Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Roxxon probably has gotten mining rights for it and it's just a nub now.

All that marble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I wa sthinking of Guardians 2 when Ego was activating his seeds and some midwestern town just started getting eaten by the earth horrifically and like no one was around to explain why that happened.

RIGHT, god drat there are so many horror movies happening in the MCU that aren't being made cause the camera is on the superheroes.

I just saw Nope last night and it was so good, but insanely stressful and at times horrifying, and it made me think "jesus I wish they'd had like a Hulk or a Thor to handle this" because of how it felt like a horror scenario that could have appeared in the MCU.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'd be OK if a future marvel movie takes place near the dead celestial and it's just in the background and no one comments on it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They should replace the end credits teasers with fans who explain odd stuff in the previous films and Feige awards them a No-Prize.

My submission: Ant-Man has since shrunk the Celestial way down.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Tourism in the MCU must be its own thing. There’s that town in middle America that got blobbed. That place in Europe that got ripped into the sky. That town a witch possessed for a month. A random stone band coming out of the ocean is almost quaint in comparison. It’s probably talked about with the sphinx while that other stuff is like Nuremberg and Chernobyl.

I dunno, didn't people see the Celestial talking to them at the end, or was that a "Only the Eternals can see it" thing? I'd be freaked out of my gourd way more by an alien life form that size just casually appearing on earth.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I dunno, didn't people see the Celestial talking to them at the end, or was that a "Only the Eternals can see it" thing? I'd be freaked out of my gourd way more by an alien life form that size just casually appearing on earth.

Pretty sure the Celestial at the end was only in the Eternals' heads

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

No the people in the park saw the celestial. But it looked like a small group so most people would think they're just more crazies

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Lobok posted:

They should replace the end credits teasers with fans who explain odd stuff in the previous films and Feige awards them a No-Prize.

My submission: Ant-Man has since shrunk the Celestial way down.

It occurs to me: how do those shrink/grow pods know what to affect? Like how does it know "this is a car, only shrink whatever is in this car shaped space" instead of shrinking everything within, say, a 1 meter sphere? How would the pod shrink the Celestial and not just part of it, or a bunch of stuff around it? I know the answer is "comic books" and "Pym Particles" but I'm curious if it's ever been addressed anywhere

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Here, today you would, sure. But if you’d lived through green dudes wrecking Harlem, a Space Viking leading an alien invasion of New York, a mad AI destroying a European country, elves in space ships wrecking London, giant dudes pootling about San Fran, a purple dude with a ballsack chin dissolving you and/or a bunch of people you know for 5 fuckin’ years, and a load of elementals going mental in Europe, I’d imagine you’d look at some giant space dude showing up and think “eh, must be Tuesday.”

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Just have a scene of Earth from space and you can see the celestial on a corner, just a little easter egg
I'm a really big fan of the celestials visuals since it reminds me so much of xenoblade

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sentinel Red posted:

Here, today you would, sure. But if you’d lived through green dudes wrecking Harlem, a Space Viking leading an alien invasion of New York, a mad AI destroying a European country, elves in space ships wrecking London, giant dudes pootling about San Fran, a purple dude with a ballsack chin dissolving you and/or a bunch of people you know for 5 fuckin’ years, and a load of elementals going mental in Europe, I’d imagine you’d look at some giant space dude showing up and think “eh, must be Tuesday.”

A giant eyeball octopus monster was destroying New York City and Christine's husband was very excited about it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Calaveron posted:

I'd be OK if a future marvel movie takes place near the dead celestial and it's just in the background and no one comments on it

Clearly it'll be the MCU's version of Avengers Island/Avengers Mountain.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

Yvonmukluk posted:

I hope they do this

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yvonmukluk posted:

That would be cool. They can have the Quinjet's fly out of its fingers too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Whenever Secret Wars comes and the Earths are colliding, another Earth conveniently lands on top of the hand and the Celestial spins it like a basketball.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

TwoPair posted:

Whenever Secret Wars comes and the Earths are colliding, another Earth conveniently lands on top of the hand and the Celestial spins it like a basketball.

Please yes, with Harlem Globetrotters music playing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I took my kid to Super Pets and it's pretty good. Not the greatest animated movie of all time but pretty decent, definitely a kid's movie but it's pretty funny and was entertaining. Also Marc Maron plays Luthor which is hilarious in and of itself

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Lobok posted:

Edit: drive-in, not drive-thru. Don't worry, I sometimes hold up the line but never that badly

im honestly amazed nobody tried to do a Drive-thru Theater resurgence last year

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

I've been known to enjoy Dwayne occasionally, but even at his most hostile he's never had the kind of disgust-mixed-with-rage that I feel would be necessary from a Namor

Honestly, considering the synergy between superheroes and professional wrestling, it's kind of bizarre there are so few Samoan characters.

i understand and apologize for the slight thread derail my statement caused a few pages back :unsmith:

the character just reminded me of Namor in the trailer. That's all

edit:

Opopanax posted:

I took my kid to Super Pets and it's pretty good. Not the greatest animated movie of all time but pretty decent, definitely a kid's movie but it's pretty funny and was entertaining. Also Marc Maron plays Luthor which is hilarious in and of itself

i

what?:stare:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 2, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Right? I had to sneak my phone out and double check because there was no way I was right, and yet

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Close the gates...

To the kryptonian!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So Joker, who are your guys?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

im honestly amazed nobody tried to do a Drive-thru Theater resurgence last year
There were a lot more outdoor projection movie showings here during Covid, but I just don't think it was really feasible to build a drive-in theater that fast. It also probably would have died within a year or so since for the most part people are going back to theaters almost like normal.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

FlamingLiberal posted:

There were a lot more outdoor projection movie showings here during Covid, but I just don't think it was really feasible to build a drive-in theater that fast. It also probably would have died within a year or so since for the most part people are going back to theaters almost like normal.

To be honest, I think I just prefer the drive-in at this point. I'm probably in the minority, and obviously living in a part of Illinois where I hit miles of cornfields if I drive more than 20 minutes in a given direction helps with a drive-in theater actually still being a thing in my area. But honestly, it's just nice. It's cheaper, the concessions are better, my family can chat a little bit or make jokes about the movie, there's an intermission with every movie so we can pee without missing anything...maybe I've just finally turned into a hick, but honestly, it's just a more pleasant experience.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
My current city used to have a drive in theater on the edge of town, and for sure it was an experience. Usually it was a double feature with either two big summer blockbusters, or sometimes something older that was related to the newer movie.

Before the movie kids would run around and play in the grass in front of the screen, well in advance of the movie so they would usually be quiet by the time the movie came on. And if not, who cares, you just rolled up the windows and tuned the radio to the AM station that was broadcasting the audio.

Our drive in had a copy of the old "Let's all go to the lobby" intermission reels, with goofy 60's era animation. When the hot dog did a flip everyone would honk their horns (not a euphemism). And if you didn't want the typical hot dog, pop corn, soda, candy, etc., you just brought in whatever you wanted. And if it was some lovely McDonalds, that's fine, because all the stink is trapped in your car, not bugging the other patrons.

I do miss it, but the market was simply not there. Place was razed to the ground probably 10 years ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There was a bit of a drive-in resurgence early on, but just projecting onto existing structures because nobody was going to spend money on that.

Plus movies weren't being released so there's only so many people who wanted to leave their houses during a pandemic to watch a bad display of an old movie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lager posted:

To be honest, I think I just prefer the drive-in at this point. I'm probably in the minority, and obviously living in a part of Illinois where I hit miles of cornfields if I drive more than 20 minutes in a given direction helps with a drive-in theater actually still being a thing in my area. But honestly, it's just nice. It's cheaper, the concessions are better, my family can chat a little bit or make jokes about the movie, there's an intermission with every movie so we can pee without missing anything...maybe I've just finally turned into a hick, but honestly, it's just a more pleasant experience.

Yeah, agreed. We have one about twenty-ish minutes away that has amazing BBQ sandwiches and milkshakes. The experience is worth the heart disease.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, agreed. We have one about twenty-ish minutes away that has amazing BBQ sandwiches and milkshakes. The experience is worth the heart disease.

Work in institutional racism and that could be the new motto of America

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Going to the drive-in several times over the pandemic taught me that a lot of drivers really don't understand how their headlights work.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've never been to a drive-in, don't know if they ever really came to the UK. Also I don't have a car. Or know how to drive.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Veotax posted:

I've never been to a drive-in, don't know if they ever really came to the UK. Also I don't have a car. Or know how to drive.
Pretty sure it was almost entirely an American thing

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ther did a drive in screening of Godzilla vs Kong by my house when it premiered. Unfortunately the movie was like 3 hours long or something so I couldn't go with the kids.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pretty sure it was almost entirely an American thing

I know they were big in Australia for a while.

I just googled to confirm I was right about Australia and they actually still exist in Australia today, but only twelve are regularly open and operating in the whole country right now. At least two of them are run by volunteers/community groups that only open sporadically and aren't actual businesses.

They apparently also existed in Italy, Greece, Iran, the Philippines, and Germany for a while, but basically don't exist in any of those places for various reasons now.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Lobok posted:

Going to the drive-in several times over the pandemic taught me that a lot of drivers really don't understand how their headlights work.

Guaranteed this is largely a consequence of modern cars all just having an “auto” option that will dynamically change the lighting and so most people never even touch the headlight controls after buying a car.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cael posted:

Guaranteed this is largely a consequence of modern cars all just having an “auto” option that will dynamically change the lighting and so most people never even touch the headlight controls after buying a car.

Oh, 100%. Safer overall but it confuses people. The drive-in we were at had signs like if you don't know how to work your headlights please ask an attendant!

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Drive-In Movie Theaters are like Libraries for me in that their potential extinction turns me full conservative "It's a sacred American institution!" regardless of the fact that I don't use them.

Our Drive-In is finally closing so if there was a pandemic surge, it wasn't enough to save it (I only went once so it's my fault)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm angry we didn't get rid of drive-ins sooner.

They're the #2 most dangerous location for teens making out in cars to be killed by hook handed serial killers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We need a total shutdown on Lover's Lane sites nationwide

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Close Makeout Point? We can't do that, it's Homecoming weekend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

I'm angry we didn't get rid of drive-ins sooner.

They're the #2 most dangerous location for teens making out in cars to be killed by hook handed serial killers.

Statistics show that at least 6 attractive teens per year will be killed by nigh-invincible serial murderers and the government has done nothing!