Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

china klay
Jul 4, 2018
Nice haul for the Sixers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The Utah Jazz (habeasdorkus) have signed Luka Doncic for $413.

(The next highest bid was $377.)

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Steal

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Who could have predicted this???????

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

That's it for Day 8. Day 9 bids will be here soon with more potential steals (posted within the hour)

Take care of ya chicken.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Dammit I thought about going a bit higher. I’ll take 2nd (i think)

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The Utah Jazz (habeasdorkus) have signed Luka Doncic for $413.

(The next highest bid was $377.)
Should’ve been $600+ like Giannis and Jokic

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Nice deal on doncic. Does anyone have an active spreadsheet that they’d mind sharing? I feel like there was a link earlier but I don’t feel like going back to look for it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

Its almost like spending too much money early deflates the prices of players later.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Fast Luck posted:

I did warn in the OP that anything over $500 is A LOT lmao so I think $400-$500 for a 1st team all-nba dude is the max but...

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

JackBandit posted:

Nice deal on doncic. Does anyone have an active spreadsheet that they’d mind sharing? I feel like there was a link earlier but I don’t feel like going back to look for it.

Here's my sheets.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

star players are passé

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

It goes to show that giannis is that much better than luka. The market just works, people

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I did warn in the OP that anything over $500 is A LOT lmao so I think $400-$500 for a 1st team all-nba dude is the max but...
I’d say Giannis Jokic Doncic are worth at least 60% of your cap with Embiid coming up behind them. There’s teams with $500+ and even $850-1000, who are they waiting for!

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Thanks, this is awesome. What’s the story with the overall ratings? I’m trying to not care and just go with players that are cool and that I think would fit together, but it’s hard to get excited when Malcolm brogdon is rated higher than jayson Tatum.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

I’d say Giannis Jokic Doncic are worth at least 60% of your cap with Embiid coming up behind them. There’s teams with $500+ and even $850-1000, who are they waiting for!

also having a predetermined idea of how much of the cap a player is worth is how you end up spending 50 bucks on dudes who cant get minutes and running out of money on day 3.

They are not "worth" 60% of the cap, they are worth the cheapest you can possibly get them for.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 1, 2022

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Doncic in Utah is almost too on the nose for my taste

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I hosed up this game horribly. Redo redo redo

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Steph, LeBron, and KD are still out there.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum with no money left halfway through, but I don't hate my team. Not bad for a first try.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

JackBandit posted:

Thanks, this is awesome. What’s the story with the overall ratings? I’m trying to not care and just go with players that are cool and that I think would fit together, but it’s hard to get excited when Malcolm brogdon is rated higher than jayson Tatum.

its how the goofy sim rates the players

presumably because whoever runs it doesnt actually watch games

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

JackBandit posted:

IIRC it combines a lot of little things so it's weighted higher for guys that are good or decent at a lot of areas. Tatum was almost unstoppable in the last one though just because of his scoring

a new study bible! posted:

its how the goofy sim rates the players

presumably because whoever runs it doesnt actually watch games

I don't think this is true at all tbh. There is some wonky stuff sometimes but some people edit rosters who watch a lot.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

JackBandit posted:

No I’m pretty sure Ayo and Cade Cunningham are the same quality those ratings are dead on

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

JackBandit posted:

I just grabbed a player list from basketballgm at the start of the 2023 preseason and it assigns these numbers, but there appears to be variation every time you start a new league. (Sometimes Giannis is 77, sometimes 81, sometimes 76, etc.) The short answer is that they're not specifically accurate, and when DBD runs the league his numbers will be different anyways. I have no idea what these numbers mean mechanically.

Trust your heart. That's what I did, and that's why I have Marko Simonovic and 2 Diengs and I will never feel bad about that.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Giggs posted:

I just grabbed a player list from basketballgm at the start of the 2023 preseason and it assigns these numbers, but there appears to be variation every time you start a new league. (Sometimes Giannis is 77, sometimes 81, sometimes 76, etc.) The short answer is that they're not specifically accurate, and when DBD runs the league his numbers will be different anyways. I have no idea what these numbers mean mechanically.

Trust your heart. That's what I did, and that's why I have Marko Simonovic and 2 Diengs and I will never feel bad about that.

Customize your league and set real player determinism to 100

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Paul Zuvella posted:

also having a predetermined idea of how much of the cap a player is worth is how you end up spending 50 bucks on dudes who cant get minutes and running out of money on day 3.

They are not "worth" 60% of the cap, they are worth the cheapest you can possibly get them for.
When I say “worth” you clearly don’t know how I’m defining that. The top guys are worth more than 60% if anything, with no max here we can pay the irreplaceable superstars as much as we want and then pay the interchangeable guys who maybe contribute a starter’s portion even less. It should all only lead to MORE for Doncic

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I plan on running a 2k season as well just for funsies but that wont be until after DBD has finished his season sim since it's an unofficial league

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

kingcobweb posted:

Customize your league and set real player determinism to 100

I did do this for the numbers that I have on my sheets, I didn't check to see if it would be the same if I did it a second time though so I assumed the variance is built in :shrug:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

When I say “worth” you clearly don’t know how I’m defining that. The top guys are worth more than 60% if anything, with no max here we can pay the irreplaceable superstars as much as we want and then pay the interchangeable guys who maybe contribute a starter’s portion even less. It should all only lead to MORE for Doncic

You're still trying to view this through the lens of how real basketball works and not a wonky league where you blind bid on players for 18 days in a row. We arent putting butts in seats and we dont have to play by the rules of the NBA.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

a new study bible! posted:

I plan on running a 2k season as well just for funsies but that wont be until after DBD has finished his season sim since it's an unofficial league

You can do it whenever after tbh! It's probably a better sim I just don't have it, haha.

But the schedule post finalized teams will go GOON VOTING ON CHAMPION (and some other fun stuff) -> BB-GM 1 season sim, so there's technically two prestigious goon awards you guys can win

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
BasketballGM is a really fun game but the real player rosters are always pretty iffy.

I'm just drafting/bidding for the goon vote which will be The Real Championship anyway. The sim(s) are an afterthought for me.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

*in an extremely wario voice* imma gonna win

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Sixers stole both my bums by 20 dollars

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Paul Zuvella posted:

*in an extremely wario voice* imma gonna win

You’re building the Atlanta hawks my guy

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Paul Zuvella posted:

You're still trying to view this through the lens of how real basketball works and not a wonky league where you blind bid on players for 18 days in a row. We arent putting butts in seats and we dont have to play by the rules of the NBA.
Right but there’s still a purpose here which is to build teams that are as fun or good as we can. And that goal would put the price for Luka higher most of the time. Why can’t you just say that it was a steal!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Which would be great if you were going up against the Sixers, but you are the Sixers! What an irony!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

We arent putting butts in seats
Speak for yourself, im already beating real life Hawks attendance records

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Was not really ready for winning 3 bids tonight but happy to bring together ballers, shotcallers, and, in the words of Jordan Clarkson, Clarskoners.

Happy. With. My. Guys. BUCKETS

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

Right but there’s still a purpose here which is to build teams that are as fun or good as we can. And that goal would put the price for Luka higher most of the time. Why can’t you just say that it was a steal!

I fundamentally disagree that its a steal.

DeimosRising posted:

You’re building the Atlanta hawks my guy

Lets not cast stones in glass houses, friend.

e: also we have spent 69% of the cap. Nice.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I was sure with all his big talk Paul Zuevella was going for Luka but I guess the shambling skeleton of CP3 and John "would be a low end all-star in 1987" Collins is a good way to cement 45 wins and a first round exit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

tanglewood1420 posted:

I was sure with all his big talk Paul Zuevella was going for Luka but I guess the shambling skeleton of CP3 and John "would be a low end all-star in 1987" Collins is a good way to cement 45 wins and a first round exit.

Chris Paul was the 9th best player in the league by win shares and was the best player on the best team in the league what are you smoking

Also I missed out on Luka by 60 bucks

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 1, 2022