Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

wheatpuppy posted:

Ok so I assumed "belloni" was some kind of specialty sausage I'd just never heard of but then I Googled it and apparently it's just loving misspelled bologna? Food-issues guy ITA for freaking out about nothing but more importantly, for not knowing the Oscar Mayer song.

I was also confused about his shared "villa", "just outside London". Unless he's holidaying in the roman occupation we're not big on villas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Fil5000 posted:

I was also confused about his shared "villa", "just outside London". Unless he's holidaying in the roman occupation we're not big on villas.

The whole thing is written very close to hair-ponytail-speech.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
AITA for leaving my sister at the airport, because she said she was coming alone but her fiance came with her too?

quote:

TA account and names changed,

So my sister Jane lives in NYC with her fiance Will while I live in Seattle, our parents live here too. She flew in to Seattle last week to visit us. Me and Jane discussed beforehand, she was coming alone (not with Will) and staying with me - I'd also be picking her up from the airport. She called me from NYC that her flight was late, I said okay and told her to call me when she arrives at Seattle airport. Jane called and me and my bf were about to leave, when she mentioned that Will was with her. I was shocked because she said she was coming alone and I hadn't made arrangements for 2 people. She said that it's not a big deal and was a last minute decision, but it felt like she was intentionally slighting me (and our parents didn't know he was coming either). I got pretty mad and told her that I wouldn't be coming to the airport to pick her up, we had a big argument over the phone and I just hung up. She ended up getting a cab to parents house and stayed there. I did see Jane but we didn't talk much (she seemed to be avoiding me). I said she can stay at my place if she wants to but she didn't, and was pretty pissed overall. My mom said it was awful of me to not pick her up from the airport. AITA?

Uh okay what's being left out of this one?

Some Redditor posted:

OP is a massive controlling AH.

Went through the comments. No issues with Will. He was in Seattle for a work trip so had his own accommodation and plans. He didn’t even need a lift from the airport. Sister explained this on the phone and for some reason OP decided not to take that at face value.

quote:

Well she mentioned she also thought she’d have to change some dinner plans they’ve made… changing a reservation from 4 to 5?! unthinkable!

artsy fartsy fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 31, 2022

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ilmucche posted:

I think you run into the problem of having to refer to them somehow.

You know how there are so many ancient romans named Septmus, octavius, etc? That's cause their names are literally "The seventh son" and "the eighth son".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kurieg posted:

You know how there are so many ancient romans named Septmus, octavius, etc? That's cause their names are literally "The seventh son" and "the eighth son".

I mean the Roman’s also weren’t terribly afraid to just name the first born the same thing each generation

It’s why there are many emperors who are only referred to by nicknames so it will be less confusing

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
And for girls they just named them after their dad. All of them, all the same!

That airport pickup lady is deeply odd; I almost wonder if there's a neurodivergence happening because I'm ND and I can't abide changes to plans, but by the time you're an adult you just kinda have to roll with certain things.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

artsy fartsy posted:

AITA for leaving my sister at the airport, because she said she was coming alone but her fiance came with her too?

Uh okay what's being left out of this one?

Ha, I fell into OP's trap and started thinking there must be something relevant left out about the fiance having history or being a lazy mooch or something. Surprise, the missing info was that OP sucks! :ms:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
AITA for going to a different hotel during my vacation with my husband?

quote:

It our first real vacation since 2020 and my first with just my husband and in over 10 years.

Our daughter Annie (17) was left home alone. For some reason recently Annie can do no right in hubby’s eyes. Dress, music, chores. He has deemed her irresponsible. It farthest from the truth. She has a summer job and makes good grades. She’s in-fact kinda a hermit for her age.

Unknown to me my husband set the hot water heater to refill only once a day while we are gone. Annie did some dishes and laundry. She took a shower and the water was cold. She was upset and thought it broke and called us panicking.

My husband yelled into her for wasting our hot water and telling her how irresponsible she was enough to make her cry.

I got madder than I ever have in this marriage and basically said most parents would love to have a 17 year old like Annie. We argued and screamed all night so next day I left the resort to a little hotel down the street. My husband as been trying to call me and I told Annie to block her father and don’t pay attention to him.

My husband is mad about the wasted money on this vacation but I can’t stand to even look at him over an argument over something so stupid and preventable.

some redditor posted:

INFO: was this a recent change? How long has this been going on or gas he always been this way? Whats his relationship like with his daughter?

OP posted:

Past few years since 2020. He’s been spending a lot of time on social media. He’ll complain about the z’s all of the time. My daughter and I normally brush him off but the last few months it’s been crazy. He’s also was pissed because one of my daughter’s favorite show’s is Umbrella Academy and he keeps going on about Elliot Page. Who care if he’s out there living his best life. He’s acting like it’s personal or something. I don’t even know anymore.

Husband got chuddified.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Barudak posted:

If were just staying in X-men comics I had a relative who almost got named Logan but that got nixed cause if they ever taked to chinese family it sounds like "Old gently caress"

Sounds like a name to grow into if you've got Chinese family.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What does 'complain about the z's' mean? I thought the chuds were all for Russia?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

CommissarMega posted:

What does 'complain about the z's' mean? I thought the chuds were all for Russia?
"Z's" = "Zoomers" = "kids today"

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

AITA for going to a different hotel during my vacation with my husband?

Husband got chuddified.

Absolutely :sever:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

HopperUK posted:

And for girls they just named them after their dad. All of them, all the same!

My Irish Catholic family in the mid-1800s' named all six of their girls Mary, and all seven of the boys either John or James. Most of them died soon after being baptised, the ones who lived to around seven or so seemed to get confirmed in the faith and given a middle name (ie, Mary Margaret and Mary Catherine).

The mother was almost perpetually pregnant over fifteen years until she died during her last pregnancy, birthing little Johns, James and Marys over and over and over. The church records of births and deaths was almost unbearably tragic. Out of the thirteen, only four lived past their tenth birthday.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Irisi posted:

My Irish Catholic family in the mid-1800s' named all six of their girls Mary, and all seven of the boys either John or James. Most of them died soon after being baptised, the ones who lived to around seven or so seemed to get confirmed in the faith and given a middle name (ie, Mary Margaret and Mary Catherine).

The mother was almost perpetually pregnant over fifteen years until she died during her last pregnancy, birthing little Johns, James and Marys over and over and over. The church records of births and deaths was almost unbearably tragic. Out of the thirteen, only four lived past their tenth birthday.

~Traditional Family Values~

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
I've met some nice ladies whose parents named them after Mortal Kombat characters (Mileena and Skarlet). Apparently the parents were such superfans that their whole lives were pretty much MK-themed. Sounded hellish.

E. seems like Skarlet was from the later games so I might have the wrong name starting with S.

nerd plus rage fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 31, 2022

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

nerd plus rage posted:

I've met some nice ladies whose parents named them after Mortal Kombat characters (Mileena and Skarlet). Apparently the parents were such superfans that their whole lives were pretty much MK-themed. Sounded hellish.

Test your Mike

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FMguru posted:

"Z's" = "Zoomers" = "kids today"

Ah, right then. I've only heard the term used for Russians, though the above usage seems extremely obvious now :shobon:

nerd plus rage posted:

I've met some nice ladies whose parents named them after Mortal Kombat characters (Mileena and Jade). Apparently the parents were such superfans that their whole lives were pretty much MK-themed. Sounded hellish.

So... how many people have they performed fatalities on?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Irisi posted:

Plot of "Angela's Ashes"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for letting leftover food stay in our hotel room and being upset that my gf calls me “you lazy piece of poo poo” for it?

quote:

My gf of 3 years called me “you lazy piece of poo poo” for not removing leftover food from our hotel room. We were staying in a beach bungalow so I didn’t want to bring it outside because I thought it might attract animals or bugs. And it was our last night so we were going to check out the next morning anyway.

At the same time, I tolerated 3 small smelling plastic bags of dog poop from her dog for a couple of days which she wouldn’t remove even though the maids would only come every other day. “That’s just dog poop, it’s not food” she said. 🤷‍♂️

She never insulted me or became abusive. Those words really shocked me. Or AITA for not just removing the food because I know how serious she is about not having leftover food in the room?

:dogstare:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for letting leftover food stay in our hotel room and being upset that my gf calls me “you lazy piece of poo poo” for it?

it USED to be food though

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Naming your kids Kite Man and Poison Ivy

Hell Yeah!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Two name things.

1. In the court of Louis XIV the daughters of the King weren't named, at all, till they were baptized at like 7-8. Before that, they toddled around the house as Madame la Première, Madame la Seconde, and so on. It didn't matter because there was nobody to call them by their first names anyway. Most people didn't have the right, and the King didn't. There were a couple who got emergency baptized on their deathbeds. As I recall, yes, if Madame la Seconde bit the dust, everybody else moved up a numeral.

2. I had a coworker who came from a Native American tribe I don't remember. It was their custom to give children child-names, then when the child grew to adulthood they choose an adult name. He decided he liked his child-name (Kee) and stuck with it.

The guy who couldn't tolerate wasting food (I agree with the goon who said it sounded like childhood food insecurity) is also "shadow-banned" and the post has been deleted. WTF, are Reddit admins shadowbanning a vasty multitude?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA For vetoing all my wifes names for a daughte

quote:

I know the title sounds kinda bad, but hear me out. My wife got pregnant in early February, and not to long ago we found outcit was going to be a girl, so we started thinking of baby names. Some of the baby names my wife wants to name her include sunshine, birdie, (yes birdie) saffron and ore. I dislike all of these names and said we should compromise on a good sounding name, but also uncommon like Athena. She said she doesn't hate it, but she's not "open for suggestions" and shes naming our daughter one of the names on the list. I told her that we can compromise on a name, but I will not let her namw pur daughter something that could possibly get her bullied. She started to cry and now she is staying at her mothers. I feel bad, but i won't let my wife namw her something like birdie because I know what its like having a weird name and don't want her to go through that. AITA?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Piell posted:

AITA For vetoing all my wifes names for a daughte

Hello, these are my children, Ore, Sheep, Wheat, Brick, and Wood.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Roberta "Birdie" Jones
Or Rebecca, or Bedelia, or Isabelle, etc. Easy nickname material.

Baronjutter posted:

A friend is named Ivy, and her siblings are Forest, Field, and Fern.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Sunshine and Saffron don't seem that bad relative to the other choices, I guess.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for telling my husband's ex wife that I'm never going to be a stepmom?

quote:

I (33F) have been with my husband Joe (42M) for 2 years, married for 3 months. Joe has a daughter Eve with his ex Kim. I didn’t fully move in until a few weeks before we married so Kim left me alone but now I’m getting an increasing number of calls about Eve.

Kim is difficult. She is weirdly controlling, demanding, overbearing & seems to feel she has authority over me. She is the primary parent because her location is way more convenient for Eve but Eve is choosing to spend more & more time at her father’s. Kim will call to tell me she should be having spinach in her eggs in the morning or that I need to enforce her bedtime or not let her bike the ½ mile to the store or whatever.

Eve is 17. She’s incredibly academically successful, an avid performer, a shelter volunteer and dedicated dog owner. She’s maintained the same close friend group since 1st grade. She’s had a boyfriend since she was 15 & their relationship is adorable. She wakes up & exercises every day on her own. I mean all this to say that she doesn’t need me breathing down her neck. Eve blows me away with how responsible & awesome she is.

Don’t misunderstand – I have a great relationship with her but I'm not going to step into this girl’s life at this age & try to parent her, especially not in the way her mom wants. I'm not saying I would or do let her do anything she wants but I’m not about to tell her what to eat or when to go to bed. That’s between her & her dad. And Joe doesn’t think it’s necessary either. But his & Eve’s approach to dealing with Kim’s demands is simply to agree to her face and then disregard and do as they wish. I realize that it’s easier but I’m not going to play these games.

So when Kim called me yet again to tell me that she didn’t want Eve to go to her friend’s party today because it might be dangerous (a pool party. In her friend’s backyard...) & I wasn’t allowed to drive her there, I told her that she was delusional. Eve was going, she’s not a baby & there was nothing dangerous about it. She started yelling about how I am a “stepmom” now, not a friend & I needed to start acting like it. I told her that I was never going to be a stepmom, I’m just her dad’s wife & that’s the relationship that’s working for all of us. I told her to stop loving calling me & to see a therapist. I stopped short of telling her that she’s trashing her relationship with Eve by being so overbearing bc it wasn’t my place but a part of me still thinks I should’ve said it bc she needs to hear it.

Kim showed up to yell at all of us in person & now Joe is super annoyed with me. He says he knows it’s not ideal but their system of just keeping Kim out of the loop has worked for them & it wasn’t cool for me to take it upon myself to shake everything up. Eve agrees with her dad & I feel bad that they’re both upset with me. I understand this has been a dynamic that worked for them for a long time. But at the same time, it feels like an unhealthy way to handle this & I don’t want to play along.

Edit: a few comments seem confused. I did not give her permission to go to the party myself; that was given by her father.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Worked with a Sunshine for a bit and she was a massive grade A raging bitch. My one mental association with that as a name.

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Saffron is an okay name I guess, it's not a very common word in everyday use, at least not in my experience. All the others are terrible.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Sunshine and Saffron don't seem that bad relative to the other choices, I guess.

In high school I knew a girl named Sunshine who had some kind of severe allergy to sunlight and got teased relentlessly over it

I think it was bad enough she had to wear a uv shirt and hat just to like, get between classes without developing a rash

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Hauki posted:

In high school I knew a girl named Sunshine who had some kind of severe allergy to sunlight and got teased relentlessly over it

I think it was bad enough she had to wear a uv shirt and hat just to like, get between classes without developing a rash

I used to work with a woman whose actual birth certificate name was Sunshine Mink, and I still chuckle when I think about that. She was pretty cool though.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for telling my husband's ex wife that I'm never going to be a stepmom?

Eve is choosing to spend more & more time at her father’s

GEE WILLIKERS I WONDER WHY?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for no longer being the maid of honour for my sister’s wedding after her fiancé humiliated me?

quote:

My sister is getting married soon to Nino. As part of the pre-wedding celebrations our family is visiting Nino’s family in Italy. My dad is very good friends with Nino’s dad and uncle as they all grew up together, so this isn’t our first-time meeting most of them.

Nino has a cousin, Luca, who I made an enemy out of when I was 9 because I told our dads that he pushed me into the water when I actually slipped and he got into a poo poo load of trouble. I haven’t seen him since we were children so I thought he would be over it by now but he very clearly wasn’t and seemed to hate my guts judging by how he looked at me.

He’s going to be Nino’s best man and since I was supposed to be the maid of honour, I thought it would be good for us to put the past behind us so I tried to apologise to him multiple times in English but he acted like he couldn’t understand and he only ever spoke Italian around me. I asked Nino to translate my apology for me but he told me it would mean more if I said it to him myself in Italian to show that I was genuinely sorry. He taught me how to say what I wanted to say but Luca was never alone so I was finding it hard to find a chance to apologise.

One day he was sitting with a group outside and Nino told me to just say it in front of everybody since Luca was avoiding me. I said it, and everybody who spoke Italian found it hilarious. I had no idea what was so funny until Luca asked me in English to repeat what I said. I tried to apologise in English but he told me to say it in Italian again. After I said it, he stood up and told me to come inside with him and he would gently caress my brains out. I was angry and embarrassed so I told him to stop being disgusting and he told me that was what I just said to him.

Nino found it hilarious, as did everybody else. I yelled at him and so did my sister. I ended up telling them I wouldn’t be the maid of honour anymore because the groom was a prick. My sister is begging me not to drop out of her wedding and has told Nino to apologise multiple times but I still don’t want to do it or be around Luca and Nino more than necessary.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if i ever end up with kids and i gotta come up with names i'm just going to look around the room and name them after whatever i've got lying around

so yall are now honorary aunts and uncles for my precious children "coffee cup" and "banana"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

blatman posted:

if i ever end up with kids and i gotta come up with names i'm just going to look around the room and name them after whatever i've got lying around

so yall are now honorary aunts and uncles for my precious children "coffee cup" and "banana"

I mean if you don't know the context, Bad Dragon is kind of a cool name. Funko! Pop not so much.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

GEE WILLIKERS I WONDER WHY?

Yeah, but OP's just stirring up pointless drama by calling the mom out like that. Just do like Dad and Eve and nod along; Eve will no doubt be getting the hell away from mom as soon as she hits 18.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Baronjutter posted:

If you have 8 or more children and someone rolls a 7 do you have to sacrifice half of them?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Das Boo posted:

A friend is named Ivy, and her siblings are Forest, Field, and Fern.

This feels so chill.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Whatever you end up naming a cat goes out the window about a month later when you start exclusively referring to them by a totally nonsense nickname.

The progression is Name --> shortened name --> nickname --> cat's name for themselves --> cat's name for themselves spoken in cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

HopperUK posted:

I recently found out the Yoruba people of Nigeria have really interesting naming conventions around twins. First twin Taiwo, second twin Kehinde. I know a few people with those names. Naming practices are cool to learn about.

Man, imagine if I had to change my name depending on who I was talking to.

(Ashkenazi and American cultures have different definitions of "firstborn" and my brother and I had some weirdness in exactly the right way to flip it)