Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

BrianRx posted:

Is there any point in continuing a run once you've been bitten, or is there a chance you just get sick and avoid infection?

bites infect you with zombie 100% of the time, no exceptions and no cure in vanilla. you can stay alive for a while (maybe indefinitely) if you are very careful and have excess food and clean water and lots of rest but you can't recover from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

The last time I got bit I just dropped all my gear in my safe house and took off in a direction for as long as I could to just explore some before starting anew

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BrianRx posted:

Interesting, I didn't know that. Yeah, there were dozens and dozens of corpses and the car I was sleeping in was near the middle of the pile, so that makes sense. I also hadn't eaten in a day so I was probably more susceptible to illness. Wish there was some indication of all that, but oh well, you're supposed to die.

I'm a big baby and had zombification turned off, though I did get very sick and have high levels of fear a day or so after getting bitten or suffering a laceration, which I'm guessing would have been fatal otherwise.

Is there any point in continuing a run once you've been bitten, or is there a chance you just get sick and avoid infection?

You probably died from being around the corpses then, that sucks. Even while mid-fighting you can start feeling sick if there are enough corpses on the ground

If you get bitten then it's game over, you will definitely die in just a handful of days. You can just start a new character in the same world (even singleplayer), you can even kill your previous character and loot your corpse. If you have a big elaborate base setup this may be more worthwhile than starting over completely, it depends on what your goals are. There's also a mod that lets you record your stats to a journal, and then on your future characters you can read the journal to get those points (the default is getting 100% of those skill points back, but you can reduce this in the settings).

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

You can change the effect corpses have on your character in the sandbox settings. I changed it to lower from normal after dying the same way and haven't had a problem even with zombies set to insane and never not checking every corpse for ammo and orange soda

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Tarezax posted:

How many corpses were around? I'm guessing a shitton. Corpses cause sickness around them when in large numbers, and if you stick around too long it will drain your health.

In other news, I've been playing a bunch of single player and have survived past 2 months for the first time. I've set up a nice base in the gas station in Ekron, and have discovered just how powerful fishing is for feeding your character. There's 3 small lakes near this gas station so plenty of fish to catch. Considering taking a trip to that military base for kicks, as I lost my previous longest-surviving character there.

Update: I took that trip to the military base and man, this really isn't worth the trip. Shitton of zombies, a long way from anywhere, and not that much loot. At least it's a pretty much guaranteed source of military backpacks? I might have some fuel issues getting back, hopefully I don't have to ditch my car.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I mean, once you have a basic sustainable loop of avoiding death from day to day there's little motivation to go anywhere or do anything specific, you go there just to Go There :shrug:

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

I mean, once you have a basic sustainable loop of avoiding death from day to day there's little motivation to go anywhere or do anything specific, you go there just to Go There :shrug:

Yeah, that's how I got to the military base. I'm going to check out the prison on my next run and then put this on the shelf for a bit. So far, the most rewarding location has been the outskirts of Louisville. I came in with a leather jacket and some duffel bags and walked out with huge backpacks, better clothes, and like three more levels in aiming.

QuarkJets posted:

You probably died from being around the corpses then, that sucks. Even while mid-fighting you can start feeling sick if there are enough corpses on the ground

If you get bitten then it's game over, you will definitely die in just a handful of days. You can just start a new character in the same world (even singleplayer), you can even kill your previous character and loot your corpse. If you have a big elaborate base setup this may be more worthwhile than starting over completely, it depends on what your goals are. There's also a mod that lets you record your stats to a journal, and then on your future characters you can read the journal to get those points (the default is getting 100% of those skill points back, but you can reduce this in the settings).

Ahhhh, I wish I had paid more attention to the 'reroll character" dialog. I had a bunch of well stocked safehouses that I was bummed to lose. That square of three houses surrounded by gates in Louisville is very very cool for basebuilding, but that's the point at which I realized I didn't have a reason to do anything else.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 1, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah, going to the military base is a thing you could do. But now that Louisville is in the game I can think of a lot of better things to check out

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If you haven’t gone in and deliberately deleted a save game, the game saves it at death so continuing in it from Load Game brings you to character creation screen.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Flesh Forge posted:

I feel like this says something about real life as well. Maybe. In my case I made a new save just so I could wander around and explore without killing my main character.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

On a zombie tangent, whats the general thought on State of Decay 2 these days? I haven't played either one before and hears mixed things initially about 2, but it looks like it's had a ton of support and patches for a few years so I'm guessing it's in better shape now. Seems like it might hit that sweet spot of zombies and survival/community building that I love in theory but haven't really found the game for yet.

Edit: I just managed to find the old thread through google when forums search was failing me, looks like it's got posts fairly recently still.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 1, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone's got their feelers out for Retreat to Enen which is releasing today?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1556490/Retreat_To_Enen/

It looks nice but too bad there's no co-op (as of now, anyway).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Toast King posted:

On a zombie tangent, whats the general thought on State of Decay 2 these days? I haven't played either one before and hears mixed things initially about 2, but it looks like it's had a ton of support and patches for a few years so I'm guessing it's in better shape now. Seems like it might hit that sweet spot of zombies and survival/community building that I love in theory but haven't really found the game for yet.

Edit: I just managed to find the old thread through google when forums search was failing me, looks like it's got posts fairly recently still.

it's a really good game, super immersive and with great maps. the dialogue between NPCs comes out weirdly stilted and awkwardly timed because somewhat Bethesda NPC interaction like, it's all super generic and intended to be completely randomized but that's my single critique. There is a story mode (Trumbull Valley) where this is much less of a concern because all the voiceover is directed as a real narrative. The gameplay is very good, with some good replay value as you restart on different maps/higher difficulties. Not a big fan of the immensely spongey uber zombies at the hardest difficulties but you have a lot of difficulty options and that can be adjusted.
e: it is very much not a survival game at the personal level, the resource management happens at the group level and is very abstract.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 1, 2022

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Flesh Forge posted:

it's a really good game, super immersive and with great maps. the dialogue between NPCs comes out weirdly stilted and awkwardly timed because somewhat Bethesda NPC interaction like, it's all super generic and intended to be completely randomized but that's my single critique. There is a story mode (Trumbull Valley) where this is much less of a concern because all the voiceover is directed as a real narrative. The gameplay is very good, with some good replay value as you restart on different maps/higher difficulties. Not a big fan of the immensely spongey uber zombies at the hardest difficulties but you have a lot of difficulty options and that can be adjusted.
e: it is very much not a survival game at the personal level, the resource management happens at the group level and is very abstract.

Seconding this. Minor caveat with how resistant zombies are. Playing on the hardest difficulties you really don't want to melee zombies, and everything dies in a single headshot, with the exceptions of:

a) zombies with helmets. Few and far between.
b) Ferals, who may take a couple or plagued ferals, who have bone helmets that you have to shoot a couple of times before they become susceptible to headshot. Your best bet in case of feral is to spot them first and run away, unless you're very heavily armed, or have time to take two or three shots at them.
c) Juggernauts and plague Juggernauts: These are centerpieces of base assaults, where every survivor will shot at them with their infinite ammo. You're really not supposed to solo or even aggro them.

On high difficulties it becomes a really tense game of hide and seek.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
State of Decay 2 is pretty fun and I think it does death and its consequences better than almost any game of the kind I've seen. You can still die from getting caught out, facing a very dangerous foe, overextending, getting careless, or occasionally just very bad luck, but if you're careful and alert you'll take pretty good care of yourself. There are way fewer bullshit deaths than say, Project Zomboid, in my experience, and the combat's a lot more fun. When you do lose a character, you don't start from scratch, you just switch to playing as another member of the community you've built. This is still a significant setback, but one that doesn't cost days worth of playing, and you can always come back from it. It also opens up some interesting opportunities in terms of game mechanics, like deciding who to bring on a given mission or outing, when to start training up a rookie's abilities, and how much to distribute skill and field practice.
Managing your community is more involved than I would have expected, and on top of basic abstracted resources you also have a stockpile of specific individual items, facilities to build, mods that attach to facilities, vehicles you can fuel, repair, and upgrade, disputes and disasters to mitigate, neighbors to handle, all kinds of things. It's not really an in-depth survival game but the base building and even more the community building did surprise me a little.

Overall I'd say it's a solid game with fun if somewhat more "arcadey" gameplay than most of the games in this thread have, but it's backed up by a decent and rewarding pattern of play, some fun and original mechanics, and the most fun permadeath I've ever played. Really hoping State of Decay 3 comes out sometime soon, and is good. Looks like that one intends for more of a wilderness survival focus, but I'm just inferring based on the single cinematic trailer.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah that's a pretty important point, it's a permadeath game but it doesn't really need you to savescum or just accept a game over, you can lose a character and it definitely stings, especially if it was one with really useful skills, but you can recover from it. Also I would say it has "base management" more than base building, you never actually build anything from scratch, you take over an existing special POI that is dedicated for this purpose and renovate it, and build facilities on it.

Oh speaking of POIs, SOD 1/2 is another game that does semi-random POIs very well, although not with nearly as much variety as 7 Days does.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Well I had my first death from a cold in Project Zomboid, guess I shouldn’t be out looting in a thunderstorm. I was even an outdoorsman.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

TeaJay posted:

Anyone's got their feelers out for Retreat to Enen which is releasing today?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1556490/Retreat_To_Enen/

It looks nice but too bad there's no co-op (as of now, anyway).

I was excited for it but the Steam reviews on it so far aren't great. I'm waiting for a bit more info and maybe watch a stream or something of it. Right now, it's feeling like a "wait six months and get it at 80% off kind of thing" for me.

Sure looks pretty though.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

HelloSailorSign posted:

Well I had my first death from a cold in Project Zomboid, guess I shouldn’t be out looting in a thunderstorm. I was even an outdoorsman.

I don’t think colds can kill you in the vanilla game. Are you using a mod of some kind (e.g., “dynamic traits” which has a basically undocumented feature where catching the sniffles is practically a death sentence)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Bonaventure posted:

I don’t think colds can kill you in the vanilla game. Are you using a mod of some kind (e.g., “dynamic traits” which has a basically undocumented feature where catching the sniffles is practically a death sentence)

Lol did not know dynamic traits made colds deadly, I’m definitely using that mod.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I havent had a problem taking high thirst so I wanted to see how hearty appetite went and boy is it annoying how frequently that hunger moodle pops up. Wasnt sad to see that character get bit.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ever since the Axe Man trait got fixed, Lumberjack is now my favorite class and axes are now my favorite weapon.
Advantages:
1. +1 strength. This is extremely good, strength is probably the most important skill in the game. A character that takes Strong can start with +9 strength, Lumberjack can start with +10. That's more damage, more carry weight, more push effectiveness, etc.
2. +2 Axe. Axes are excellent weapons, they have a huge crit multiplier so once your skill is up a bit you can very consistently decapitate zombies. They don't crit as often as spears but have much greater durability; a pick axe will last a super long time. Even hand axes are excellent belt items.
3. Axe Man is a special trait that gives you a 25% faster axe swing. This used to be broken, but it got fixed!

With just a hand axe you basically become a wood chipper at 5+ skill. Spear characters get this way at earlier skill levels, but with 2 points in Axe skill you'll be there way sooner. Spears also never stop being the most fragile weapon; even with a lot of points in carpentry and maintenance you still have to carry around a bundle of the things, whereas hand axes last forever and you can find them on zombie corpses

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the only reason i dont prefer axes as a weapon is because crowbars, shovels and baseball bats exist. crowbars basically never break

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
So that Card Survival game is hideous but the reviews are great. Is it good times?

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

HopperUK posted:

So that Card Survival game is hideous but the reviews are great. Is it good times?

I love it, but I've said my piece on it allot before. Once you can get past the weird presentation, UI and abstraction, it's a really solid little survival game. It's leaving early access soon too, august is slated to be it's last month in EA, so it's pretty feature complete at this point. Latest big additions are beekeeping, a new volcano and bay area, a huge expansion for the underground cave system, and a revamp of the preset characters to give them unique goals and victory conditions compared to the custom ones. The Farmer is pretty neat with having to take care of your sick grandfather as well as yourself in exchange for a more solid starting position.

Definitely give it a try, if you can't click with it after an hour or so grab a refund.

Edit: Might as well quote my last spiels about it

Jawnycat posted:

So been playing Card Survival: Tropical Island, which sounds like a shovelware game I know, but is made by the same guy that did Card Quest, which same problem, but was a great roguelike and this new game has been a pretty decent survival experience from my poking at it, albeit with an odd presentation and massive abstraction. It's giving me some weird nostalgia for something I can't quite put my finger on too...

Main loop of the game is don't die, keep fed, watered, rested and sane, and eventually build a raft and escape back to civilization, which is not instant and sailing on your raft is the end game, rather than the game end. Currently water feels a bit too hard to manage and random injuries from just exploring certain zones suck especially since treating them takes forever and absolutely fucks both your turn economy and food consumption. And it's still in EA so is very much the skeleton of a game.

Is run based and has meta-progression in the form of unlockable starting traits (every day survived earns you a 'sun', every month a 'moon'), sun traits tend to be basic innate things like simple debuffs or buffs or starting with a decent skill score in a specific skill and moon traits tend to be more game-changing, like instead of you being stranded your a survival show host lol, or it never rains, or you spawn in a crashed plane far in-land instead of on the beach, or be a horrible sea monster come to shore to nest, which is actually one of the preset builds and stupidly hard. Traits can be good or bad and there is no limit to what ones you can use once unlocked, so it's more about tailoring what kinda experience you want than actual progression.

Card Quest was a real good game for me, so yeah, am excited to see what this looks like better fleshed out even if it's a hell of strange genre combo.

Jawnycat posted:

I'd recommend Card Survival: Tropical Island, I've brought it up in thread before as a promising upstart, albeit with weird and very abstracted presentation and gameplay. I don't know why it's marketed as a card game cuz it's not, at all, it's just a weird aesthetic for your inventory/location.

It's had allot of content added to it with bi-weekly updates and is a pretty solid little survival game now, even if they are still finding the balance. Your stranded on a tropical island and have to survive to either establish a self-sufficient long term home and accept your fate, or escape on a raft and get rescued. Has farming, animal husbandry (still early functionality on that), extensive crafting and inventory management and getting hurt is a big deal.

More unique features of it I feel are: it doesn't end when you escape the island, you gotta survive on your raft till rescue which is a whole ordeal and learning how to raft good before finally setting off, as well as stocking and planning for the trip is really cool. And it goes pretty heavy into managing your mental health as a thing, which is rare in survival games, balance on that is still being worked tho. Making monkey friends is cool.

Metaprogression is unlocking traits to play with that can drastically increase/decrease difficulty, add weird gimmicks, fast track your start, effectively harden/soften features your (not) a fan of, or change your spawn location, all of which are optional and have almost no limitations to how you can mix and match them, make things as miserable or as easy as you want. Don't like grinding a specific skill up, just take a trait to make you start with it at a high level. Unlock points are simply gained for how many days/months you survive, banked on death/victory.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 2, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jawnycat posted:

I love it, but I've said my piece on it allot before. Once you can get past the weird presentation, UI and abstraction, it's a really solid little survival game. It's leaving early access soon too, august is slated to be it's last month in EA, so it's pretty feature complete at this point. Latest big additions are beekeeping, a new volcano and bay area, a huge expansion for the underground cave system, and a revamp of the preset characters to give them unique goals and victory conditions compared to the custom ones. The Farmer is pretty neat with having to take care of your sick grandfather as well as yourself in exchange for a more solid starting position.

Definitely give it a try, if you can't click with it after an hour or so grab a refund.

Thanks! I do wish the art were better but if I could play Settlements I can play this

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
PZ trip report: just got into West Point and holy poo poo it's loving infested it's a loving hellhole :psyduck:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Saw this on the subreddit, good to know:

quote:

If you “pick up” curtains using the take, put down, rotate etc. menu they remain curtains instead of becoming sheets. Was a true decorating game changer.

Edit: This too:

quote:

I haven’t seen anyone mention that you can stand on the chest of knocked down zeds indefinitely to keep them pinned down. It makes juggling small groups a lot more manageable.

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 2, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Big Scary Owl posted:

Saw this on the subreddit, good to know:

Edit: This too:

No loving way

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I don't suppose that second part counts for when they're on the ground after falling over a fence/through a window does it? I always am at the ready to start smashing downward when they do but end up getting pushed back by a crawler.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 2, 2022

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Tweak posted:

I don't suppose that second part counts for when they're on the ground after falling over a fence/through a window does it? I always am at the ready to start smashing downward why they do but end up getting pushed back by a crawler.

afaik it does not, though if you actually hit them during that animation and they somehow don't die it'll put them into a normal grounded state that does count.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Made another save but on sandbox mode and put zombie speed, intelligence and strength on random and I've died with 3 characters in minutes already :shepface:

Also some sprinters do the naruto run which :lol:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Big Scary Owl posted:

I haven’t seen anyone mention that you can stand on the chest of knocked down zeds indefinitely to keep them pinned down. It makes juggling small groups a lot more manageable.
Yeah this is huge when you're very early on and just fighting even two zombies at once. You're effectively putting one zombie out of the equation right away.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah this is huge when you're very early on and just fighting even two zombies at once. You're effectively putting one zombie out of the equation right away.

It's also an effective way to train aiming while carrying around a lightweight .38. Knock the zombie down, stand on its chest, pull the gun, aim, you get a clean headshot with one bullet.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

It's also an effective way to train aiming while carrying around a lightweight .38. Knock the zombie down, stand on its chest, pull the gun, aim, you get a clean headshot with one bullet.

That's a very good idea, skill training is based on damage done so this is probably pretty effective; clear a group and then just knock down a cap the last one

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That's what the shotgun is for. I'm not sure if the sawn off shotgun is a mod, but I just roll up, roll my window down, blast the zombies from the car and leave when the sound attracts to many.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's difficult to tell which zombie game people are talking about sometimes.

(SOD2) The starting map seems to have very little... stuff on it. I assume that means i'm supposed to grab what I can then move to a new map.
Do I need to dismantle my base and load everyone up with rucksacks, or will stuff be automatically transferred?

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

(SOD2) The starting map seems to have very little... stuff on it. I assume that means i'm supposed to grab what I can then move to a new map.
Do I need to dismantle my base and load everyone up with rucksacks, or will stuff be automatically transferred?

I think the secret is that it's Project Zomboid 99% of the time.

Thanks for all the words on State of Decay from everyone, I gave it a couple of hours last night and I'm very into it! A lot to take in at first but it's really scratching the sort of gameplay itch I wanted. No issues with it being less 'survival-meter' focused since I've had more than enough of that from plenty of other games anyway.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

The Lone Badger posted:

When you secure a new possible home site you can choose to move into it. All your stuff, including your cars, will be brought over. Your max storage goes up temporarily, you get a lot of resources refunded, and your build speed goes extremely fast for a few minutes so you can quickly get re-established. It's super forgiving.

There are multiple possible maps you could choose to play in SoD2 (you choose at the end of the tutorial, at least last time I played?), and yeah, most of them start you out in a tiny, temporary base in a quiet corner of the map. Once you move into a bigger base deeper into the map you'll have way more lootable points of interest around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The tutorial automatically took me to a tinyass rural base.
Unless I'm still in the tutorial I suppose.

When I upgraded my command centre to lvl2 it said I could go to one of the map edge points to move to a new map, if I wanted.