Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
drat. If I had money I'd be asking someone to pick up a copy at GenCon (don't get disability till the 12th :()

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I thought about that too, but it’ll be commercially available soon enough. The kickstarter this fall will probably be my biggest money sink.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They'll probably be available as part of the next KS if you want to wait to get them.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Strobe posted:

Hey PTN I figure you would want to know that there are going to be Camachos Caballeros dice at GenCon, according to the announcement today.

I'm glad to see more support for Alpha Strike. As someone coming over from other tabletop war games, I see the value in a more streamlined rule set even if it's not as realistic and detailed a simulation. I also think that a format that encourages bringing larger forces will help Catalyst sell more models. And while I'm generally opposed to the army size bloat that many war games suffer from over time, Battletech has a long ways to go before it reaches a problematic level.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
There's just something neat about this comparison.

the Blockade Runner is 1:1000 so it's to scale

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think I need to go back to this one tomorrow. I really did not like how little coverage I got out of the yellow I used, and the red needs more coats then some of the other colors I used (though not as many as yellow, which I still need another coat or two). I shook the bottles quite a bit so either I need a mechanical shaker or just do it more. I was also hoping scorched metal might be darker, although its probably just that I didn't use it for the right effect I wanted. The metals from the reaper minis line seem to be quite a bit thicker than their regular stuff, not sure how much I like that... On the plus side, Rainy Gray was nice and easy and came out well, so did the purple (Nightshade purple is essentially black, and next time I use it I'm going to add some white to see if I can get a sort of "night camo" thing going on.) The Stone Wash has been the best of the bunch so far, though I did thin it more than the other washes I've tried so far. Blackened steel, by far, was the better of the paints, much like the olive green I put on. Easy to use and doubles as a means to scratch off paint and reveal the bare metal underneath.

Edit: Also I may have chickened out on using my still-in-the-packaging model master paintbrushes :blush:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yellow will never have good coverage over a black basecoat.

You'd probably want to put down a layer of white first.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yellow will never have good coverage over a black basecoat.

You'd probably want to put down a layer of white first.

I'll keep that in mind for next time

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Pro-tip: paint yellow over a pink undercoat, it covers way better

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

PoptartsNinja posted:

There's just something neat about this comparison.

the Blockade Runner is 1:1000 so it's to scale

I never realized Star Wars ships were that small compared to Battletech scale.

Mech scale always throws me off. Dropships in the HBS game must be off-scale, because they don't seem big enough compared to the mechs.

Also, I've got five people for my local August tourney signed up. :toot: Trying to get more via opening it to Alpha Strike and CBT in addition to clix. Will take pics and share when done.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
looks like catalyst cut ties with Pardoe. I havent seen much of his output except for Forever Faithful which was not very good. He had a big mad about the whole thing online.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Considering his latest fiction book is about how a left-wing "extremist" government takes over the USA and all the horrible things it does, I'm not so much bothered.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

SirFozzie posted:

Considering his latest fiction book is about how a left-wing "extremist" government takes over the USA and all the horrible things it does, I'm not so much bothered.

Yeah, that was in the same Genre as that Kid Rock song: "This is a quick joke on Saturday Night Live, but real and you meant it"

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

looks like catalyst cut ties with Pardoe. I havent seen much of his output except for Forever Faithful which was not very good. He had a big mad about the whole thing online.

The statement they made on the Battletech forums:

"Catalyst Game Labs recently suspended publishing new works by long-time BattleTech author Blaine Lee Pardoe, primarily due to Mr. Pardoe’s online activities which do not align with Catalyst’s publishing vision. This has nothing to do with Mr. Pardoe’s quality of work or ongoing sales, or (as reported elsewhere) his personal feud(s) with other fan(s) of the BattleTech brand. Mr. Pardoe has been instrumental to the BattleTech IP over the years, and we wish him well in his ongoing, professional career. This decision was made in consultation with Topps Entertainment, owners of the BattleTech intellectual property, but final determination was by Catalyst Game Labs."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Can't believe that they don't want to associate with a guy who wrote a book one handed about how gay people are going to force you to get mandatory abortions

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I never realized Star Wars ships were that small compared to Battletech scale.

I've got a 1:1000 Enterprise Refit on the way, too. I'd be willing to be that Fortress DropShip is a reasonable portion of its mass. :ssh:

That Titan isn't the biggest aerodyne DropShip I have, either. I just didn't have space on the shelf for the Taiho.

Edit:
Since BattleTech Mapscale is 1:1000 (1mm=1m), at mapscale the Argo (320m) would be 32cm / 12.6" long.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Honestly, this makes me feel a lot better about Catalyst. It may just be because they don't want to risk their kickstarter money, but I've been a little leery of them keeping Pardoe on after he took his mask off and revealed the huge, rotting pile of poo poo underneath. The fact that they're not standing by him is a positive in my book.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 30, 2022

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've got a 1:1000 Enterprise Refit on the way, too. I'd be willing to be that Fortress DropShip is a reasonable portion of its mass. :ssh:

That Titan isn't the biggest aerodyne DropShip I have, either. I just didn't have space on the shelf for the Taiho.

Edit:
Since BattleTech Mapscale is 1:1000 (1mm=1m), at mapscale the Argo (320m) would be 32cm / 12.6" long.

Honestly, this makes me feel a lot better about Catalyst. It may just be because they don't want to risk their kickstarter money, but I've been a little leery of them keeping Pardoe on after he took his mask off and revealed the huge, rotting pile of poo poo underneath. The fact that they're not standing by him is a positive in my book.

Telling him that having good sales and ratings didn't matter and he was done anyway was a gigachad move(if it happened at all). Guy's online persona is toxic as hell and if the summary someone posted over on the chans of Blue Dawn was accurate he was pushing a lot of buttons for absolutely no reason:

quote:

>What was Blue Dawn actually about?
Liberals get a supermajority and SCOTUS control, and immediate declare the constitution null and void, make pedophilia legal, make gender transition mandatory if you hit certain psychological markers, and use the Republican voter registry to round up everyone who has ever voted for a right-wing candidate and put them into literal death camps. They neutralize the military by bringing in foreign militaries under the guise of liaison workshops; there's a short fire fight where the Canadian army takes over Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana and gains control of the nuclear weapons controlled from there. The book centers around a small band of heroic right wing freedom fighters led by a struggling sci-fi writer and his improbability attractive redhead girlfriend, and basically reenacts the plot of the original "Red Dawn" film. Instead of everyone dying at the end, it sets up an overthrow of the liberal government and the installation of a new one-party right wing government where taxation an immigration are both illegal.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It's a good step towards the future. BattleTech doesn't have to die as an old man's game--booting unironic culture warriors helps produce products with more fidelity to the story that its own creators are looking to bring to new generations.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
Rest in Piss, Bozo

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

el em ae oh

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

It's a good step towards the future. BattleTech doesn't have to die as an old man's game--booting unironic culture warriors helps produce products with more fidelity to the story that its own creators are looking to bring to new generations.

Even if he's right that this will alienate people who hold views like Pardoe's, that's a GOOD thing. You don't want to be their game any more than a bar wants to be a Nazi bar.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'd say they can go back to 40k, but Games Workshop has also made it clear it doesn't want them.

Oh well, I'm sure they'll cry over it while playing a meticulously painted SS squadron in whatever WWII wargame misunderstands that the SS were largely garbage conscript regiments the hardest.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I, for one, am excited to hear the hot takes from a local guy that paints his mechs German grey with iron crosses.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Telling him that having good sales and ratings didn't matter and he was done anyway was a gigachad move(if it happened at all). Guy's online persona is toxic as hell and if the summary someone posted over on the chans of Blue Dawn was accurate he was pushing a lot of buttons for absolutely no reason:

Good lord that's vile.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Meh.

1st amendment. Y'all would be doing backflips if it was left-wing masturbatory fantasy.

I just want to have giant robots punch each other.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
What the gently caress is a left-wing masturbatory fantasy?

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Everyone doesn't have to die because they can't afford a doctor and can actually live life normally without the threat of imminent death at the hands of the state for the crime of not being the way any given cop wants you to be, probably?

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Saman posted:

Everyone doesn't have to die because they can't afford a doctor and can actually live life normally without the threat of imminent death at the hands of the state for the crime of not being the way any given cop wants you to be, probably?

stop it I can only get so hard

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Star Trek, I guess.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PhotoKirk posted:

1st amendment.

Okay???

He can say what he wants but that doesn't mean we can't call him a dickhead for it.

In any case they cite "online activities" not his published writings so I'm wondering if he said something extremely hosed up somewhere.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PhotoKirk posted:

Meh.

1st amendment. Y'all would be doing backflips if it was left-wing masturbatory fantasy.

Lmao gently caress off

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

None of that makes any sense.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Strobe posted:

Lmao gently caress off

:emptyquote:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's funny how right-wing masturbation fantasies are like "fascism and racial purity and imagining their opponents are all pedophiles and are waiting in the shadows to strike and steal nukes" while left-wing masturbation is "it would be nice if everyone was happy and had enough food/housing/medicine to live and jobs, education, and fulfillment"

it's almost like those things are not the same!!!

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

PhotoKirk posted:

Meh.

Great news, you still can, Pardoe didn't invent the concept of battlemechs and by all indications his writing is even more schlocky garbage than you can get away with even in the relatively wild west zone that is military sci fi writing! Crying 1st amendment about some guy being a concern troll for the concept of equality isn't poo poo, he has a right to say whatever he wants and we have the right to not pay him dick for whatever shitbrained scribble he puts to page about it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I liked his older stuff when I was younger, like his Highlander stories, but my goodness Hour of the Wolf was incredibly boring, rote, and predictable - which isn't what you should be able to say about the book that reveals a massive upheaval in the setting!

They didn't cite the quality of his work but that alone should have been what had them not ask for him to come back, let alone whatever specifically caused them parting ways now

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I kind of enjoyed Betrayal of Ideals but that was mostly because it's about how awful the clans are and how they're built entirely on lies. Besides that, it's only passable and the characters are all pretty cartoonish and one-note. Everything I head about Hour of the Wolf made me very frustrated, though, so good riddance to a bad writer and a horrible chud.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

PhotoKirk posted:

Meh.

Can't have too much freeze peach in punchbots.

His "I have been cancelled" spew can be found here if you really want to click it, but you shouldn't.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 31, 2022

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I am glad he's gone, but unfortunately this does mean I won't be able to look up #battletech on Twitter for the next several weeks to enjoy pictures of minis without having to also wade through a sea of Angry Right-Wing Chudheads shrieking about the 'Woke Mob'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

What finally got him canned?