Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m thinking about getting a Lamy 2000. If I like a kaweco medium, should I get a medium or a fine nib?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m thinking about getting a Lamy 2000. If I like a kaweco medium, should I get a medium or a fine nib?

Fine looks like it's a better match to me :v:

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I AM GRANDO posted:

I've got a Lamy 2000 and a Kaweco Sport both with medium nibs and made a little comparison:

They seem really close to me; the Lamy might have a hair larger line width. Hope this helps!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thank you both! Your advice is very helpful.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

I ordered two Safaris from Goulet on Monday. Today/Thursday at 6:34am I get an email saying sorry we don’t have aquamarine, here’s a refund for that and we’ll ship out the rest of your order. At 11:11am I get an email saying aquamarine is back in stock.

The aristocrats.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Same Great Paste posted:

I ordered two Safaris from Goulet on Monday. Today/Thursday at 6:34am I get an email saying sorry we don’t have aquamarine, here’s a refund for that and we’ll ship out the rest of your order. At 11:11am I get an email saying aquamarine is back in stock.

The aristocrats.

If you end up ordering it again, I hope they comp you for shipping

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Same Great Paste posted:

The aristocrats.

You can just mail / call them?

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

so it seems Sailor Pro Gears are reaching an all-time price low on amazon? there's a few $50 listings

nvm it's Shikioris. some PGSs are down to $65-$80 so it's still pretty crazy

Ramie fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 22, 2022

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

i need to stop reading this thread when i have literally no money to spend on pens.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I am immune to this one, I have a sailor and don't really like it. Now if they were fancy pilot pens however...

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just used organic studio nitrogen for my first non-cartridge writing experience and it is both wonderful and terrible. I should have read about it before choosing that one. It’s on my kitchen counters somehow.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I AM GRANDO posted:

I just used organic studio nitrogen for my first non-cartridge writing experience and it is both wonderful and terrible. I should have read about it before choosing that one. It’s on my kitchen counters somehow.

Oh honey, it's not just on your kitchen counters now.

It's everywhere.

It's the glitter of pen ink.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

I AM GRANDO posted:

now try some bay state blue, really round out the "it gets everywhere" experience

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I AM GRANDO posted:

I seriously tempted fate and inked up pens with all the Organics Studio I own. I wound up with a blob of ink on my forehead.

But look at that sheeeeeen.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It looks good on the page. Just not anywhere else.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have famously complained about how Organics Studios inks are bad, actually

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s not made by a nazi or a weird racist, so it’s better than some inks.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Went nice and classy for this month's Delta:

A Delta Prestige in guilloche-etched, solid sterling silver, with gold plated hardware and an 18k nib.

CLASSY

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Huh, anyone know what diamine "chameleon" inks are? Looks like they're in the 2022 inkvent calendar

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Same Great Paste posted:

After trying to understand by going back and forth between all of EF, F, M, and B for a few days the thing that really stands out to me is the physical feedback differences. Gun to my head I still can’t reliably see a difference between the smaller three (broad is certainly broad). I can certainly feel EF drag, F slightly less, M seems neutral-ish, and B glides.

Just-posting in case the tactile feedback would surprise any other beginners.

This will also be very different between manufacturers. Sailor nibs all have more "pencil-like" feedback, even mine that have been re-ground into different shapes by a nibmeister. Pilot nibs are generally super smooth, even at finer sizes.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Xun posted:

Has anyone heard anything from musubi? There haven't been any updates posted for awhile and I still want those notebook covers :ohdear:

Company update just dropped, though it sounds like the covers won't be coming for a while yet: https://musu.bi/stories/2022-07-were-back

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just bought a pilot custom 823 and it’s great except that periodically the ink flow dies up and I can’t get it going again except by fiddling with the knob at the top and turning it over aimlessly in my hands. There seem to be a bunch of different explanations for what’s wrong and how to fix it, but after I saw one that said to “prime” the pen by pulling the piston all the way back and then down after filling the pen (ie something that would just empty all the ink out), I thought I’d just ask here. Is there an answer for why this happens and what I can do about it? The pen writes beautifully with a fantastic flow like 85% of the time, even with my quick writing pace.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Are you leaving the piston slightly unscrewed when you write?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I am unscrewing it all the way, as in until it spins freely. I haven’t tried pulling the plunger up by a very small amount though—I’m going to try that next time.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Friendly reminder (I've seen the brand brought up a bunch in the last few pages, and I have a few bottles myself) to not buy Noodlers anymore. The creator is a psycho alt right racist.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

404notfound posted:

Company update just dropped, though it sounds like the covers won't be coming for a while yet: https://musu.bi/stories/2022-07-were-back

yaaay! Any news is good news on my end :v:

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

LionArcher posted:

Friendly reminder (I've seen the brand brought up a bunch in the last few pages, and I have a few bottles myself) to not buy Noodlers anymore. The creator is a psycho alt right racist.

Oh! Thanks for the info, I didn't know. I was vaguely aware of that whole ink names debacle? I had thought that got cleared up though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Cleared up in the "my business partners want to drop me so I will loudly call attention to my stubbornness and concede by changing the name while admitting no regret in my actions" sense

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It wasn't a completely terrible apology, but honestly, I would prefer to buy my hobby inks from someone who doesn't have to apologize for doing an anti-Semitism and then loudly producing Censor Red ink when called out on it.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I mentioned it at the time but even the name changes stunk as a overreacting tantrum. Ah yes. The famously controversial name of....ottoman rose :geno:

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Looked more into it and uhhh.... drat okay that went harder than I thought. Should have paid more attention to it. Agree with the sentiment that it felt like a non-apology and a weird overcorrect on those names of the other inks.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's the sort of thing where they let you know that no, it wasn't a one-off huge whoopsie but instead a pattern of behavior.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Always nice to see this thread active and many pics of new inks and pens.
Oh, half is Noodlers chat. Can we just agree not to buy his inks any more and leave it at that?

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
My Dad dropped off his Platinum Curidas with me, since he didn't really enjoy it as much as his VP and Majohn A1. Inked it with Diamine Iris he also bought for me to commemorate the birth of my daughter, also named Iris. I rather enjoy the very fine nib, though the pen is very over-engineered.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
It kills me how hard it is to get a waterfast red. Is it something chemically about the dyes available that make red that makes them so water soluble?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Which ones have you tried? For something that's waterproof, you'll want either a pigment-based or iron gall ink. Something like Platinum's Pigment Rose Red or DeAtrimentis Document Red would do the trick.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How are substitutes for Bay State Blue going these days? I guess I would add a replacement for Burma Road Brown. I don't think I'd need to find an alternative for either for a long time. I go through ink very slowly, but if something else is hitting that saturation without as much mess, then I think I'd just switch now.

I guess I'm not surprised the Noodler's guy went full mask off but I am disappointed. I got one of their ebonite pens as a last shot at seeing if their own pens can handle their own ink, and ... well yes they can apparently.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

I tried Robert Oster Fire and Ice in a Safari with converter and could not make it work at all. Just scribbling the ink would make maybe half inch lines and then stop until a pick up and joggle. I have no idea what went wrong. Things I know for sure I’d previously used the same safari and converter with a different ink and it was great. Then I rinsed out the same pen and just a cartridge works great. Still have 30 samples to get through so I’m not fussed about making this one work.

Posting to get perspective. Is this common? I’ve done four converter loads of three different inks so far and this is the only hitch I’ve seen. I recall at least one recent conversation here about trying to dilute a trouble ink. I assume it’s usually all plug and play, no?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Chip McFuck posted:

Which ones have you tried? For something that's waterproof, you'll want either a pigment-based or iron gall ink. Something like Platinum's Pigment Rose Red or DeAtrimentis Document Red would do the trick.
Just window shopping right now. I have half a bottle of PR Fiesta Red I'm still working through. The DeAtrimentis Doc Red, or the Doc Dark Red, was one I was looking at though. Glad to hear it's recommended!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nitrogen update: it’s on the bottoms of my feet. I wear socks indoors 90% of the time.