Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

How to balance dwarves: just buff Grimgrog. Every time it comes up in the thread, it's another buff for Grimgrog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Grimgrog starts out with the Sword of Khaine stat buffs. He can pick up another sword and the buffs stack. :hmmorks:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Actually, now that grimgog has been moved quite far away who do people think arghy will complain is invincible next.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Dorfs pay Grimgor reparations for all the greenskin slaves taken by chorfs.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Carcer posted:

Actually, now that grimgog has been moved quite far away who do people think arghy will complain is invincible next.

Grimgrog is everywhere.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Carcer posted:

Skarsnik got moved to Mount Gunbad, which is about the same distance from Karaz-a-Karak as Black Crag.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Funnily enough, one of the usual Youtubers was predicting that Grimgor's often just going to die early now. Namely because he starts right next to Kholek, early game Orcs do not do well against Chaos Warriors and Dragon Ogres (let alone Kholek himself), he's no longer in Black Crag for easy Black Orc access, and he's no longer got all the easy confederation options around. Plus when Chaos Dwarfs come in that'll be a hostile faction to his south too. Alternatively, maybe the AI will manage to stay friendly with Kholek - that's a possibility too.

In general though, it definitely looks like a harder start. Maybe he'll get a great starting army.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
They'll probably move the Black Orc easy access over to his new province and unless they fix the Waaagh bug then Grimgor will be the only greenskin LL to actually get them and double armies are pretty busted for AR. Does need 10-20 turns to build up for the first one though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, their concern was Dragon Ogres might just wander over within those first few turns since it's literally next door. Sneaky Stabbers can kind of help against Chaos Warriors, but what does early game Orcs actually have to deal with Dragon Ogres and Kholek?

edit: In terms of AR, pretty sure that's all fairly heavily weighted too.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Will the waaagh armies still have the delay like the other reinforcements? And are khorne factions still going to have chaos warrior halberds after the update?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

They could toss two units of Big'uns into Grimgor's starting stack. 1 Blorks, 2 Big'uns. It's almost too much for a starting elite set but hey that's a tough start.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Lord Koth posted:

Yeah, their concern was Dragon Ogres might just wander over within those first few turns since it's literally next door. Sneaky Stabbers can kind of help against Chaos Warriors, but what does early game Orcs actually have to deal with Dragon Ogres and Kholek?

edit: In terms of AR, pretty sure that's all fairly heavily weighted too.

squig herds, squig hoppas, little waagh

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Kanos posted:

Skarsnik got moved to Mount Gunbad, which is about the same distance from Karaz-a-Karak as Black Crag.

Early game skarsnik is actually worse than grimgog if he keeps his early access to nasty skulkers because they shred dwarf warriors. Grimgog is just play keep away with your lords until he gets army losses. If you play with mixu gunbad already had an ork LL that was a bitch and a half to deal with--it was the same guy who had black crag in the lore i forgot his name but if you left him alone long enough he has a sword that gives him regen.

I haven't seen the map in detail but i'm pretty sure grimgog starts fairly far away from kholek because it looks like a winding mountain path that'd be a bitch to traverse without underway and kholek has the open chaos wastes to go into. The new map and the fact that there's actual legit threats on both sides of the worlds edge mountains means it's gonna be pretty nuts and the passes are gonna be a big deal once the AI begins death balling. Ungrims gonna have some intense battles with whoever wins in the darklands because AI can't use the sea lanes so they'll be slogging it through your territories.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Arghy posted:

Early game skarsnik is actually worse than grimgog if he keeps his early access to nasty skulkers because they shred dwarf warriors. Grimgog is just play keep away with your lords until he gets army losses. If you play with mixu gunbad already had an ork LL that was a bitch and a half to deal with--it was the same guy who had black crag in the lore i forgot his name but if you left him alone long enough he has a sword that gives him regen.

I haven't seen the map in detail but i'm pretty sure
grimgog starts fairly far away from kholek because it looks like a winding mountain path that'd be a bitch to traverse without underway and kholek has the open chaos wastes to go into. The new map and the fact that there's actual legit threats on both sides of the worlds edge mountains means it's gonna be pretty nuts and the passes are gonna be a big deal once the AI begins death balling. Ungrims gonna have some intense battles with whoever wins in the darklands because AI can't use the sea lanes so they'll be slogging it through your territories.

:shuckyes:

I've gone over this a couple times and it honestly never stops being funny

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Grimgrog is surrounded by minor Ork factions that he can krump and confederate super easily though, isn't he? At least until the Cooler Dwarves show up and introduce him to the daemon capitalist ownzone

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arghy posted:

Early game skarsnik is actually worse than grimgog if he keeps his early access to nasty skulkers because they shred dwarf warriors.

What?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I'm trying to parse that still and the only way that nasty skulkers shred a dwarf warrior is if you let them flank your dwarf warriors.

That only happens if greenskins have more units than you or you hosed up as a dwarf.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

DaysBefore posted:

Grimgrog is surrounded by minor Ork factions that he can krump and confederate super easily though, isn't he? At least until the Cooler Dwarves show up and introduce him to the daemon capitalist ownzone

If the RoC map is anything to go off, not really. For minors, it is lots of ogres and skaven, couple daemon factions. Might be able to push through some weaker lines there to orcs in the blasted wastes/plains of zhar or w/e, but its gonna be a bit of an ugly start. Which good, that grimgor. But it's only gonna get worse with Chorfs

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Also for fun, was looking up the mass of dragon ogres and green skin units.

Dragon ogres have slightly more mass than trolls.

Stone trolls have less mass the normal trolls.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Uh i'm not sure if you know this but green skin replenishment is way better than yours so as dawi if you've lost 50% of your unit then you'll be fighting a full strength greenskin army in a few turns while you'll be lucky to get back 10% of said unit. If you take massive casualties as in an unaided dwarf warrior vs a skulker that unit might as well have died because that AI army will replenish to full in a few turns so unless you can wipe it out to stop them from replenishing you're dead. I've had to restart multiple campaigns because of replenishment where 2 armies stay out of reach wearing your army down.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

What if you had some way to deal damage with a resource that filled to 100% between battles and it let you deal damage with little risk, and even that little risk was met with a really strong front line to screen for it? Also the greenskins were classically weak at this method of warfare in most cases. But alas, the ancestors frown upon breaks from tradition, and designing tiny axes we can launch from taut strings is for wazzoks.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

We need an arghy lets play.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

Funnily enough, one of the usual Youtubers was predicting that Grimgor's often just going to die early now. Namely because he starts right next to Kholek, early game Orcs do not do well against Chaos Warriors and Dragon Ogres (let alone Kholek himself), he's no longer in Black Crag for easy Black Orc access, and he's no longer got all the easy confederation options around. Plus when Chaos Dwarfs come in that'll be a hostile faction to his south too. Alternatively, maybe the AI will manage to stay friendly with Kholek - that's a possibility too.

Why wouldn't there be confederation options in his new location? We don't know what minor factions are around. You wouldn't necessarily see him as having had a bunch of easy confederation targets in the old ME setup if all you had to go on were the playable factions starting locations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Dwarven start is so hard, I say, as I load up the Workshop and open palm slam the mod that adds a poorly-balanced Legendary Lord three turns away from my capital

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arghy posted:

Uh i'm not sure if you know this but green skin replenishment is way better than yours so as dawi if you've lost 50% of your unit then you'll be fighting a full strength greenskin army in a few turns while you'll be lucky to get back 10% of said unit. If you take massive casualties as in an unaided dwarf warrior vs a skulker that unit might as well have died because that AI army will replenish to full in a few turns so unless you can wipe it out to stop them from replenishing you're dead. I've had to restart multiple campaigns because of replenishment where 2 armies stay out of reach wearing your army down.

I'm still unclear on how you're taking massive casualties to nasty skulkers.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Arghy posted:

I haven't played Dawi in a while, but aren't dwarf infantry primarily known for their toughness, taking forever to grind down in a one-on-one head-on infantry battle so that their ranged have plenty of time to clean up?

Dwarf Warriors' melee defense is more than double that of Night Skulkers, and their leadership is substantially better as well. As long as you're careful not to get flanked, the dwarves shouldn't have any trouble holding out.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Third World Reagan posted:

Also for fun, was looking up the mass of dragon ogres and green skin units.

Dragon ogres have slightly more mass than trolls.

Stone trolls have less mass the normal trolls.

They've significantly reworked masses for game 3 if you weren't aware/not looking at what numbers we have for game 3 yet.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
This is what arghy does. He goes to every games thread, finds the dumbest stuff to complain about specifically to troll people into offering actual useful advice which he ignores gleefully as he thinks of dumber things to say to get another round of reactions.

If mod challenges were still a thing I would love one to actually force him to show what the gently caress he's doing to prove he actually even plays the games in the way he says he does and isn't just making things up.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I mean i only have over 500 hours of dwarf game play with and without mods, what would i know? :allears:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Not much apparently.

See it's fun to mock Arghy too.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Arghy posted:

I mean i only have over 500 hours of dwarf game play with and without mods, what would i know? :allears:

Please do some youtube stuff or something to prove you actually play how you say you do. I cannot believe a single person is so omniwrong about every game he has ever played.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arghy posted:

how have you not learned anything

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

TaintedBalance posted:

They've significantly reworked masses for game 3 if you weren't aware/not looking at what numbers we have for game 3 yet.

Yah just don't have access to all the unit info yet.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I hope they buff the beejeezus out of Skarsnik and make him my favorite lord again. Gobbla should be an extra super tough unit like Krell.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Arghy I'll give you 30 bucks to do this

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

:dudsmile:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'd love the Arghy lets play, it's interesting to see how other people make decisions in battles or what value they put in tech/buildings/army comps in campaign that I'd never think twice or even once about. I mean I don't want to toot my own horn and act like I can fix any campaign or individual battle like Legend

so I won't

But perhaps it might be fun if we demonstrated some of our own vaunted Warham techniques, a group showcase of tackling famous issues like Thorgrim/Grombrindal's WH2 ME start. Maybe we can show Arghy how the other side lives since I don't think he's ever going to close his mod list and give an honest showing of his average battle. I do want to say well beforehand that yes, Dawi WH2 ME is a really rough start very often and a big part of many VH campaign difficulty ME campaigns is accepting that you can get RNG'd into a death spiral.

I'd have to reinstall Warham 2 myself I think, or we could start at Warham 3, but eh really, it'd be fun to see some strategy talk for how folks handle things differently. I'm definitely a bit robotic in my decision making since I've "cracked" the code for the most part in these games. I saved at least three of my more stellar Nurgle garrison defense replays where I won defenses I had no right to just by clever set-ups and movement, stuff like that to share.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Arghy posted:

Does Thorek have drastically increased replenishment, cause this was literally never an issue in my recent campaign. I dont recall any unit taking longer than 2-3 turns to fully replenish from near dead except the one time I pushed into a red climate province. Even then, when I realized it would have taken 10 turns to replenish, i just crossed the border to a nearby green climate area and everything was fixed

Also, couldnt you just merge all the injured units and recruit new ones if it was taking more than 5 turns to replenish? Even with just global recruitment, itd still be worth it if you needed that army ASAP

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MonsterEnvy posted:

High Elves, Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, and Lizardmen.

I should note on this, I did not notice I was replying to Arghy. So this was not even intended to be me messing with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Also, couldnt you just merge all the injured units and recruit new ones if it was taking more than 5 turns to replenish? Even with just global recruitment, itd still be worth it if you needed that army ASAP

Legit hate how people never do this and instead just complain about bad replenishment. Hire new dudes, FFS, it's not like you'll be starving for cash if you're still winning fights thanks to post-battle loot