Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Arashi and Lion Maru were competing series by Toei and P Productions. They both came out the same year- my father was in Japan then and brought me back some Lion Maru comics and books and I was absolutely hooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ufOG0aLwnI

Interesting, I'll have to put these on my list to check out. Been having tons of fun with Godzilla and Ultraman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

That’s Teke Cat by US Toys. I have zero idea if it’s from a series or just a cool cat Sofubi. I got it from Hakaba Gallery online. They also have a solid white one but I liked this milky translucent with calico colors better. It’s larger than I expected as well! Here’s a link https://store.hakabanogarou.jp/view/item/000000009465?category_page_id=ct105

Thanks for the link! And well, here's the damage so far:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

There's so many cool color combo/variants on those Ultramans (Ultramen?); and those Sunguts guys are awesome.

Turbinosamente posted:

Thanks for the link! And well, here's the damage so far:

What's up, Bell buddy :v:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

LadyPictureShow posted:

What's up, Bell buddy :v:

:whatup:

Yeah, I had to have one too and lucked out on an international site. I kinda prefer the first colorway to the second, so added bonus!

edit: Oh hey I just looked at Instagram and Shimomoku posted one of the prototype Bell designs (if I parsed google translate correctly). Neat.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CglwZLEufl7/?hl=en

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 29, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Although Bell is most assuredly Not My Thing™️ it really is a goddamned fantastic figure.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jura Doubleunga lottery is over. Check your emails!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It pains me to say this but I’m going to pass on this lottery even though it’s one of my favorite colors- but this is an AMAZING figure

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgqRtenLRkO/?igshid=NWRhNmQxMjQ=

Edit: who the gently caress am I kidding. Entered but not expecting to win

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 31, 2022

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Jura Doubleunga lottery is over. Check your emails!

I'm getting one!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I'm getting one!

YESSSSSSS

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I'm getting one!

Score! Me too! :moonrio:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:c00l:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just wanna say I’m super stoked that y’all got the new Elegab

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I just wanna say I’m super stoked that y’all got the new Elegab

Did you get one?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Did you get one?

oh yeah :c00l:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

:hfive:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arrived! My Real Uamou lavender type! I’ve been wanting one of these for a while and when this beautiful colorway came up last month I jumped on it!

It comes with an alternative arm that I forgot to bring with me but I prefer the ghost arm anyway

edit: one of the things I really love about this figure is that it is completely matte and has no glossiness about it whatsoever.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 4, 2022

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

The colors on that is pretty rad! I like the ghost concept too.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It looks like the next Elegab might be a turquoise Tunnelon!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yessss. Pico Pico’s “Big Kaiju King” figure got here!

He’s big!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lol the crown is excellent

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Kaiju King is really fun! I love that the crown is a separate piece. Is that his own creation?

Shipped the last few things I had waiting from Zen Market, which were these Max Toy / One Up "real series" figs that were released as an in-store only item as part of One Ups new location opening. Typically I'm all about bright colors, GID, and glitter, but I really like the realistic look of these. It's neat to see how a sculpt can change based on the paint. Each of these guys were 1 of 20,

Went to my first really large public event since the pandemic started, and attended PowerCon this weekend. It's mostly an action figure / MOTU convention, but Otakumerica was there, and I picked up a couple of smalls from his booth. He had a black blank Passion Tank Shin there too, but it was out of my price range.

The Godzilla is from U.S. Toys, which was the first time I'd seen in person. It's really small, but I loved it right when I saw it. Prices on these seem really high for their size, but I also really really like some of the others I've seen online. Dangerous, haha!

The other two are Bullmarks. I guess the Ultraman is an homage to the old and much larger vintage toy. The Baltan is part of a line where the old vintage toys were shrunk to mini sizes and appeared as gacha or something like that.

James Groman was also at the show, and I was able to check out some of his stuff (which typically isn't my preference), but it looks incredible in person. Aside from his painted / statue type stuff, there was a vinyl green / purple marbled triceratops that was huge / amazing! He wasn't at the booth so I wasn't able to meet him or inquire about prices, but everything I've read about him says he's a super rad dude.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Kaiju King is really fun! I love that the crown is a separate piece. Is that his own creation?

Shipped the last few things I had waiting from Zen Market, which were these Max Toy / One Up "real series" figs that were released as an in-store only item as part of One Ups new location opening. Typically I'm all about bright colors, GID, and glitter, but I really like the realistic look of these. It's neat to see how a sculpt can change based on the paint. Each of these guys were 1 of 20,

Went to my first really large public event since the pandemic started, and attended PowerCon this weekend. It's mostly an action figure / MOTU convention, but Otakumerica was there, and I picked up a couple of smalls from his booth. He had a black blank Passion Tank Shin there too, but it was out of my price range.

The Godzilla is from U.S. Toys, which was the first time I'd seen in person. It's really small, but I loved it right when I saw it. Prices on these seem really high for their size, but I also really really like some of the others I've seen online. Dangerous, haha!

The other two are Bullmarks. I guess the Ultraman is an homage to the old and much larger vintage toy. The Baltan is part of a line where the old vintage toys were shrunk to mini sizes and appeared as gacha or something like that.

James Groman was also at the show, and I was able to check out some of his stuff (which typically isn't my preference), but it looks incredible in person. Aside from his painted / statue type stuff, there was a vinyl green / purple marbled triceratops that was huge / amazing! He wasn't at the booth so I wasn't able to meet him or inquire about prices, but everything I've read about him says he's a super rad dude.

Nice!!

Yeah the Kaiju Daioh comes with the crown, it's great.

Yeah those Bullmarks are their minis- I'll show you the standard size Baltan and the large size Return of Ultraman that those are based on tonight if I remember to do so.

I have to ask, how much was the blank black Passiontank Shin going for?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Nice!!

Yeah the Kaiju Daioh comes with the crown, it's great.

Yeah those Bullmarks are their minis- I'll show you the standard size Baltan and the large size Return of Ultraman that those are based on tonight if I remember to do so.

I have to ask, how much was the blank black Passiontank Shin going for?

That would be awesome! I could have sworn I'd seen the Ultraman online before, but when I saw it in person it was so tiny. His explanation helped me out, ha.

He was asking $500, but gave me the impression when I was asking about stuff that he was negotiable. He sells on Instagram to, so if you were so inclined, you could make an offer.

As an aside he was a super nice dude! There was also a U. S. Toys Moguera there, and I knew nothing about the character ect, and he explained a bit of the history, movie, ect. Nice to shoot the poo poo with someone in person, haha.

There's an ever larger show in Xenia, OH in OCT called the Great OH Toy Show that he'll be at as well. I haven't been to that show since before the Pandemic started, but it's in a bunch of buildings at a fair ground. He said he'd be there with a much larger booth than the one at PowerCon. That's a very busy time of year for me personally, but I'm going to try to get there if I can.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 8, 2022

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

In case anyone was looking for a display case / cabinet, Milsbo cabinets are back in stock at Ikea. :toot:

I'd like to get some LED lights to light up the cabinet. Do LEDs damage Sofubi? From what I've read, UV light is no bueno. LEDs are a form of UV light, so am I going to yellow everything or would the limited time the lights be on not be too big of a deal?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

As long as the lights aren’t on 24/7/365 it should be fine

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Word. I'll just have them on for a few hours in the evenings mostly.

My basement / man cave / toyroom has been a WIP since we moved into this house last year, and these drat cabinets are the last major roadblock to getting it settled.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Here are the two I mentioned earlier. The first is the large size Bullmark Ultraman Jack- this is a modern remake. I had one as a kid and still have the original cardboard backing with the art on it somewhere

And this is a standard size Baltan. Forgive the missing arm- I took it off to show a friend how the joints come off and didn’t bother putting it back on.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Nice, those are both super fun! Comparing them with the minis, they're pretty spot on which is cool. I didn't realize they'd match (specifically Baltan) right down to the colors. I love that Ultraman comes with a removable helmet. I was a big fan of any G.I. Joe that had a removable helmet growing up, so that's right up my alley.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

My basement / man cave / toyroom has been a WIP since we moved into this house last year, and these drat cabinets are the last major roadblock to getting it settled.

In a year or two I'll get to look forward to this problem: where I am currently I only have a couple shelves devoted to my nerd poo poo, but it's wildly disparate stuff: sofubi to kokeshi to plushies to anime figs. I feel better about it now because I whipped up some cheap display risers, so at least everything can be seen properly. No picture because I haven't had time, but in addition to reorganizing the shelves I now have half the Konatsuya owls!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

The Konatsuya owls are fun. How many of them are there in total?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

The Konatsuya owls are fun. How many of them are there in total?

As far as I know, four. I have the sakura and snowy colors. Theres a grey one I'm lukewarm about and the original brown that may have been a d-con exclusive. Maybe I'll get the others if they pop up, but I don't hold out much hope for the brown. And as an aside I still cannot believe the convention's name is shortened to d-con.

Edit: I finally took pics. Here is the full shelf of shameful nerd items for the curious. More of interest to this thread, owls:

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 11, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

As far as I know, four. I have the sakura and snowy colors. Theres a grey one I'm lukewarm about and the original brown that may have been a d-con exclusive. Maybe I'll get the others if they pop up, but I don't hold out much hope for the brown. And as an aside I still cannot believe the convention's name is shortened to d-con.

Edit: I finally took pics. Here is the full shelf of shameful nerd items for the curious. More of interest to this thread, owls:

Woah I love that Lum- I have an Arale by the same company. Those are really cute style that rings well with me.

Also, speaking of cute- I really really hope I win the lottery for the Elephand and Shark- I've loved these sculpts so much for a while.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChMgQpoOgV-/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Woah I love that Lum- I have an Arale by the same company. Those are really cute style that rings well with me.

Also, speaking of cute- I really really hope I win the lottery for the Elephand and Shark- I've loved these sculpts so much for a while.

Thanks! I do have a "real" Lum statue currently off display but when I saw the 80s neon hair colorway... I picked the best pose of the three they've made. I of course found out about them when a friend gifted me the Inuyasha.

I then had a half hearted hope that qposkets would take over the world as they seem to be bandai's answer to funko pops, but pops seem to be dying on their own thankfully. (As hypocritical as it is that I own two; non humanoid characters seem to fare better in the style format.)

And that elephant and shark, there's a lion too as well from that maker right? I saw one that was sold while cruising through mandarake's site. Reminds me of the time when we did the same concept in a high school jewelry class: took elementary kid's drawings and made them in metal and gave them to the kids. Fun times!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Turbinosamente posted:

Reminds me of the time when we did the same concept in a high school jewelry class: took elementary kid's drawings and made them in metal and gave them to the kids. Fun times!

I thought the same, and I love it. Makes me want to make toys out of my old drawings

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

That entire concept is super rad!

I was trying to do some research on US Toys and stumbled across a company I'd not heard of called Seismic Toys (I'd seen their Ragnar, but didn't pay it much attention). Anywho, they have an Ultraman line, and they showed their upcoming Sevenger. Neat part is that they showed it with a SSSP base. It doesn't look like the base has been officially announced for release, but may be coming in the future...?

Looks cool, and might be an option instead of the Medicom one.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Turbinosamente posted:

And that elephant and shark, there's a lion too as well from that maker right? I saw one that was sold while cruising through mandarake's site. Reminds me of the time when we did the same concept in a high school jewelry class: took elementary kid's drawings and made them in metal and gave them to the kids. Fun times!

https://tbasejpn.com/en/collections/pvc-soft-vinyl/products/sh0108s201

Sold out there, sadly. Those are very fun designs.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Awwwww yeah, that's the poo poo. The one I saw might have been a transparent rainbow one, looks like there's a couple colorways all sold out by now. I kinda like the og color there better, I find I'm not totally into transparent sofubis anyways.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah there are colorways that keep coming out- I really really want a Lion

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
This is up for preorder on the usual websites and I much as I love it, I cannot justify the money or space for it. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah agreed- I like it but can't justify it. If it was a cat I'd probably try though :sweatdrop: