Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

So there's a local crazy woman on facebook who decided to cook a steak dinner for her and her boyfriend's one-year anniversary

Before...

...and after.

With added peppercorn sauce

:discourse:

Deathslinger has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Jul 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Tub peppercorn sauce at that

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I like a bit of cheddar added for certain types of pizzas, but it would be weird as the main cheese.

Earlier this month my mom made enchiladas. Now, she has two enchilada recipes, one from each of my grandmothers, and the one from her mother is really good. Except she usually puts lettuce inside the enchiladas before baking them. Anyway, I convinced her to just have lettuce on the side and she brought me a pan of enchiladas and I had some, and I couldn't taste the chicken or Grandma's enchilada sauce. All I could taste was Swiss cheese.

I asked her, "Did you put Swiss cheese on these?"
She says "Yeah, I replace the cheese with Swiss all the time. Well, not all the time."
I asked her how she came to put Swiss cheese on the enchiladas. She said that originally she was going to use some queso fresco she had in the freezer, but changed her mind at the last minute. It turns out that the queso fresco was 11 years old. But that wasn't the reason she didn't use it. The reason was, she had never used queso fresco before and she wasn't sure if it was good on Mexican food.

I try to do all the cooking around here whenever she lets me.

Anyway, Swiss cheese enchiladas are good if you like the flavor of Swiss cheese and the texture of enchiladas.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's a dry loving steak god drat. How do people gently caress it up? It's very easy too cook, make pan hot, put steak in until brown on the outside and whatever colour you like on the inside, take off, eat.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Captain Hygiene posted:

I used to get Little Caesar's occasionally for a decent cheap pizza fix, but I got one last year after a real long break and it tasted like the nastiest pile of industrial chemicals. I don't know if they had a big recipe change, my tastes moved on, or there actually was some weird poo poo that happened to that specific one, I haven't had the guts to order another one since.

It's not just your taste buds, the pizza is bad now. IMO

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Drinkslinger posted:

So there's a local crazy woman on facebook who decided to cook a steak dinner for her and her boyfriend's one-year anniversary

Before...

The :britain: flag on the packaging was a dead giveaway even before I scrolled down that some sort of meat atrocity was about to be committed.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The gently caress happened w/that steak goddam

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gotta make sure it's dead, just to be safe

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Little ditty 'bout steak diane
hard to tell the meat apart from the frying pan

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Personal AFP, I got covid and I can't smell anything, and all my favorite foods and coffee taste like cardboard. UGH!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My mother when she does barbeque insists on buying giant inch thick steaks to put on it, and somehow always manages to cook them until they're dry and brown all the way through.

Criminal honestly, give me a steak half the size and a loving frying pan. And some vegetables to brown off in the leftover steak juice.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Again, those steaks were for a romantic anniversary meal

Nothing says "I love you" like a steak that looks like it's already been digested

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh you reckon she momma-birdin'?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Brawnfire posted:

The gently caress happened w/that steak goddam

It looks like it was cut up, then pushed back together when they remembered that they hadn't taken a photo of the cooked steak yet.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"Good as new, ye'd never know"

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Those were sad steaks even before cooking - I've seen usda select ribeyes with more marbling.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

graynull posted:

The shad is on me today, nerds. Went to bake some cookies from scratch last night. Never done it before but the recipe seemed fairly simple. Everything going well till I put them in the oven and the batter just kinda melts. Next batch I tried adding some more flour to the mix to no avail. Cookies just spread across the baking sheet and had to be scraped off, not a single one survived intact and I was left with 2 plates full of cookie dust...

Cut to this morning when I realize the flour I had added from its unmarked container was not flour and was indeed powdered sugar. Actually kind of a relief in that I know what hosed up instead of trying to CSI Cookie my way to what went wrong.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm trying to imagine what the gently caress kind of dough you would get using icing sugar instead of flour.

Like it would have to be some sort of soggy paste surely?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bake cookies to "soft ball" stage,

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Some sort of hosed-up fondant?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I don't get how you'd mistake sugar for flour in the first place, they clump differently and feel differently in the hand.
Then again, I have no access to weed.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

By popular demand posted:

I don't get how you'd mistake sugar for flour in the first place, they clump differently and feel differently in the hand.

Are you just...grabbing handfuls of flour and throwing them in the mixing bowl?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Whenever I encounter an unlabeled powder in the kitchen I grab a pinch, most of the time you can figure out what it is by the texture.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Failing that you can always snort a line of it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlhVK-eMPKA
Unfortunately, it is apparently quite good.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

This may work better as a sous vide.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

King of Solomon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlhVK-eMPKA
Unfortunately, it is apparently quite good.

It's basically just a weird take on Veal Orloff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0kIxDpEq-c

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Desert Bus posted:

Failing that you can always snort a line of it.

A quick GWS crossover, for the sake of safety in comedy:

Steve Yun posted:

There’s a Dave Arnold story where he had to move his test kitchen, and when his interns found a bunch of unlabeled deli containers filled with white powder and asked him what it was, he put some of it on his tongue and it immediately started burning his taste buds, which he lost for a month. it was lye.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never wanted to know that mayonnaise could boil.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I got briefly excited until I realized it was just a homemade salad dressing recipe, rather than the terrifying snack concoction I imagine at first

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

Children in America don't need XXXXX-TRA MILD tacos. :colbert: And you can get the fun boats with regular old Mild seasoning just fine.

In other news, my kid picked up one of these for me:

Could be good; I'll try it later today. I still haven't found the Byte flavor anywhere. (Any ideas about the latest, blue WTFanta mystery flavor in the States?)

afaik Byte is not sold in stores, only online as part of an insanely overpriced collector set............................ but Dreamworld should be out soon, too :p

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

amaguri posted:

afaik Byte is not sold in stores, only online as part of an insanely overpriced collector set............................ but Dreamworld should be out soon, too :p
Well, poo poo on that!

The Marshmello stuff was fine; tasted like strawberry and watermelon, as advertised (and Coke). I probably wouldn't bother getting it again. I agree that the Coke flavor is front and center in these flavored novelties, whereas the flavor comes first in Pepsi versions. (Mango Pepsi is a favorite.)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I liked the Starlight Coke but I only ever buy soda in those little 8oz cans

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SlothfulCobra posted:

I never wanted to know that mayonnaise could boil.

It honestly kinda can't. In the video, it separated out the oil, which boiled.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The oil didn't boil, it was frying the eggs

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I liked the Starlight Coke but I only ever buy soda in those little 8oz cans

same but diet and 2 liter bottles

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

If mayo can't boil, then how do I use it in my percolator?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pickle pizza started as a novelty, but now it’s a big dill

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Wow flashbacks to when I would be starving after school and we never had any food so it was mayonnaise and whatever pre-ground pepper we had on some semi-stale bread as a sandwich. Good times.

I ate a lot of mustard sandwiches growing up. Mustard was the one food item my dad wouldn't touch and we always had bread. Syrup sandwiches too, we didn't make pancakes often enough.