Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
ieee spectrum has a pretty good article up about russian electronic warfare equipment and capabilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Beeftweeter posted:

ieee spectrum has a pretty good article up about russian electronic warfare equipment and capabilities

I found the local cell network stuff interesting and omfg at these assholes coordinating stuff via cellphones. When I was in the army I wasn’t a super secret squirrel but I worked with our EW folks at a division level and got certified on certain things. I can’t talk about any of it cause I don’t remember poo poo about it but what I learned from our EW folks is that it’s all the kind of thing a really well run operation can take advantage of but not really a make or break deal

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

For those people who can't get enough of it, here's some more cryptography talk.

The NIST contest to make quantum-resistant algorithms is in its fourth round, and a severe vulnerability has just been discovered in one of its contenders:
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/08/sike-once-a-post-quantum-encryption-contender-is-koed-in-nist-smackdown/

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

thanks for the iMessage responses folks! I knew I was missing some key details

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
iMessage owns

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

sb hermit posted:

For those people who can't get enough of it, here's some more cryptography talk.

The NIST contest to make quantum-resistant algorithms is in its fourth round, and a severe vulnerability has just been discovered in one of its contenders:
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/08/sike-once-a-post-quantum-encryption-contender-is-koed-in-nist-smackdown/

quote:

To give an example illustrating what I mean, for decades people have been trying to attack regular elliptic curve cryptography, including some who have tried using approaches based on genus 2 curves. None of these attempts has succeeded. So for this attempt to succeed in the realm of isogenies is an unexpected development.

comedy outcome: this leads someone to go on to realize a novel technique to attack EC

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
isogenies is pronounced the same as diogenes

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

hackerone / macaroni

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
stuck an exploit in his app and called it hackerone

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Crime on a Dime posted:

hackerone / macaroni
Xiaomi / Ah-Xiao-ah-mia!

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

haveblue posted:

lmaoooo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

haveblue posted:

:vince:

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

https://twitter.com/Crimeonadime/status/1506195513804455939

mystes
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

haveblue posted:

lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Wild EEPROM posted:

behold, a curve

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue's version is better :colbert:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

behold, a curve

in a NIST man's house there is nowhere to SIKE but his face

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
it's happening again
https://twitter.com/stephenlacy/status/1554697077430505473

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/35-000-code-repos-not-hacked-but-clones-flood-github-to-serve-malware/

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

still thinking about the great new thread title

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
really ties the room together

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/githubsecurity/status/1554843443200806913?s=21&t=USzIt877Hpw-pRZE2IIMow

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

haveblue posted:

lmao

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

anyone here passed the OSEE? we recently had our consultants in-office to show off to the CEO+board of directors and one of the consultants was bragging about passing it. poo poo sounds obscene, a loving 72 hour proctored practical involving 48 hours of practical exploit demonstration and 24 hours of write-up.

e: dude said the report he produced in the 24 hours was ~110 pages. like im sure loads of that was filler but still. also documenting every step of the exploit phase was required to an insane degree, to the point that it has to be 100% reproducible. oh and the exploit targets consisted of three disparate AD domains with various relying party trusts and numerous exposed services and poo poo. loving insane

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 3, 2022

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

if you aren't following the alex jones trial, and i dont blame you if you arent, his lawyer accidentally gave the sandy hook families lawyers a copy of jones' phone and ignored the lawyers asking if he was sure he meant to do that

https://twitter.com/dansolomon/status/1554900413702443016
https://twitter.com/dansolomon/status/1554900775922536451
https://twitter.com/dansolomon/status/1554901464899887104

i guess make extra sure you know which dropbox folder is for the people suing you and which is for your client

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

my only experience with Dropbox is syncing 1Password vaults and that has made it seem sketchy enough, is it really certified for legal chain of custody stuff?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

my only experience with Dropbox is syncing 1Password vaults and that has made it seem sketchy enough, is it really certified for legal chain of custody stuff?

that's a good question imo as this isn't the first time i've seen a cloud storage provider be used for discovery in court cases. i have nfi what the expectations are with that kind of stuff, it seems like everyone just kind of doesn't give a poo poo? unless they're doing a lot of hash validation and poo poo on the side. paging a lawyer i guess

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Jenny Agutter posted:

"Certified". Lol

The lawyers in my old office had four options for digital file transfer:

* Burn a CD and mail it or fax/mail printed hardcopies

* Unauthorized email, personal Dropbox, Google drive links tied to personal accounts

* A password protected zipped archive sent over email as a reply all to a large group. With the password to said archive usually in body of the email

* Some sketchy file transfer service built in 1997 by an it admin in his spare time who'd retired a decade ago.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

at my last job we delivered the results of a discovery via onedrive

I'd trust that or dropbox or google drive over most of the other solutions lawyers dream up

mystes
May 31, 2006

duz posted:

i guess make extra sure you know which dropbox folder is for the people suing you and which is for your client
Or at least I guess respond in 10 days when it's pointed out to you

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lol I don’t know what I expected. a bit surprising given that charter just got a $7billion judgement against them based partly on the provenance of a forged contract

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
We just recently moved over to Egnyte and they have quite a few legal-specific holds and PII sensitive content classifications and governance but you have to pay extra for some of the more advanced features.

It still beats emailing an archive or attaching plain documents to email... we can at least restrict access to a specific external user account and force MFA setup before sharing access or a link.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

law firms love PST files and have insanely expensive rubrics built around PST ingestion and indexing. that is why you can still export to PST from microsoft 365 security & compliance/purview

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

We just recently moved over to Egnyte

sounds like you're all smiles

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

flakeloaf posted:

sounds like you're all smiles

I inherited like 20 years worth of hosed up mismanaged poo poo when I started this job and every little bit definitely helps. Lmao sorry if it sounded like an ad.

It's like a miracle to finally get rid of ~5 fileservers with about 60 shares and zero permissions control. Seems like whoever was managing these were just like "well, this drive is full, let's use this one over here...who can see it? Meh, just give everyone access" for decades. ☠️

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

love to find poo poo like \\dfs.example.com\AdminScripts where it's just a pile of PS scripts and Domain Users has read+write. inserting back-doors into scripts as an unprivileged user and waiting for them to be run by privileged users is just great.

e: see also PS scripts on a server that are executed by a Scheduled Task as SYSTEM and yet Users have read+write on the script, great way to elevate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Pile Of Garbage posted:

love to find poo poo like \\dfs.example.com\AdminScripts where it's just a pile of PS scripts and Domain Users has read+write. inserting back-doors into scripts as an unprivileged user and waiting for them to be run by privileged users is just great.

e: see also PS scripts on a server that are executed by a Scheduled Task as SYSTEM and yet Users have read+write on the script, great way to elevate.

I keep seeing people leaving plaintext domain admin creds in ps scripts on their desktop.