Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

here comes the spoiler for the useless climate bill

"Schumer's wrestled Manchin down, he's got the pin - BAH GAWD THAT'S SINEMA OFF THE TOP ROPE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mediaphage posted:

lol gently caress off you thin-skinned millionaire. like a prettier elon musk, just need to put out a press release because the poors might be saying something mean

She's done more to help people than Musk. (music has a helped people, musk has helped destroy the environment faster.) (Not saying her private plane use is good either, but comparing her to musk is just below the belt).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i feel like if you have more than $5 million you're probably a net drain on society

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Slow News Day posted:

i feel like if you have more than $5 million you're probably a net drain on society

$5mil seems pretty high...

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Perry Mason Jar posted:

They're escaping into the oceans. They're going to live as the sea people of the new human race and wait out the crises on the surface.

a bunch of bucktooth parrot fish with hapsburg jaw

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

speng31b posted:

$5mil seems pretty high...

you could take from the biggest fish and make every household have 5 million+

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

you could take from the biggest fish and make every household have 5 million+

sounds good to me! where do I vote?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lpzie posted:

sounds good to me! where do I vote?

and will this vote be mattering today? i have lots of availability in the not-mattering section today

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
its cool guys its under control

https://twitter.com/thisisinsider/status/1552759826152931328

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Slow News Day posted:

I'd say somewhere between 20-10 mill for a cut off, but sure.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

i like how the other one is just stopped despite the wind

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Just Cause 5 looking sick

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

i like how the other one is just stopped despite the wind

they’re supposed to do that

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
:siren: Third body found in Lake Mead :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eNQnRbJHrk

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
the green parties: we want to shut down all nuclear reactors, for nature

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Maybe I'm just a dumb idiot but what are the chances that more solar energy means more energy that would have otherwise been reflected back into space being captured and released as waste heat from whatever it's powering and now being trapped in our little hell-bubble

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODmAgmK-xIA#t=1m46s

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dog Case posted:

Maybe I'm just a dumb idiot but what are the chances that more solar energy means more energy that would have otherwise been reflected back into space being captured and released as waste heat from whatever it's powering and now being trapped in our little hell-bubble

it's true, but even if you generate all power from solar it won't matter as much as a single coal plant, because it's co2 keeping that energy inside for way longer

5-meo-catte
Apr 23, 2012

caffeine
you're all that I wanted in a girl
you're all that I need in the world
As I sat in my garden, looking at green things, and looking at the blood from where I'd snagged myself on sharp metal oiling my AR-15, I thought

"Is this really what the end days of empire look like? Everything is so tranquil, here. And eerily quiet, compared to ten years ago".

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

what game are those screenshots from, looks sick

probably wait until it's on sale though, gotta get through that backlog ha ha ha

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so-FcHTWEIY

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

St. Louis was reclaimed by Poseidon and there was scarcely a peep about it outside local news

it's a start

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Almost all the heat that isn't trapped in topsoil or in water gets radiated out into space at night. I used to live in a mountain valley with zero soil (basically living on dry solid granite) and it would be sunny all day and like 40-50F in January but still get down to -20F to -30F at night. Oxygen and nitrogen don't hold heat at all, it just passes right through. Anyone who lives in a dry rocky desert is familiar with these temperature swings.

This is why everyone fixates on the greenhouse gases, altering this chemistry even a little bit really fucks with the whole equation. Even if we generated massive amounts of heat with cheap fusion and huge electrical transmission losses it wouldn't matter at all compared to the CO2 and methane.

We are so hosed lmao

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 21:33 on Jul 30, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lord of Pie posted:

it's a start

not a whole lot of fresh water on this map...

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Filthy Hans posted:

around the time I was born they were saying commercial fusion power was 2 decades away

when I turned 20 they were saying commercial fusion power was 2 decades away

now I'm over 40 and they're saying commercial fusion power is 4 decades away

This is why

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dog Case posted:

173,000,000,000,000,000 watts hit the earth and we convert
600,000,000,000 in solar farms so I wouldn't worry about it. Even if we got all our energy from solar it would still be only 0.01% of it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ikanreed posted:

This is why

Always wondered this. Why did they project that maximum effort would necessitate halving the budget at some random point. Why are these lines squiggly at all?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Microplastics posted:

Always wondered this. Why did they project that maximum effort would necessitate halving the budget at some random point. Why are these lines squiggly at all?

The underlying theory was "build research reactors to determine parameters of successful fusion" then use them for a while, then take the most successful designs and develop them.

The actual scientists are a relatively small portion of the cost of fusion research, which requires a lot of specialized heavy machinery to be custom produced because there's no economy of scale to exploit.

One of the smaller fusion projects I follow had to pay a tungsten forging company (of which there are not many) to get a larger casting press, because no one else has ever needed a solid flawless anode the same size as their project. It has literally never happened.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Microplastics posted:

Probably different construction phases, you need a lot of money to build a prototype, the less to operate it, then more to build the demonstration unit, and so on.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Source4Leko posted:

A few years ago in this thread someone posted a paper about how if you just continue the exponential growth of capitalism through the end of the 21st century you end up cooking us all to death just from waste heat from industrial processes, dont even need emissions. I might go looking for that paper later today.

There’s this blog post by Tom Murphy: https://dothemath.ucsd.edu/2011/07/galactic-scale-energy/, specifically the graph in the ‘thermodynamic limits’ section.

Edit:

err posted:

anyone recall the name of the peter watts' short story about climate refugees in seattle or something? i forget, but it was linked in here.

err, earlier posted:

The Last of the Redmond Billionaires by Peter Watts

https://www.patreon.com/posts/new-decameron-37158539

Short read. Add to the OP.

???

take_it_slow has issued a correction as of 23:19 on Jul 30, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
lanternflies are everywhere this year, it’s the first time I’m noticing them on the regular

garish things. it’s like a locust birthed from a Radeon box

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
they’re called fireflies

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
lanternflies are something different and they're bad, but kind of pretty so who's to say really

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

:3:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Harik posted:

?

That's not due to removed topsoil, that's the aquifer collapsing permanently. When they pump out the water the caves it used to be in are too unstable and crush down. Even if you stopped pumping water and evacuated the entire region it will never come back. Maybe there's more permiable formations that will be uplifted eventually and dissolution will create a new pool but that's on a geologic timescale.
oh

lol

thank you!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Microplastics posted:

the lines all slope down towards the end of the project. presumably all/most the r'n'd costs are done with and that's the budget for the skeleton crew tiding up loose ends or expected continuous administrative and operational costs to keep it running. I think the hump in the middle of the lines is that there was an expected finalization of one stage of the project and a brief defunding before being reorganized to the next stage

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Source4Leko posted:

Whether we can make fusion work is irrelevant because capitalism won't let it be adopted on a wide scale.

thats why it'll be china that gets it working lol

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Blast from Tonga’s Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha’apai volcano in January could eat away at ozone layer, warm Earth

quote:

In all, the plume shot approximately 146 billion kilograms of water into Earth’s stratosphere, an arid layer of the atmosphere that begins several miles above sea level, the authors report this month in Geophysical Research Letters. That’s equivalent to about 58,000 Olympic-size swimming pools, or about 10% of the entire water content of the stratosphere, Millán says.

Big volcanic eruptions often cool the climate, because the sulfur dioxide they release forms compounds that reflect incoming sunlight. But with so much water vapor flung aloft, the Tonga eruption could have a different impact. Water absorbs incoming energy from the Sun, making it a potent greenhouse gas. And the sulfur dioxide will dissipate in just a few years whereas the water will likely stick around for at least 5 years—and potentially longer Millán thinks.

That could make Earth warmer for years and accelerate the warming from greenhouse gasses, Toohey says. “We’ll kind of just jump forward by a few years.”
:vince:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

lol that's so hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

They're escaping into the oceans. They're going to live as the sea people of the new human race and wait out the crises on the surface.

lol. the USOs are going to evict them.

NOT IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD