Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Need Scotland to become independent and then EU again for that personally.

I am now supportive of Scottish independence, hi guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

look we already agreed you can only get mad about this if it's a briefcase full of cash

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Very generally speaking it's only becoming more difficult to get citizenship or a passport for another country, so definitely get them if you qualify for any and can afford it. Especially if you can get an EU one and you don't already have one, if not for yourself then for any kids, partner or other family members who might be able to benefit from it in the future.

Yeah I should have got one before my daughter was born, it's too late for her to get grandfathered in (or great-grandmothered in) now unfortunately.

Wasn't expecting Brexit at the time though

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Very generally speaking it's only becoming more difficult to get citizenship or a passport for another country, so definitely get them if you qualify for any and can afford it. Especially if you can get an EU one and you don't already have one, if not for yourself then for any kids, partner or other family members who might be able to benefit from it in the future.

UK citizenship is quite easy in the grand scheme of things. Some countries will flat out not naturalize you unless you have the relevant ancestry no matter how much money you have.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

UK citizenship is quite easy in the grand scheme of things. Some countries will flat out not naturalize you unless you have the relevant ancestry no matter how much money you have.

In the case of my American wife, the route to citizenship via marriage to me still costs ~£12,000 over five years. So, y'know, still quite a grand scheme of things.

Talking of which, just got back from the shittiest 'holiday' of my life in America, for various reasons starting with the airline losing our luggage (which still has not been found), various sorority-related shenanigans noone is going to care about, and then capping it off with us both getting COVID immediately before she was supposed to see her family for the first time in 4 years. Cue several days in DC where we were supposed to be sight-seeing, instead holed up in the B&B ordering food in, and 2020-lockdown-style family meetings where everyone meets in a park, masked, 6' or more apart. I've never been so glad to get back home.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Should've taken ivermectin you'd have been fine it works over there.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

In the case of my American wife, the route to citizenship via marriage to me still costs ~£12,000 over five years. So, y'know, still quite a grand scheme of things.

Well yes, I didn't say it was cheap. Most Asian countries won't naturalize you even if you were Jeff Bezos.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah they have a requirement of good moral character.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

sebzilla posted:

Yeah I should have got one before my daughter was born, it's too late for her to get grandfathered in (or great-grandmothered in) now unfortunately.

Wasn't expecting Brexit at the time though

She might still be entitled to a passport.

Irish Citizen Information posted:

you were born outside of Ireland and your parent (who was also born outside of Ireland) was an Irish citizen or entitled to be an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, then you are entitled to become an Irish citizen.

To claim Irish citizenship, you must have your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register, unless your parent was abroad in the public service at the time of your birth. If you are entitled to register, your Irish citizenship is effective from the date of registration – not from the date when you were born.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html#startcontent

Might be worth making inquiries.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

If having an Irish great-grandad does turn out to work then let me know, I might have a go myself. :P

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

feedmegin posted:

If having an Irish great-grandad does turn out to work then let me know, I might have a go myself. :P

Time travel is extremely dangerous.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Does the eligible parent have to have claimed citizenship themselves before their kids can or can it skip the generation?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Looks like the former, unfortunately. for great-grandchildren their relevant parent has to be in the registry before they were born:

(A = irish citizen who was born in ireland, but subsequent generations of their family weren't; D = their grandchild, born outside ireland)

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

kecske posted:

Does the eligible parent have to have claimed citizenship themselves before their kids can or can it skip the generation?

If the parent never claimed it then the grandparent can be used. It only goes back 2 generations so great grandparents can never be used.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

fatninja187 posted:

Echoing what others have said, i usually just lurk cause i don't feel i'd be contributing much to the conversation.

As for my own political journey, i guess i was always left wing but i never really payed much attention to politics until Corbyn popped up. It wasn't Corbs himself but more the hysterical reaction to him, i swear if the press had played it cool and just let the labour right do their stuff the Corbyn project would have been snuffed out quicker and quieter than it was. As it happened the endless "he's a communist anti semite who loves the IRA" stuff just made me go wtf and actually pay attention to the man just to see if what they were saying was true.

But more than that it was watching all of the "satirists" like Hislop, Iannucci, Boyle and the rest of the panel show posse either sit there with their mouths shut or join in on the monstering which just disgusted me. i don't have the vocabulary to truly describe my utter loathing for these people for what they did and it really just highlighted just how full of poo poo the BBC/ C4 actually are. (i always knew the tabloids were trash so i expected them to lie)

Not my channel and i don't know the guy but this video sums up my thoughts on the panel show scumbags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt6Z2v-NRyI&t=1s

As for Kieth Starmer he can just gently caress right off.

Yeah for the bolded part it was the same for me. It was the press and I think David Cameron and a load of other people talking about how "dangerous" Corbyn was that made my ears prick up and I distinctly remember thinking "If all those cunts are saying he's bad, he's probably alright". I think I'd already realised what a load of poo poo HIGNFY was at that point.

Anyway yeah, Complaints on a Plate is a very good lefty youtuber. I linked one of their vids here before about Labour antisemitism, in about 2018-19ish, but I think most people passed over it. You should check it out.

E: Funnily enough before I was "properly" left wing I had sort of figured out the labour theory of value on my own. In that I'd got to thinking "But what ultimately drives the cost of anything" and getting to "Well it's about providing for the workers, but then the resources for that also come from other workers" but I never followed through to get to the broader implications of that.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 30, 2022

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

feedmegin posted:

From the looks of it, probably not.

But it might be worth while going through the rest of your lineage (mother, father and both sets of grand parents) in case any of them had an Irish passport or other form of Irish citizenship.
You never know what might turn up.

kecske posted:

From my reading of it, no.
Since it says "you were born an Irish citizen" (which implies you have claimed citizenship) or "you were entitled to it."
Which reading the later after the former, would read that the citizenship hasn't been claimed (but could be claimed.)

Putting that to one side, if Seb is now an Irish citizen, his daughter would be surely able to draw her own line of citizenship to him, as opposed to any Irish grandparent/great grandparent as Seb had previously been using.

As I said, worth making inquiries about.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

The Question IRL posted:

From the looks of it, probably not.

But it might be worth while going through the rest of your lineage (mother, father and both sets of grand parents) in case any of them had an Irish passport or other form of Irish citizenship.
You never know what might turn up.

From my reading of it, no.
Since it says "you were born an Irish citizen" (which implies you have claimed citizenship) or "you were entitled to it."
Which reading the later after the former, would read that the citizenship hasn't been claimed (but could be claimed.)

Putting that to one side, if Seb is now an Irish citizen, his daughter would be surely able to draw her own line of citizenship to him, as opposed to any Irish grandparent/great grandparent as Seb had previously been using.

As I said, worth making inquiries about.

My understanding from what Seb said is they would be using a grandmother to get citizenship. If that's the link, then Seb's daughter would be not eligible as Seb's grandmother is her great grandmother and so not close enough. You can only skip one generation.

If I'm wrong and anyone ever gets it through a great grandparent I'd love to know. My great grandparents were Irish. Granny and mum both born in England. They're eligible but I'm not.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You could always just get a job in Ireland, and claim citizenship after 8 years or so full employment.
Worked with a lot of EU people who became dual irish citizens for working here for years.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sad Panda posted:

My understanding from what Seb said is they would be using a grandmother to get citizenship. If that's the link, then Seb's daughter would be not eligible as Seb's grandmother is her great grandmother and so not close enough. You can only skip one generation.

If I'm wrong and anyone ever gets it through a great grandparent I'd love to know. My great grandparents were Irish. Granny and mum both born in England. They're eligible but I'm not.

Could you not persuade your mum to apply and then get one via the child-of-a-citizen rule?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

just all accept your british

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Tesseraction posted:

Could you not persuade your mum to apply and then get one via the child-of-a-citizen rule?

Oh she's going to get it at some point but she (or my granny) needed citizenship when I was born. Getting it later doesn't allow someone currently alive (me) to now become eligible to apply.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

You could always just get a job in Ireland, and claim citizenship after 8 years or so full employment.
Worked with a lot of EU people who became dual irish citizens for working here for years.

5 years

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Tesseraction posted:

Wouldn't work, it's based on your relevant relative's status at the time you were born, so anything Panda's mum does now wouldn't transfer down.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

just all accept your british

My British what?

Anyway no, I'm Scottish.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New identities just dropped, bugfix for Edinburgh.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Checks out, Edinburgh is Anglish

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

My British what?

Anyway no, I'm Scottish.

still British pal.

sort yourself out though and help me get back to being european

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Sad Panda posted:

If Seb uses a grandparent then their daughter would be eligible if they were born after Seb got citizenship but not if they were already alive when citizenship was granted.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Guavanaut posted:

Southside of Glasgow being Britons absolutely checks out.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

FWIW the British citizenship requirements were a headache for me and my dad until he emailed the consulate (I think - some rep of HM’s Government) who sorted it out with an email.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Surprise T Rex posted:

My political stance on literally everything is borne of nothing but compassion and empathy and a desire for nobody in the world to ever struggle to survive and I literally cannot square that approach with right-wing political philosophy at all, and it rubs me right up the wrong way when people say it's just a difference of opinion.

I still have family and some friends across the political spectrum (although decreasingly so as I get leftier and older family members die off).

The right wingers I know tend to be empathetic, generous, kind and supportive to people they know, but anyone they don’t know personally is assumed to be lazy and grasping at best and actively malevolent at worst. Most of all, what they have in common is a strong reluctance to seeing things as systemic problems and a belief that leftists and liberals (whom they see as interchangeable - scratch a liberal and get a Stalin) want to take from people like them and give to strangers who won’t appreciate it and aren’t part of the same community.

They believe we want to do this to fulfil our sense of self importance, because they can’t understand why else anyone would voluntarily help strangers over family and friends.

I’ve found that if you can make a story out of it, they can come around to agreeing that one person or one family needs help and it’s right to eg pay more in taxes to help them. They don’t then extend that to “everyone in that position should get the same help” because they worry that this means there won’t be enough for them and the people they care about.

I don’t think they can be reasoned out of this because it’s not a rational belief system; it’s an emotive one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

People you haven't met can be whatever you imagine them to be, and it takes a small amount of effort to imagine that they are people just like you, rather than mere objects to reinforce whatever other imaginary things you like to dwell on, like the endless horde of barbarians lurking outside the boundaries of your perception who want to destroy and steal everything you love.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

OwlFancier posted:

People you haven't met can be whatever you imagine them to be, and it takes a small amount of effort to imagine that they are people just like you, rather than mere objects to reinforce whatever other imaginary things you like to dwell on, like the endless horde of barbarians lurking outside the boundaries of your perception who want to destroy and steal everything you love.

And yet every time people are asked to vote on the issue, the majority comes down on the side of “horde of faceless barbarians”. So how to change that? I mean I’d like to think our upcoming shared immiseration into poverty would help build solidarity but historically that’s mostly led people to close ranks even further.

Maybe if we get a famine or a war as well?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There probably isn't much you can do about it, I think that attitude is heavily borne from people who do not have any proper attachment to other people living in the real world, and who instead get their perception of the wider world from media they consume. And legacy media obviously loves that view of the world where it's full of ravening hordes just outside the gates. Combine that with the collapse of traditional working class social settings (thanks neoliberalism) and you see a further and further retreat into fantasy.

To a degree this is also true of new media, there are certainly plenty of outlets that cater to that and if you connect lots of people who already think that way they will generate their own reinforcement for that worldview as well, though I have a small amount of hope that the relatively lassiez faire approach of the internet at least allows for lefties to carve out a space and attract an audience in a fashion that I don't think was available in that window of time between the collapse of unions and anything resembling a "social" element in society combined with the dominance of legacy media outlets setting 100% of the conversation, and the current day.

I don't know, increased focus on unions and avowedly left wing presence in the media I think certainly helps too. But whether any of the avenues available can reach the necessary critical mass, I have no idea.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Guavanaut posted:

drat Scots! They ruined Scotland!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My wife's gran is Irish. If my wife was to get an Irish passport, and we've been married 10 years, could I get one?

WhatEvil posted:

E: Funnily enough before I was "properly" left wing I had sort of figured out the labour theory of value on my own. In that I'd got to thinking "But what ultimately drives the cost of anything" and getting to "Well it's about providing for the workers, but then the resources for that also come from other workers" but I never followed through to get to the broader implications of that.
It's really annoying when that happens. You have an idea, and it feels like a hell of a good one, and then you discover someone else wrote a pamphlet about it 70 years ago and is celebrated in academic circles and people write books about them, but you get nowt.

I know probably the only reason you have the idea is because you subconsciously pick up on cultural relics of their theory, but still. It's annoying.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Beefeater1980 posted:

I still have family and some friends across the political spectrum (although decreasingly so as I get leftier and older family members die off).

The right wingers I know tend to be empathetic, generous, kind and supportive to people they know, but anyone they don’t know personally is assumed to be lazy and grasping at best and actively malevolent at worst. Most of all, what they have in common is a strong reluctance to seeing things as systemic problems and a belief that leftists and liberals (whom they see as interchangeable - scratch a liberal and get a Stalin) want to take from people like them and give to strangers who won’t appreciate it and aren’t part of the same community.

They believe we want to do this to fulfil our sense of self importance, because they can’t understand why else anyone would voluntarily help strangers over family and friends.

I’ve found that if you can make a story out of it, they can come around to agreeing that one person or one family needs help and it’s right to eg pay more in taxes to help them. They don’t then extend that to “everyone in that position should get the same help” because they worry that this means there won’t be enough for them and the people they care about.

I don’t think they can be reasoned out of this because it’s not a rational belief system; it’s an emotive one.

Really interesting to hear that, as I have the same experience.

My aunt and uncle are so generous and gracious with me and the rest of our family, hold large dinner parties for all their friends, are strong voices of leadership in a couple of healthcare & animal rights groups that they're part of...

But still say Brexit was a good thing, anyone who needs a foodbank hasn't prepared enough for rainy days, people just want to come to the UK to sponge off the state, etc.

They aren't even that political, like we can spend a weekend with them and have great conversations, but during say one meal one of them will come out with something mindblowingly entitled/selfish/cruel, and then we'll go back to pleasantries.

It would be so much easier if they were horrible across the board. Much harder when someone seems to have a lot of good in them, but then comes out with ridiculous rightwing talking points out of the blue. Their voices even sound different when they say this crap, it's clear they're parroting media talking points. So frustrating.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I found out a few months ago that my great grandfather was born in Dublin but apparently that's one step too far removedto get an Irish passport. Probably a little bad taste too given he was the son of a British soldier stationed there in the 1880s or so.

It was quite a cool find on ancestry actually as I found an incredibly distant relative on there who had photos of the family. Quite eerie.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

OwlFancier posted:

There probably isn't much you can do about it, I think that attitude is heavily borne from people who do not have any proper attachment to other people living in the real world, and who instead get their perception of the wider world from media they consume. And legacy media obviously loves that view of the world where it's full of ravening hordes just outside the gates. Combine that with the collapse of traditional working class social settings (thanks neoliberalism) and you see a further and further retreat into fantasy.

To a degree this is also true of new media, there are certainly plenty of outlets that cater to that and if you connect lots of people who already think that way they will generate their own reinforcement for that worldview as well, though I have a small amount of hope that the relatively lassiez faire approach of the internet at least allows for lefties to carve out a space and attract an audience in a fashion that I don't think was available in that window of time between the collapse of unions and anything resembling a "social" element in society combined with the dominance of legacy media outlets setting 100% of the conversation, and the current day.

I don't know, increased focus on unions and avowedly left wing presence in the media I think certainly helps too. But whether any of the avenues available can reach the necessary critical mass, I have no idea.

framing matters; it is normal for people to harbour contradictory political intuitions on individual desert and morality. Rhetorical innovations matter in a genuine sense of reshaping actually-existing dominant frames of thought - the Tories succeeded enormously on immigration by shifting the angle toward debates over quotas (where people systematically estimate unrealistically low figures) rather than standards (where people systematically estimate unrealistically accepting standards). We see this replayed over and over again, where one broadly popular intuition (e.g. "there should be a cap on the child tax credit") is fought with another (enforcing a "rape clause" to operationalize said cap seems abhorrent).

this is not to say that framing is the only thing - politicians continually fling novel or revived ideas at the wall to see what sticks, and sometimes they strike gold where polling would have suggested none previously (cough brexit cough), but of course it would not be sensible to bet the farm on such a success. Happily in the riotous chaos of liberal democracies, a society can try many things all at the same time without tying its mast to any particular one...?

what works elsewhere doesn't necessarily work in the UK. in the end, of all of the various Corbyn-period experiments, the one which paid off most for British audiences was to pitch "an NHS but for X". Other things which work well in e.g. France (where having a council of celebrity leftist intellectuals to underpin your programmatic seriousness seems to really work and gets extensive favourable media attention) were tried and fell flat

blaming The Mass Media is a standard post-1960s riff, but we can readily observe that a concept that somewhere the Other is getting rich at your expense, in cahoots with the Powers that Be is popular even in countries with state-controlled media and rigid censorship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find it helps to understand it as people doing things for people they know and like isn't really indicative of very much, because they are really doing it for themselves. It is easy to do things for people you know and like because that will likely pay rewards to you in turn and there is an emotional drive to do it, it is not a remarkable ability, it is very commonplace. To do things for people you don't know or to make the effort to humanise people is significantly more uncommon.