Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crooow!
Dec 7, 2005

Abortions for some, tiny American flags for others!
The folks that ran Catalyst have known him for a long time, I think. Why do I get the feeling that they asked him to shut the gently caress up about his awful beleifs and he just wouldn't do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

What finally got him canned?

"stop"
"no"
"bye"

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Muir posted:

Rough paint scheme test for my merc company (Contrast paint and regular paint).

Higher effort version. Still want to add some orange poppies to the base for more pops of contrast.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Muir posted:

Higher effort version. Still want to add some orange poppies to the base for more pops of contrast.

Love it!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm really confused though - I thought the original Battletech political theory IS based on Federalism, Fascism and some people are just better than others based on their bloodline. Like, all the major powers including the clans follow that - the Clans just add castes to it as well. Have I been misinformed about this? The only democratic group was destroyed by the Clan invasion very deliberately.

I suppose what I'm surprised about is why it took this long.

(Note, I have no idea what the current ilKhan political culture is for anyone apart from the Wolf Clan are called out for being Hypocritical?).

Comstar fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 31, 2022

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rasalhague was no more democratic than the FWL or LC.

PhotoKirk posted:

Meh.

1st amendment. Y'all would be doing backflips if it was left-wing masturbatory fantasy.

I just want to have giant robots punch each other.

Go gently caress yourself, you piece of poo poo.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 31, 2022

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

PhotoKirk posted:

Meh.

1st amendment. Y'all would be doing backflips if it was left-wing masturbatory fantasy.

The state of this post, my god

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

This seems like the perfect time to jump into Battletech if this controversy cleans out some of the scum lol

Eyeing the Clan Heavy Star box, might just get that to paint. It appears the kinds of mechs I’m drawn to 1) are big and heavy 2) don’t look like Transformers.

I’m moving to another country in a week so everything is on hold until I get settled, though

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

PhotoKirk posted:

Meh.

I would not being doing backflips if cspam got deleted, actually

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

PhotoKirk posted:

Meh.

Well too bad. You have to burn and smash all your Battletech stuff now to show them you're not going to bend the knee to their lieberal agenda.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
My favorite Battletech book thing is the PPC drink they serve on Solaris VII, which is just four shots of grain alcohol

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Marx Headroom posted:

My favorite Battletech book thing is the PPC drink they serve on Solaris VII, which is just four shots of grain alcohol

The house variants that got listed out sound insanely disgusting

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The only ones I can remember:

2 parts grain alcohol + ouzo = FWL PPC
2 parts grain alcohol + plum wine = CapCon PPC
2 parts grain alcohol + sake = DC PPC
2 parts grain alcohol + peppermint schnapps = LC PPC

And I can't remember what the Federated Suns one was because it was something boring. It all just amounts to "grain alcohol with a very diluted flavoring agent"

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Bourbon or Tequila

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

What finally got him canned?

According to his recorded phone call conversation with Catalyst head person, it was a "feud" with another member of the BT community he got a restraining order against, and who Catalyst also canned (They were going to write for Shrapnel).

According to Catalyst it was his "online activities".

So sounds like a bit of column A and a bit of Column B.

I'll say this. Pardoe has written some of my favorite novels, and also some of my least favorite. I feel like his writing quality dropped in the last few years (Forever Faithful was okay, but all the IlClan-leadup felt rushed and half-hearted). I have zero interest in reading his crazy alt-history for the same reason I have zero interest in reading the crazy alt-histories DnD here like to tout. He definitely had some lovely opinions, I don't think that justified harassment/stalking/death threats that he got from that BT fan. he had to get a restraining order against. But Catalyst is free to release him if they see fit.

quote:

What the gently caress is a left-wing masturbatory fantasy?

Communism working, with all that entails.

EDIT: VVV Or that, lol VVV

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 31, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What the gently caress is a left-wing masturbatory fantasy?

C-spam lol

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

PhotoKirk posted:

Meh.

1st Amendment also covers freedom of association, so Catalyst is well within their rights to cut ties, so eat poo poo.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
It’s been decades since I read them, but IIRC in the original Jade Falcon trilogy the main character’s crèche mate (???) turned into a scientist caste and the epilogue had something to the effect that she was pregnant and had a free born pure born.

Did anything ever come of that thread?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Diana Pryde.

She got WoBbed of any chance of being important during the Jihad.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I'm one of the sickos who largely liked the Jihad storyline but the Donner Bombing came off as outright mean.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Said it before, and I'll say it again: the problem with killing off a bunch of characters in the Jihad is that they killed the wrong ones. The Donner bomb needed to kill the Superfriends, not a bunch of secondary characters.

The one death in the bombing that wasn't bad was Bjorn Jorgensson, though. They actually had other characters react to his death, rather than it just being "okay we've reduced the list of named characters by X"

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

From what I have seen on the official battletech forum and reddit, most seem to not care or raise a big stink about the author being fired.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
To be fair, the BG Battletech forum is heavily moderated (I had a post of mine pointing out the similarities between Brexit and what's happening to the Rasalhague Dominion (same terminology "Known Remainer", etcetera) nuked HARD. A couple other places (the CBT fb group) is an absolute mess,

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If they booted Charrette or Milan (RIP) I’d see it, but Pardoe was replacement-level.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It was cool that Pardoe would show up on the Battletech Reddit every so often with some scans of old notes he found along with explanations of internal discussions and decisions about directions the BattleTech story took. That stuff was always pretty interesting to me regardless of the downturn in his writing quality and never seemed to be tainted by CHUD bullshit.

But given how things ended up with him, it's definitely better that they severed regardless of whatever the real reason behind the scenes was.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

I for one am a fan of whatever makes Nazis feel less at home in things I like to do

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SuperiorColliculus posted:

I for one am a fan of whatever makes Nazis feel less at home in things I like to do

Agreed.

I was just curious what the last straw was since this isn't exactly new for Pardoe.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Agreed.

I was just curious what the last straw was since this isn't exactly new for Pardoe.

Stuff is 100% going on behind the scenes. There was a ton of issues with the stormcrow premiums and then they basically said "gently caress it, we're doing our own thing." There's no way there isn't a little bit of office politics here with the whole "We are starting our OWN mech-focused sci-fi military franchise" that didn't piss off more than a few people. Probably will never know for sure, but I'm sure "We are making what is effectively a direct competitor to this tiny niche in the wargaming sphere to your product, gently caress you" didn't cause some people to shake their heads.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 1, 2022

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PeterWeller posted:

Well too bad. You have to burn and smash all your Battletech stuff now to show them you're not going to bend the knee to their lieberal agenda.

That's just as stupid as when folks were smashing Dixie Chick CDs and beating their chests. It's all so tiresome.

I'm not going to agree with the personal beliefs of most of the authors, artists, actors, etc. I don't follow most of the sci-fi authors outside of their books because I don't see the need. I remember talking a bit with Pardoe back in the 90's when he posted on rec.games.mecha, but that was some questions about one of his books. I think Loren Coleman is into cryptozoology from one day when I was bored and reading up on Bigfoot. Stackpole writes the exact same characters regardless of what universe it's in (Corran Horn and Phelan Kell are almost the exact same person). Victor Milan is sorely missed.

From what I saw posted of Pardoe's book it looks just as absurd as Harrison Bergeron. Stupid as hell, but the odds of me reading it are zero.

Meh. I'm tired. I'm tired of all of it. I spent my weekend helping a friend deal with his family falling apart due to addiction. I just want to sit for a while and watch stupid impractical giant robots punch other stupid impractical robots. Especially while shooting lighting guns at each other and yelling stupid catchphrases.

I am sad that we will never see a book where Diana Pryde created the Tetae in a genetic experiment gone horribly wrong.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

SuperiorColliculus posted:

As someone with ancestors killed by Nazis, maybe we can cool it on calling anyone who whines or gripes about this situation a Nazi. Nazis like Arch are already jumping on this, so yeah I'm not saying they're not out there, but there's also just regular joes whose knowledge of BLP extends to "He wrote some cool novels I like" and are 100% unaware of any of his online activities that might lead them to not be sympathetic.

Not saying you were doing that persay, but I've seen plenty of people online right now gleeful about BLP no longer be contracted and saying anyone who raises a stink is alt-right/nazi/fascist, which is uhhh, dumb. One can be happy about CGL cutting a toxic connection without assuming everyone who doesn't agree has the absolute worst intentions possible. Seems also a bad idea to write off a bunch of folks in an already niche hobby, since it's hard enough as is to play it.

PhotoKirk posted:

Victor Milan is sorely missed.

I really like Bryan Young and Jason Schmetzer, they've written some pretty good novels lately, so there's definitely some up and coming talent CGL is hiring. I also know a guy off Social Media who's being given a full-length novel after they liked two of his Shrapnel submissions. Can't remember his name though.

PhotoKirk posted:

I am sad that we will never see a book where Diana Pryde created the Tetae in a genetic experiment gone horribly wrong.

It's called Shrapnel and you need to get on that idea submission stat.

I'm almost at a one-year anniversary for my submission, position 23 to be reviewed. One day... :sadpeanut:

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 1, 2022

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He may not be a Nazi but he is a Confederate apologist, which means he can very accurately be described as a white supremacist.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Defiance Industries posted:

He may not be a Nazi but he is a Confederate apologist, which means he can very accurately be described as a white supremacist.

Yeah, I was kind of going "?" at the "nooo our monuments nooo" stuff in Forever Faithful, but then someone in this thread(you?) said he flat out stated General Lee or Stonewall Jackson or whoever was an American hero and that kind of sealed it. Before that, it could have been "Oh, topical but done poorly" but after that, it's just confederate bullshit.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PhotoKirk posted:

I think Loren Coleman is into cryptozoology from one day when I was bored and reading up on Bigfoot.

That's a different Loren Coleman. The cryptozoologist usually comes up first in Internet searches.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 1, 2022

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Defiance Industries posted:

I wasn't talking about BLP, so much as average joe and janes who might defend him and whose base knowledge of the guy is "wrote some books I read".

I am well aware and utterly unsympathetic of his obsession with southern losers.

Thedicemustroll posted:

Yeah, I was kind of going "?" at the "nooo our monuments nooo" stuff in Forever Faithful, but then someone in this thread(you?) said he flat out stated General Lee or Stonewall Jackson or whoever was an American hero and that kind of sealed it. Before that, it could have been "Oh, topical but done poorly" but after that, it's just confederate bullshit.

I picked up on that analogy pretty quick, and while I think his basis for the analogy ("Noooo keep our statues to traitors!1"} is very bad, in the history of imperialism and conquest, destroying symbols and institutions of conquered peoples to erase their history is actually quite common. Just for a real-world example, when Poland was partitioned by Russia and Prussia (And Austria), the former two powers did everything they could to destroy any record of an independent Poland, from banning the Polish language, to melting down the crown jewels, to turning the King's Palace into a stable.

Given that every power in Battletech is an Imperialist Power in one shape or another, upon further reflection I felt the "noooo our statues" in FF was "getting it right for the wrong reasons".

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
I remember my wtf moment with BLP's confederate fanboy poo poo was first starting to read his Archer Christifori FCCW bullshit novels. He's the next Stonewall Jackson donchaknow! :downs:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I wasn't talking about BLP, so much as average joe and janes who might defend him and whose base knowledge of the guy is "wrote some books I read".

I am well aware and utterly unsympathetic of his obsession with southern losers.

I picked up on that analogy pretty quick, and while I think his basis for the analogy ("Noooo keep our statues to traitors!1"} is very bad, in the history of imperialism and conquest, destroying symbols and institutions of conquered peoples to erase their history is actually quite common. Just for a real-world example, when Poland was partitioned by Russia and Prussia (And Austria), the former two powers did everything they could to destroy any record of an independent Poland, from banning the Polish language, to melting down the crown jewels, to turning the King's Palace into a stable.

Given that every power in Battletech is an Imperialist Power in one shape or another, upon further reflection I felt the "noooo our statues" in FF was "getting it right for the wrong reasons".

Yeah. I will say some of the hyperbole I've seen regarding his confederate fapping is just pointless. My 'favorite' was someone in /btg/ saying that if you think General Lee was anything but "a retard who got lucky a lot" you are a 100% foaming at the mouth "bring back slavery" neo-confederate and uhhhh.... You're only really doing confederate propaganda if you go with the "the south had better generals and only lost to a zerg rush of manufacturing capacity, if a "fair fight" the south would have won" which is lost cause bullshit, they had bad generals too!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I was trying to fit out a King Crab for the tabletop like the "Carapace" from MW5 for a friend who's just starting and loves that thing.

I quickly learned it doesn't have the crit slots available to put two UAC/5s in each arm. No big deal, I know there's a lot of video game fits that can't work on the tabletop.

But then I realized that the stock loadout doesn't technically work either. There's 8 crits slots in an arm and an AC/20 takes up 10. Is it just a thing of developer hand-waving that 2 of the AC/20 crit slots can splash over into the torso?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

There's a rule that allows any weapon that takes up 8 or more crit slots to be split between the arm and adjacent torso.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If you don't have the core books yet, the new bundle of holding gets you these pdfs for (currently) ~ 20 bucks:

MechWarrior: Destiny
BattleTech: Total Warfare
BattleTech: TechManual
Strategic Operations
Campaign Operations
Tactical Operations: Advanced Rules

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/TotalWar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

PeterWeller posted:

There's a rule that allows any weapon that takes up 8 or more crit slots to be split between the arm and adjacent torso.

But IIRC any 'Mech that does (like the Fafnir, or the Arrow IV Catapult) can't flip their arms to fire into the reverse arc.