Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

thought it was pretty funny how one of the earliest scenes in the game just has a few characters, both men/women, just casually walking around nude in a bathhouse like it's Starship Troopers and nobody's horny. Far cry from the fuckbots and harems in XC2.

Funnier is the Nopons who are also strolling around the place lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
so many DPS and Healer classes and not enough Tanks... the 'It's recommended you switch to another class' message is just taunting me now

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I finally got a shipping confirmation email

:yeshaha:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Junpei posted:

If you know you're going to be fighting a machine enemy, Valdi's Heroic Chain bonus is nuts. Let's you consistently hit Amazing

Nearly every Hero bonus to chain attacks is kinda nuts in its own way, although there is one fairly late game I suspect will be the go-to for basically any end-game team because of the unique thing it does. (Chapter 5 sidequest: Fiona giving you straight up another charge of Chain is just nuts. It's not enough that she's the class that basically just reads "give the entire party every buff in the game in a long enough fight" she ALSO has to have the best drat Hero Chain bonus? Dang.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I finally figured out the Chain Attack stuff, largely due to comments in this thread. I now usually get a couple 150+%s and always last 3-4 rounds.

A simple version would be: Regardless of the command you choose, you want to lead off the chain with an attack, use a healer when you think you're going to hit 99+, and then end with a tank.

I had a lot of confusion earlier where I thought that you need an Attacker command in order to get the Attacker TP bonus, etc.

Mr. Trampoline posted:

so many DPS and Healer classes and not enough Tanks... the 'It's recommended you switch to another class' message is just taunting me now

Unless you're late in the game and have most stuff mastered, I'd just reshuffle everyone so that everyone is using a class they haven't maxed (and the Heroes are useful at giving you more flexiblity for this).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 1, 2022

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Unless you're late in the game and have most stuff mastered, I'd just reshuffle everyone so that everyone is using a class they haven't maxed (and the Heroes are useful at giving you more flexiblity for this).
I'm medium in the game, the problem is everyone has every tank I've acquired maxed

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I'm medium in the game, the problem is everyone has every tank I've acquired maxed

Ahh, I see. Yeah I can see how that would be possible. It probably won't be too terribly long until I'm in a similar situation, depending on when I get a fourth tank class.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mr. Trampoline posted:

If you're not currently using the slot, just shove in a tank Hero. One Tank is usually good enough for most situations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just so I'm not being a huge idiot, I just did a chapter 3 quest that ended with me fighting counsel b to get zeon and while chain attacks went better the boss still clobbered me while only being 2 levels higher with me desperately fusing Eunie to get the aoe heal off as much as possible.

There's like... not equipment for weapons/armor in game and it's raw stats and accessories right? Doing 3-4 rounds of Chain on the boss and barely telling if the HP bar is moving had me doubting it, and when he went into the halfway mark mode and started spamming AOE hits was just overwhelming frankly and I died once to it

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
that boss was tough for me when i was several levels higher than it, let alone 2 levels below

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just so I'm not being a huge idiot, I just did a chapter 3 quest that ended with me fighting counsel b to get zeon and while chain attacks went better the boss still clobbered me while only being 2 levels higher with me desperately fusing Eunie to get the aoe heal off as much as possible.

There's like... not equipment for weapons/armor in game and it's raw stats and accessories right? Doing 3-4 rounds of Chain on the boss and barely telling if the HP bar is moving had me doubting it, and when he went into the halfway mark mode and started spamming AOE hits was just overwhelming frankly and I died once to it

I fought this boss 2 levels under leveled (on normal) and while it took a long time I never was in any danger. The boss shortly before this (four boss level mobs) was much harder imo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Probably a dumb question, but are you using gems? Only asking because you just mentions stats/accessories.

One thing I've found makes a difference in boss fights is throwing an extra healer in. I actually lost during my first fight against the same boss you're talking about, but won the second time around when I converted one of my DPS to a third healer. It basically meant the difference between "the boss out-damaging my healing to an extent where I couldn't recover with careful use of Chain Attacks/Ouroboros" and me being able to keep up with the damage.

Healers seem to make a pretty big difference in this due to the resurrection stuff. One more healer means one more person who can keep healing while another healer is resurrecting someone (I think multiple healers might also be able to resurrect someone faster if they're all doing it? not sure how that works).

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm not sure if you can do it early game, but there is also a mechanic that gets rid of the enrage flame effect bosses get at half health that the game never tells you about until like ch 6.

If you complete a full burst combo, it purges the boss. Not sure if this is only true AFTER the point in the story where it tells you about it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

hatty posted:

What’s so bad about tiger tiger? It seemed very inoffensive when I played it

I'm pretty much convinced that anybody who actually likes tiger tiger is someone who found the mini game to be very easy and eventually got bored of it once they got enough equipment, or it was people who were good at that sort of game

However for me I hated every single moment it was a struggle just to complete a single level and I only got to level three out of five by making my co-worker play it for me, but he likes poo poo like Super Meat Boy whatever

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i can literally only do Tiger Tiger with my 8bitdo snes controller, it's a terrible minigame which is even more terrible without a proper D-pad

its also basically pointless until you unlock level 5 and the amount of effort you put in is rewarded with semi-decent parts

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I've stayed off this thread to avoid spoilers, so I apologize if this question's been asked/answered recently. Keeping this as spoiler-free as possible... I've unlocked about six extra classes so far. I spent some time grinding around and exploring, I've gotten three of the classes unlocked and even capped on other party members. Three recent classes I just got however, there's no class unlock progress happening, and I've had the 'inheritor' running the class for a while. About the only difference with the three no-progress classes is that they were gained via side-quests, not story.

Is this a 'move the story' along situation?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

5er posted:

I've stayed off this thread to avoid spoilers, so I apologize if this question's been asked/answered recently. Keeping this as spoiler-free as possible... I've unlocked about six extra classes so far. I spent some time grinding around and exploring, I've gotten three of the classes unlocked and even capped on other party members. Three recent classes I just got however, there's no class unlock progress happening, and I've had the 'inheritor' running the class for a while. About the only difference with the three no-progress classes is that they were gained via side-quests, not story.

Is this a 'move the story' along situation?

you do not get class unlock progression if you're fighting enemies too far below your level. I'd guess 5 below is the max

5er
Jun 1, 2000

turn off the TV posted:

you do not get class unlock progression if you're fighting enemies too far below your level. I'd guess 5 below is the max

That could be it. I'm avg lev.37, somewhere in Ch.3 and everything is in the upper 20s lately :/

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm at what I think is the end of chapter 3 and the boss fight is kinda kicking me in the nuts. Okay first off I might be messing around too much because I did not absorb that poo poo about Ouroboros orders at all, but also J just does that thing where he floats up in the air for like 10 seconds auto attack then sits his tubby butt down and everyone eats massive poo poo? I guess I could just try to move everyone into interlink for that but yeesh.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Probably my fault for playing on Hard, but yikeseroo any named monster with AoE feels basically impossible without sharply outleveling it. Game is great otherwise but it seems like healers are rather undertuned for the nonsense enemies can do.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Anyone who is far in the game. do you notice that it starts to take exponentially longer and longer to load for some reason?

I'm getting like 2-3 minute load times between scenes in ch 6 and 7

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Xalidur posted:

Probably my fault for playing on Hard, but yikeseroo any named monster with AoE feels basically impossible without sharply outleveling it. Game is great otherwise but it seems like healers are rather undertuned for the nonsense enemies can do.

Healers are their absolute weakest in the game because you have so many party members, getting the gem that reduces revival time is a must. Also on Hard, you really need to time your invincibility and/or form oroborus to tank.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
In Xenoblade 2 is there a reason given in game for why (XB2 endgame spoilers) When Malos reaches his full power he gets a Monado but when Mythra and Pyra fuse and are presumably at full power why does their weapon not become a Monado as well?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Drashin posted:

In Xenoblade 2 is there a reason given in game for why (XB2 endgame spoilers) When Malos reaches his full power he gets a Monado but when Mythra and Pyra fuse and are presumably at full power why does their weapon not become a Monado as well?

They don't mention Monados in XC2 except visually, but there is totally a monado in their final attack against Malos https://xenoblade.fandom.com/wiki/Infinity_Blade_(XC2) In this case it's the ether versions of Pyra, Mythra, and Pneuma's swords together (which XC1 also had as a trifetica, Zanza/Mayneth/Shulk)

also with the 2nd to last boss
You know how I pointed out the icon on Alvis' outfit in XC1, well I noticed this which was the same, kind of interesting

This one wasn't that bad

edit: I started Torna and I'm not sure why the game decided to blast me with tutorials right off the bat but immediately the visual density of the start, plus the starting cutscene was already immediately better than the start of XC2.

I'm curious to see how XC3 will pan out, XC2 was a constant pile of subpar crap to me, compared to XCX anyways. The more I played with Elma in XC2 the more I wanted to replay XCX, even though I dumped 350 hours into that and now there's no MP :(

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 1, 2022

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
At the end of chapter 4 and this is some JRPG plot. Tetsuya Takahashi HAS SOMETHING TO TELL.

It's Xenogears combined with Final Fantasy 10.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

ntan1 posted:

At the end of chapter 4 and this is some JRPG plot. Tetsuya Takahashi HAS SOMETHING TO TELL.

It's Xenogears combined with Final Fantasy 10.

Listen to my story.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Concurred posted:

Listen to my story.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. At least this game does better at treating normative relationships

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm pretty much convinced that anybody who actually likes tiger tiger is someone who found the mini game to be very easy and eventually got bored of it once they got enough equipment, or it was people who were good at that sort of game

However for me I hated every single moment it was a struggle just to complete a single level and I only got to level three out of five by making my co-worker play it for me, but he likes poo poo like Super Meat Boy whatever

I've played enough nintendo hard 2D games that tiger tiger isn't hard, but it also isn't that fun and definitely not what I had in mind. Partly why I dumped Tora at the first opportunity and didn't use him much until an NG+ run years later. And on NG+ you can buy everything instead of grinding the minigame. Poppi is still moderately useful with no minigame grinding.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mea Tulpa posted:

. And on NG+ you can buy everything instead of grinding the minigame.

You what, I have like 9 million gold with nothing to spend it on

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This story cutscene at a campsite is really funny with Grey as the hero. Everyone is sitting around the fire chatting and he's just lurking over there in his own chair separate from everyone else.

edit: I'm starting to think that the vast majority of the zones shown in the preview material were from the first half of this game; I'm pretty sure I've encountered most of them already just in late chapter 3. That's a little surprising, since for Xenoblade 2 pretty much everything up until Cliffs of Morytha showed up in the Direct + other trailers.

edit2: Yikes, I was worried I might not be able to beat this end of chapter 3 fight, but managed to pull it off thanks to Lanz making very good use of Guardian Commander (with me directly controlling him; it didn't go so well when I tried controlling other people).

edit: Sena (end of chapter 3) definitely got hands-down the coolest Ouroboros intro cutscene. Fuckin flipped the Ferronis like a turtle.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 1, 2022

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I think I’m well into chapter 3 and having a blast. I’m starting to pick up a bunch of hero characters and things are really opening up now. I can also tell that combat options are going to keep getting crazier.

It seems like some uniques/bosses are way harder than others. I struggled the most on lvl 15 “Tracy” of all the things so far. Barely made it with my lvl 19 team after attempting at every level before that. Everything else after that has been no problem even without significant level advantage until the chapter 3 boss fight mentioned above, which was a struggle but I managed on my first try without optimizing my team. Something I’m trying for this game is not using the bonus levels at the rest spots so I don’t out level content too quickly, I know how easy it is to do that when you chase every side quest in these games.

Couple Qs: What’s the best advice for Nopon coins? Should I save them for easy class levels later or use now for easy class levels early? Is there sometring else to use them for?

And, is there an easy way to figure out where to find materials for collectopedia and gems?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I have just started, I'm like two hours in where can I farm some Gemstones, to craft more gems

must feed system of number going up for tiny marginal benefit :shobon:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I have just started, I'm like two hours in where can I farm some Gemstones, to craft more gems

must feed system of number going up for tiny marginal benefit :shobon:

You're like 7 hours away from even unlocking gems

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sakurazuka posted:

You're like 7 hours away from even unlocking gems
no, I literally just unlocked gems, that's why I'm out of Gemstones (the item) because I used them all to craft gems (the in-game equippy thing)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

they're in containers. I had way more than I could use.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This game has quickly trained me to where whenever an NPC with a goofy weapon appears I instantly go “yep, that’s a hero class”.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SettingSun posted:

This game has quickly trained me to where whenever an NPC with a goofy weapon appears I instantly go “yep, that’s a hero class”.

The Bravely Default dilemma

See someone with a cool outfit and you know they're the next asterisk holder

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I don't think the strategist buff class lady is ever leaving my hero slot. Third 1/2 healer and full buffer is crazy value.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

no, I literally just unlocked gems, that's why I'm out of Gemstones (the item) because I used them all to craft gems (the in-game equippy thing)

I have max gemstones since you only need them up to gem rank 3 or maybe 4 before they want you to have pure gemstones, but they spill out of chests all over the place and now the item get feature slowly lists them as being auto sold, one after the other.

This is more annoying then it really should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Am I missing out on a mechanic with Chain Attacks, because I've never gotten one of these Ouroboros Orders? Or is that something that unlocks later?