Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

OwlFancier posted:

Half of that isn't even greek, but the As are all Ls

It's all Greek, just with the deltas and zetas on their side. (The C's are lunate sigmas.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

MeinPanzer posted:

So how long until the TERF analyses of the skull shapes and neck profiles of every member of the team begin rolling out? Or am I behind the (phrenological) curve here?

Well the groundwork has already been done by the phrenologists of the world.

https://www.voice-online.co.uk/news/uk-news/2022/07/28/all-white-lionesses-stop-black-girls-from-dreaming-about-playing-for-england/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/07/26/bbc-hit-racism-complaints-comments-englands-all-white-lionesses/

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Excuse me, mate—ever heard of a little documentary called Bend it Like Beckham? If you watch it I think you’ll find that Racism is over in women’s football.

Edit: would love to see some editorials arguing that the team isn’t all white because some players are of Irish ancestry. Come on you bloody gammon punters, get to it!!!

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 1, 2022

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Nikita Parris came on as an (admittedly late) substitute and is black.

I wonder if being able to take your kid to training or matches 3-4 times a week is a barrier to young women from lower income households being able to play at professional clubs. I had a [third?] cousin who was at a men's club as a junior and his parents would end up driving him all over the place for training and matches. Probably spent upwards of £5k per year on petrol alone.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone know much about Prospect as a union? Are they decent?

I had no idea that there were people at my work who are part of them and they have recently been getting the message out about rejecting our companies poor pay offer that's well below inflation in favour of one much closer to inflation. Obviously I agree with all this and would much rather be paid fairly but I know nothing about Prospect themselves.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Aphex- posted:

I had no idea that there were people at my work who are part of them and they have recently been getting the message out about rejecting our companies poor pay offer that's well below inflation in favour of one much closer to inflation. Obviously I agree with all this and would much rather be paid fairly but I know nothing about Prospect themselves.

As always, the national Union being good or not doesn't really matter if your local branch is good. Good luck!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

kingturnip posted:

I wonder if being able to take your kid to training or matches 3-4 times a week is a barrier to young women from lower income households being able to play at professional clubs. I had a [third?] cousin who was at a men's club as a junior and his parents would end up driving him all over the place for training and matches. Probably spent upwards of £5k per year on petrol alone.

This has very much been the case historically in men's football so no reason it wouldn't be the same - especially given the lack of women's clubs to play for. At least with mens football there are the 92 professional clubs of the pyramid (and more below that) compared to the paucity of options in the women's game.

Pele's dad was a player and an injury ended his career. His mum was apparently against Pele playing too because she didn't think it'd work out.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Financual situation is very much a factor. My stepdad was apparently quite the player and was offered a trial with a big club when he was 14 but his dad had a long term illness and his employer at the time (this was the early 60s) basically said 'if you go for that trial you can forget the job' so he had to give up the dream.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MeinPanzer posted:

It's all Greek, just with the deltas and zetas on their side. (The C's are lunate sigmas.)

Right, yeah, I'd not recognised the zeta (thought more like the Cyrillic i) but otherwise had it, so it's basically DLD SAZ LAZSX.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

kingturnip posted:

A former pro on Football Weekly said that this is exactly the case. A lot of the training grounds etc are in suburbs or towns outside the urban centres, and to get there requires EITHER several hours worth of bus journeys and the requisite bus fares, OR a parent / guardian with the time and means to drive you there. Hence : most female pros are relatively affluent, and relatively white.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I seem to recall hearing last night during the ending celebrations that the striker who scored the winning goal could only afford in her teens to travel to outside the stadium and buy a booklet outside the stadium before returning home.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Almost like the effects of a decade of austerity partly targeted at school sports facilities are coming home to roost.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Perfect Element posted:

A former pro on Football Weekly said that this is exactly the case. A lot of the training grounds etc are in suburbs or towns outside the urban centres, and to get there requires EITHER several hours worth of bus journeys and the requisite bus fares, OR a parent / guardian with the time and means to drive you there. Hence : most female pros are relatively affluent, and relatively white.
There's also how passively racist groups of white middle class and upwards mums can be, more than likely there are BAME girls trying to get into these teams all the time and not being chosen because their parents aren't part of the right social circles.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Aphex- posted:

They're the civil service union among other things, so they're generally more in favour of compromise over confrontation. They do seem well organised and willing to support their members in workplace disputes or whatever but I wouldn't expect them to be particularly militant.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Dabir posted:

the effects of a decade of austerity

Dabir posted:

sports are coming home

Austerity confirmed good.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

domhal posted:

Austerity confirmed good.

(Very Paul Joseph Watsonly)

Imagine My Shock when I saw LEFTISTS - the CHAMPIONS of diversity - CELEBRATING an ALL WHITE FOOTBALL SQUAD. These POINTY HEADS claim to LOVE affirmative action, but take it AWAY and (continues in this deranged manner for far too long)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Aphex- posted:

I'm a Prospect rep and while the union leadership isn't as militant as some might like they're good enough, and if they're what you've got in your workplace then it's the one to go for. And as others have said when it comes to pay etc. your local branch is more important. Get involved and make it more hardcore if you want.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Miftan posted:

As always, the national Union being good or not doesn't really matter if your local branch is good. Good luck!

Wolfsbane posted:

They're the civil service union among other things, so they're generally more in favour of compromise over confrontation. They do seem well organised and willing to support their members in workplace disputes or whatever but I wouldn't expect them to be particularly militant.

sebzilla posted:

I'm a Prospect rep and while the union leadership isn't as militant as some might like they're good enough, and if they're what you've got in your workplace then it's the one to go for. And as others have said when it comes to pay etc. your local branch is more important. Get involved and make it more hardcore if you want.

Thanks all! They've got a meeting for members and non members later so I'll definitely check it out and see what they say.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

thought i’d see how you’d get to carrington training ground (Man U) from manchester piccadilly with public transport and its at best 50 mins and you have to have a car for the last 20 mins

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Seem to recall as well one of the lads from our previous Euro going had to travel something ridiculous like three hours each way to train as a yute.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

(Very Paul Joseph Watsonly)

Imagine My Shock when I saw LEFTISTS - the CHAMPIONS of diversity - CELEBRATING an ALL WHITE FOOTBALL SQUAD. These POINTY HEADS claim to LOVE affirmative action, but take it AWAY and (continues in this deranged manner for far too long)

posts you can hear

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sounds like every talented young footballer should move to Dingwall, because Ross County's training facility is next to the stadium, & even if it was in the suburbs, well, pretty sure you can walk from one side of Dingwall to the other in about half an hour. As it is, it's probably under 10 minutes walk on matchdays from the finest cultural hotspot in Dingwall's town centre to the football ground. And yes, that hotspot is a Wimpy. Perfect for a working class family, aside from the total absence of employment in the area.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Wimpy is not good, sorry.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dingwall

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
that name surely belongs to australia

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

josh04 posted:

Wimpy is not good, sorry.

I didn't say it was, merely that it is is the most exciting thing in Dingwall aside from the football club.

Well, I suppose there's the award winning butcher, but as a vegetarian I'm even less likely to go in there than I am Wimpy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Can't remember the last time I went to a Wimpy, there used to be one in the bowling alley but both were shut down and replaced with a gym.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Me and my friends back in 6th form found a mr wimpy costume abandoned in pretty good nick so we took it to a couple of bangface weekenders and it went down a treat.

Very hard to dance in though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

And , as always, Yeats' The Second Coming applies "The best lack all conviction, while the worst / Are full of passionate intensity"

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

My only lasting memory of Wimpy is that drat sausage curled and cut up into a bap.

Oh, and the brown derby.

Oddly enough there’s one in South Bermondsey, the last bastion of the white working class in south east London (Millwall territory).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lol drat

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

yung lambic posted:

Oh, and the brown derby.

Please do not elaborate on the depraved sex acts you witnessed at Wimpy

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Jel Shaker posted:

thought i’d see how you’d get to carrington training ground (Man U) from manchester piccadilly with public transport and its at best 50 mins and you have to have a car for the last 20 mins

Etihad Campus on the other hand has a tram stop at the doors and is not far from the centre. Glazers mudded again.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Lol Nandy is running then. She's just gone and has some photos taken with a CWU picket

https://twitter.com/NWCWU/status/1554030292184219648?t=SxxRaZ8sDoR8sg2qj4UbRg&s=19

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
TOWNTH

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

yung lambic posted:

My only lasting memory of Wimpy is that drat sausage curled and cut up into a bap.

Oh, and the brown derby.

Oddly enough there’s one in South Bermondsey, the last bastion of the white working class in south east London (Millwall territory).

Goin down The Blue, come on you lions

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I mean it is funny but at least she has some sort of theory on economic inequality which puts her a rung above kieth

Mebh
May 10, 2010

They're gonna do that aren't they. Quietly dispatch the stairmaster for someone slightly more politically acceptable to the left and folks will eat it up.

I mean, i do hope they are that politically shrewd to realise most people think the leader is the problem and use Starmer as a bullet shield, but I have my doubts.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Mebh posted:

They're gonna do that aren't they. Quietly dispatch the stairmaster for someone slightly more politically acceptable to the left and folks will eat it up.

I mean, i do hope they are that politically shrewd to realise most people think the leader is the problem and use Starmer as a bullet shield, but I have my doubts.

No it's Labour so they'll gently caress up and leave him in charge due to infighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/abbierh_/status/1554057581609590785

Shout out to all the cestrians, just keep being you.