Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
bias is when you don't declare, unprompted, on a different podcast, 'North Korea isn't perfect' enough times.

Even though in that podcast they said 'obviously North Korea is hardly a 'free' country by any western standard' explicitly, the fact that they mentioned the objective historical facts like 'the first Korean election was actually North Korean and South Korea was the military dictatorship for a good bit' and 'the imaginary line North Korea 'crossed' was invented by western generals and no Korean on either side acknowledged it and in fact South Korea had been murdering North Koreans for months before' is doing a bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

bias is when you don't declare, unprompted, on a different podcast, 'North Korea isn't perfect' enough times.

Even though in that podcast they said 'obviously North Korea is hardly a 'free' country by any western standard' explicitly, the fact that they mentioned the objective historical facts like 'the first Korean election was actually North Korean and South Korea was the military dictatorship for a good bit' and 'the imaginary line North Korea 'crossed' was invented by western generals and no Korean on either side acknowledged it and in fact South Korea had been murdering North Koreans for months before' is doing a bias.

Sorry I didn't do enough gushing praise, maybe you'd prefer for me to prostrate myself and cry while calling them dear podcasters. Really I enjoyed the episode and feel like I learned from it, and again I said I think it's a useful counterpoint to the traditional narrative, so I don't know why you're so upset that I said they're coming from a clearly biased perspective. It's not something they're trying to hide. As I said, I haven't listened to the whole podcast myself (at least yet), and I'm not an expert on the subject who's going to do a full fact check, but it seems like they're attempting to do serious work. I just think it's worth keeping in mind that there's going to be a bit of a filter here even if they take efforts to be accurate about what they do cover.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yes, you're describing the entirety of studying history, it's weird to 'remind us' that the people doing it are indeed humans

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cool, glad we solved this crisis of someone talking about your favorite podcast in a way that you found objectionable.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Cool, glad we solved this crisis of someone talking about your favorite podcast in a way that you found objectionable.

ok but the problem is! you havent listened to that podcast! instead you listened to another garbage podcast and assumed it was close enough!! ahhh!!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Desperately insisting that you’re not mad you got told is a very cool look and we are all glad to hear your unrelated and uninformed opinions on things

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

rotinaj posted:

Desperately insisting that you’re not mad you got told is a very cool look and we are all glad to hear your unrelated and uninformed opinions on things

I don't really think the podcasters themselves talking about their podcast on another podcast one of them used to produce is entirely unrelated, but ymmv. If I "got told" for offering a relatively mild opinion about the hosts (while still kind of recommending the show for offering an atypical perspective if people are interested in the topic), I guess I'll have to find a way to live with that, but I really don't understand what you're so worked up about. :shrug:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
oh for christs sake this is just going in circles can we just drop it

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone have any reccomendations for a podcast about medieval spain? It seems like an interesting period of time but its a bit of a blank spot for me.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Reconquista?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

I’ll check it out, thanks

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Seconded - the person seems to be pretty on the level.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Any decent german history podcasts?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

buglord posted:

Any decent german history podcasts?

Geschichten aus der Geschichte is very popular, but I don't like their style personally.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Since it's the recommendation minute, anything on Argentina? A lot of my history podcasts have covered bits and pieces, but I'd like to know the specifics of how everything went sideways.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm listening to Our Fake History and I'm really liking it. I find a lot of history podcasts too dry or overwhelming. Weirdly the only other history podcast I have gotten this obsessed with was fall of civilizations which is quite dry and very thorough to the point of overwhelm. I guess I don't have a lot of history knowledge and a bunch of bronze Age and early iron age history is very new to me. Anyway I'm nearly out of Our Fake History and I'm looking for something fun and conversational but maybe a bit more focused if that makes sense?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Historical Blindness

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm listening to Our Fake History and I'm really liking it. I find a lot of history podcasts too dry or overwhelming. Weirdly the only other history podcast I have gotten this obsessed with was fall of civilizations which is quite dry and very thorough to the point of overwhelm. I guess I don't have a lot of history knowledge and a bunch of bronze Age and early iron age history is very new to me. Anyway I'm nearly out of Our Fake History and I'm looking for something fun and conversational but maybe a bit more focused if that makes sense?

IMO it's the one to beat. If you find something let me know!

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I think what helps offset the Fall of Civilizations being so very dry is that he brings in other people to read letters and poetry, and plays music. If it was just him reading, then it would be a lot more boring, but the varied actors liven it up a little.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

What keeps me on board is when he says "let's go back to the very beginning..." and you're thinking like, aight we taking a trip to the bronze age, but then he starts talking about the Protozoan Era and formation of oceans and poo poo

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

VictualSquid posted:

Geschichten aus der Geschichte is very popular, but I don't like their style personally.

im sorry I should have clarified, english podcasts about german history.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I couldn't really get into Fall of Civilizations, and personally I like dry. Is there an episode people would recommend as a highlight?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I got to admit it’s a bold strat to just assume something is biased because it doesn’t tell the narrative you want…while never actually listening to the thing to confirm it one way or another.

Like most people would have the courtesy to pretend it wasn’t just personal axe grinding. You embrace it

I've had like 3 or 4 arguments in various threads over the years where I've been the one pushing that a lot of the narrative we have in the US surrounding the Korean War and the Korean division is a load of crap, but at least the way the arguments in that podcast got laid out here have me hum'ing pretty seriously.

That podcast shot to the top of my list in any case though, I am curious to hear what they actually have to say.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Koramei posted:

I couldn't really get into Fall of Civilizations, and personally I like dry. Is there an episode people would recommend as a highlight?.

My favourite was ep 4 about Greenland Vikings

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I really enjoyed the Fall of Civ episode about Byzantium, and the Aztec one is pretty good too.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Han China is my personal favorite FoC episode

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I enjoyed the Sumerians and the most recent one!

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I second the Sumerians and Aztec. The Aztec in particular I found to be so sad for some reason that I had to pause for a while and come back to it, and it's rare that a piece of media has that effect on me.

I don't think it's dry at all, but maybe I'm used to it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
because I'm a complete history noob I enjoyed the Bronze Age Collapse episode. Real great intro to both the series and a further exploration of antiquity for me.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

evilpicard posted:

Historical Blindness

The host has the flattest presentation I've ever heard. Just the most monotonous of monotones. It's almost impressive, really.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I really enjoyed the Vijanagara episode of Fall of Civilizations because it was about something I knew very little about, and the end was pretty dramatic — going from a huge, thriving center of commerce to total collapse in less than a generation. Its capital now being a completely abandoned ruin now, there's something romantic about that. Plus it's so recent compared to most of the other ones.

Besides, probably because it's so recent, the different rulers come out as having different personalities and styles. With something like Assyria it's hard to imagine the rulers as anything but cold stone reliefs just going from one poorly recorded campaign to the next.

Grevling fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 8, 2022

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Conflicted might be worth a look, the Kill Yamamoto two-parter is great and I'm really enjoying the current series on the partition of India.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

kiminewt posted:

I'm on episode 6 of the first (Iraq) season. The jovial tone is enough to make me listen with a grain of salt anyway.

I'll see what I think when I reach season 3 (I'll probably skip the second) but I listened to the Korean War season of When Diplomacy Fails so I'm already well-versed in listening to not-exactly-mainstream takes on that.

I definitely wouldn’t call the tone “jovial”. Just listened to the episode on the US marines and officers massacring fleeing refugees and assassinating thousands of political prisoners, photographed for posterity that would compare the images to that of the Nazi holocaust. It was pretty somber. The western media narrative was that the KPA did the massacring until it was finally declassified in the late 90s that it was explicitly Americans who did it in a coordinated extermination.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Patrick Wyman got a gig as a talking head on the new History Channel miniseries about the Colosseum.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Danger posted:

I definitely wouldn’t call the tone “jovial”. Just listened to the episode on the US marines and officers massacring fleeing refugees and assassinating thousands of political prisoners, photographed for posterity that would compare the images to that of the Nazi holocaust. It was pretty somber. The western media narrative was that the KPA did the massacring until it was finally declassified in the late 90s that it was explicitly Americans who did it in a coordinated extermination.

Jovial was definitely the wrong word, but it does have a joking/less serious tone at times which helps me accept that they're not trying to be The Objective History.

I finished the Iraq season and started the Korean one. Oddly little mention of the USSR but I assume that starts in later episodes.

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
I really liked the Russian history podcast, but he hasn't posted a new episode in over a year. Not sure if it was recent Russian history causing him to stop...

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
What's the deal with Blowback season 3? Are the main episodes ever going to be free like previous seasons or not?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I bought the third season. They don't mention anything about it, so possibly not?

Currently three-quarters into the third episode. I don't want to revive the previous decision but if there's any moment where the podcast feels like "AMERICA BAD, EVERYONE ELSE GOOD" it's this one.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

treat posted:

What's the deal with Blowback season 3? Are the main episodes ever going to be free like previous seasons or not?

I only recently listened to S3E1 and my impression was that episode 1 was free, everything else you’d have to pay for (unlike previous seasons where you’d get everything free eventually).

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

treat posted:

https://twitter.com/blowbackpod/status/1554853750086549504?s=20&t=q_YnccQk1Cg_4p-Ix8CvPw

Looks like it comes out eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

:siren: New podcast alert :siren:

The Rest Is History just dropped a promotional episode for Empire, which is a podcast about the British East India Company plundering the Indian subcontinent (supposedly it will be a podcast about other empires as well but there are exactly two episodes out so far).

I don't know much about the subject matter so I can't unequivocally say THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED but it's a pretty good podcast so far. Good production, engaging storytelling, and it seems like they have a plan to get through the story in a fairly timely manner. It seems like a good addition to my rotation and the first two episodes flew right by.