Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
havana syndrome was actually done by placing homeopathic amounts of fentanyl dust on railings around embassies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

they put tiny microspeakers that whispered "fentanyl" and caused neurological damage from constant microdosing of the word fentanyl

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

as much as they ask for

Use the example of blue City democrats, merely giving them everything they want makes you look soft on crime. You have to keep giving them more money after they tell you to stop.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

as much as they ask for

personal MRAPs

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Remulak posted:

CIA saying that Havana Syndrome doesn’t exist makes me go back to my original thesis, it IS real and it’s a result of some SIGINT fuckery being done in embassies by some US TLA.

No that's stupid.

I know this is the stupid tenuous connection thread, but that's real dumb.

It does not even qualify as a loving syndrome, by the already very flexible definition of that word.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

ikanreed posted:

No that's stupid.

It does not even qualify as a loving syndrome, by the already very flexible definition of that word.

I think it could be something said in jest

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I thought Havana Syndrome was just alcoholism

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ikanreed posted:

No that's stupid.

There was a real case of NSA agents getting their brain microwaved in Russia in the 1990s. Now their symptoms and experience is vastly different than the cricket-hearing-headache-having CIA losers of today, but the underlying concept is valid.

(which is why it was such a powerful mass psychogenic illness, the whisper campaign was validated by the 1990s case while the details themselves are classified so the CIA nerds could whip themselves into a frenzy *thinking* they got mind beamed when probably nothing of the sort happened.)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Endman posted:

I thought Havana Syndrome was just 28 untested vaccines all being slammed into them in a 24 hour span, followed by a 3 day bender

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

There was a real case of NSA agents getting their brain microwaved in Russia in the 1990s. Now their symptoms and experience is vastly different than the cricket-hearing-headache-having CIA losers of today, but the underlying concept is valid.

this sounds literally unbelievable to me but I’d like to find out more…

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/k4mil1aa/status/1553566031691452416?t=dKfvF4V-ybbtqZAo38Ohmg&s=19

Depp trying to live that Hunter Biden life

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Phew glad to be on team Amber rn

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
gen x can't fucken post for poo poo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

this sounds literally unbelievable to me but I’d like to find out more…

You can dive into the reporting a bit but here's something to skim:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/02/havana-syndrome-nsa-officer-microwave-attacks-since-90s

quote:

An NSA statement declassified in 2014 for Beck’s work injury compensation case stated: “The National Security Agency confirms that there is intelligence information from 2012 associating the hostile country to which Mr Beck traveled in the late 1990’s, with a high powered microwave system weapon that may have the ability to weaken, intimidate or kill an enemy, over time, and without leaving evidence.

“The 2012 intelligence information indicated that this weapon is designed to bathe a target’s living quarters in microwaves, causing numerous physical effects, including a damaged nervous system.”

Beck is still not allowed to name the hostile country he visited in 1996, but said he and a colleague, Charles “Chuck” Gubete, had gone to make sure a US diplomatic building under construction was not bugged.

“It was a sensitive assignment,” Beck told the Guardian. “So we knew what we were getting into from the standpoint of the hostile country being a critical threat environment.”

On arrival, he and Gubete were detained at the airport and then put up in adjoining rooms in a budget hotel after their release.

On their second day on the project, they expanded their sweep to a neighbouring building and came across what he calls “a technical threat to the equity we were there to protect”.

They reported the device to their superiors and left it in place. The next day, they were passed a message from a local translator working with the Americans that the host country authorities, in Beck’s words, “had seen what we did and that was not a good thing”.

The next day, Beck said: “I woke up and I was really, really groggy. I was not able to wake up routinely. It was not a normal event. I had several cups of coffee and that didn’t do a thing to get me going.”

The symptoms passed by the time Beck and Gubete returned to the US. But 10 years later, when Beck was in the UK, on secondment to General Communications Headquarters (GCHQ), Britain’s NSA counterpart, he came down suddenly with crippling symptoms.

“The right side of my body started freezing up. I was limping and I couldn’t move my arm,” he said. He was referred to a neurologist who diagnosed Parkinson’s. At the time, Beck was 45.

Shortly afterwards, he was visiting NSA headquarters and happened to bump into Gubete. Beck was shocked by what he saw.

“He was walking like an old man,” he recalled. “He was slumped over and walking really awkwardly. I went up to him and said: ‘What’s going on?’”

Within a few days, Gubete, 55 at the time, was diagnosed with the same form of Parkinson’s disease as Beck.

“I’ve worked in counter-intelligence for the predominance of my career,” Beck said. “I thought this is not coincidental that we’re both presenting the same variant of Parkinson’s at the same time. This is not happenstance.”

The cause of their shared plight was a total mystery to Beck until 2012 when he saw US intelligence communications about a microwave weapon with potentially debilitating neurological effects developed by the country he and Gubete visitedtogether.

He was able to get part of that intelligence declassified for his labor department claim in 2014 – but by then it was too late for Gubete. He had died at home, of a suspected heart attack the previous year.

now that's a vastly different case than the Havana dweebs. Beck & Gubete were in Russia, staying in hotel rooms assigned them by Russia, specifically loving with microwave based bugs, personally pissed off some KGB dudes, and all during a time when poo poo in Russia was kinda falling apart and retaliation is more plausible. Also their symptom set is vastly different, and quickly went away after they left the microwave oven, versus the Havana symptoms that could happen randomly at secure locations like the White House.

but its existence is enough to cause the rumor mill to start churning as soon as someone who is hearing crickets learns about this case in Russia in the 90s, a textbook source for MPI.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

You can dive into the reporting a bit but here's something to skim:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/02/havana-syndrome-nsa-officer-microwave-attacks-since-90s

now that's a vastly different case than the Havana dweebs. Beck & Gubete were in Russia, staying in hotel rooms assigned them by Russia, specifically loving with microwave based bugs, personally pissed off some KGB dudes, and all during a time when poo poo in Russia was kinda falling apart and retaliation is more plausible. Also their symptom set is vastly different, and quickly went away after they left the microwave oven, versus the Havana symptoms that could happen randomly at secure locations like the White House.

but its existence is enough to cause the rumor mill to start churning as soon as someone who is hearing crickets learns about this case in Russia in the 90s, a textbook source for MPI.

thank you for posting it. what makes this claim more believable if it’s only NSA saying the country had a microwave? it seems like it could be anything. even bad drugs can cause Parkinsonism. there’s nothing trustworthy to me about the account but maybe I should read more closely. it’s about as believable as Havana syndrome imo.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

thank you for posting it. what makes this claim more believable if it’s only NSA saying the country had a microwave? it seems like it could be anything. even bad drugs can cause Parkinsonism. there’s nothing trustworthy to me about the account but maybe I should read more closely. it’s about as believable as Havana syndrome imo.

so Beck & Gubete were assigned to find bugs in the then under construction moscow embassy, the embassy so riddled with bugs they eventually had to demolish the top floors and rebuild them. the use of microwave based bugs is common practice both by the KGB and the CIA.

unlike the Havana cases, Beck & Gubete were in a place with known microwave transmitters, likewise unlike Havana, Beck & Gubete were staying in a hotel selected by their Russian hosts as part of their cover as embassy staff.

also it took years of fighting the NSA before Beck got them to admit he was injured on the job and pay out, versus the Havana cases where they got free money for very little hassle, that alone is validating in my eyes.

i agree there isn't conclusive evidence, but it all seems very plausible, especially in the context of 1996, when morale inside the KGB must have been pretty low that Beck & Gubete got their brains hotpocketed not as some giant scheme by Russia, but as low level retaliation.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
https://shopgoodwill.com/item/148674200
I got sniped at the last minute :(
The one that got away

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wait what manson is this

e: i feel like i must be the only american who managed to not learn any details about the johnny depp trial

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

wait what manson is this

probably marilyn manson

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

probably marilyn manson

hell yeah, that owns that the two most insanely drugged up freaks in the celeb universe are hanging out and snorting more cocaine and smoking more meth than anyone in the world

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

hell yeah, that owns that the two most insanely drugged up freaks in the celeb universe are hanging out and snorting the most cocaine and smoking the most meth out of any anyone in the world

i'm also laughing that depp signs his messages "jimmy drip"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

hell yeah, that owns that the two most insanely drugged up freaks in the celeb universe are hanging out and snorting more cocaine and smoking more meth than anyone in the world

depp posted:

I once gave Marilyn Manson a pill so that he would stop talking so much.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Mola Yam posted:

gen x can't fucken post for poo poo

probably the worst posting generation

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

my bony fealty posted:

The bin Laden family is the second most wealthy and powerful family in KSA after the royals so not really no

my favorite bin laden thing is after Osama orgs ized the barracks bombing the Bin Ladens were awarded the reconstruction contract lol

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
closed loop austrian economics

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Endman posted:

I thought Havana Syndrome was just alcoholism

no actually it's hangover+annoying cricket sounds Evangelian

War and Pieces has issued a correction as of 15:53 on Aug 1, 2022

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Salo cave with Depp and Manson
Gonna buy the kids from Hanson

nut
Jul 30, 2019

depp trying to open that ninth gate one way or another

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SiddhantAdlakha/status/1554239147719655430

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/marina0swald/status/1554357557325611009

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ok, sure. epstein did 9/11.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Shear Modulus posted:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Did she learn how to land?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Cached Money posted:

probably the worst posting generation

getfiscal is gen x

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Goa Tse-tung posted:

getfiscal is gen x

nope

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/969461314845323265

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/971627307982032902

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

:crackping:

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Shear Modulus posted: