Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Haven't the USSS texts already been recovered?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
No, and the prevailing notion I get is that they're actually gone forever. I haven't heard anybody advocating for a realistic recovery method yet.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
USSS I'd be surprised if it's even that many texts in question (albeit heads need to roll either way, no question there). The missing texts from DHS were from rabidly pro-trump people who had been using as much of DHS as they could as a private army in support of Trump. That's probably the bigger story that is much more likely to turn up some insane communications.

On that note, j6 committee brought in chad wolf 2 days ago so clearly the committee is feeling the same wrt DHS needing some cleansing investigative light shined its way

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/07/28/homeland-security-texts-jan6/

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Also all this documentation and records going missing sure looks an awful lot like a cover up

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Also all this documentation and records going missing sure looks an awful lot like a cover up

Yeah. It’s hard to imagine people with the broad discretionary powers of a head of a major agency having done something that’s so obviously outside the scope of their legitimate duties that you couldn’t come up with some barely passable legal cover for your actions.

Obstruction by destroying stuff you were required to maintain though? That’s pretty straight forward and should be an easy slam dunk.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

You’d think I’d be better by now, but my brain still won’t properly parse “Chad Wolf” as a name the first time.

Every time I’m waiting for the comparison to the “virgin tapir” or whatever the gently caress.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Some fun details from the 3 different documentary cameras that were running around the capitol for various reasons.

https://twitter.com/jonswaine/status/1553368045883629571

These people are incredibly lucky the DOJ is toothless and corrupt.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
How is gaetz not in handcuffs yet my god the evidence is indisputable and is right there in broad daylight

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Judge Schnoopy posted:

How is gaetz not in handcuffs yet my god the evidence is indisputable and is right there in broad daylight

His buddy has just finished cooperating and is getting sentenced later this year.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't normally toss this out or even much apply it in my day to day life but Matt Gaetz is one of those people I can just look at and he instantly triggers my rear end in a top hat Douchebag Alarm. Sorry, but on my radar he's straight out of central casting when it comes to "this character is a sleazy scumbag", someone who gets up to creepy poo poo and can't be trusted.

If you saw him in a movie, you'd know on sight that he's the double agent, a rapist, the cheating husband, some creepy used car salesman, an Amway Diamond or a scumbag preacher that fondles kids. Book/Cover for me.

In real life, he's just a lovely (sex trafficking) Republican cast from some unholy mold.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't normally toss this out or even much apply it in my day to day life but Matt Gaetz is one of those people I can just look at and he instantly triggers my rear end in a top hat Douchebag Alarm. Sorry, but on my radar he's straight out of central casting when it comes to "this character is a sleazy scumbag", someone who gets up to creepy poo poo and can't be trusted.

If you saw him in a movie, you'd know on sight that he's the double agent, a rapist, the cheating husband, some creepy used car salesman, an Amway Diamond or a scumbag preacher that fondles kids. Book/Cover for me.

In real life, he's just a lovely (sex trafficking) Republican cast from some unholy mold.

there are plenty of things i'd disagree with you on, but I'd trust your ability to spot a dirtbag more than almost anyone else in this forum

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

He really does give off that vibe. It's uncanny.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

there are plenty of things i'd disagree with you on, but I'd trust your ability to spot a dirtbag more than almost anyone else in this forum

I mean...I know it's a lovely thing to say or think and no way at all to go about sizing people up but in Matt's case it feels almost instinctual. I just nope out on sight.

I really don't go about making snap judgments on most people I meet based on their appearance but every once a while a motherfucker just gives me the creeps.

Matt Gaetz for one.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Charlie Brownishly, I am feeling the slightest tickle of hope with these DoJ referrals and Garland’s statement about pursuing charges.

I am prepared to be hurt again.

BiggerBoat posted:

I mean...I know it's a lovely thing to say or think and no way at all to go about sizing people up but in Matt's case it feels almost instinctual. I just nope out on sight.

I really don't go about making snap judgments on most people I meet based on their appearance but every once a while a motherfucker just gives me the creeps.

Matt Gaetz for one.

Jack Nicholson’s Joker face was created from latex to cause revulsion but Mama Gaetz’s poisoned womb did it for us naturally.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Matt Gaetz for one.

He looks like Robbie Rotten from Lazytown.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Warbadger posted:

He really does give off that vibe. It's uncanny.

No, I think it's quite canny, actually.

Very explicable.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
It's his incurable tuckface.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

He looks like Robbie Rotten from Lazytown.

Hey now that's unfair.

Robbie Rotten at least has some redeeming qualities :v:

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

...Matt Gaetz for one.

He's like the absolute-worst-case-scenario Jonah Ryan from Veep.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Dr. Gargunza posted:

He's like the absolute-worst-case-scenario Jonah Ryan from Veep.

Didn't even have the decency to be tall.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

Hey now that's unfair.

Robbie Rotten at least has some redeeming qualities :v:

The actor was a very cool guy (RIP) but the resemblance is eerie.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BiggerBoat posted:

It's because of how he presents himself. He constantly does the Slimy Politician Smile that's all teeth and no warmth, he deliberately wears a "Power Hairstyle" straight off of the Sleazy Businessman character from Futurama, and he frequently tries to dress in "Power Blue" suits that are associated with "trying to look professional" - usually for a misleading reason, aka Used Car Salesman. If you take those away from him, he looks like a relatively normal person:

But the instant you add them back in, he transforms into a sleazebag who'd sell you out in a heartbeat:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Jesus that transformation is like an American Werewolf in London for douchebaggery.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I sort of associate that set of changes as the male equivalent of the female Fox News Host look requirement.

edit: ugh, that striped shirt, though

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Matt Gaetz looks like every high school bully that has ever appeared on film merged themselves together and then aged several decades.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Wow that's crazy. I'm not gonna attack someone for their icky shirt; being in front of a camera hourly but not officially a movie/tv star basically means you're going through five shirts a day but honestly who cares; spend your time on more important things.

It gives me an idea though: All ads for politicians shall henceforth be without makeup. Photos must be from 5min after the candidate wakes up. (Or in other words, "tell me how many stripes are on the flag, and if you claim this country should be like 1832 then recite the pledge from that year, and tell me what Jefferson thought about slaves"; otherwise you don't deserve my vote and who cares about your hair.)

ps Just watched The Canine Mutiny. Major Trump vibes from the testimony of Lt Cmdr Queeg.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

The Canine Mutiny.

Third movie in Hitchcock's The Birds cinematic universe.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Nameless Pete posted:

Didn't even have the decency to be tall.

Can't let this go by without the Jonah nicknames list:

Jonad
Jizzy Gillespie
Jack and the Giant Jackoff
Gaylien
Tinkerballs
Wadzilla
One Erection
The Pointless Giant
Jimpanzee
The 60-Foot Virgin
Jono Ono
Hagrid’s Nutsacks
Scrotum Poll
12 Years a Slave to Jerking Off
Benedict Cum-In-His-Own-Hand
Guyscraper
The Cloud Botherer
Supercalifragilisticexpialidickcheese
Teenage Mutant Ninja rear end in a top hat
Spewbacca

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
You left off my favorite.

The Colossus of Chodes

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Kith posted:

It's because of how he presents himself. He constantly does the Slimy Politician Smile that's all teeth and no warmth, he deliberately wears a "Power Hairstyle" straight off of the Sleazy Businessman character from Futurama, and he frequently tries to dress in "Power Blue" suits that are associated with "trying to look professional" - usually for a misleading reason, aka Used Car Salesman. If you take those away from him, he looks like a relatively normal person:

But the instant you add them back in, he transforms into a sleazebag who'd sell you out in a heartbeat:

You're screwing with me, that's got to be someone else. Or him like 10 years ago. Or shopped. Or him before the brain parasite was transferred to the new host.

Jeez, that's wild.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I think a massive part of it is that he isn't... "smiling"? in the first picture. His smile looks like someone who had the concept of a smile explained to them, but had never actually seen one.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Randalor posted:

I think a massive part of it is that he isn't... "smiling"? in the first picture. His smile looks like someone who had the concept of a smile explained to them, but had never actually seen one.

At some point after his first term he ordered an image consultant because he looked exactly like the kind of guy who lived in a dorm room when he first got to Washington.

And he did, but my Google fu is weak right now. There’s a video of him showing off his first living space and the only thing missing was the two girls kissing poster that every guy his age had on their wall.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Kith posted:

These are the kinds of things that a section of old people LOVE, and that's why this group of people does this. It's something they can get certain voters on, while also happening to repel other voters.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Now that's what I call gumption.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Nameless Pete posted:

Third movie in Hitchcock's The Birds cinematic universe.
The birds don't actually leave, much like the Trump/maga crowds, so the world probably doesn't return to normal, but I have to wonder what happens in the second movie. :ohdear:

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

AsInHowe posted:

These are the kinds of things that a section of old people LOVE, and that's why this group of people does this. It's something they can get certain voters on, while also happening to repel other voters.

I remember waiting in a dealership for my car to get maintenance a few years back. They had fox on the tv and Gaetz was on, he was speaking about some red meat topic and what struck me was how he was doing it. Eyes into the camera, this slow and reassuring way, like you'd talk to your terrified grandma. I can totally see olds seeing that, his dumb hair, big smile and suit and thinking "what a nice young man". Meanwhile those of us with functioning social warning instincts are receiving the message of :stonklol::hf::barf:

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Kith posted:

Thinking about it now Gaetz is exactly the kind of dude who probably followed Trump around and copied his style like Charlie Sheen did Michael Douglas in Wall Street. And when you look at Gaetz's behavior/comments he's pretty clearly attempting to ape Trump's belligerent, "always attack/never apologize" media persona.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

No, and the prevailing notion I get is that they're actually gone forever. I haven't heard anybody advocating for a realistic recovery method yet.

If they were SMS messages, then they exist on a server somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Randalor posted:

Everyone one of this right wing a-holes has the exact same look when they "smile": a massive straining grin, and an absolutely blank and lifeless shark-eyed stare bereft of the simple joy they're desperately trying to convey to you that they're ostensibly feeling. It's utterly chilling when you recognize it.