Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
If the Goddess willed that anime to come out on time they would not have gotten COVID. Clearly it is a sin against anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
Speaking of Isekai Ojisan, I just saw the last episode and it's great that there's finally an anime where the male characters have maxed out their "women respecting" skills

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

it’s a real shame because i think isekai ojisan is my favorite show this season

E: that is to say it's a shame the production is being delayed. The protagonists respecting women is a fun change of pace.

The Lucifer and biscuit hammer is maybe my second pick? whoever is voicing the little lizard is doing a good job

wolfs has issued a correction as of 07:01 on Jul 28, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Just finished watching The Orbital Children and it's really great. I'd recommend it to anyone. There hasn't been a space realist anime this good since Planetes. It very effectively acts as a rebuke to the kind of exterminationist reasoning of climate change pessimists who believe humanity has to be managed along malthusian lines, by framing this mentality as juvenile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3J4KbvIslA

I dunno why it's not at least as popular or well known as Dennou Coil other than it being stuck in "Netflix Hell." It certainly feels like it's still underrated.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
i never even heard of it before, netflix probably just plunked it off in their release window

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's an extremely well produced and animated show, directed by one of the biggest names in the biz. It's incredible that Netflix can drop all of that money on a production only to dump it online like any other piece of content. It's been on my watchlist since release, but I only got around to watching it now because of the total lack of word of mouth.

The one thing about it that's off-putting is how it does what overly ambitious anime typically do, and dumps all of its biggest ideas in the last 30 minutes. So it's difficult to keep up with towards the end, but if you can pick up on what it's laying down it does it well enough to get the point across.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 15:46 on Jul 31, 2022

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

i never even heard of it before, netflix probably just plunked it off in their release window

Same. Completely passed me by. Netflix is weird but nice that they still have VC money to burn.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I posted about it itt when I watched it, it's good

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah I thought it was well done when it came out. Didn't make a big splash or anything but well made and a good watch.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I keep seeing a lot of speculation about an Orbital Children season 2, but nothing conclusive. I thought it wrapped up everything pretty clearly as it is already, so I'm guessing it's just clickbait noise.

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1553743121527218177?s=20&t=1wRdcL-wUYX1IqDL7GRJLQ

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Just finished watching The Orbital Children and it's really great. I'd recommend it to anyone. There hasn't been a space realist anime this good since Planetes. It very effectively acts as a rebuke to the kind of exterminationist reasoning of climate change pessimists who believe humanity has to be managed along malthusian lines, by framing this mentality as juvenile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3J4KbvIslA

I dunno why it's not at least as popular or well known as Dennou Coil other than it being stuck in "Netflix Hell." It certainly feels like it's still underrated.

i dont know if i'd go so far as to call it space realist, it was well produced but basically came down to AI magic and interdimensional space magic will save the human race. in planetes the terrorism is towards an equitable end on behalf of the global south, in The Orbital Children it's basically a childish green peace eco terrorist cardboard cutout of a character. i think the show was pretty shallow on the whole but a fun watch, i guess it's better for a childrens show to have a hope-punk vibe rather than something a lot more complex like planetes'

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
grooming children to become astronauts.... truly disturbing

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a cyberpunk goose posted:

i dont know if i'd go so far as to call it space realist, it was well produced but basically came down to AI magic and interdimensional space magic will save the human race. in planetes the terrorism is towards an equitable end on behalf of the global south, in The Orbital Children it's basically a childish green peace eco terrorist cardboard cutout of a character. i think the show was pretty shallow on the whole but a fun watch, i guess it's better for a childrens show to have a hope-punk vibe rather than something a lot more complex like planetes'

It's not about interdimensional space magic at all, it's using established theories of time in order to make a point about uncertainties and the imperfection of any kind of predictive model. First Seven could only predict the future in purely physical terms, because it lacked an understanding of "humans" within its frame of reference. It could suppose that Konoha would die from her implant at the end of its lifecycle, when she had fulfilled the purpose First Seven intended for her. What it couldn't account for was that the adults in the bungee pod would do everything they could to keep her alive, or that Toya would reject a future without Konoha out of his familial love for her. Its failure to account for the inner lives of humans proved the imperfection of its predictive models. Even when Second Seven had surpassed the intelligence of the First, it still could not understand this because it too lacked that frame of reference. Any intelligence, no matter how powerful cannot know what it doesn't know. Nasa isn't simply a green peace eco terrorist cardboard cutout, she's an ideological fatalist. Her faith in the predictive power of the Seven Poem is what completely subsumes her, not the exterminationist logic specifically.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 20:55 on Jul 31, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Chicks love being named poo poo like NASA Houston

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Augus posted:

interesting theory, but I propose an alternative:
K-On is a generally popular series with high production values from a major studio and therefore it is inevitable that people will watch it and get on board with it just because it’s popular and it’s also inevitable that some of the people watching it will be insane freaks
it’s insipid garbage tho

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's not about interdimensional space magic at all, it's using established theories of time in order to make a point about uncertainties and the imperfection of any kind of predictive model. First Seven could only predict the future in purely physical terms, because it lacked an understanding of "humans" within its frame of reference. It could suppose that Konoha would die from her implant at the end of its lifecycle, when she had fulfilled the purpose First Seven intended for her. What it couldn't account for was that the adults in the bungee pod would do everything they could to keep her alive, or that Toya would reject a future without Konoha out of his familial love for her. Its failure to account for the inner lives of humans proved the imperfection of its predictive models. Even when Second Seven had surpassed the intelligence of the First, it still could not understand this because it too lacked that frame of reference. Any intelligence, no matter how powerful cannot know what it doesn't know. Nasa isn't simply a green peace eco terrorist cardboard cutout, she's an ideological fatalist. Her faith in the predictive power of the Seven Poem is what completely subsumes her, not the exterminationist logic specifically.

i concede

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

TenementFunster posted:

it’s insipid garbage tho

as pener pointed out, the insipidity is what makes it popular. there is nothing remotely objectionable about it. ive never seen it, but its just like, high school girls learning how to play the keyboard?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

it’s insipid garbage tho

:ironicat:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Calibanibal posted:

as pener pointed out, the insipidity is what makes it popular. there is nothing remotely objectionable about it. ive never seen it, but its just like, high school girls learning how to play the keyboard?

from what i understand its intent is to get girls interested in playing musical instruments, which is perfectly fine. it's a bit much to complain about its insipidity when you're not even the target audience. for teen girls who maybe have anxiety about performing there's a lot to chew on.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

from what i understand its intent is to get girls interested in playing musical instruments, which is perfectly fine. it's a bit much to complain about its insipidity when you're not even the target audience. for teen girls who maybe have anxiety about performing there's a lot to chew on.

There's also the side audience of "hey remember when YOU were anxious about whether you could hang in band", and the side-side audience of "hey remember when you were so anxious about hanging in band you did varsity ping pong instead", but... Yeah. Whatever the hell EOPs are doing with liking K-On, or most nonthreatening girl comedies in general, is like not even the third place intended target.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

im pomu

i drank a bunch of twisted tea and watched pomu read a few chapters of “loving yamada at lv999!” (and then read some more) and it probably has a pretty good anime adaptation in the pipe

irl teens getting into relationships in mmos and discords now will probably lead to lots of gamer marriages and gamer breakups - its good the idea has now filtered into mangos

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

wolfs posted:

im pomu

i drank a bunch of twisted tea and watched pomu read a few chapters of “loving yamada at lv999!” (and then read some more) and it probably has a pretty good anime adaptation in the pipe

irl teens getting into relationships in mmos and discords now will probably lead to lots of gamer marriages and gamer breakups - its good the idea has now filtered into mangos
my friend's brother got a MMORG divorce but because e-real estate is so expensive now neither of them can afford to sell the house and move servers

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

cursed

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Noooo

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
A guy at my old job had that on his office door for years. I had forgotten about it until I was looking through my photos.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I like how POs and Scrum masters in imaginary.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what in tarnation

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
what the hell are any of the words on that chart supposed to mean

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Scrum master is my waifu

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Calibanibal posted:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
hell yeah precure owns

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
japanese precure guys are just bronies

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
wel at least I guess there isn't a nazi precure fandom right ahah

not gonna google it, lemme have this

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Casey Finnigan posted:

japanese precure guys are just bronies
all moe fans over the age of 14 must report for reeducation

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

break the cycle of suffering

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
wife and I just finished sonny boy. I remember when it came out, reception was kind of mixed. it loving rules. a really experimental and great effort. I wish more anime was like this instead of the 1000th isekai. I highly recommend it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mirello posted:

wife and I just finished sonny boy. I remember when it came out, reception was kind of mixed. it loving rules. a really experimental and great effort. I wish more anime was like this instead of the 1000th isekai. I highly recommend it.

lmao sonny boy is an isekai anime

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sonny Boy ruled they're saying it more and more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
precure owns and tropical rouge having a villain too depressed and lazy to do anything herself was the most realistic anime since gridman