Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

She had probably been drinking and needed to run away to sober up, even though she had right of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

lil poopendorfer posted:

Reader submitted:

I love that they handwave that she fled the loving scene, whether she knew she was guilty or not of causing it, but bloviate about the bikes.

Also, yeah, bikes blowing reds can be a problem but he started from stop, so I can only imagine how fast she was going that he didn’t see her beforehand.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A not insignificant subset of drivers seem to think that another party being in the wrong gives them a license to murder, it’s some bizarre poo poo.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A not insignificant subset of drivers seem to think that another party being in the wrong gives them a license to murder, it’s some bizarre poo poo.

in Texas if the car doesn't finish the job it's tradition to pick up where you left off using guns

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

There's a city park down the road from me that usually has little league games right around the time I like to go on bike rides. This is when I get to see my favorite driving maneuver.

1.) A car pulls up behind me as we approach the park on a curved road.
2.) The car gets impatient and passes me even though they can't see oncoming traffic well. Sometimes oncoming traffic has to stop to avoid a collision.
3.) As soon as the car passes me they turn on their left turn signal and slow down to turn into the park.
4.) The car stops and waits to turn into the park due to oncoming traffic. I have to stop and wait behind the car that just passed me and almost ran someone off the road.

This poo poo happens all the time. People perform unsafe passes just to hurry up and wait in traffic.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i love when someone goes roaring by me, frequently performing an unsafe pass (i.e. accelerating before the lane change has been completed and risking a collision) and then i pull up next to them at a red light. good job!

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

i love when someone goes roaring by me, frequently performing an unsafe pass (i.e. accelerating before the lane change has been completed and risking a collision) and then i pull up next to them at a red light. good job!

My favorite is when someone does this, drives like a maniac to pass me in the slow lane then once they're in front of me immediately slams on their brake to make the next right turn at an intersection.

Like -- what did you gain by driving unsafely to get past me just to turn 2 seconds later? Idgi

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Drivers will really hold onto that memory of the one time a cyclist did something wrong, while erasing the countless times they almost died from a vehicular collision.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Y'all ever see a car and think "drat, I hate that?"
Yes. Usually when I see a giant SUV or modified truck (lifted, wider wheels, those hub caps that stick out to mow down pedestrians like a medieval chariot). Whenever I see a normal sized truck, I do a double take. Like, wow, an actual truck for work.

Luckily the cyclist wore a helmet during this hit-and-run /jokes.

She ran a red light while running over a cyclist. Who cares if she resigns. She should be in jail.

lil poopendorfer posted:

Reader submitted:
This is some demonic typical car brain. Belief that other person doing something wrong gives driver a license to kill. Check. Car brain completely reinterpreting reality to fit beliefs. Check. Video shows a red for the car and yellow for the bicyclist.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There are many crimes where the appropriate punishment is summary execution by passers-by.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
how is that lady not in jail for abandoning the scene and not calling for help jesus christ

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go
she didn’t even slow down what the gently caress

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mortons stork posted:

how is that lady not in jail for abandoning the scene and not calling for help jesus christ

legally speaking, the instant your body makes contact with a bicycle you are given the death penalty for obstructing SUV traffic

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

getting nam flashbacks from the time my vehicle was almost traumatically hit by a bike lol

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Downstairs neighbor is the stereotypical woke lib rebelling against rich conservative parents, has two cars street parked outside, insist on driving everywhere, such as to the grocery store 0.1 miles away, and refuses to take the metro because its 'scary' (my wife and I take it every day for work, neither of us has a car).

Today she informed me I was privileged for being able to afford 100/month more than her in rent (my unit has central air/heating, hers doesnt).

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Wolfy posted:

getting nam flashbacks from the time my vehicle was almost traumatically hit by a bike lol

You know it probably is traumatic to almost kill someone. And if you have an opportunity to deal with the trauma by blaming it on the other guy...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

She ran a red light while running over a cyclist. Who cares if she resigns. She should be in jail.

This is some demonic typical car brain. Belief that other person doing something wrong gives driver a license to kill. Check. Car brain completely reinterpreting reality to fit beliefs. Check. Video shows a red for the car and yellow for the bicyclist.

Well she didn't run a red light, the cyclist did. She still deserves to be in jail for fleeing the scene of course.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I heard about how dangerous lake shore drive is for non-cars, but this picture really puts it into perspective jfc

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

actionjackson posted:

I heard about how dangerous lake shore drive is for non-cars, but this picture really puts it into perspective jfc

yeah Jean Baptiste Pont du Sable Lake Shore Drive is bad

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Cyclists should always run reds where safe to do because bicycles and pedestrians shouldn't have to obey road rules as they are not 2500kg killing machines capable of insanely unsafe speeds

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

withak posted:

There are many crimes where the appropriate punishment is summary execution by passers-by.

cycling appears to be the only crime where this actually happens though

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Drivers will really hold onto that memory of the one time a cyclist did something wrong, while erasing the countless times they almost died from a vehicular collision.

I can assure you that I remember all 5 of the times that I almost got into a 60+ mph wreck in the past 6 months

Favorite was the guy who passed a wide load truck while going over a hill and almost hit me head on. It owned.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

PittTheElder posted:

Well she didn't run a red light, the cyclist did. She still deserves to be in jail for fleeing the scene of course.

Oh weird. The video shows the yellow and red light as the same colour for me. Also, that was a short yellow light. 2 seconds.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Blockade posted:

Downstairs neighbor is the stereotypical woke lib rebelling against rich conservative parents, has two cars street parked outside, insist on driving everywhere, such as to the grocery store 0.1 miles away, and refuses to take the metro because its 'scary' (my wife and I take it every day for work, neither of us has a car).

Today she informed me I was privileged for being able to afford 100/month more than her in rent (my unit has central air/heating, hers doesnt).

this one person has two cars and they live alone? lmao

living car free lets you afford all sorts of poo poo. highly recommend

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Cyclists should always run reds where safe to do because bicycles and pedestrians shouldn't have to obey road rules as they are not 2500kg killing machines capable of insanely unsafe speeds

I internally believe this but I always stop to not give people a reason to cream me into a fine blood mist

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

El Pollo Blanco posted:

bicycles aren’t pedestrians and it’s really annoying to pedestrians when they cut through stop signs and reds, especially when other types of cars have stopped at these and you’re already walking across.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

What a cluster.

1. The grey car on the left parked on the crosswalk.

2. The bicyclist runs the light, passing all the stopped cars before getting hit.

3. The council woman looks like she's speeding, isn't paying attention, and doesn't stop.

4. The motorcycle that comes up behind the cars, cuts into oncoming traffic to skip the line.

5. The pile of broken glass in the intersection from a previous wreck.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Scuffy_1989 posted:

What a cluster.

1. The grey car on the left parked on the crosswalk.

2. The bicyclist runs the light, passing all the stopped cars before getting hit.

3. The council woman looks like she's speeding, isn't paying attention, and doesn't stop.

4. The motorcycle that comes up behind the cars, cuts into oncoming traffic to skip the line.

5. The pile of broken glass in the intersection from a previous wreck.

What do you call that act?

"America!"

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

El Pollo Blanco posted:

:hmmyes:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Cyclist should always assume that cars are out to murder them, red light or not.

Jaywalking is actually safer than using a crosswalk. The Jaywalker rightly assumes that cars are out to murder 'em and only crosses when they are certain it is safe. The credulous cross walk user gapes in disbelief as a car plows them over.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Idaho Stop should be national.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_stop

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Had to rent a car and drive 7 hours today and boy did it suck I hate cars so bad

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

actionjackson posted:

Chicago deserves better. although you could probably say that about a lot of things in chicago

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

actionjackson posted:

you have the lake shore paths immediately adjacent too it , why tf would any non-car go on the drive? There are two paths, one for pedestrians and one for cyclists. I don't even think pedestrians or cyclists are allowed on LSD tbh

of all the issues with Chicago, it's a decent city regarding not driving

lil poopendorfer has issued a correction as of 11:01 on Jul 31, 2022

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The only valid complaint against bicycles is "stay off my loving sidewalk, I'm walking heah!"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I didn't drive for like 2 years because my epilepsy wasn't under control yet. The minute I pulled out into mid day traffic on US-1 in South Florida after getting the medical thumbs up to drive I wished I could start having seizures on demand

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Mentally centering myself before I bike amongst the most hated of vehicles, the car.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

The only valid complaint against bicycles is "stay off my loving sidewalk, I'm walking heah!"

so many loving tourist groups on scooters and bikes on the sidewalk in downtown Chicago. you have wheels get off the drat sidewalk before the 8 of you run over some kid or grandma. I’m the only one who yells at them though cause I’m a New Yorker and can be mean in public unlike midwesterners

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

in addition to hating cars i also hate, trucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

wishing that there was a game were you played a bollard and your job was to raise in front of cars to stop them from entering a crossing when pedestrians had the right of way, which was always