Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Everything concerning Pale and the technology that interacts with it is completely outside of current science (duh....obviously) and could easily count both as "sci-fi" and "non-earth environment".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
It is a prequel where you play as kim's parents before moving to revachol

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Everything concerning Pale and the technology that interacts with it is completely outside of current science (duh....obviously) and could easily count both as "sci-fi" and "non-earth environment".

Indeedy. Useless fact, but "the pale" in the real world referred to the English controlled and settled part of Ireland (around Dublin) around the middle ages. So when people talk about "beyond the pale" it actually means something horrific an Irish savage would do. Probably has no bearing whatsoever on Mundis, but I just think its neat.

VVV: From descriptions, I didn't take the pale as a void, but as a twilight zone where up is down and cats and dogs marry each other.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

wit posted:

Oh, umm... read this.

The pale? I'm aware of that, but a void of absolute nothingness doesn't strike me as an alien environment you'd need to scout artists for. It's nothing.

Unless they have some grand reveal in store which significantly changes our understanding of the pale of course

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pale basically means fence palisade comes from the same etymology. The English Pale is just a way to say the areas inside England's control in Ireland

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

What's the best build to get the most lore from the game? I never built out Encyclopedia but I assume it would involve Intellect and Psyche, with Shivers probably too.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

sci-fi doesn't have to mean flying around in spaceships

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

zenguitarman posted:

What's the best build to get the most lore from the game? I never built out Encyclopedia but I assume it would involve Intellect and Psyche, with Shivers probably too.

obviously every skill will reveal some things about the world, but encyclopedia will overload you with setting/history details while shivers and esprit de corps have a bunch of cutaway scenes that flesh out the world around you

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

zenguitarman posted:

definitely the skills to be prioritized are Encyclopedia, Shivers, Inland Empire and Esprit-de-Corps (it has several checks that do with Revachol and its history)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Pale basically means fence palisade comes from the same etymology. The English Pale is just a way to say the areas inside England's control in Ireland

It's also where we get the term "beyond the pale".
                        /

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

sci-fi doesn't have to mean flying around in spaceships

*Aerostatics*

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

repiv posted:

The pale? I'm aware of that, but a void of absolute nothingness doesn't strike me as an alien environment you'd need to scout artists for. It's nothing.

Unless they have some grand reveal in store which significantly changes our understanding of the pale of course

?

???

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
A strange grey nothingness that people traverse in some kind of blimp-copters, at the very real risk of getting forever lost or losing their minds into a haze of terminal nostalgy... You know, just like we do on Earth!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah yeah the Pale is weird, I'm just not sure how it would fit into hiring artists to visually depict it as an alien environment. It's described as being objectively almost impossible to observe, and subjectively as a barrage of nostalgia, which is the opposite of alien.

Re-reading the lore the thing that sticks out is the "number barrier", the never-explored point so deep into the pale that numbers stop working, so if our player character is going there they could go wild with reality itself breaking down. Maybe it's that.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well, here's another article that IMO raises some pretty good points for why it might well not be some newfangled space sci fi thing.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-creator-of-disco-elysium-is-looking-for-artists-with-a-love-of-sci-fi-and-space/

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
gently caress the police BUT

it’s been pretty fun being an actual good cop on Sherlock run with 5 motorics and intellect

Got to talk to the Easter egg only available on day one, much creepier than I imagined, and I’m swimming in money off the strength of noticing every bit of loose change in the map. Also, I don’t think my build had anything to do with it, but I didn’t even know you can make the Working Class woman missing persons search an actual case she’d accept. Seeing a bunch in general I haven’t seen before

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 1, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
today's Google doodle is playable petanque

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Empty Sandwich posted:

today's Google doodle is playable shotput

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

lel

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Nordick posted:

Well, here's another article that IMO raises some pretty good points for why it might well not be some newfangled space sci fi thing.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-creator-of-disco-elysium-is-looking-for-artists-with-a-love-of-sci-fi-and-space/

quote:

Robert Kurvitz says one of the most exciting things I've ever heard about an unreleased game with regards to the studio's future work: "I'd like to do what Baldur's Gate 2 did for for Baldur's Gate 1."

quote:

Additionally, the fantastic coffee table book that came with Iam8bit's limited edition physical release of Disco Elysium has some further teasing from Kurvitz about the studio's next steps: "So far we've only managed to show you a tiny, insignificant corner of it [Elysium]: the district of Martinaise in Revachol West, on Insulinde. I cannot begin to tell you how introductory it is."

This makes it seem pretty clear they aren't done with the world of Elysium. I was skeptical of a sequel but tbh the way he talks about it makes me pretty excited.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I get why they're moving to a more robust engine in the form of UE5, but I really really hope they find a way to do that without losing the art style.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Brosnan posted:

I get why they're moving to a more robust engine in the form of UE5, but I really really hope they find a way to do that without losing the art style.

as long as they keep modeling and texturing things in the same style it should look more or less the same and it might not even run like complete rear end this time

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Gonna be difficult to make Disco Elysium 2:Shadows of Revachol now that David Warner has passed away. But the Throne of Cuno expansion will be much anticipated.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
you must compress your poo poo before venturing forth

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
[Gary voice] If you could go to Seol, it *would* be a lot like science fiction, but real!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I would be beyond shocked if their next game was not set on Elysium

It's a world they spent decades making, why would they ditch that and start from scratch

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Zeniel posted:

Gonna be difficult to make Disco Elysium 2:Shadows of Revachol now that David Warner has passed away. But the Throne of Cuno expansion will be much anticipated.

Did Cuno's accent land for everyone else? I liked the character, but found the accent a bit jarring. Well done accent, and great lines, but just didn't feel like a fit. UK and Irish people's ears prick up over accents and can more or less tell where someones from give or take like 10 miles just from listening to them. Cuno sounded like he was plopped there and not a local kid. That's my lovely, wrong opinion anyway.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Cuno's from fuckin' NIGHT CITY, pig

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

wit posted:

Did Cuno's accent land for everyone else? I liked the character, but found the accent a bit jarring. Well done accent, and great lines, but just didn't feel like a fit. UK and Irish people's ears prick up over accents and can more or less tell where someones from give or take like 10 miles just from listening to them. Cuno sounded like he was plopped there and not a local kid. That's my lovely, wrong opinion anyway.

my version of this is the black Hardy Revachol native with a southern US accent. or hell, the cryptozoologist's wife, also a native, whose accent is kind of New England iirc. or Kim, come to think of it. there's no consistency so I just sort of shrugged it off, but I imagine that there's a version of that problem for everybody.

(also the main VA can't hit a lot of the French pronunciations but that didn't bother me in the least.)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Freelancer voice: "We don't *run* Revachol, but we have an *understanding* with the people who do"

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

wit posted:

I still think a lot about the original Cuno voice. I don’t know whether it’s accurate but it’s my favorite VA performance ever.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

wit posted:

That's just how people in Night City talk you ignorant gently caress

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Old Cuno was the greatest VA in video game history

Just 120% drug fueled, completely uncalled for aggression

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is my favorite line read in history

https://youtu.be/DoGlE4G8DyE

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I imagine Revachol to resemble Montreal in many ways, so you've got a bunch of immigrants who bring in their own accents, plus a "native" population split between anglophones and francophones. Cuno's surname being De Ruyter (iirc dutch in origin) seems to indicate that his family is among the immigrants to the area.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I miss the OG voice, and while I think it did a great job of immediately giving you the character's vibes, I think the new voice is better for a fully voiced experience.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My only query about the sequel is that DE feels like a pretty complete manifesto and that manifesto is what makes it special (otherwise it's just a trivially easy point and click adventure game). Where do you go from there?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

wit posted:

Thought unlocked: Scouse cop

wit
Jul 26, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Thought unlocked: Scouse cop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lip34bQtR1c

Thought internalised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Alchenar posted:

My only query about the sequel is that DE feels like a pretty complete manifesto and that manifesto is what makes it special (otherwise it's just a trivially easy point and click adventure game). Where do you go from there?

I don't think it'll be a sequel as such - but whatever they do next will still be set in the same game world. No idea where or what genre though