads keep dropping to 0 and last night I tried to move mass effect to it from internal storage and it errored out after a time. At the time I just thought it was because I was trying to move over 100 gigs so I deleted it, started downloading it again to my SD and it’s been going for about 12 hours.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I bought vampire survivor and this was a bad idea for my general productivity

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
I have had the steam deck for over a month but my PSVita is still my go to portable gaming device. Steam deck is only good in docked mode.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Defenistrator posted:

I have had the steam deck for over a month but my PSVita is still my go to portable gaming device. Steam deck is only good in docked mode.

Can you elaborate on what you're not liking about the Deck handheld? I've never even seen a PSVita I don't think, I'm not trying to be a dick, I really don't know what's so good about one.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

HopperUK posted:

Can you elaborate on what you're not liking about the Deck handheld? I've never even seen a PSVita I don't think, I'm not trying to be a dick, I really don't know what's so good about one.

The Vita has a really nice form factor and an OLED screen, along with an enormous PS backcatalogue. That said, I'm confused too. I loved the Vita, and the Deck is hitting a lot of the same notes for me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you're happier with the vita then you're just not playing games made after like 2014? in which case why did you get a deck in the first place. just get an anbernic and throw some emulators on there if that's all you cared about

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Defenistrator posted:

I wish I could find a PS TV hardware somewhere for cheap...I never had the chance for one and would have preferred that over the PSVita, where I thought it was hard to see minute details

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wish I could find a PS TV hardware somewhere for cheap...

oh my dude…I recycled one two weeks ago that sat new in box for years. I’ll see if the place still has it to buy back and if so you can have it for shipping cost (from Canada)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Why on earth would you recycle one, they sell for several hundred dollars.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah whatever you do don't look at ebay

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Opopanax posted:

Yeah whatever you do don't look at ebay

I think this guy already has that on lock

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

HopperUK posted:

I'm a little bewildered by that post too. The Vita is excellent for PS1/PSP/Vita games, it's decent for emulating systems up through the 16-bit era... but if you want to emulate anything more recent, or if you want to play anything at all from a Steam game library/backlog you've been building for the last decade or two, it ain't gonna do anything for you. I'd argue the Deck is also better for Remote Play streaming from a PS4/PS5 - the Vita has no clickable thumbsticks and no triggers (and has to simulate them with a lousy touchpad on the rear), has mediocre wifi, and the screen can only do a max of 576p.

Vita's a great little device but if you're reaction to the Steam Deck is "meh, I've already got a Vita"... then I'm not really sure what attracted you to the Deck in the first place, it's for a completely different set of games you can't do on the Vita

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 30, 2022

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Why did I wait until the 24th to preorder?! Stupid, stupid, stupid! *Starts banging head with heaviest portable console available, staying conscious because it is merely a Switch*

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
vita does disgaea 1-4, deck does disgaea 1-6 (except 3), it's clearly the better machine :v:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I have still never seen a PS Vita irl.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Heran Bago posted:

I have still never seen a PS Vita irl.

You missed out, that was a kickass handheld.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

there’s a dude on Twitter who still ports games to Vita and I’m pretty sure he’s made more games for the console than Sony ever did

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I gave the Vita an honest try but Sony really handicapped that thing with its controls

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

The vita was a great PSX handheld. Also P4G.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

dreffen posted:

The vita was a great PSX handheld. Also P4G.

Plus Ys and a selection of great indies for the time.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Love the Vita, especially the OLED model. That thing was so ahead of its time. PS4 Remote Play still amazes me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Do y’all put your ROMs on internal storage or on your SD card?

I got a lot of loving games okay

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Both. Whichever ones I think I'd want more often on internal, or ones small enough that I don't give a gently caress, and then I symlink to a sd directory for ones I don't mind not being on hand if I switch cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

there’s a dude on Twitter who still ports games to Vita and I’m pretty sure he’s made more games for the console than Sony ever did
Is he just building better emulators or what? I’m confused at what this guy does.