Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ghostlight posted:

fighting in world war ii

All those guys are dead. It was 80 years ago, if they were in their 20s for the later part of the war they'd be in their 100s now. Sliding timescale do be a bitch like that, ridiculously old 80 something folks were just being born when he went in the ice in modern Marvel. The old people of today are the entitled boomer children of the folks he went to war with. There's maybe a hundred thousand people in the entire US who are vaguely similar in age to him, and most of them aren't having regular conversations. And even then, they have multiple times his life experience. They've actually lived for nearly a century longer than he's been alive and conscious.

The idea of Steve hanging around with older folks made more sense in the 70s and 80s when those folks were the people he knew when he was young, because it'd been only 30 to 40 years at that point. Some 20-something he knew is in their 60s. Old, but you know. Alive. We are 40 years on from that point. There's nobody from him to sit around and go "Man, remember the Great Depression? That sucked!". He is an incredibly young man from the past, not an old man that looks vital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Mulva posted:

All those guys are dead. It was 80 years ago, if they were in their 20s for the later part of the war they'd be in their 100s now. Sliding timescale do be a bitch like that, ridiculously old 80 something folks were just being born when he went in the ice in modern Marvel. The old people of today are the entitled boomer children of the folks he went to war with. There's maybe a hundred thousand people in the entire US who are vaguely similar in age to him, and most of them aren't having regular conversations. And even then, they have multiple times his life experience. They've actually lived for nearly a century longer than he's been alive and conscious.

The idea of Steve hanging around with older folks made more sense in the 70s and 80s when those folks were the people he knew when he was young, because it'd been only 30 to 40 years at that point. Some 20-something he knew is in their 60s. Old, but you know. Alive. We are 40 years on from that point. There's nobody from him to sit around and go "Man, remember the Great Depression? That sucked!". He is an incredibly young man from the past, not an old man that looks vital.

Just imaging him saying that and someone replaying that yes they remembered 2008, it wasn't that long ago.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ghostlight posted:

fighting in world war ii

Sharing a drink and reminiscing on all those times they all punched Hitler and had that bullet-proof shield, just like any other Vet.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!

Lassie #51 (1960) wherein Lassie, Timmy, and the whole family get irradiated.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Spidey Super Stories #48 (1980)

Quasar #38 (1992)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Was Quasar the one where the Watcher brought a date to watch the end of the universe?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Was Quasar the one where the Watcher brought a date to watch the end of the universe?

"He went to Milliways?"

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Electric_Mud posted:

Just imaging him saying that and someone replaying that yes they remembered 2008, it wasn't that long ago.

It is pretty funny to think about how when he went on ice to first reappearing was initially what, 20 years? Like somebody who disappeared around 9/11 coming back doesn’t feel much a man out of time, occasionally referencing how crazy Y2K madness was maybe?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Thaddius the Large posted:

It is pretty funny to think about how when he went on ice to first reappearing was initially what, 20 years? Like somebody who disappeared around 9/11 coming back doesn’t feel much a man out of time, occasionally referencing how crazy Y2K madness was maybe?

Pre-Youtube, pre-Facebook, early Google, cellphones weren't commonplace yet and were mostly used to make calls. iPod wasn't out yet so were still thinking of music as inherently tied to physical disks. If the guy wanted to find out what they'd missed their first stop would probably be going to a public library for encyclopedias.

Don't let the lack of flying cars fool you, a lot has changed and become "normal."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Man unfrozen from the early 2000s: "I don't understand, why are there like 5 news channels and all of them tell me the others are lying? Is this a riddle?"

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

TwoPair posted:

Man unfrozen from the early 2000s: "I don't understand, why are there like 5 news channels and all of them tell me the others are lying? Is this a riddle?"

"Oh they're all lying. If you want the truth you need to follow these accounts on Twitter and whenever more than half agree on something, it might be accurate."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Wait, the real estate guy??"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just remembered the bit in Buddy Faro where he confuses Hanson (the orchestra) with the Hansons (from Slap Shot).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Phy posted:

"Wait, the real estate guy??"

I always think that the folks who laughed at "Ronald Reagan? The actor?" from Back to the Future in 1985 would be equally boggled to hear about President Trump.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prehistoric_Ice_Man

South Park’s take on a dude frozen for 3 years

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Selachian posted:

I always think that the folks who laughed at "Ronald Reagan? The actor?" from Back to the Future in 1985 would be equally boggled to hear about President Trump.

Back to the Future II should have prepared them!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Lightning Comics #6 (1941)

Ghost Manor #57 (1981)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Darthemed posted:

Ghost Manor #57 (1981)

Kinda annoyed the skeleton guy is obviously just a guy in a skeleton suit and not a skeleton.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Kinda annoyed the skeleton guy is obviously just a guy in a skeleton suit and not a skeleton.
If I had to guess the plot these are guys in costumes, and they're going to run into real monsters at "the mansion".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zereth posted:

If I had to guess the plot these are guys in costumes, and they're going to run into real monsters at "the mansion".

Yeah there's exactly two types of monster story that they did in America back then:

1) Fake monsters meet the real monsters
2) The fake monster is the real monster AAAAH!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
3) the real monster was man all along

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dareon posted:

3) the real monster was man all along

Oh yeah but then it's a sci-fi or apocalypse story. Like Asimov's novella Yute. (e: which is the former)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah there's exactly two types of monster story that they did in America back then:

1) Fake monsters meet the real monsters
2) The fake monster is the real monster AAAAH!

Or the real monster accidentally attacks another monster.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Witch Watch spitting truth

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Mandrake (2005)

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Darthemed posted:

Ghost Manor #57 (1981)

There's probably a joke somewhere about saying you saw a large menacing group of weird-looking people with strange clothes and hair in odd places riding noisy motorcycles and the reply being, "Teenagers?"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What I want to know is, when did John McCain become a horror comic host?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Blue Beetle #29 (1944)

The Age of the Sentry #6 (2009)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Or the real monster accidentally attacks another monster.

The real monster was the other monster the monster met along the way :hai:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Darthemed posted:

Blue Beetle #29 (1944)

Adolf Hitler, Carpet Muncher. Explains why Eva Braun stayed in the bunker when everything was going to poo poo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darthemed posted:

The Age of the Sentry #6 (2009)

"Hey, great work on that panel. But uh... I think you forgot Dr. Strange and we're running out of time."

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kennel posted:

Mandrake (2005)

This guy is saying what we all wanna hear

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Darthemed posted:

Blue Beetle #29 (1944)

Mild annoyance twice a year: perfect payback for a genocide.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Crazy #1 (1953)

Ranma 1/2 Vol. 17 (2001)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ah, that old trick!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

What did I just read

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

What did I just read

Based on the artstyle I assume this is from the JoJo manga (no idea which part though)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Larryb posted:

Based on the artstyle I assume this is from the JoJo manga (no idea which part though)

It's five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ah, that old trick!

"Y...you're pretty interesting!" made me laugh out loud even before jellyfish tooth, that's a truly weird set of panels!