Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
he still cares 🙏

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

elf help book posted:

he still cares 🙏

lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

do you think love can even b̷͇̜͕͇̗̣̙̖͎̯̜̞̾̓̂̓͌̊̍̏͜͝ḷ̴͖̥̜̩̹͖̟͖̭͖̅̐̔̃͋ő̷͔̩͉͌͗̊̚o̶̧̡͚̼̠͖͔̟̲͙̰͂̃̔͆̑̈́͐̽͒̓͒̍̚̕m̸̟͖͓̳̒́́̄́̓̅͘͝ on a b̴̧̛͔͎͉̪͈̗̗͉̱̘̐̓̍͂̓̈̚͜á̶̢̧͈͓̜̤͓̹̘͉̹̅̅̾̆̽̓͋̒͋t̵̫̔̐͊͐t̷̤͕̯̗̯̤͍͖́̆̈̿͒̄̇̈́̅̄̀̚ļ̸̠̮̝̭̼͚̹̻̝̱̣͔̩̫̆̔̋̄̂̉̏̒̋͗͌̅͝e̵̩̅̀̅̐͂̓̊̚̕͝ͅf̵̡͍̬̼̥̤̬̑̈́ͅi̵̲̻̺̙̖͕̘͆̎̇̊͒̽̈́̓̐͊́̇͘͝ͅȩ̵̢͎̝̣̹͕̞̼̘̦̩͔̕͜͜l̷̗̜̦͇̻̉̉̆̎͌̈̽̾͋͠d̸̺͈͇̗̱̤̄̔̌͊́͘͠͠

this is how i played the entirety of mgs 3 lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

what is the "tutorial" in acid

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

oh i see thers just 5 minutes of cutscenes between each part of this, i knew it couldnt just be "move once"

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

amazing im not playing this

: Beat the Tutorial (thats right, go ahead and just give this a shot)

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Beat the Game -
Save Meryl -

Great game, glad to have finally played it all the way through. I was trying for <25 kills and I thought I might make it, so I'm guessing that if you kill an enemy and then continue it still counts against your limit.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Oh it's going.

341 continues, 423 kills.

Can't recommend that anyone watches this entire thing but here it is for posterity: 20 minute euro extreme ray fight recorded with a webcam filled with incoherent mumbling and yelling. Some pretty harrowing poo poo in here lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUWYp7QSipw

: Beat the game on European Extreme difficulty (IZCG Platinum Badge)

Exhausting mode. I think I could definitely get Big Boss on the much easier regular Extreme now but I'm gonna wait on that one. gently caress Olga, gently caress Fatman, gently caress Vamp, RAYs and Solidus were pretty cool. Definitely my hardest IZGC trophy so far

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 31, 2022

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Beat the MSX (or PS2 port) game:
Escape the final sequence without cigarettes:

Glad that's over

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

I'm glad I got to see the origins of Metal Gear staples like blowing up walls with C4 and learning right before the end you were being manipulated the whole time, though

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Arch Nemesis posted:

Beat the Game -
Save Meryl -

Great game, glad to have finally played it all the way through. I was trying for <25 kills and I thought I might make it, so I'm guessing that if you kill an enemy and then continue it still counts against your limit.

Yeah, that’s how it works. Same thing happened to me and Fungah

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

elf help book posted:

amazing im not playing this

wise decision

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Good luck to everyone trying to beat Metal Gears today

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Oh it's going.

Can't recommend that anyone watches this entire thing but here it is for posterity: 20 minute euro extreme ray fight recorded with a webcam filled with incoherent mumbling and yelling. Some pretty harrowing poo poo in here lol.

Exhausting mode. I think I could definitely get Big Boss on the much easier regular Extreme now but I'm gonna wait on that one. gently caress Olga, gently caress Fatman, gently caress Vamp, RAYs and Solidus were pretty cool. Definitely my hardest IZGC trophy so far

nice loving work, this sounds like a nightmare lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Oh it's going.

gg
the ray fight alone stopped me from even attempting it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Evil Eagle posted:

Oh it's going.

:worship:

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol this game is loving weird, I kind of like it though. will probably play more of this after MGJ

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah I'm definitely playing more acid after July, gonna end up playing every game but Survive probably before the end of the year just to say I've done it, which at this point I think is just NES MG1, Acid 1 and 2, PoOps and GZ/TPP left unless I'm missing one. also wanna rank 1 MGS2 and MGS4

With 4/5 plats I'm very tempted to play Ghost Babel special stages all day but man I really sucked at Ghost Babel lol.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Oh it's going.

god drat dude, this is insane

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Evil Eagle posted:

Oh it's going.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Yeah I'm definitely playing more acid after July, gonna end up playing every game but Survive probably before the end of the year just to say I've done it, which at this point I think is just NES MG1, Acid 1 and 2, PoOps and GZ/TPP left unless I'm missing one. also wanna rank 1 MGS2 and MGS4

With 4/5 plats I'm very tempted to play Ghost Babel special stages all day but man I really sucked at Ghost Babel lol.

I recommend MGS2 skateboarding

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
doing the write up today for tomorrows pick. good luck everyone with finishing up Metal Gear July!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

: Beat the Game
: Kill The End Early
: Unlock the Mosin Nagant
: Catch a Tsuchinoko
: Unlock the Stealth Camo (PLATINUM IZCG TROPHY)
: Collect at least 50 cards
: Beat the game
: Unlock Kojima
: Unlock the Monster Hunter Stages
: Unlock the High-Frequency Wooden Sword

contracting foxdie gave me an additional two days to play metal gear

revengeance was so fun i beat it twice. the second time around when you know what youre doing is very ftw, monsoon hardest fight
metal gear acid 2 is weird, better aesthetic and gameplay by a LOT (you dont waste a turn lying down or climbing a ladder) but much more anime. also ppsspp crashed during every card cutscene so i just couldn't use those cards
peace walker is extremely good but has a lot of headbob during movement, i wish i would have beaten it but it made me nauseous playing it for 10 hours with covid
mgs3 is the best metal gear game

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mbt posted:

revengeance was so fun i beat it twice. the second time around when you know what youre doing is very ftw, monsoon hardest fight
metal gear acid 2 is weird, better aesthetic and gameplay by a LOT (you dont waste a turn lying down or climbing a ladder) but much more anime. also ppsspp crashed during every card cutscene so i just couldn't use those cards
peace walker is extremely good but has a lot of headbob during movement, i wish i would have beaten it but it made me nauseous playing it for 10 hours with covid

drat fine work, hope you’re feeling better

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Managed a non-lethal run, this remains one of the best games of all time.

That’s probably a wrap for Metal Gear July for me, although I definitely wanna replay MGS4, Peace Walker and Revengeance after this. MGS and Imp Zone ftw

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sub-Actuality posted:

drat fine work, hope you’re feeling better

thank you. i was blessed with a fairly mild case and only lost my taste for a day.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mbt posted:

thank you. i was blessed with a fairly mild case and only lost my taste for a day.

Glad to hear it. I would argue that your taste for that day was excellent

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Decided to commit to getting these Special Stages done. Currently dealing with these

bees x1000 posted:

- exploding because I hid behind cover to dodge a hitscan machinegun.
- donkey kong.

I think beating Metal Gear twice with these restrictions and the items they give you is going to be the hardest but we'll see

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1553753752108027904?s=21&t=FLZt_emJJJ4hJxxMWiO3fg

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1553754049798742018?s=21&t=10rSiyU-jzbeAokbkgScRw

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

mbt posted:

:eyepop:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mbt posted:

that right there, that's why you're the best, boss!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i loaded an old mgs3 save and i was wearing the zombie facepaint and the ga-ko camo?

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Extra Ops 67: Date With Kojima
MISSION COMPLETE
S-RANK

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Wow, it's a huge leap from Metal Gear to MG2. In terms of gameplay it's at least as big as the transition to 3D

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Joan posted:

Wow, it's a huge leap from Metal Gear to MG2. In terms of gameplay it's at least as big as the transition to 3D

yeah mg1 is neat to see kojima get started but 2 is basically a modern game. completely badass

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

anyone know how to make the birds not fly away in ghost babel stage 4 lol, this one with no alerts is getting me

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Where you pick up the AK? I went clockwise around the outside. If you KO any of the guards the birds automatically fly.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Evil Eagle posted:

anyone know how to make the birds not fly away in ghost babel stage 4 lol, this one with no alerts is getting me

I think if you crawl you don't scare the birds, unless you get to close, then you scare the birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Pick 15

Deadline 8/7/22 11:59PM EST

Something a bit different and unique for this week:

Write up per Cubone

:siren: Text Adventures :siren:

People are still making these! Well passed the days of Zork and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, text adventures have become something of a niche hobbyist interest, and the games have gotten more intuitive, player-friendly, and unique, with creators exploring and iterating on different kinds of interaction and unusual settings. They're also pretty short, so instead of one game, we'll be doing a sampler of several games that do different things, so you can check them all out or just play the ones that interest you.

Gun Mute

A text adventure-shooter. Play as a mute gay cowboy in a Weird West setting taking on cyborg outlaws with nothing but your six-gun and your wits. Kind of to shooting games what Punch-Out!! is to fighting games- every shootout is a little puzzle where you have to pay attention to details and make logical conjectures to win.

Photobia

This one starts off a bit narratively abstract, and I don't want to spoil it, but the story does come into focus and when it does it hits pretty hard. I'd compare this one to walking sims- there are interactive bits, but you're really playing it more for the experience than moving towards a goal. Though it does feature a pretty remarkable outside-the-box puzzle that feels amazing to figure out.

Superluminal Vagrant Twin

Ignore the terrible title, this one's great. You play as something of a space mercenary, meeting strange folks and doing odd jobs in order to raise the money you owe to free your kidnapped twin. A little like Mass Effect but with everything pared down to work within just a few game mechanics that are extremely simple (even for a text adventure), while still feeling massive.

An Act of Murder

A murder mystery with a time limit and randomized variables (so it's replayable). You play as a detective investigating a murder at an isolated estate in the country. Move around the large estate, examining clues, interrogating suspects, and compiling evidence to present when your boss arrives. I recommend saving often and taking lots of notes- little things can end up crucially important.

How to Run These
On every game's IFDB (interactive fiction database) page, in the upper right corner, there's links to every available way to play the game. Some of them you can play in browser, others have playable .exes available to download, but many come in files with weird extensions like .z8. For those you need an interpreter- you can kind of think of an interpreter as an emulator and the story files as ROMs. IFDB is thoughtful enough to accompany story file links with a link to a wiki page that can point you towards options for the interpreter you need, but honestly Gargoyle works for just about everything if you want to play on desktop, and it's available for Windows, OSX, and Linux. iPhone or iPad users can also use a really reliable free app called Frotz. Android users, I dunno sorry, but a quick google search recommends something called "Fabularium"

Trophies this week thanks again to Sub-Actuality!

Beat 1 game:
Beat all 4:

Games Start 8/1/22 12AM EST