Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
wait a minute...these goalposts aren't where I left them...!

was just responding to "all their supports are one house", which they're not. in any case I like the wolves as free agents with some specific geographical ties. without it we wouldn't get balthus/edelgard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Taear posted:

(gonna say it again, everyone using the acronyms of the story names is totally meaningless to me)

SB = Scarlet Blaze = red = Crimson Flower = Black Eagles
AG = Azure Gleam = blue = Azure Moon = Blue Lions (lol)
GW = Golden Wildfire = yellow = Verdant Wind = Golden Deer (also lol)

thank you for coming to my ted talk

ps. we dont talk about silver snow

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Sudden Javelin posted:

wait a minute...these goalposts aren't where I left them...!

was just responding to "all their supports are one house", which they're not. in any case I like the wolves as free agents with some specific geographical ties. without it we wouldn't get balthus/edelgard

Yeah, in hopes I like em not being tied to a house, they're just scattered across Fodlan making life work for themselves before you pick them up.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I'd say the game is successfully entertaining for discussion to be this active either way.

Already bumping into the new game + issue where shez is maxed out support with everyone but I still want food buffs. Everyone having a free musou attack at the start of a mission makes things a lot smoother.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Hapi being the “Lions” recruit always felt a little awkward to me. It always felt I hate knights. Just do not like them because they’re always assholes to me. I should be in the knight house. Feels weird.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Clawtopsy posted:

Hapi being the “Lions” recruit always felt a little awkward to me. It always felt I hate knights. Just do not like them because they’re always assholes to me. I should be in the knight house. Feels weird.

She was born in Faerghus is the explanation as far as I can tell. I mean if anything she seemed more like Golden Deer material in the original but yeah I could see her and Yuri swapped around as far as which route they should be "native" to.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 30, 2022

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So just to try to make sense of some of the end-game nonsense I got a real Arceus/Giratina dynamic between the Dragon Gods and whatever the heck race Arval are Epimenedes are, with whatever the void is called being Akin to the Distortion world. They didn't explain that whole place very well

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

ChrisBTY posted:

So just to try to make sense of some of the end-game nonsense I got a real Arceus/Giratina dynamic between the Dragon Gods and whatever the heck race Arval are Epimenedes are, with whatever the void is called being Akin to the Distortion world. They didn't explain that whole place very well

It's the place Byleth got sent to when they walked into Solon's trap in Three Houses, its literally the shadow realm.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Judge Tesla posted:

It's the place Byleth got sent to when they walked into Solon's trap in Three Houses, its literally the shadow realm.

It's loving bullshit that they made a huge deal out of Byleth being able to break free and it requiring the power of a god, but Shez is just able to do it with no explanation. Byleth should've saved you there since you literally never visit it if Byleth is dead.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Eimi posted:

It's loving bullshit that they made a huge deal out of Byleth being able to break free and it requiring the power of a god, but Shez is just able to do it with no explanation. Byleth should've saved you there since you literally never visit it if Byleth is dead.

I assume it's just Shez broke out because of either killing the thing actively trapping them in there, or gaining the ability to do so from absorbing whatever ethereal energy arval left behind

That said I have to wonder how "canonical" that is anyways-- we also don't ever get an explanation of why/how Arval suddenly recovers the memory of how to banish everyone to eeby-deeby in the first place, and regardless of how Shez figured it out, it's weird that the act/result of gaining that ability has 0 effect on anything after outside of a couple of in-camp dialogues.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I assume it's just Shez broke out because of either killing the thing actively trapping them in there, or gaining the ability to do so from absorbing whatever ethereal energy arval left behind

That said I have to wonder how "canonical" that is anyways-- we also don't ever get an explanation of why/how Arval suddenly recovers the memory of how to banish everyone to eeby-deeby in the first place, and regardless of how Shez figured it out, it's weird that the act/result of gaining that ability has 0 effect on anything after outside of a couple of in-camp dialogues.

I believe the How is Arval getting their mind hollowed out and turned into a glove for Epimenides to 'wear', assumedly because Shez'd been around BylethSothis for a while while not killing them. Epimenides himself has all his memories as a Agarthan pre-TWSITD higherup who was skilled enough to 1v3 Seteth+Flayn+Seiros, so he knows how to send people to the Shadow Realm a la Solon. Why Epi targets the Lords rather than, I dunno, Byleth (who was right there, EpiShez was just trying to kill them on the same battlefield!) is more of a 'mystery'/plothole.

And yeah, more probably should have been done about it but the game was rushing to a conclusion at that point. Would have been nice if, I dunno, in either of the maps where Thales is part of the last boss Shez could use the shadowrealm bullshit to throw Thales off his game. gently caress, just have Shez go "Epimenides thought you were a bad leader and hated you" and gut him in his confusion.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 31, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The whole reason the shadow realm section exists is because the writers wanted an excuse for Claude, Edelgard, and Dimitri to all talk but couldn't think of how to feasibly get them in a room together and civil with one another without literally kidnapping them out of time and space for it to happen. Narratively it absolutely should have been Byleth who gets trapped there with Shez because then the whole sequence becomes a capstone to Shez, Byleth, Sothis, and Arval's stories. Arval/Epimenides betray you to try and kill Byleth, Shez and Byleth work together to subdue him finally truly accepting one another, and Sothis merges with Byleth to give them the power to bust out of the shadow realm like in Houses. Would have tied up everything neatly and given some satisfying narrative conclusion to Byleth and Shez's relationship in the "good" endings.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Balthus belongs to the golden deer, holst needs his heterosexual life partner. thank you for coming to my ted talk

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

mabels big day posted:

Balthus belongs to the golden deer, holst needs his heterosexual life partner. thank you for coming to my ted talk

there is nothing heterosexual about balholst

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Clawtopsy posted:

there is nothing heterosexual about balholst

Disagree. It's so hetero that it stack overflows to being non-hetero.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Holst strikes me as a guy who doesn't really know what sex is. Like Goku or Dante.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eimi posted:

Holst strikes me as a guy who doesn't really know what sex is. Like Goku or Dante.

Nah. Goku's more like Goofy, where you just assume he's completely naïve, and then after you accidentally tell a dirty joke near him, he responds with some personal incident that makes the Joyce letters sound like Sesame Street. Then he goes back to his sandwich as if he didn't say anything weird at all.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
holst has tried sex and decided that it wasnt nearly as satisfying as sparring

balthus meanwhile is like johnny bravo - he's definitely had sex, but any flirting on-screen is doomed to failure

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Balthus is tragically attracted to lesbians and will instinctively hone in on the gayest woman in the crowd. Presumably all his off-screen conquests are of women coming onto him rather than the other way around.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I was disappointed Hopes didn't give us the Balthus/Manuela support they both deserve, but it did give us Manuela shooting her shot with Jeralt, so it's all good in my books.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I was disappointed Hopes didn't give us the Balthus/Manuela support they both deserve

Hard disagree here, neither of them deserves a mutually destructive trainwreck of a relationship that would enable their worst vices

quote:

but it did give us Manuela shooting her shot with Jeralt, so it's all good in my books.

:hai: but hard agree here, that was a good showing.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Omobono posted:

Hard disagree here, neither of them deserves a mutually destructive trainwreck of a relationship that would enable their worst vices

Perhaps I should say the support we deserve, because I so badly want to see it happen. You're right it would be a trainwreck, but what a trainwreck!!!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I can’t help but wonder if the entire Arval plotline getting awkwardly swept under the rug is a repeat of how Fates removed important pieces of the plot in order to sell Revelations. The endings already scream “buy the DLC” so I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re thinking to use “find out what’s up with the shadow realm” as a selling point. I guess they need to shoehorn Nemesis in there somewhere too.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I still find it funny that, as far as we are aware, "Shez is just some guy/gal" is canon.

Deltasquid posted:

Also, I know this probably won’t be true but I hope Shez isn’t related to TWSITD or the Nabateans in any way. Just a random merc who got lucky in this timeline

Deltasquid posted:

Oh I mean like, a random merc who got chosen/rescued by Arval after the first mission in the prologue. A “it could have been anybody” kind of deal, not a “I was literally crafted by the Gods to become their vessel” kind of deal

Pureauthor posted:

Shez has ???? as their birth date, has no idea who their birth parents are, and their hometown is in the mountains of the Leicester Alliance (aka close to Shambhala)

If Shez isn't an Agarthan supersoldier project that will be a massive red herring at this point.

turns out I was right! But maybe due to dev oversight / intention to peddle us more DLC rather than artistic intent.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 1, 2022

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Deltasquid posted:

I still find it funny that, as far as we are aware, "Shez is just some guy/gal" is canon.

Some guy/gal who was a trash mob in Remire Village probably in Three Houses.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I mean they do heavily hint that their adoptive mother was Patricia/Anselma, so that's pretty important. I prefer to think that clearly what happened is Shez slept through that battle and woke up really confused.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I guess they're just some random person if you entirely ignore every hint the game drops I suppose.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Eimi posted:

He's Kiryu, simultaneously a virgin and the man with the highest body count in Kamurocho Leicester. He also has a bunch of homoerotic sworn brothers and devotes himself to his adopted daughter sister above all else.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Disagree. It's so hetero that it stack overflows to being non-hetero.

This is Balthus in a nutshell to me.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I was disappointed Hopes didn't give us the Balthus/Manuela support they both deserve, but it did give us Manuela shooting her shot with Jeralt, so it's all good in my books.

Manuela OTP is Male Shez.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's incredibly cruel how brutally Manuela turns down female Shez. "Oh, if only you were a man, then you'd be perfect for me!" Manuela please... I'm crying...

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Am I the only to burn out after finishing the Black Eagle route?

I like the story told but it gets so tedious talking to every person in town and only focusing on building relationships.

I'm too OCD to do but I wish I could make myself skip all that and just blitz through the main story. I HAVE TO use all my activitiy points. :negative:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If you want to just use your activity points it's a quick fast travel hop to the training guy and the activity guy between chapters that takes about a minute or two. You really don't gain anything tangible by manually running around and talking to everyone besides some flavor text.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
but the lore!

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I finished the Golden Deer route and start a new game+ for Black Eagles and...it's insanely easy with these late game weapons available from the beginning. Event my level 3 units who I didn't have in the last playthrough can slice through bosses if they just have a good weapon equipped.

Does maddening make up for this lack of difficulty? I'm on hard now. Or should I start over with a new game? I'm not looking for anything super challenging, but I feel like I barely have to play the game now to clear maps.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Inu posted:

I finished the Golden Deer route and start a new game+ for Black Eagles and...it's insanely easy with these late game weapons available from the beginning. Event my level 3 units who I didn't have in the last playthrough can slice through bosses if they just have a good weapon equipped.

Does maddening make up for this lack of difficulty? I'm on hard now. Or should I start over with a new game? I'm not looking for anything super challenging, but I feel like I barely have to play the game now to clear maps.

Maddening is clearly balanced for NG+ (level 100+ enemies early on, level 150+ on last map) so yeah that might solve some of it. Though your carried over units will still likely be OP given how they'll have a full playthrough of skills unlocked and while the level and base stats of enemies rise on maddening, the mook commanders don't really get more skills.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

DropsySufferer posted:

Am I the only to burn out after finishing the Black Eagle route?

I like the story told but it gets so tedious talking to every person in town and only focusing on building relationships.

I'm too OCD to do but I wish I could make myself skip all that and just blitz through the main story. I HAVE TO use all my activitiy points. :negative:

No, this is me. I finished Golden Deer, started a Black Eagles run, and then sort of... Stopped because I got irritated at how little the game seems to respect my time. I'll pick it up again, almost certainly. It just... Might... Take a while.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

On maddening, enemies after the prologue start at level 80+ early on and quickly get 100 forge weapons. Anyone getting hit by a commander takes between 50% and 300% max HP in damage.
The only saving grace against infuriating resets is that your controlled unit cannot be one shot (or one comboed) or juggled to death (it can still be juggled), automatically surviving at ~5% HP, but all damage taken still counts against rank.

However, you should have a lot of skilled units, a pile of good weapons, and access to advanced and master classes still tilting balance your way.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I tried maddening at first on my NG+ but I found not that the enemies necessarily hit too hard, but that they were horrible bags of HP and I quickly got sick of spending forever beating on them.
Trying to S rank with the amount of damage they do was pretty awful too. The idea was to forge the hell out of my best weapons and go back to Maddening but I got bored and quit playing.
Musou is great, but by hour 90 you get sorta worn out.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I think it's also partially worse by which route you're going second because AG as your second has all of two characters that can't start at level 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

On maddening I had trouble using a few of my mages since they would get destroyed by archers. Warlock Linhardt did fine though, since he was already trained and excalibur kept all the enemies occupied. I also had to go out of my way to kill the filler enemies for KOs for S ranks which could get a little tedious. I would recommend it for ng+ though if you don't want to completely overpower everything. Difficulty can be changed whenever so you might as well try it.

Edit: I should mention that my first three playthroughs were normal deer -> hard lions -> maddening eagles. The hard playthrough was kind of whatever because how easy it was but it might have been too much on maddening since my weapons were less upgraded at that point.

Genovera fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 5, 2022