Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Roman/Brock has had how many lovely matches and failed coronation and maybe 1-2 legit good matches but sure its an all timer feud

And said legit good matches tended to include Seth Rollins instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
https://twitter.com/alwaysabides/status/1553543786768306179
https://twitter.com/alwaysabides/status/1553551094147682305

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

KungFu Grip posted:

lmao this was probably the best Brock vs Roman match and that's because of how spectacle the whole thing was.
It was definitely the best Brock/Roman match

Key points: Multiple absurd bumps including Roman flying out of the rising ring, an ending where they explicitly buried Brock and finally very very little actual time spent with the two of them wrestling each other. The last one is the most important part as they have zero chemistry and should never wrestle each other, ever.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
some wild swings in this one

https://twitter.com/UncrownKingofPW/status/1553694084807544832

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

3/10 is a pretty bad hit rate but better than it could have been

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

3/10 is a pretty bad hit rate but better than it could have been

Hitting 3/10 would have him in the top 25

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

onefunkynote posted:

God bless THE BOARD

This one just makes me sad. Like some guy who's never seen the sun talking about how amazing his UV Lamp is.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

is it really a feud when you want both to retire in ignominy?

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

onefunkynote posted:

God bless THE BOARD

i know both of these guys, they are doing bits.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

xbilkis posted:

"The Roman/Brock feud is masterful and has a panache to it American feuds just can't achieve in the modern time." - pulmonarytoilet2

Was gonna post this too

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
All the great feuds start with a match where the fans hate both guys so much that you have to send a third guy out there to steal the title to save the pape.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Has there ever been anything resembling a story between Brock and Roman.

Like I think of Omega v Hangman, Punk v MJF, and just from website recaps I can pick up their underlying motivations insecurities ambitions etc.

Besides Heyman going from "Brock is unstoppable!" to "Acknowledge Roman!" is there anything else to look back on and point to as a "story beat" or character development etc?

He has title, I want title, muwahaha can't sustain anything beyond the first encounter imo.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

There was the "Brock doesn't respect RAW and doesn't #standforwwe, unlike you, the WWE Universe" story beats going into Mania 34, which were either bad because it didn't make Roman any more of a face or awesome because it gave us "why would I watch the show, Paul"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

kalensc posted:

Has there ever been anything resembling a story between Brock and Roman.

Like I think of Omega v Hangman, Punk v MJF, and just from website recaps I can pick up their underlying motivations insecurities ambitions etc.

Besides Heyman going from "Brock is unstoppable!" to "Acknowledge Roman!" is there anything else to look back on and point to as a "story beat" or character development etc?

He has title, I want title, muwahaha can't sustain anything beyond the first encounter imo.

its the same booking they used for Undertaker vs Batista back in the day. Two big dudes you wanna see fight and they're fighting omg so cool. Except it wasn't because both were coming back from injuries way too early and immediately getting injured out.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

"Uncrown King"

So he's the king of stealing crowns?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You know... The replies are even worse
https://twitter.com/Bmflaka82/status/1554036733368573953?t=grC6ffroxNEYY3ksOkcJ9g&s=19

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Oh look, Fred Derp has an opinion on Emi Sakura.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
1: Yeah fair enough, this guy sucked as a wrestler and turned out to be a total piece of poo poo
2. Not great but her booking at times was terrible and she was in that brilliant dentist office match with Britt
3. GTFO Luther is great and you actually have to go out of your way to watch Dark to see him so it's not like he's hogging prime TV time 👉🏻🤪
4. She's has been over pushed, especially as they've got somebody who can fill her role much better (Mercedes Martinez), but she's far from a bad signing
5. lol what? I can't even attempt to figure this one out
6. Was rarely on TV enough to be considered one of AEWs worst signings. When exactly was Marko's last appearance on Dynamite? Last time I remember seeing him was when Lance Archer launched him into orbit.
7. Like, isn't he the guy training most of the younger dudes? And fills in as lower level heel jobber whenever needed.
8. Capable of so much more than AEW gave him.
9. Just like above, criminally underutilized by AEW.
10. I mean, yeah maybe. Matt's stuff has been hit (Sammy feud) or miss (HFO) since arriving and Jeff being Jeff soured what should have been their swan song tag run.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Havoc sucks but they needed dudes to fill in the roster at the start of the company and he had some cache. When you're building a roster from scratch, sometimes you just need a lovely hardcore guy that's kinda over and can kinda work.
Big Swole wasn't a bad signing but would've been a terrible renewal. She had a great look and pretty impressive charisma but showed zero in-ring improvement in two and a half years and has looked positively godawful wherever she's popped up since Tweetin' Tony got in the last word.
Shafir is whatever. She sucks, but, who cares. She has a bit of name that they've used to put other people over.
I guess you can can argue Matt (I think he stinks too), but I don't think there's any defense at all for signing Jeff at this point. That is far and away the worst signing in AEW history and unless I'm forgetting something glaring, I don't think there's anything particularly close at all.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's a list of Dark wrestlers who probably cost pennies, plus Jeff Hardy. The Jimmy Havoc signing always seemed a bit weird but I guess they thought their UK TV deal was bigger than it was so they'd need a few British faces. They could have signed better but maybe Dean Allmark or whoever didn't want to move to Florida.

Really, Havoc, Hardy & Shafir are the only ones on that list I'd say were bad signings. QT is a perfectly enjoyable stooge in the limited TV time he gets, he was fun with Hook for example. You need guys who aren't afraid of showing some rear end.

Honestly tried to think of a 5th, because I'd add Brian Pillman Jr to the list, I don't think he's done much. Still. If that's your 4th worst signing then you've done pretty well considering they've been open for 3 full years

bartok
May 10, 2006

MJeff posted:

Havoc sucks but they needed dudes to fill in the roster at the start of the company and he had some cache. When you're building a roster from scratch, sometimes you just need a lovely hardcore guy that's kinda over and can kinda work.
Big Swole wasn't a bad signing but would've been a terrible renewal. She had a great look and pretty impressive charisma but showed zero in-ring improvement in two and a half years and has looked positively godawful wherever she's popped up since Tweetin' Tony got in the last word.
Shafir is whatever. She sucks, but, who cares. She has a bit of name that they've used to put other people over.
I guess you can can argue Matt (I think he stinks too), but I don't think there's any defense at all for signing Jeff at this point. That is far and away the worst signing in AEW history and unless I'm forgetting something glaring, I don't think there's anything particularly close at all.

Even with Jeff's history I can't fault anyone for trying to sign him because he's still insanely popular and the promise of a final Hardys run against teams like reDRagon, FTR, Lucha Bros, etc is too tempting to pass up.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

If Jeff hadn't been lying about his physical condition I think the Hardys would've been better.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jeff is only a bad signing in hindsight, at the time it was obvious you should bring him in.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/SmarkAngry/status/1548484271441977345

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The big picture in this case turned out to be Sting leaving to kick rear end in AEW so maybe they're onto something

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gumball Gumption posted:

Jeff is only a bad signing in hindsight, at the time it was obvious you should bring him in.

I mean, if you ignore why WWE let him go. I get that it was fun to think he was playing 8th dimensional chess and just pretending to be a wreck to get put but sometimes a spade is just a spade.

And if you ignore that there's also the entire rest of the last 15+ years of Jeff being a wreck. The warning signs were there & pretty bright. I was amazed Sting was willing to get in a ring with him again after that whole TNA fiasco

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

The big picture in this case turned out to be Sting leaving to kick rear end in AEW so maybe they're onto something

It finally gave closure to all the families who lost people in the Monday night wars

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

These are more fun if you read them in a documentary narrator voice, preferably British.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

These are more fun if you read them in a documentary narrator voice, preferably British.

What is the 'big picture' here? Losing to Sting only hurts Hunter if you are Vince and truly believe no one outside WWE is credible.

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)

Gaz-L posted:

What is the 'big picture' here? Losing to Sting only hurts Hunter if you are Vince and truly believe no one outside WWE is credible.

well yeah, that's exactly what it was. it was just for the "WWE has defeated WCW once and for all! DX was always better than the NWO!" message

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

The big picture is that sting went to aew so trips beating him means that trips is gonna beat aew now. Please ignore that aew did not exist at the time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Every single reason you could've brought up (and was brought up at the time) to not sign Jeff Hardy all came true within like a month of him signing. He looked unwatchably awful in every single match, he immediately Did The Thing Jeff Hardy Does, he wasn't any kind of ratings draw at all and you can basically never use him again anyway, which is hilarious because he currently has wins over two of your top tier acts.

It was an awful signing. The idea that they could've gotten an even longer, more terrible run where they had awful matches with AEW's tag teams isn't exactly a compelling reason why it might have worked out.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I always want to know what the average person who owns this sort of account thinks they’re accomplishing

Is he shitposting into the void? Knowing he gets basically zero interaction on his dumb viewpoints? Or does he think he is actually striking a blow against those gosh darn marks, which he uses the cringiest fuckin’ nickname for

I’ve seen some lovely always-online nicknames for politicians that make me want to eat my own head, but this guy makes me want to cringe into nonexistence

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MJeff posted:

Every single reason you could've brought up (and was brought up at the time) to not sign Jeff Hardy all came true within like a month of him signing. He looked unwatchably awful in every single match, he immediately Did The Thing Jeff Hardy Does, he wasn't any kind of ratings draw at all and you can basically never use him again anyway, which is hilarious because he currently has wins over two of your top tier acts.

It was an awful signing. The idea that they could've gotten an even longer, more terrible run where they had awful matches with AEW's tag teams isn't exactly a compelling reason why it might have worked out.

Presumably Matt went to bat for him and Tony believed it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It was probably also easy to believe that Jeff would benefit from a much lighter work schedule and having his brother with him, but obviously those factors didn't really add up to much anyway. Jeff did look truly terrible in almost every match, and as fun as the idea of a Hardy Boyz retirement run is I have no desire to ever see Jeff wrestle/hobble again.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

rotinaj posted:

I always want to know what the average person who owns this sort of account thinks they’re accomplishing

Is he shitposting into the void? Knowing he gets basically zero interaction on his dumb viewpoints? Or does he think he is actually striking a blow against those gosh darn marks, which he uses the cringiest fuckin’ nickname for

I’ve seen some lovely always-online nicknames for politicians that make me want to eat my own head, but this guy makes me want to cringe into nonexistence

It's to #StandUpForWWE

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Triple H got to spend company money for a win over a WCW guy he never beat, Real Estate Steve got paid handsomely, and the only losers were those of us who had to watch the millionth DX revival schmozz

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
it was funny watching jeff do his dance on his way down the ramp to save someone from a beatdown

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
From another board I'm on:

quote:

Now that Vince is gone, Orange Cassidy would be so much better off in WWE.

So would Danhausen at this rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

w/r/t a "lighter schedule" for Jeff, IIRC he barely did anything in the year+ after that admittedly great Styles/Zayn/Hardy match in 2020 other than putting a few nobodies over on Main Event and beating Karrion Kross. Pretty sure during the return to the road WWE wasn't doing the house show circuits of old, no?

So yeah, he looks old and busted because he is old and busted, no light schedule would've helped